x . . . . . . . . . . xxx : : : : : : . . . . . . . xxx : : : x
x . . . . . E . . . . xxx : : : : : : xxx . . . . . xxx : : : x
x . 3 . . 6 . . . . . xxx : : : : : : xxx . . . . . xxx : : : x
x . . . . . . . . . . xxx : : : : : : xxx . . . . . xxx : : : x
x . . . . . . . . . . xxx : : : : : : xxx . . . . . xxx : : : x
x . . . . . . . . . . . . : : : : : : xxx . . . . . . . : : : x
x . . . . . . . . . . . . : : : : : : xxx . . . . . . . : : : x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a question. I a playing a pvp arena on another site, and its me (T) vs another guy (E).

Above is the map used, where x represents a wall. Now, he managed to shoot me with a spell from his position. But GM says that I cant charge him witjout being able to turn corners like with twisted charge. But I think that if oppenent can hit me, then I can charge him. Thoughts?

Edit: To make code display properly you might need to quote me, and go into preview, to see it as it should be, and not all messed up.

illyahr
2014-05-05, 12:04 PM
He's right. The wall prevents you from charging but it does give you partial cover from ranged attacks. That's something, at least.

OldTrees1
2014-05-05, 12:33 PM
Draw a line from each corner of your square to the corresponding corner of your destination square.
If you path does not include any obstacles (or the obstacles can be bypassed via Jump or Tumble) then you might be able to charge.
In this example at least one line (bottom right corners) is interrupted by the corner of the wall. (Same reason you have partial cover)

Diarmuid
2014-05-05, 01:09 PM
Having Line of Effect to someone is not the same as having:

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here's what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can't charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can't charge.

...to them

Edit - If it was a spell requiring a Ranged Touch or other attack, and he did not apply a penalty for Partial Cover, then that's an angle you could argue (but it would only matter if he only hit you by a couple points). For something like Magic Missle or anything that doesnt require an attack roll, only total cover would break the LoE required for targetting.

OldTrees1
2014-05-05, 01:29 PM
Having Line of Effect to someone is not the same as having:

...to them

Edit - If it was a spell requiring a Ranged Touch or other attack, and he did not apply a penalty for Partial Cover, then that's an angle you could argue (but it would only matter if he only hit you by a couple points). For something like Magic Missle or anything that doesnt require an attack roll, only total cover would break the LoE required for targetting.

Correct but I was not describing line of effect. (was I?) I was describing the part of what you quoted (corresponding lines not being interrupted) that was applicable to the OP's case.

HighWater
2014-05-05, 01:39 PM
Correct but I was not describing line of effect. (was I?) I was describing the part of what you quoted (corresponding lines not being interrupted) that was applicable to the OP's case.

No, you were both basically arguing the same thing (that being hit by a spell with line of effect is not the same as being able to charge the spellcaster).
You were both saying Line of Effect is not the same as having a clear path to charge down.

Diarmuid
2014-05-05, 01:51 PM
Correct, I was answering OP rather then responding directly to the post previous to mine.

OldTrees1
2014-05-05, 03:29 PM
Correct, I was answering OP rather then responding directly to the post previous to mine.

Ah, I misunderstood.

An addendum to your quote.
Jump and Tumble can be used to charge despite some obstacles. This is described in more detail in the Rules Compendium.

Diarmuid
2014-05-05, 03:31 PM
There is also a skill trick and various magic items that allow for breaking the general rule. Those are all exceptions.