PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Aaqa?!??!?

McClintock
2014-05-05, 12:09 PM
Why is the sword made of Mithral and not Cold Iron? Is there 3.5 evidence that Mithral counts as silver? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I am just so confused as to why they would have such a strong anti-chaos weapon made from a material that would not by-pass the DR of some of the more powerful Chaotic creatures.

Sith_Happens
2014-05-05, 02:33 PM
Is it an Axiomatic weapon? If so, there you go.

McClintock
2014-05-06, 07:39 AM
Does that mean it bypasses /Lawful DR? Or Cold Iron?

Cloud
2014-05-06, 08:29 AM
From what little I could find out about the sword from google, it would seem the owners were only against chaos, and didn't care about good or evil at all. Cold iron is notable for PCs to break the DR of demons, which are chaotic evil. The Axiomatic property of the weapon would be enough to overcome DR/Lawful.

That being said the pure chaos enemies in D&D are pretty underrepresented, and mithril doesn't do anything as a metal for weapons. That and even chaotic good outsiders have their DR overcome by cold iron, so I think if you were going to update the sword for 3.5, you might as well make it a +2 Axiomatic Cold Iron weapon. (Which is really underwhelming for what the weapon is meant to be, maybe it should be +5 when used by a lawful neutral creature or something, IDK).

McClintock
2014-05-06, 11:12 AM
Cool, thanks. I would like to present to my DM this POV. It just makes no sense being made of mithril, other than it has a short sword counterpart. Even that would not require mithril for TWF. Not sure what the creators were after here.

NichG
2014-05-06, 01:22 PM
IIRC, the Sword of Aaqa is associated with the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, who are part of the Rod of Seven Parts adventure, which is all about assembling an artifact of perfect law. You have to keep in mind, it was originally a 2ed module, which means that things like the sword being made of mithril make as much sense as anything else, since the whole DR/cold iron or silver didn't exist in the same form. Various fiends in 2ed might be burned by silver, but not in any way that made a mechanical difference when fighting them, so making a silvered sword would not have made a huge difference.

Keldrin
2014-05-06, 01:33 PM
The swords show up in the Age of Worms AP. Just one of the many things that drove me nuts playing it.