PDA

View Full Version : Question about Polymorph any object

Elycium
2014-05-05, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question about that spell.

The problem about it is the next: A player in my game, is trying to use the spell, to transform an Abomination. Now, it is said in the immunities of the creature: Abominations are immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any form-altering attack. They are not subject to ability drain, or ability damage. They are immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and are immune to one of five energy types (specific to the abomination).

That means, that it cannot be transformed by any method, but the player insist that Polymorph any object, in fact, can do such. This player has a lot more experience in the game than I, so I question to you people, can the spell really do that?

Deathra13
2014-05-05, 02:58 PM
If I am not mistaken your player is wrong, since that would fall under both polymorphing and a form altering attack. Especially since PaO has the wording "functions like polymorph except" etc. However I am not 100% on this but that would be my interpretation of it.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-05, 03:15 PM
Which creature?
For as it stands Aberrations are not innately immune to polymorphing. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_aberrationtype&alpha=)

Graypairofsocks
2014-05-05, 03:17 PM
Deathra13 is correct.
Polymorph Any Object is a Polymorphing effect, so it won't affect them.

Which creature?
For as it stands Aberrations are not innately immune to polymorphing. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_aberrationtype&alpha=)

He means Abominations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm).

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-05, 03:25 PM
Deathra13 is correct.
Polymorph Any Object can't effect them.

He means Abominations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm).

Damn, can't believe I messed up reading it THAT badly. :smallredface:

Graypairofsocks
2014-05-05, 03:29 PM
That means, that it cannot be transformed by any method, but the player insist that Polymorph any object, in fact, can do such. This player has a lot more experience in the game than I, so I question to you people, can the spell really do that?

I forgot to ask this: Could you tell us the player's reasoning for why it would work?
I am curious.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-05, 03:31 PM
Also worth noting is that creatures innately capable of self-polymorph can simply shift back the next round. Polymorph Any Object merely amuses a Gold Dragon; amuses, and annoys. So it's amused in a contemptuous "I think I shall kill you now. Yes, I believe I shall, and it will be amusing" sort of way.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-05, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question about that spell.

The problem about it is the next: A player in my game, is trying to use the spell, to transform an Abomination. Now, it is said in the immunities of the creature: Abominations are immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any form-altering attack. They are not subject to ability drain, or ability damage. They are immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and are immune to one of five energy types (specific to the abomination).

PAO and Poly do not grant the extraordinary special qualities. This means that the player will get the racial form, any racial traits, any extraordinary special attacks, but still be susceptible to whatever he was in his original form.
Also to note is that PAO has no entry on HD restriction, so since it is like poly, you use poly's HD restriction which is 15. So long as you do not have an abomination of 15 HD he will be unable to change to said abomination.

Elycium
2014-05-05, 05:20 PM
First than anything, thanks to all for the answers.

I forgot to ask this: Could you tell us the player's reasoning for why it would work?
I am curious.

Well, it is more than anything for the description of the monster. Because you see, it looks like an undead but it is not one (the abomination in question is created by me).
After that, he told me that an undead would be transformed pretty easy by the spell, especially since it doesn’t have fortitude save, but then, I told him that it was not a living dead creature, but an abomination, but he kept insisting. And so, I came here to ask.

Maybe was his pride too, I dont know.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-05, 05:23 PM

Well, it is more than anything for the description of the monster. Because you see, it looks like an undead but it is not one (the abomination in question is created by me).
After that, he told me that an undead would be transformed pretty easy by the spell, especially since it doesn’t have fortitude save, but then, I told him that it was not a living dead creature, but an abomination, but he kept insisting. And so, I came here to ask.

Since you can stack templates, an Abomination created as the spawn of a death god could be BOTH Abominable and Undead. And probably way creepy.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-05, 05:30 PM
After that, he told me that an undead would be transformed pretty easy by the spell, especially since it doesn’t have fortitude save,

Something I CAN address!

Undead are normally immune to effect that require a fort save, that is "unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless"

In which case (Like PaO), they'd still get to make a fort save, they just have a naturally poor one (Poor base fort + 0 since - is an effective 10 in this case)

I know it doesn't actually pertain to the issue, just some food for though.

Also I needed to redeem my former embarrassment.

Graypairofsocks
2014-05-05, 07:38 PM

There is actually an Undead Abomination called the Atropal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#atropal)(which is a giant undead stillborn god fetus (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44165_C5_atropal.jpg)).

It is still immune to Polymorphing despite being undead, the fact that Polymorph Any Object affects objects doesn't matter as being an Abomination still gives immunity.

Something I CAN address!

Undead are normally immune to effect that require a fort save, that is "unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless"

In which case (Like PaO), they'd still get to make a fort save, they just have a naturally poor one (Poor base fort + 0 since - is an effective 10 in this case)

I know it doesn't actually pertain to the issue, just some food for though.

Also I needed to redeem my former embarrassment.

Something useful: there is a feat somewhere that allows you to use your strength bonus for your fortidude saves.

I can't remember the name though.