PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder oracle curses- blackened

khachaturian
2014-05-05, 01:46 PM
for this curse, it says "You take a –4 penalty on weapon attack rolls, " emphasis mine

would you interpret this penalty to apply to spells and sla's that require an attack roll?

i am building a dual-cursed oracle with clouded vision, and i was trying to decide on the second curse, and wanted something that would be a juicy status effect for the oracle's burden spell.

Damian1335
2014-05-05, 02:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, no it does not also apply penalties to attack rolls with spells/etc.
This thought is backed up with the fact it gives you nothing but damaging spells, it seems a bit silly for it to make you completely terrible with the things it gives you.

Also, I suggest deafened and clouded vision.

khachaturian
2014-05-05, 02:44 PM
If I am not mistaken, no it does not also apply penalties to attack rolls with spells/etc.
This thought is backed up with the fact it gives you nothing but damaging spells, it seems a bit silly for it to make you completely terrible with the things it gives you.

well, at level 18, i could really become a miracle worker

grarrrg
2014-05-05, 09:54 PM
for this curse, it says "You take a –4 penalty on weapon attack rolls, " emphasis mine

would you interpret this penalty to apply to spells and sla's that require an attack roll?

Spells are not weapons.
Spells would have no penalty applied.

My personal interpretation, is that this should only apply to Manufactured (and Unarmed) Weapon attacks. Natural Weapons would receive no such penalty.
This is based on the flavor:
"Your hands and forearms are shriveled and blackened, as if you had plunged your arms into a blazing fire, and your thin, papery skin is sensitive to the touch."
Going by flavor, only the skin of your arms is affected, so any Bite/Gore/etc... attacks would work fine, and Claws are not skin, so they shouldn't be affected either (although Claws are up for some debate, given the location on the hands and all).

As far as "Burdening" others, this would be ideal.
As far as the Dual-Cursed "2nd Curse doesn't advance" this is pretty harsh to actually play with.

Pex
2014-05-06, 12:03 AM
Lame is not bad as a second curse depending on Mystery and/or build. You're as fast as a dwarf. It works best with Mysteries that have a Revelation that provides armor - Dark Tapestry, Ancestors, Bones, etc., or for whatever reason you're committed to wearing only light armor if that. If you know you will be wearing medium or heavy armor then forget it as a second curse. 15 ft speed sucks to have forever.

Ssalarn
2014-05-06, 10:38 AM
There was a thread over on the Paizo forums where the designer of the curse stepped in and stated that the penalty was supposed to apply only to manufactured weapons. Natural attacks and weapon-like spells (like rays) are not affected. I'll see if I can find the link.

**EDIT**

Here it is (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2og6x?Blood-of-Angels-FAQ-Candidates#2).

grarrrg
2014-05-06, 08:15 PM
there was a thread over on the paizo forums where the designer of the curse stepped in and stated that the penalty was supposed to apply only to manufactured weapons. Natural attacks and weapon-like spells (like rays) are not affected. I'll see if i can find the link.

**edit**

here it is (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2og6x?blood-of-angels-faq-candidates#2).

I win!7890