PDA

View Full Version : can q creature gAin hardness?

CyberThread
2014-05-05, 02:27 PM
Not dr but actually gain hardness

Rebel7284
2014-05-05, 02:33 PM
Metamorphosis -> animated object is the most straightforward way.
There are also ways involving haunt-shift.

mabriss lethe
2014-05-05, 02:40 PM
Alchemists have developed a little blue pill to help with this problem. However, if the condition persists for more than 4 hours, consult a cleric immediately.

Red Fel
2014-05-05, 03:02 PM

The two are essentially the same. Hardness is simply DR for objects.

Basically, the only creatures that could have hardness and DR are those which are in some way objects, such as constructs.

Eldaran
2014-05-05, 03:03 PM
The two are essentially the same. Hardness is simply DR for objects.

Basically, the only creatures that could have hardness and DR are those which are in some way objects, such as constructs.

Hardness is way better than DR, it applies to all damage, including elemental damage.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-05, 03:10 PM

Why would you want to get hardness? Did you want the creature to be strength checked to death? :smallwink:

nedz
2014-05-05, 06:43 PM
Fiend of Possession
Possess an object
Object has hardness, though since you are effectively ethereal: it's kind of moot.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-05, 07:59 PM
Caryatid columns (Fiend Folio?) have hardness, IIRC. So, find a way to put your mind or soul into one, or otherwise transform into one.

Spuddles
2014-05-05, 08:13 PM
Statue spell from the PHB gives you hardness.

Heh, hardness.

tyckspoon
2014-05-05, 08:54 PM
Why would you want to get hardness? Did you want the creature to be strength checked to death? :smallwink:

There's no standard rule relating Hardness to Break DCs, AFAIK, or even stating that everything with Hardness can be destroyed with a Break check. Which is to say, I think he'd be fine; having Hardness does not in itself make you a Breakable object.

Xerlith
2014-05-06, 03:39 AM
Magic weapons have hardness increase.
Beginning at 1st level, a monk treats his whole body as a weapon.
Enchant the monk - he's got hardness.
(This sounds so wrong...)

ShurikVch
2014-05-06, 04:22 AM
Templates "2 -in-1", like Symbiotic or Tauric.
One of creatures will be adamantine construct - so, resulting creature will get hardness of adamantine

Yogibear41
2014-05-06, 04:25 AM
Magic weapons have hardness increase.
Enchant the monk - he's got hardness.
(This sounds so wrong...)

You know if it was actually meant to work that way people might not rag on monks as much as they do, then again would still be no reason to stay for more than 2 levels anyway I guess, before speccing into your "greater magic weapon" casting class of choice.

TuggyNE
2014-05-06, 05:19 AM

This is a very common misconception that has, as far as I know, no particular rules basis. The actual rule is that monks have a number of options for making unarmed strikes: feet, hands, elbows, and knees. (Possibly headbutts as well.) The purpose of this is stated to be allowing them to make strikes with their hands full, which is nothing too amazing. There is nothing about "their entire body is a weapon"; that's just a gross oversimplification. (It's particularly gross in this context.)

Zombulian
2014-05-06, 09:22 AM
This is a very common misconception that has, as far as I know, no particular rules basis. The actual rule is that monks have a number of options for making unarmed strikes: feet, hands, elbows, and knees. (Possibly headbutts as well.) The purpose of this is stated to be allowing them to make strikes with their hands full, which is nothing too amazing. There is nothing about "their entire body is a weapon"; that's just a gross oversimplification. (It's particularly gross in this context.)

Look man, monks don't get nice things. So if there's a reading that allows me to use my buttcheeks in combat, I'm damn well gonna do it.

Andezzar
2014-05-06, 10:41 AM
This is a very common misconception that has, as far as I know, no particular rules basis. The actual rule is that monks have a number of options for making unarmed strikes: feet, hands, elbows, and knees. (Possibly headbutts as well.) The purpose of this is stated to be allowing them to make strikes with their hands full, which is nothing too amazing. There is nothing about "their entire body is a weapon"; that's just a gross oversimplification. (It's particularly gross in this context.)I'm not aware that anyone (including non-monks) is required to perform an Unarmed Strike with a particular body part. Since any part of the body can be used for the unarmed strike, technically the whole body is a natural weapon.

However nobody gets hardness from Magic Fang or Magic Weapon:

Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points.Normally creatures do not have hardness 0 but hardness -. You cannot add to a non-ability. They would gain the hit points though.

Zombulian
2014-05-06, 10:56 AM
I'm not aware that anyone (including non-monks) is required to perform an Unarmed Strike with a particular body part. Since any part of the body can be used for the unarmed strike, technically the whole body is a natural weapon.

However nobody gets hardness from Magic Fang or Magic Weapon:
Normally creatures do not have hardness 0 but hardness -. You cannot add to a non-ability. They would gain the hit points though.

Could you not argue that your body is the weapon that gains hardness though?

Kazudo
2014-05-06, 12:23 PM
Warforged + levels in Mountebank prestige class = Animated Object as Alter Ego.

I THINK that's how Animated Objects work. I could be blind stumbling drunk again.

gooddragon1
2014-05-06, 12:29 PM
Statue spell from the PHB gives you hardness.

Heh, hardness.

Sadly Oak Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/oakBody.htm) does not.

Rubik
2014-05-06, 12:33 PM
Yay, I get to post my monk build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) again!

I used the enhancement-bonus-to-hardness interpretation on him, and he's got quite a lot of hardness going on.

Psicrystals also have hardness, for what it's worth.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-05-06, 12:36 PM
Be an undead of less than 9 HD (Necropolitan works wonders) and use the Haunt Shift spell into a suit of armour, now you have hardness.

TuggyNE
2014-05-06, 07:47 PM
I'm not aware that anyone (including non-monks) is required to perform an Unarmed Strike with a particular body part.

Hmm. Well, it's a natural weapon, and natural weapons in general are presumably tied to some specific feature. The Monk entry implies that this feature is normally the fists/hands. Unless there's something that specifically says "yeah, sure, you can use whatever you like", it would seem you can't.

Rubik
2014-05-06, 07:57 PM
Hmm. Well, it's a natural weapon, and natural weapons in general are presumably tied to some specific feature. The Monk entry implies that this feature is normally the fists/hands.And elbows, knees, and feet. I'm sure you can do a head butt as well -- not to mention a body slam, shoulder ram, and so on.

Martial arts aren't limited to just fists, you know, and the monk description even mentions attacking with body parts other than just those.

Zombulian
2014-05-06, 08:33 PM
Hmm. Well, it's a natural weapon, and natural weapons in general are presumably tied to some specific feature. The Monk entry implies that this feature is normally the fists/hands. Unless there's something that specifically says "yeah, sure, you can use whatever you like", it would seem you can't.

Where did you get the feeling it was based around fists?

A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

The only time they mention fists is in the same sentence as elbows, knees, and feet.

TuggyNE
2014-05-06, 09:37 PM
Where did you get the feeling it was based around fists?

From the same quote you gave, of course. Here, let's look at it again.
This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full.

The fact that this apparently needs to be stated as part of a class feature that gives special versatility and power to the monk, along with the context being specifically allowing strikes with more than just the hands, implies that, in the absence of such a feature, ordinary characters cannot make unarmed strikes with their hands full. Logically, then, we'd assume that the reason for this is that unarmed strikes require use of the hands (fists being, of course, one of the more common hand-based strike forms).

Zombulian
2014-05-06, 09:41 PM
From the same quote you gave, of course. Here, let's look at it again.

The fact that this apparently needs to be stated as part of a class feature that gives special versatility and power to the monk, along with the context being specifically allowing strikes with more than just the hands, implies that, in the absence of such a feature, ordinary characters cannot make unarmed strikes with their hands full. Logically, then, we'd assume that the reason for this is that unarmed strikes require use of the hands (fists being, of course, one of the more common hand-based strike forms).

Not that your point isn't valid, but I could glean from that same reasoning, that WotC foresaw the bias of people just thinking that unarmed strikes are with fists, and clarified for people how they work.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-06, 09:49 PM
The fact that this apparently needs to be stated as part of a class feature that gives special versatility and power to the monk, along with the context being specifically allowing strikes with more than just the hands, implies that, in the absence of such a feature, ordinary characters cannot make unarmed strikes with their hands full.
Your supposition is refuted by the definition of unarmed strike as a weapon (Player's Handbook, page 121):
Strike, Unarmed: A Medium character deals 1d3 points of nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike, which may be a punch, kick, head butt, or other type of attack. It doesn't require any class feature. It doesn't even require the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Striking without using your hands is inherent in the nature of unarmed combat.

What you're referring to as indicative of a class feature is just embedded advertising wherein WotC wants you to think the Monk class is worthy. :smallsigh:

VoxRationis
2014-05-06, 10:05 PM
What about Green Star Adept? Slowly turns you into a construct, and I think you get some sort of hardness or DR—I forget which.

TuggyNE
2014-05-06, 11:07 PM
Your supposition is refuted by the definition of unarmed strike as a weapon (Player's Handbook, page 121): It doesn't require any class feature. It doesn't even require the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Striking without using your hands is inherent in the nature of unarmed combat.

Fair enough, I hadn't checked the glossary to see if there was some specific rule there. (Ugh, more rules segregation.)

Still, of course, none of that says anything about using your whole body, just that you can use a wide variety of specific locations, none of which is "your whole body".

Curmudgeon
2014-05-07, 12:02 AM
Fair enough, I hadn't checked the glossary to see if there was some specific rule there. (Ugh, more rules segregation.)
It's not the Glossary section; it's part of the weapon listings in the Equipment chapter.

Still, of course, none of that says anything about using your whole body, just that you can use a wide variety of specific locations, none of which is "your whole body".
Certainly you can't attack with your liver or spleen; however, other external body parts are included by "... or other type of attack".

I'm just waiting for someone in a game to say they Disarm their opponent's sword ... with their throat. :smallwink: I have seen Trip attacks described as being made with head butts. While implausible in real life, in D&D that combo is explicitly RAW legal.

TuggyNE
2014-05-07, 12:28 AM
It's not the Glossary section; it's part of the weapon listings in the Equipment chapter.

Wait, where? Did that get left out of the SRD too? :smallsigh:

Because yes, I did actually check the weapon listing.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-07, 12:32 AM
Wait, where? Did that get left out of the SRD too? :smallsigh:
Those are examples of body striking surfaces, so yes, they got left out.

Inevitability
2014-05-07, 03:14 AM
Flesh to stone would probably work.

Burst of Glacial Wrath (Dragon Magic) explicitly states that it can grant hardness, so that would work.

Both make you an inert statue, however...

Rubik
2014-05-07, 10:31 AM
Flesh to stone would probably work.

Burst of Glacial Wrath (Dragon Magic) explicitly states that it can grant hardness, so that would work.

Both make you an inert statue, however...Which is why you cast Astral Projection first, use those spells on your body, turn your projected form into an undead, then cast Haunt Shift?

More dangerous than storing your body in a demiplane, but it's still better than if you didn't have a demiplane available at all.

Spuddles
2014-05-08, 11:51 AM
this thread is hard

Rubik
2014-05-08, 11:53 AM
this thread is hardYou mean it makes you hard.

...if you follow its suggestions, anyway.