PDA

View Full Version : Opening trade (IC)

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-05, 04:43 PM
Opening trade

In Character

Three days ago you each signed the contract with the king. Two days ago you traveled with the king’s emissary, a man named Haldrick, to the town of Caldren with all the equipment you bought in advance. Yesterday you discovered that Caldren is a rather sleepy town and that the group you are with is the best company in town. You took the opportunity to get to know each other better and make the final preparations for your quest. Today, you got up early to travel to the entrance of the alleged corridor to the kingdom of Braathaken.

You arrive after four hours. You could have been a bit faster, but the landscapes in the foothills make for nice sightseeing, not to mention being so close to the massive towering peaks of the big mountain range that invited you to halt for a few minutes every now and then. Glaciers large enough to build a metropolis on in the far distance, clouds trying to climb the peaks, but never making it to the top. A bit lower, you spotted waterfalls so large they would be considered large rivers in most parts of the world. Birds circling the peaks. Well, birds, it is hard to judge at this distance, but some of the shapes you see flying must be at least twice the size of a horse. Anyway, reasons enough to take a bit longer finding the entrance. It is not like the corridor is going anywhere after having been there for aeons. Now, however, you have arrived.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lsTMRocB0Ak/Tpcm57XhfoI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/8EoBR4ud388/s1600/DCC13-4.jpg

You are standing some 60 feet away from a gaping hole in the mountain side. No sign of life, but you do see signs of living. In front of the cave mouth, you find an organized mess. Logs that should not be there, something that looks like a fireplace and collections of bones here and there: piles of bones that may be from large game, but also some smaller piles that may very well be of humanoid origin. It looks like something is living here, or at least regularly passes by. Instinctively, the group halts and silences. What does this mean?

What will you do? Barge in collectively, or take a more subtle approach?

Silver Night
2014-05-07, 09:26 PM
Opal

Opal eyes the cave entrance, her crossbow at the ready. "Anyone want to volunteer to go first? I don't think they mentioned anything about the inhabitants this close to the entrance."

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-08, 03:22 PM
"Uninvited guests. Then again, they might think the same of us."

JanusJones
2014-05-08, 03:41 PM
The gnomish lass adjusts her belt. "Time to start earning the King's coin, I suppose. You lot aren't much for sneaking, are you - big folk, and bold, and such. Why don't I take a look-see, subtle-like, and find out what I can about what's inside?"

She takes her bow from her back, and with a flash of a white grin, she's off, without waiting to hear from the others.

Sneaking towards the entrance!
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-08, 03:46 PM
Ilkiar loads his repeating crossbow. "I'll back you up if you find anything."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-08, 03:56 PM
The gnome stalks off, as silent as the night. She aproaches the entrance of the cave, and there is no response from inside so far, as far as the others can tell.

You approach the entrance of the cave. It is dark inside, but the little daylight that pours in is enough to make a first assessment of the situation. The cave is a suspiciously straight (probably man-made) corridor, some 15 feet wide, at least 60 feet deep and 12 feet high. On the left side, there is an opening in the wall some 15 feet into the cave which provides entrance to yet another room. From the cave-mouth you can't look in. However, you hear at least two creatures snore. From the bass-y sound of the snores, these creatures have chests and windpipes of considerable size.

JanusJones
2014-05-08, 03:59 PM
Sneaking closer, Indy will take a peek around the corner to see who's napping.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-08, 04:41 PM
Not wanting to let the gnome out of reach of his spells Ilkiar moves up the enterance of the cave.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-08, 04:47 PM
You peek around the corner and see a 25 by 25 foot room, again looking man-made. The Eastern wall is almost completely formed by a portcullis. Can't really say what is beyond that. In the room, you see two Ogres sleeping deep. There's a third one, however, which is awake (Ogre 2). He is sitting, lazily picking his teeth with a bone. The smell is pretty bad. He does not notice you, you think.

Map (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpSVVseU1sOW85UzQ/edit?usp=sharing)

JanusJones
2014-05-08, 05:05 PM
Moving quickly, Indy knocks an arrow and lets fly into the face of the ogre who's awake!

Knowledge Devotion check for giants = Knowledge (nature): [roll0]+9 (with Collector of Stories)
Check Bonus to Attack Damage:
15 or below: +1
16—25: +2
26—30: +3

Spending 1 inspiration to hit, 4 on sneak attack.
Attack/crit: [roll1]+KD/[roll2]+1
Damage/crit: 28 = [roll3]+1+[roll4]/[roll5]+2
Move action back 30 ft.

As she comes sprinting back from the mouth of the cave, the gnome hollers "Ogres - pegged one, but he's got friends!"

Silver Night
2014-05-08, 06:17 PM
Opal

Opal moves so that she is about 50 feet from the cave entrance, and covers it with her crossbow.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-08, 06:39 PM
Ilkiar runs 30 ft back from the cave entrance before casting Web over the cave mouth to block it up.

"That should hold them back!"

4, 2rd level spells left

Jacior
2014-05-09, 01:07 AM
"I know not what help I will be in this fight, but I will do what I can." Caldris says, standing behind the group's warrior types. "I did not ask Pelor for spells that would be useful in fighting ogres today."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-09, 09:30 AM
The figure clad in steel, kneeling before the cave with sword in hand, might have been confused with a well maintained statue. If not from the soft prayer emanating from beneath the helm.

"And may my sword be as swift and just as the lightning from your fist. In turn, may my actions be virtuous, and bring glory to your name. Amen."

The figure slowly stood up, armor glinting in the sunlight, as if with approval of a higher power.

"Now I am ready."

As she comes sprinting back from the mouth of the cave, the gnome hollers "Ogres - pegged one, but he's got friends!"

Unslinging his shield, the Paladin Stillwater stepped forward.

"Stay behind me." He walked towards the cave, 4 feet before the web, planting himself firmly in the middle. He would be the first, and last thing these Ogres would see.

"And in the future please remember," He stated aloud. " It’s dangerous to go alone."

Is the cave big enough for me to stand in front of, without getting in the way of Opal's shot? We know Ogres are huge, and I'm big but still smaller than one of those blighters. So I hope being close won't mean she can't plug these beasts' holes in. Opal if I'm too close, let me know and I'll move back a bit. I just want to get a chance to Attack of opportunity these guys as they get stuck in the web.

And protect you squishies, I guess. :smallbiggrin:

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-09, 01:53 PM
The cave mouth is suddenly completely blocked by thick, gooey spider webs. Duncan readies for combat, standing just a step away from the webs, while the rest of the team stands behind Duncan. Some close, like Caldris, but most others a bit further. Full of anticipation, you wait and see what happens. Six long, silent seconds pass. It is getting awkward....was the gnome fooling around?

Inside, you hear the faint sound of two persons snoring. Given the dampening effect of the web and the distance between you and the source, you'd say the snorers are snoring pretty loudly.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-09, 02:03 PM
Duncan focusses his sight to make sure if evil is heading his way.

Use Detect Evil. If it knocks me out at this point, ignore rest of post.

Duncan turns around to the Whisper Gnome.

"I am not certain his friends are awake yet." He whispers loudly. "Should I let them know they have guests to greet?"

If given the affirmative by anyone, he pulls back his sword and starts hammering on his shield, making a loud sound. He keeps banging until he can see or hear figures come running towards him from the cave. Then he readies himself for battle once again.

"Prepare for battle!"*

This assumes he sees figures running towards him after banging.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-09, 02:06 PM
Duncan detects no evil.

JanusJones
2014-05-09, 02:44 PM
Indy grabs at the man's hands. "What kind of fool are you?! We're here to explore - not to fight! If we can manage this without wasting time, blood, or spells, why would we wake them!"

She keeps her bow to hand. "If they don't come running in the next five minutes, I can dispatch another one, then another. Easier that way."

She looks grim. "The only good ogre's a dead one."

Anyone with Know (local) might know the source of her racism.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-09, 04:43 PM
Ilkiar walks toward the cave entrance reducing the gap between himself and the paladin to a few short feet before readying his crossbow.
"I would prefer to save my spells though if you wish to end this in bloodshed I will not judge. Though make certain not to overextend yourselves if that is your choice."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-09, 06:24 PM
Sorry not from around here. No Knowledge Local

The Paladin looks at Indy as she grabs his arm, his face as impassive as the helm he wore. While he did not know her well, he knew hatred. He had seen this kind of hatred before.

"I have never felt the desire to kill someone before I had met them. And I do not intend to start this day with bad habits." He moves his hand out of hers.

"You are right. We are not here to fight." He turns to face the rest of the group. "Thus I see no need why we should interact with them at all.

"We shall walk around them, through a different path." He glance at the Gnome. "We will walk just behind you, and you can mark on the path where the ogres sleep, so we won't run into them by accident if we backtrack." He glances at the web.

"Ilkar, can we just cut through the web, or must we wait for it to wear off?"

Indy lead the way. I'll walk behind you, trying to keep within 20 feet of you. Closer if your character says so, but I'm worried about the lack of sneakiness my character has in fullplate.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-09, 06:42 PM
Ilkiar dismisses the webbing answering his question without saying a word in reply

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-09, 06:59 PM
Web has a (D) behind the duration line. That means the caster can (D)ismiss the effect whenever he wants.

Jacior
2014-05-09, 07:25 PM
"I do not believe that the ogre's are likely to let us pass peacefully. If they awaken while we try to sneak by them, they will most likely attack us." Caldris says, gesturing slightly with his mace.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-09, 07:59 PM
"And if we waste resources engaging in an unnecessary fight, we will never make it though the dungeon." He glanced at the disappearing web.

"Still, it would make more sense to make the decision from within the dungeon. If there is an alternative path we can walk without waking, we should use it. Or perhaps when we see the Ogres, we can decide if a pre-emptive strike is the best course of action.

"Lead on Indy." He follows

Silver Night
2014-05-09, 09:01 PM
Opal

"Well, they did not awaken, apparently, with all the yelling. Perhaps if we took up a closer position, and someone suited to stealth discovered if there is a way by them without conflict." Opal frowns slightly, "Though I can't say I would feel entirely happy with them at our backs."

She (cautiously) moves closer to the cave entrance, wary eyes on the depths.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-09, 09:16 PM
"I agree with Opal, leaving the ogres here will just give us more trouble on our way back. Our job is to clear this place is it not even if we can get past them letting them stay so close to the entrance is hardly a good way to start off."

JanusJones
2014-05-09, 09:33 PM
"I know from ogres. My people have lived in fear of them for decades. You leave an ogre behind you, and you end up dead."

Indy looks at the helmed warrior. "Look, I'm all for cooperation, but you seem to have the idea you get me to be an expert AND tell me how to do my job. That isn't how it works. You wanna chat with the ogres, be my guest, but you aren't sneaking by in that getup." She eyes his armor with a professional's distaste for noisy accoutrements.

"So if anybody's leading the diplomatic mission, let's have it be you. I doubt they're going to be particularly chatty when they see feathers where their buddy's eye used to be."

Silver Night
2014-05-09, 09:47 PM
Opal

Opal seems faintly disapproving, "It seems we have a conflict whether we want one or not. Let's be done with it as quickly as possible. How many are there, and where are they located?"

JanusJones
2014-05-09, 09:53 PM
Indy holds up two fingers. "Around the corner, napping. If the big guy wants to be fair and square, he can run in banging and clanging to give them a chance to dent his armor, but I recommend a quiet approach."

Silver Night
2014-05-09, 09:59 PM
Opal

"Did you see if there is, indeed, a way past? Or do we have to go through their chamber to go further?"

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-09, 10:33 PM
"Either way, I do not see us getting past them to look around. Or, at least, I do not hear it." Xiphos motions toward the armored ones. "And as one of their number is already slain, combat will be unavoidable should they awaken. Killing them while they nap seems the most straight forward way to go about our business. Better than them waking up and attacking us from behind, even if we could sneak past them."

Jacior
2014-05-09, 11:06 PM
Caldris nods. "I have to agree with Ilkiar. Part of our task is to cleanse the tunnel of anything that's potentially dangerous to travelers."

JanusJones
2014-05-10, 10:45 AM
Indy nods vigorously and smiles broadly at Caldris and Xiphos, then turns triumphantly to Duncan. "Sensible folks! Maybe this trip won't go badly after all!"

She points with her chin at the humanoid bones surrounding the entrance. "Unless you still want to try chatting. Bet they stopped by for tea, too."

She adjusts the massive belt, festooned with gear, that hangs from her waist. "Give me a few minutes, and I might be able to take out one more before they wake up. No guarantees."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-10, 01:52 PM
Duncan hesitated. It was harder working with others. When he worked alone it seemed so easy, so black and white. But he knew he needed to work with these people or they would fail the dungeon.

But there are lines that can't be crossed.

Indy looks at the helmed warrior. "Look, I'm all for cooperation, but you seem to have the idea you get me to be an expert AND tell me how to do my job. That isn't how it works. You wanna chat with the ogres, be my guest, but you aren't sneaking by in that getup." She eyes his armor with a professional's distaste for noisy accoutrements.

"So if anybody's leading the diplomatic mission, let's have it be you. I doubt they're going to be particularly chatty when they see feathers where their buddy's eye used to be."

He turns to the others.

"Very well then." He sighs. "Diplomacy it is." He looks over them, to see which of them are surprised. "These Ogres may have been living in this dungeon for some time. Perhaps we can learn how to navigate further within the dungeon, or some advise about what else to face inside."

He glances around inquisitively. "So, who can speak Giant?" Whoever states they can speak giant, Duncan says to them,* "You will translate for me, when I speak to the ogres."
If Opal offers, even if Indy also offers, he will go with Opal.

He turned to look at Indy. "You lead the way, I will step towards the Ogre and speak to them. Stay behind me when they awaken-cause your not getting any tea." He joked.

He walked towards the sorcerer, and leaned in close.
"Can you prepare to cast a web or maybe a grease spell infront of me, in case those ogres decide to charge instead of parley?" He was a Paladin. He wasn't stupid.

He follows Indy to where the Ogres are, assuming she goes without argument.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-10, 04:06 PM
Ilkiar nods to Duncan following quickly behind him.

"A map even a crude one done by these ogres would be a huge advantage, if we can make certain they'll not threaten travelers in the future I see no reason not to let them live" Ilkiar says thinking aloud.

If you can Indy hide your arrows and bow if they were as sound asleep as you say they were when their friend died we just might be able to convince them we had nothing to do with what happened to him."

JanusJones
2014-05-10, 06:57 PM
Indy looks at the helmed warrior in disbelief.

"Does that thing stuff up your ears?" She speaks veeeery slowly, as if to someone with aural or verbal comprehension issues. "If you want to go talk to the ogres, I'm not coming with you. I'm staying HERE," she points to the ground, "and shooting them when I see them. I don't talk with ogres. I run away from them or shoot them before they club me, take my stuff, and eat me - because that's what ogres do."

Turning to the mage, she shakes her head. "Sorry, Ilkiar - seen too many good gnomes dead or slaves - won't risk it. I can translate, but I won't. If you want to keep the big guy company, it's your call."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-10, 08:49 PM
Ilkiar sighs

"Even if was just us three" he said motioning to the rest of the party

"We have more than enough power between us to kill two ogres, you felled one in a single volley of arrows. Even in the moment it would take you to draw your bow we would have you covered."

"If that doesn't convince you I have another idea. I have in my possession a spell that would practically guarantee your escape should things turn sour. I was hoping to save it for myself when things get dicey later on but, if it would mean we can deal with the ogres and get a move on, I would be willing to cast it on you."

Bluff Roll [roll0] Would this require a bluff roll? I have no such spell but I would cast something...

Silver Night
2014-05-10, 09:09 PM
Opal

Opal keeps the Paladin between her and the Ogres, but follows along.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-11, 07:12 AM
Indy looks at the helmed warrior in disbelief.

"Does that thing stuff up your ears?" She speaks veeeery slowly, as if to someone with aural or verbal comprehension issues. "If you want to go talk to the ogres, I'm not coming with you. I'm staying HERE," she points to the ground, "and shooting them when I see them. I don't talk with ogres. I run away from them or shoot them before they club me, take my stuff, and eat me - because that's what ogres do."

Turning to the mage, she shakes her head. "Sorry, Ilkiar - seen too many good gnomes dead or slaves - won't risk it. I can translate, but I won't. If you want to keep the big guy company, it's your call."

Duncan stepped to the Gnome, ignoring the Sorcerer's pathethic attempt at lying. He knew that dishonesty would not sway her, so he chose truth.

"Independence," He began, "I can understand your pain and suffering. We have all suffered at those who targeted us because we were weaker or smaller." He lifts his helm up, revealing his face. Tanned skin, his forehead and brow is ridged and scaled, as if from some disease. There is a scar to the left of his skull, where the scales do not grow back uniform. His eyes however, are a startling, almost Sapphire Blue.

"I was not always so tall. Once I was as small as a Kobald, and treated as such. And since then, I have seen a lot of hatred, and subjected to plenty, so I know your anger. But revenge is no justification for becoming like them. To kill them while they sleep, when they have not wronged us yet, would make us just as monstrous." He puts his shield arm on her shoulder.

"I will not ask you to translate on my behalf. I ask only that you show me where the Ogres sleep. And I swear, whatever occurs, I will protect you." He gives a small comforting smile. "Have faith."

[roll0]

JanusJones
2014-05-11, 10:25 AM
"Round the corner. Might have to holler to get'em up." Indy looks as though she still thinks the man mad, but she stands aside.

"But you don't know a thing about me or mine. Sorry you were short and **** on; we were killed, eaten, and enslaved since my father's father's time. What I feel isn't anger - it's well-founded common sense."

She nods to the paladin and hefts her bow. "I'll be here for backup if they don't find you as charming as I do." She flashes a quick grin.

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 01:59 PM
Opal casts Vigor, on herself, sharing it with her psicrystal, augmented by 1 point.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-11, 03:08 PM
Ilkiar casts Mage Armour on himself.

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 03:36 PM
Opal

"If we are trying the diplomatic route, I have a power that might help avoid violence. Or, at least, violence against us. I would prefer to use it before they are actually awake. So. Let's be about it."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-11, 03:36 PM
The group enters the cave as silently as they can, Duncan in the lead. You all clearly hear the loud sound of two different persons snoring deeply. After entering the cave, there is an opening to the left, and the snoring obviously come from here. When you move to the opening, you see a small room. There are three ogres in it. Two are sleeping, one is sitting against the northern wall. An arrow sticks out of his forehead and a little puddle of blood has collected in his lap, dripping from the arrow.

The eastern wall of the room is formed by a large metal cortpullis, as far as you can see there is another room behind it, but you see no creatures there. The ogres are still sleeping as you stand there.

Map (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpYmJCa1cteHdfZVU/edit?usp=sharing)

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 03:41 PM
Opal casts something on the nearest Ogre.

Charm, psionic. DC 16, augmented by two power points to affect giants.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-11, 03:52 PM
Opal manifests her power, and the Ogres remain sleeping.

You're not sure, but you may have been successful there.

[roll0]

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 04:01 PM
Opal gives the same power a shot on the other Ogre, augmented the same way.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-11, 04:02 PM
There's a long silence as Opal is manifesting some more. The ogres remain sleeping.

Again, you think this was successful. Chances are good the Ogres are friendly with you. However, that does not mean they will be friendly to your companions.

[roll0]

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 04:08 PM
Opal

"The rest of you, please move back. Only a little bit, though." Once Opal is the first person they will see waking up (though she doesn't stand right in the doorway or anything), she yells (in giant), "Wake up! Someone attacked you!"

She has stowed her crossbow, at this point.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-11, 06:16 PM
Opal

"The rest of you, please move back. Only a little bit, though." Once Opal is the first person they will see waking up (though she doesn't stand right in the doorway or anything), she yells (in giant), "Wake up! Someone attacked you!"

She has stowed her crossbow, at this point.

Duncan raised an eyebrow at this, but stepped back [to G7] all the same. Once there he turned to look at the sorcerer, before nodding his head at the opening which the giants would have to pass through to get at them.

Duncan holds his sword ready. He smiled at Opal encouragingly.

I've never played with a Psion before, so I'm curious. What does it look like when a psion casts a spell? Is there a visible effect? Do they do gestures, touch their heads etc?

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-11, 06:38 PM
Ilkiar stays were he is as his party moves around him, reasoning that being ready to cast a spell and run should they suddenly need a combative advantage is best.

Jacior
2014-05-12, 12:46 AM
Caldris readies his own mace, in case the ogres charged them. This was going to go only one of two ways really. "Pelor bless us in our time of strife that we may live to see the rise of the morning light on the morrow."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-12, 01:25 PM
I am assuming everyone except Opal moves out of the way when the ogres are being alerted.

The Ogres slowly wake up, first one and then the other: It appears these are not the panicking kind of creatures. They yawn and look at Opal when slowly the meaning of her words sink in. One of the Ogres turns to the dead Ogre, and exclames in giant: "Brecht!" The other Ogre looks in confusion at Opal while he gets up and grabs a considerable part of a tree. A club, perhaps. He adresses Opal in giant: "Wurgendal elas vertaijen? Edu! He points at Opal, somewhat agressively: "Aster erthegen?"

He is not particularly friendly towards Opal, but he does not attack her. Probably, as far as Ogres go, that's as good as it gets.

Brecht! Apparently the name of the dead Ogre
Who is responsible for this? You! *points at Opal* Do you know more?

Silver Night
2014-05-12, 08:46 PM
Opal

"My friends and I were outside, we saw a suspicious looking sort enter. Short, if you know what I mean." Opal gives the Ogre a meaningful look, "When we entered, we found that your friend had been murdered! I wanted to warn you and find out if you knew who it was before we went any further searching for threats."

She also takes a moment to telepathically translate what she and the Ogres both said to the others.

Do I get a positive bluff mod if everything she said is technically true?

Bluff: [roll0]

Twelvetrees
2014-05-12, 10:18 PM
I apologize for my previous absence and hope that you can forgive me for that. Anyways, I will begin as if Vuund has been asleep on his feet outside the entrance to the cave.

With a start, Vuund awoke at the telepathic intrusion, mumbling sleepily.

Hmm...? What? Wait...did I hear ogres?

As he comes more fully awake, he realizes what is happening. Barely respecting the strategy, he is whispering loudly and grumpily.

Why this talking? Unless this be a plan to--No. It makes no sense. Sense is killing the ogres while they sleep. What be the benefit to this plan?

Vuund is clearly confused as to why it might be considered amoral to kill the ogres while they sleep and even the point in talking to them.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-13, 01:51 AM
Since Opal will be translating, I'll just write the giant parts in english.

The Ogre is confused. The other now, very swiftly recovered from the death of his friend (looks like Ogres are not the grieving type), also stands up. Both Ogres are facing Opal now, armed with a deadly club. "What? Who is "we"? Who is with you? The other one also starts talking, or rather something in between grunting and shouting, at Opal. "So the short fella is still inside?" It appears as if Vuund was heard by both Ogres, as they respond in concert: "Who is that with you?"

CoreBrute23
2014-05-13, 04:54 AM
The Paladin turns to his compatriots, shakes his head quickly and raises a finger to his lips. he then places his sword in his haversack and steps forward to where the Ogres can see him.

"Hail Ogres." He says, his helm lifted up so they can see his scaly face. "I am Duncan Stillwater, a traveling companion of Opal here." He nods at the dead ogre. "I can honestly say, your friend was like this when we," He points at Opal and himself. "got here."

He offers a hand forward to shake.

"This dungeon is clearly trecherous, and we were hoping to ally together briefly."

Come on Ogres, let's be buddies!
[roll0]

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-13, 05:19 AM
<Quite frankly, I think I preferred your style.> Xiphos whispers to Indy in a shared tongue. <If you assassinated one more, and the rest of us defeat the other in a joined attack, we would already be done with this, and with little delay. Now the rest of us may see first hand the troubles your people have faced.> While Opal and Duncan attempt parlay, Xiphos keeps one hand at his side, posed as if to snap his fingers.

Somewhat awkward that I had not refreshed my page to see another post before mine. Adjusting mine accordingly. If it was not apparent, I am speaking in Gnome. Hopefully the Ogres are too stupid to speak Common, let alone Gnome.

The very second either Ogre makes an offensive movement, I'll be quickening my Astral Construct and summoning it in front of Opal, before having it charge one of them and hopefully knock it down.

JanusJones
2014-05-13, 07:11 AM
Indy flashes a tight grin, keeping a white-knuckled grip on her bow.

<"Next time, then, do us all a favor and say something before that great helmed loon gets us all killed. This is going to be the shortest-lived venture ever if we give up advantages whenever we're lucky enough to blunder into them.">

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-13, 07:34 AM
Both Ogres stare blankly at Duncan and Opal. One of them looks at Opal, and asks in giant: "That your friend?". The other adds: "After he helps us kill who attacked us, we will eat him....you know that, right?" The other one nods. "Yeah, he should go."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-13, 09:31 AM
Ilkiar whispers to Indy in Draconic

<"This farce has gone on long enough the ogres have made their intentions more than clear, sooner or later Opal's power will wear off and then they'll be a threat to all of us, diplomacy has failed let's end this">

"Attack Now!" Ilkiar shouts

Ilkiar casts Grease at the feet of the Ogres.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-13, 03:13 PM
Halfway the attempts at diplomacy, the group's sorcerer steps in view of the Ogres, cries for battle to commence, and casts a spell.

He casts Grease

In full anticipation, you notice that....nothing happens really....

Both Ogres save, miraculously

You'll have to act swiftly now, before the Ogres act!

Initiative order
(see my OoC post for rolls of Vuund, Caldris and Opal)
Group 1: Indy, Opal, Ilkiar, Duncan, Vuund, Xiphos
Group 2: Ogres
Group 3: Caldris

Group 1 may act, in any order.

MAP (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpSjd6R1NmVEQ5RjQ/edit?usp=sharing)

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-13, 03:39 PM
Seeing the Mage throw caution to the wind, Xiphos advances to get a better look at the situation. "Opal, back up!" Xiphos advises. With a snap of his fingers, a blue ball of ectoplasm appears on the ground in front of her, before forming into the shape of a 4 legged monster. It immediately swings at the legs of the opponent in front of it.

Move action to space J-9.
Quickened Action to expend my focus to summon my Signature Construct at space J-6.
Free action to direct it to attack Ogre 1.
Construct Attack Roll: [roll0]
Construct Damage Roll: [roll1]
Move Action to attempt to gain my focus back. [roll2]

JanusJones
2014-05-13, 05:42 PM
Indy grins. "I like your style. Next time, speak up earlier - we'll get a lot more DONE!"

This last as a reddish pulse wraps itself around her nocked arrow and she lets fly!

I'm assuming it's been 5 minutes and my Inspiration has returned, but let me know if not!

To Hit/Crit: [roll0]/[roll1]

This is counting +1 from Knowledge Devotion.
Add another +3 if Indy has her Inspiration back!

Damage/Crit: [roll2]/[roll3]

+[roll4] if Indy has Inspiration for SA!

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-13, 05:56 PM
Ilkiar surprised that his spell had no effect decides to use more mundane methods he raises his crossbow and unloads it and the nearer of the two Ogres.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

CoreBrute23
2014-05-13, 06:33 PM
"Attack Now!" Ilkiar shouts
Duncan's head snaps to the side as he hears the call for war.

"Wait, no hold on there's no need for-" Suddenly arrows started whistling past him, psions were doing psychic stuff it was all a mess.

"Oh storms above." He sighed, before reaching into his haversack. In a quick motion, he pulled out his bastersword, and slashed at the Ogre directly infront of him's mid section. "Sorry!" He yelled apologetically.

Move Action: pull Bastardsword out of Haversack.
Standard Action: Attack Ogre 3.

Silver Night
2014-05-13, 07:51 PM
Opal

Opal makes an exasperated sound as someone attacks, and broadcasts telepathically - with emphasis - ~Try thinking next time. Even if this ended in battle, we could have found out, oh, I don't know: Anything at all about where we will be going?! What's waiting for us? Traps? Hazards? The most promising route? It's called gathering intelligence, and it is useful if you want to stay alive. The spell would have lasted for hours yet, and we only needed minutes. What a waste. I hope you are not always such an impatient fool, Ilkiar.~

As she 'speaks' she backs away while drawing her crossbow, and takes a shot at the ogre that is further away.

Move to K9

Twelvetrees
2014-05-13, 11:25 PM
I'm assuming that I have room for this...
Charging Ogre 3 and using Power attack with a -5 to my attack. In essence this means I will be in G7 (if that isn't already occupied)

I now have -2 to my AC.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

With a roar, Vuund bounded down the corridor, his eyes alight with eagerness to start the battle, bellowing all the while.

You want to eat something? Try my axe!

Twelvetrees
2014-05-13, 11:29 PM
I'm assuming that I have room for this...
Charging Ogre 3 and using Power attack with a -5 to my attack. In essence this means I will be in G7 (if that isn't already occupied)

I now have -2 to my AC.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

With a roar, Vuund bounded down the corridor, his eyes alight with eagerness to start the battle, bellowing all the while.

You want to eat something? Try my axe!

Yeah, I think a crit is a good sign to start this battle.

Reroll of damage for crit, ignore previous value. I apologize if I did this improperly (editing when critting).

[roll0]

Twelvetrees
2014-05-14, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I think a crit is a good sign to start this battle.

Reroll of damage for crit, ignore previous value. I apologize if I did this improperly (editing when critting).

[roll0]

Many apologies for the triple post, but I forgot crit confirm
[roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-14, 04:19 PM
After Ilkiar's spell, and the Ogres' surprising reflexes, combat erupts. Indy moves towards the south wall and releases an arrow, but it does not manage to pierce the Ogre's defense. Then, Opal moves towards the south wall as well and she does manage to land a ranged attack on an Ogre. Ilkiar, inspired by the success of the psion also shoots an arrow at an Ogre. Sadly, he also misses.

Now it is time for the heavy-hitting melee part of the squad: Duncan swings his sword at the Ogre nearest to him. The paladin's attack also does not penetrate the Ogre's defenses. Likewise, the four-legged monster summoned by Xiphos is unable to damage the Ogre it faces. Things are starting to look desperate when Vuund moves in and swings rather wildly with his axe. There is a small moment of silence as the dwarf ruthlessly decapitates the Ogre.

No time to celebrate just yet, though. There is still one Ogre up. It seeks to hammer one of you on the head with its club, but before it can do so, it slips, skids and falls prone. Cursing, it stands up and seems to have abondoned any form of strategy it may have had. Ilkiar sees a giant club speeding with disturbing force at his head, and the rest hears what a sorcerer getting whacked sounds like.

The Ogre hits AC 25 and does 13 damage.

Caldris is up, and Duncan may make an Attack of Opportunity vs Ogre 3 as it falls and stands up.

MAP (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpb3hWSWVNN1pPN2c/edit?usp=sharing)

CoreBrute23
2014-05-14, 05:10 PM
Duncan sees the Ogre try and get up, and brings his sword in a hard downward strike.

[roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit confirm just in case [roll2]
Do I roll extra damage, or do I just double my damage result pre-crit?

"Ilkiar get away!" He yells too late.

Jacior
2014-05-14, 06:28 PM
Caldris pushes past Xiphos and Indy then places a hand on Ilkiar's back. "May the light of Pelor cleanse your wounds."

Using my Domain Spell Slot for Cure Light Wounds. Cause why not?
[roll0]

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-14, 06:50 PM
"Vuund, remind me not to piss you off too much." Xiphos humorously remarks, uncrossing his arms to point a finger at the last Ogre. -Go around, and aim for the legs.- He mentally urges his construct, as he pictures himself shooting a ray of energy at the beast. He holds his energy as the construct maneuvers over the corpses to attack the last monster.

Free Action to Direct my Construct.

Construct Move Action to G4, going over the bodies and around grease.
Construct Standard Action: Attack Ogre 3.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Readying a Standard Action to Energy Ray the Ogre, if it is still alive after Indy, Duncan, Vuund, Opal, and Ilkiar have a chance to attack it. No reason to waste my power points with all this man power around, but if I have to, I will.

No move action, yet. No focus to regain, and no need to change my position yet.

I forgot to factor the +2 Flanking Bonus to the attack roll. But if that hit, I think I can make a trip attempt, too.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-14, 07:12 PM
Ilkiar relaxes as the healing works it's magic. "Thank you, I'll be okay, just focus on killing this brute." Ilkiar says with a weak smile I think I'll take up the rear, let you armoured folk handle the close quarters combat. Ilkiar moves back to the wall holding his chest where the orge struck him and turns to Indy. "bet you're having fun."

Move Action: Ilkiar moves to 9G

Silver Night
2014-05-14, 08:00 PM
Opal

Opal, seeing she doesn't have a shot at the remaining ogre, doesn't do anything except keep an eye on the party's back.

Twelvetrees
2014-05-14, 09:55 PM
Vuund calmly walks over to take Ilkiar's place on the front line and gives the ogre a feral grin.

Perhaps you'd like a serving as well?

Move to H7.

Power attack for -2, cancels with flanking from the construct.

Attack:
[roll0]
Crit confirm:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
Crit damage:
[roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-15, 02:17 AM
Ilkiar is smart enough to step aside after being healed. Then both the four-legged construct and Vuund start moving around the Ogre to maneuver themselves in perfect positions to fight the Ogre. This is when you find out about the superior reach of the Ogres: It looks like nobody in and around that room is safe to move without recieving a punishing attack.

Both your movements cause an attack of opportunity. I only have one, so here's the deal: on a 1, Vuund gets attacked, on a 2, the construct: [roll0].

Attack of opportunity: [roll1], damage [roll2], crit confirm [roll3], bonus damage [roll4]

Check for yourself if you're hit and describe it in your next post accordingly.

Once in position, however, they make swift work of the Ogre. One slam in the back and an axe in the face later, the Ogre collapses.

Combat is over, with what appears to be minimal damage to your side.

Silver Night
2014-05-15, 03:25 AM
Opal

"Well, that was lovely. When you were scouting, did you happen to see if this cave continues much further? Or is our route going to be behind that portcullis?"

CoreBrute23
2014-05-15, 06:25 AM
Duncan kneels down at the dead ogre, shaking his head disappointed. He sheathes his sword, and turns to look at the construct the shaper created.

"Aren't you a big fella?" He remarked, getting up as he did so. "Xiphos, I presume he is one of yours?"
Duncan casts detect evil on the Shaper construct.
He smiles at Vuund. "Nice forward swing. What's the axe, Dwarven forged? Must be, decapitation isn't easy but you made it look clean."

He looks at Ilkiar, and narrows his eyes. Not with anger but with disappointment.

He then looks at the Ogres, and then the portcullis.

"Do you think they were hiding something behind that porticulis? Or just coincidence they rested there?" He said to everyone.

JanusJones
2014-05-15, 07:54 AM
Indy looks around. "Okay, so Ilkiar isn't dead, and we all got a chance to stretch our legs. Lovely." She nods to Opal. "That was some fast mojo - very nice." She turns to Vuund. "Glad to have you at my back, friend!" She smiles at Xiphos, waving at his construct. "And a handy piece of work, your friend there - impressive!"

She eyes the paladin. "So here's the thing - what you didn't understand, but Ilkiar did, was these two were discussing eating us shortly after our conversation. I'm all for being understanding, but next time we come up on sleeping monsters surrounded by HUMANOID BONES, things might be easier if you took my advice. See, scouting and such, that's MY job, and I know from monsters. Hitting things with heavy objects, that's yours. I won't tell you how to wave your sword about; I'd appreciate it if you'd take my word on sneaking and scouting - and on what monsters it might be deadly to chat with."

She begins methodically searching the room as she speaks.

Search: [roll0]

Silver Night
2014-05-15, 11:16 AM
Opal

"I do hope you are quite alright, Ilkiar?" Opal's tone is solicitous, "We have a great deal of travel ahead of us, into the utterly unknown. I'm sure we will need to be in tip top shape."

Jacior
2014-05-15, 12:11 PM
Caldris takes the prominent silver symbol around his neck in hand and closes his eyes. "May His radiant light shine upon us and forgive for the loss of life that has occurred in the name of His will and the good of all peoples." He lets the charm go, where it clangs lightly against his armor. "Yes, Ilkiar, if you require more healing, it will be no problem at all. Pelor's grace is ever flowing."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-15, 03:07 PM
"Yes please, I just need a bit of healing to sure things up, Pelor's grace may be everlasting but we should cherish it all the same." Ilkiar says while walking up to the cleric. Ilkiar turns to address Duncan "Indy has said much of what I was going to, but I will add this: I am sorry diplomacy was not possible, I predict many on this route will be equally hostile. For those the only peace we will have with them will be given at the end of a sword."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-15, 03:29 PM
She eyes the paladin. "So here's the thing - what you didn't understand, but Ilkiar did, was these two were discussing eating us shortly after our conversation. I'm all for being understanding, but next time we come up on sleeping monsters surrounded by HUMANOID BONES, things might be easier if you took my advice. See, scouting and such, that's MY job, and I know from monsters. Hitting things with heavy objects, that's yours. I won't tell you how to wave your sword about; I'd appreciate it if you'd take my word on sneaking and scouting - and on what monsters it might be deadly to chat with."

Duncan frowned, before stepping right upto the Gnome woman, till there was barely an inch between them. He looked down at her with a stern expression. He speaks softly, with great effort not to raise his voice.

"I knew exactly what the Ogres were discussing Independence. Opal translated for all of us. And of course they were going to try and eat me afterwards. The key word is afterwards. It wouldn't be the first time something tried to eat me. but in case the suit of armor and scales aren't a big enough clue, let me spell it out for you-I am not a dumpling! I do not go down easy, nor without a fight." He taps a claw against his shield for emphasis.

"But that is besides the point. The reason we were speaking to them wasn't to make friends. I was not going to travel with cannibals and slavers. We were always going to kill them. The point was to gain information about what else was in the dungeon. Now we are going in blind, with no information, because the party didn't trust us to do our jobs."

"Opal and I were trying to get information, but you never believed in our skills. You want us to trust you when your doing your role? I agree to that." He pushed her chest with a talon. "But in that case, when your team mates have begun a course of action like diplomacy, trust us to do our duties, rather than expect us to fail."

He stood up tall. "Now, if my point is clear, I believe I shall defer to your leadership Independence, since there is nothing for me to 'swing a sword at'. Shall I stand vigilant at the other opening*, watching for other monsters interrested in the noise we have made? Shall I life the portal here with my mighty thews? Perhaps I should go dear hunting and make some venison?" Either he is being completely sincere, or he has the most deadpan delivery ever given by a non-elf.

Basically about q8 on the map. That's a passage we can't see how far it goes yet.

EDIT:

Ilkiar turns to address Duncan "Indy has said much of what I was going to, but I will add this: I am sorry diplomacy was not possible, I predict many on this route will be equally hostile. For those the only peace we will have with them will be given at the end of a sword."

He turned to look at the sorcerer. "Ilkiar..." He sighed. "I appologize if I seemed rude. Do you require further healing? I can offer if Caldris wishes to conserve his energy?"

How many HP are you away from full HP? I ask because Lay on Hands is exact HP, rather than rolling like cure light wounds. It's upto Caldris whether he wants to use his spells or not.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-15, 03:31 PM
Indy searches the room. She finds a lot of bones, torn, worn and useless cloth, perhaps old clothes worn by the Ogres' victims? However, in the rubble there are also two items of potential value. You find a fine silver comb, inlaid with small moonstones. You also find a blue-green mantle that is fancily embroidered and also decorated with plenty moonstones. The gems themselves are probably valuable, but in combination with the fine craftwork it may even be more. It looks like a very wealthy lady ended up also being rather unlucky.

There is nothing else worth mentioning in the room, except for the portcullis. Beyond the portcullis you see a room, slightly smaller than the room you're in now. The ground over there is littered with bones of all shapes and sizes. In the middle, a large lever sticks out of the ground. It is some 3 feet long and slightly angled away from you. It looks like it could be pulled towards the room you are in to sort some kind of effect. The portcullis is closed, however, and the metal bars are so closely packed even Indy can't slip through. When you try to open the portcullis, you find out it is locked or barred in some fashion. Even the seven of you together can't muster enough power to lift it....

Remember that if you want to use Appraise on the items, I have to make the roll (and I will do so off-screen, because I just know at least half of you can't resist looking in my roll spoilers :smallwink:.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-15, 04:21 PM
"If Caldris has no objections I would rather you conserve your healing magic we may yet need it later on in the day."

Realizing he never spoke to her Ilkiar turns to Opal "I realize the error of my actions but I do not regret them. The ogres had shown their true colors, it might take more than a single exchange of blows to fell someone of Duncan's fortitude but if they had taken me by surprise they could have easily killed me before he could intervene. I understand the nature of the power you used, they would not harm you but they clearly had no qualms about harming the rest of us."

Turning again to address the rest of the group Ilkiar says
"I have a magic item that should be able to pull that lever for us, if it is a trap it will take none of us and if it is not than at least we didn't waste an actual spell."

JanusJones
2014-05-15, 08:01 PM
Indy steps back as the paladin steps in, ducking the massive armored man's overbearing approach. She's half his size, so it isn't hard to slip away from a finger pointed down at her chest - a chest which most men would hesitate to poke, given that it's ample ... and usually considered inappropriate to touch unless invited to by the lady in question.

She goes about searching the room as the paladin goes on. When finished, she turns, dusts off her hands and places them at her hips. She grins at the man - and the group.

"Ooh - not so diplomatic now! And not even a sorry - you at least gave those 'cannibals and slavers' that much!" She winks.

"And yes, I'd love some venison. Or a hand with the heavy lifting." Here she gestures down at herself - all three feet of her. "I'm not much for shifting weight. Look, we all have our skills, no? Lady Opal's quite the manipulator - well done with those louts! Vuund, that axe of yours deals a heavy blow - I'm proud to travel with you. Xiphos, your friend there ended the fight handily - we'll be glad of him and you, I imagine. Ilkiar, your spells and your instincts are impressive. Duncan, if your strength measures up to your convictions, you'll prove a mighty ally." She gives him a warm smile with this.

"We have a contract with the King, but it seems we need a compact with one another. You're right, Sir Duncan - trust is a necessity. You did not trust my word or skills, nor I yours. Ilkiar failed to let the rest of us know his intentions, and Vuund barely made himself known until his might was needed."

She looks around. "I propose we agree here, for the sake of our mission and our lives, to each trust in each other's word and skill. We each have one vote, and abide by the decision of the group. All have a say, and may present an opinion, but we act as one."

She turns to Ilkiar. "Perhaps a first attempt at accord: if you wouldn't mind, and the companionship approves," she looks around, "I'd like to examine the device first. It might be trapped - I imagine these louts would have had little trouble opening it should they have chosen to, and it may be no accident they did not."

Jacior
2014-05-15, 08:34 PM
Caldris nods and takes up his holy symbol, sheathing his mace in a leather holster. "It is no problem at all. I am blessed with many healing spells and potent magicks beyond that as well. As long as my strongest healing magicks remains in my reserves, Pelor's healing shall heal even our mightiest wounds in the days to come." He lays a hand on Ilkiar's shoulder and bows his head. "May Pelor's light shine in the darkest hours and brightest days, lighting our paths when all seems grim."

Spontaneous Casting, trading Cause Fear for CLW: [roll0]

After that, he steps around Ilkiar and places a hand on Duncan and Indy. "Friends, let there be piece between us. This is no time to fight and argue. What is done is done and it can not be changed. That death was the only end no matter what is unfortunate, but as it was our only resort, let us not begrudge each other that it has been taken." Caldris smiles at the two. "Our path ahead will be fraught will danger far worse than this, we need peace between us before we can hope to survive the trials ahead."

Twelvetrees
2014-05-15, 08:53 PM
Vuund neatly steps back away from the swing of the ogre's club, before slamming his axe into its face.

There, ye got yer taste.

With that, he trundled out of the cave, his footfalls quickly replaced by the sound of retching. Some minutes later, he walked back in, much more steadily than he had walked out.

'Pologies. Me stommach be fine in a fight, but after, nah, not so much.

"Nice forward swing. What's the axe, Dwarven forged? Must be, decapitation isn't easy but you made it look clean."

Aye, 'tis a Stonerager's axe. Been around five centuries or so, give or take a few decades. Been used by thirty-eight dwarves, all whom died wi' it in their hands. Name's Durnallun, Death's Edge.

She turns to Vuund. "Glad to have you at my back, friend!"

Same t' ye. Was jest doin' me job.

She looks around. "I propose we agree here, for the sake of our mission and our lives, to each trust in each other's word and skill. We each have one vote, and abide by the decision of the group. All have a say, and may present an opinion, but we act as one."

Agreed. Rock will shatter a badly made pick, but a well-made pick, each of its parts doin' what it should, will shatter the rock every time. Wi' time, that pick will shatter mountains. So it must be wi' us and our foes.

With his part said, Vuund steps back to let the others have their say, absentmindedly cleaning ogre blood from his armor and axe.

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-15, 10:22 PM
As the final Ogre falls, Xiphos lowers his finger, recrossing his arms behind his shield. No need to waste any energy. He mentally commands the construct, after having it examined by the draconian, to decapitate the other 2 corpses before it returns to the ectoplasm from wince it came and vanishes. While the construct obeys the final instructions given to it, Xiphos silently awaits the end of the fighting. "Be careful." he breathes to Indy as she investigates the room ahead. In the process, he brings the items she found to Opal, to see what she makes of them.

Given that Opal and myself are tied for the highest natural Appraise checks, it seems obvious we would be the ones to investigate their worth. If Opal does not wish to investigate them, then Xiphos will do so himself. (Late Edit: Though, if she does, the +5 either of us would normally have would rise to +7, due to aid another, I believe?)

My Construct had 3 more rounds left, and I see it in character for Xiphos to make sure each body is dead. Coop de grace one, then move and finish the other. And Astral Constructs do not register as anything but Neutral, or at the very least as far as I know the alignment of the one who created it, which would, again, be neutral.

Hopefully no one will die to traps soon...

Silver Night
2014-05-16, 12:18 AM
Opal

Opal does her best to appraise the items, in spite of not having much experience doing so.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-16, 08:11 AM
"And yes, I'd love some venison. Or a hand with the heavy lifting." Here she gestures down at herself - all three feet of her. "I'm not much for shifting weight. Look, we all have our skills, no? Lady Opal's quite the manipulator - well done with those louts! Vuund, that axe of yours deals a heavy blow - I'm proud to travel with you. Xiphos, your friend there ended the fight handily - we'll be glad of him and you, I imagine. Ilkiar, your spells and your instincts are impressive. Duncan, if your strength measures up to your convictions, you'll prove a mighty ally." She gives him a warm smile with this.

"We have a contract with the King, but it seems we need a compact with one another. You're right, Sir Duncan - trust is a necessity. You did not trust my word or skills, nor I yours. Ilkiar failed to let the rest of us know his intentions, and Vuund barely made himself known until his might was needed."

She turns to Ilkiar. "Perhaps a first attempt at accord: if you wouldn't mind, and the companionship approves," she looks around, "I'd like to examine the device first. It might be trapped - I imagine these louts would have had little trouble opening it should they have chosen to, and it may be no accident they did not."

Duncan nodded. "A compact sounds like a great idea Independence." He smiled back at her.

He turned to look into the small room, frowning at all the bones.

"Are we certain there is anything in that room that we want? All I see are bones surrounding a lever. I am no trap expert," He nods at Indy. "but it might be that room may have some unwanted surprises. Perhaps we should avoid it?" He offered.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-16, 09:27 AM
"There may very well be something in there that we can't see from here, mayhaps a path forward, or treasure." Ilkiar gives a look to Indy when mentioning the possibility of loot "I am also curious as to what it is the lever actually does and where it came from, the ogres do not seem handy enough to make something this complex and yet this tunnel was supposedly lost for centuries. We may meet civilized folk for you to parlay with yet Sir Duncan. Mayhaps the bones are scraps from the ogre's meals."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-17, 03:59 PM
Together, you come to the following conclusions:

The comb may well have a value (if new) of 180 gp, and the cloak is even more valuable. You guess it would take roughly 1,000 gp to buy such a cloak new.

Jacior
2014-05-18, 03:06 PM
Caldris just stands around. The things that were going on were not in his skill set. He was a healer, not someone adept with traps or the value of objects. So he occupies his time standing next to Duncan and keeping an eye on things.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-18, 06:18 PM
Ilkiar tired of waiting around speaks up If everyone is almost done searching I would very much like to find out what it is that lever on the other side of the portcullis do." Ilkiar walks up to the portcullis until he's no more than 30 feet from the lever on the other side saying "Let me know when you're ready" and begins waiting only a moment more for his companions to speak

JanusJones
2014-05-18, 10:17 PM
Indy looks up from the grate. "It's got something holding it. The lever's probably our best bet. Can't find any traps, but these things are hardly certain - I'd recommend some room before we give it a go." She makes her way back to the entrance to the room, nodding to Ilkiar.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-19, 03:06 PM
After waiting a moment for his companions to move away Ilkiar points to the lever through the grate and uses the power from the talisman (Hand of the Mage) around his neck to pull it towards himself.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-19, 03:19 PM
Ilkiar deploys his magic item and senses, as far as that is possible, that the magical effect he summons is excerting force on the lever. Sadly, however, the lever does not budge. It looks like it takes more than 5 pounds of force to flip that switch. Alltogether you guys get the feeling that you're facing a rather elaborate breaking-and-entering protection. Sophisticated enough at least to deter a bunch of Ogres. Is it strong enough to keep a troop of adventurers out?

JanusJones
2014-05-20, 08:23 AM
Indy looks thoughtful.

"Can you have that tie this," she hold us a length of rope, "to the lever? Might be able to give it a bit more force that way."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-20, 09:56 AM
Ilkiar thinks for a second than nods after Indy ties the knot Ilkiar uses his magic once again to position the noose around the lever's handle "Alright Everyone, on the count of 3 we pull. 1, 2, 3!"

CoreBrute23
2014-05-20, 10:10 AM
Duncan raises an eyebrow but grabs the end of the rope. He positions himself and readies himself to pull when Ilkiar says 3.

Vuund you want to be at the back of this tug of war or should I be? Your stronger than me, but my armor means I probably weigh more than you. Your call. If your at the back, I'm just in front of you.

Twelvetrees
2014-05-20, 11:43 AM
Vuund grunts a laugh, but grabs the end of the rope, pulling mightily on 3.

I got the end, now let's see how this works.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-20, 02:34 PM
You manage to tie the rope around the lever and slowly start pulling. Together, well especially Vuund and Duncan but the others do what they can, you start to generate a significant pull. Indy is the first to realize this does not work: You are closer to snapping the rope or breaking the lever than to switching the lever. It is either stuck, or not designed to switch at all...

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-21, 11:08 AM
"It's not budging- Stop everyone stop! It looks like we'll have- to go the other way" Ilkiar says winded at the exertion

"What a waste of time" Ilkiar grumbles angrily as he walks out of the Ogres' den

Twelvetrees
2014-05-21, 09:59 PM
Vuund grunts as an idea occurs to him.
Hold a sec, Ilkiar. Could you use your magic t' try switchin' it the other way? Worth a try, at least.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-22, 06:34 AM
Duncan lets go of the rope, glancing at his upset magical companion.

"Perhaps push the lever downwards like a button? Or upwards like a sword trapped in some object?" he turned to the cleric at his side. "I heard that worked for some ancient king."

He then glanced back at the ogres belongings, and thought for a moment.

"Who has the items we found on the Ogres?" He asks aloud. Once he gets an answer he says, "if we assume these ogres did not create this porticulis, then that means the people who came before did, and the ogres couldn't enter.

"Perhaps one of the items are required to open the porticulis? Maybe wearing the mantle will give insight? I doubt it's big enough for an ogre to wear so that might be why they couldn't open it. Or maybe the moonstones on the comb are supposed to reflect...I'm not sure. Traps are not my specialty." He offered.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-22, 07:45 AM
Ilkiar stops in his tracks.

"Hmm, I don't know about the sword in a stone angle but at this point I'm willing to try anything. Perhaps some more light will help us see something we've missed."

Ilkiar pulls out an unlit torch from his bag and casts a spell of Light on it. Lighting up the corners of the room and casting his companions shadows onto the walls.

"I believe Opal has the comb and the cape. if the gate will open when treasures' bearer is near than it should have opened for the ogres.. either way it would mean there is a spell to be seen on the gate. Something that I can test for right now if you'll just step aside please."

After his allies comply Ilkiar uses Detect Magic while looking in the direction of the gate

If Ilkiar detects magic he keeps studying it, if not he gives up after one round

I hope you don't mind me doing two spells in one post I figure it would be multiple rounds which I though would be fine so long as we're just searching it's not like we're in the middle of a fight or anything. Also Ilkiar is a bit snippy because his magic didn't work and as we all know magic solves all problems right? :smalltongue:

Jacior
2014-05-22, 10:45 AM
Caldris watches the group tackle the challenge of the lever. It seemed like it was a great challenge indeed. Too great for him to try and conquer. "I'm going to head down the corridor a ways. Promise to stay within hearing range." He touches a finger to the silver headband he's wearing and mutters a word. A small sphere of light appears above his shoulder. "I'll call if I find anything." He says before he starts down the corridor

JanusJones
2014-05-22, 02:20 PM
Indy holds up a hand. "Your call, but I can see in the dark and make less noise than you do. Ladies first?" She grins, and raises an eyebrow.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-22, 02:23 PM
Your detect magic reveals an aura beyond the portcullis. It is faint, as if it the remains of a once very powerful effect, or a slumbering effect that may be triggered at some point. It appears to cover the whole area.

If you can produce a Spellcraft check DC19, you may use the info in the spoiler below:

It is a necromancy effect

The hallway is 15 feet wide and about 75 feet deep, starting at the cave entrance. It is very smooth, obviously worked. You are not the kind of person to notice things out of the ordinary (e.g. a secret door), but you don't see anything out of the ordinary. No obvious passages beyond this hallway.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-22, 03:41 PM
"I can sense some kind of necromancy spell in the room beyond the gate. Maybe a trap of some kind.. I don't think it's undead the spell doesn't feel that powerful, but I wouldn't rule anything out. If this is a necromancers' doing then they're bound to have used more powerful spells further in."

With a look as though he's suddenly uncertain he wants to go through the gate at all Ilkiar walks to the wall parallel to the gate and leans up against it while he waits for Independence and Caldris to return

Silver Night
2014-05-23, 03:37 PM
Opal studies the portcullis and the near parts of the hallway for anything notable.

Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering [roll0]

gorilla-turtle
2014-05-23, 09:39 PM
After watching everyone move about, Xiphos decides to examine the switch mechanism and the portal in question.

Knowledge {Dungeoneering}: [roll0]

Knowledge {Architecture}: [roll1]

I have a few thoughts.

First, I wonder if there is any other way to manipulate the switch so that we can activate it, if it is even possible at all.

Secondly, do you think the switch, were it to be removed, might help? If we break the handle, that might be counter productive, but if the entire mechanism were to be dislocated, I wonder what would happen. I suppose that question could be applied to the door in question as well. Then again, it would depend on either of them being 300 lbs or less.

And lastly, I wonder just how durable this door is. How many hitpoints do you think it might have? An Iron Door, or something to that effect? Much more, much less? Because if it would not take too long, I am legitimately tempted to just break it down myself. Though I wonder what would greet us if I did... Then again, for the sake of summoning another encounter and getting this adventure moving, maybe I should anyway.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-23, 09:56 PM
After watching everyone move about, Xiphos decides to examine the switch mechanism and the portal in question.

Knowledge {Dungeoneering}: [roll0]

Knowledge {Architecture}: [roll1]

I have a few thoughts.

First, I wonder if there is any other way to manipulate the switch so that we can activate it, if it is even possible at all.

Secondly, do you think the switch, were it to be removed, might help? If we break the handle, that might be counter productive, but if the entire mechanism were to be dislocated, I wonder what would happen. I suppose that question could be applied to the door in question as well. Then again, it would depend on either of them being 300 lbs or less.

And lastly, I wonder just how durable this door is. How many hitpoints do you think it might have? An Iron Door, or something to that effect? Much more, much less? Because if it would not take too long, I am legitimately tempted to just break it down myself. Though I wonder what would greet us if I did... Then again, for the sake of summoning another encounter and getting this adventure moving, maybe I should anyway.

Read the OoC thread Auto basically said there's a secret passage out in the hallway with the mechanism to open the gate. The lever is basically a decoy and doesn't do anything, near as I can tell. Sadly, I do not think we'll be breaking this gate down. We've already got our best trapfinder out searching for the secret door, unless you can make a construct with better searching abilities than you have, all the rest of us can do is sit back and wait.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-24, 04:41 AM
With your knowledge check you gain the information Indy also got:

Pull up. If that does not work, try sliding or pushing down. No success? => Portcullis likely barred. Unbarring portcullis device/mechinism not necessarily in vicinity of Portcullis. Often chains and pulleys are involved. If these are not visible, they may be inside the walls. Operating device sometimes hidden behind secret door. Secret door not necessarily near portcullis.

Why don't you go and check out the corridor? :smalltongue:

You don't find anything in the vicinity of the portcullis. However, Indy finds something further up (see below)

Indy heads down the corridor with Caldris. The priest's light is ample to lighten the whole hallway, which is only 75 feet long. The Gnome starts searching the smooth, worked walls systematically. At first, she does not find anything. The walls are featureless and monotonous. However, once she reaches the end of the hallway, at the right-hand side she finds a secret door, some 3 foot above the floor. A section of the wall can be pushed into the wall and then slided to the right.

Once you do so, a small niche in the wall appears, some 3x3x3 feet. In it is a small lever that may be switched and a winding device one could employ to some effect. There's a thick chain wound around the device. It strikes you that this is the type of winding device that may be associated with a portcullis.

JanusJones
2014-05-24, 06:18 AM
"Hang on. Could be trapped."

Search: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-24, 07:09 AM
You find no traps.

JanusJones
2014-05-24, 10:01 AM
She gestures at it with a flourish. "Be my guest."

Jacior
2014-05-24, 11:25 PM
Caldris nods and grabs the lever. "I'm surprised how easy it was to find this. You're good at what you do, Independence." With that, he pulls it.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-25, 12:48 PM
Caldris flips the lever and you all hear a low grinding noise, followed by a loud metallic clang. It appears that the sound came from somewhere inside the ceiling, and it was audible to those in the hallway as well as those still in the room.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-25, 12:54 PM
"Sounds like they found something, though if not the lever to open the gate than what? I wonder"

CoreBrute23
2014-05-25, 01:12 PM
Duncan strokes his chin as he hears the noise from above. He then walks up to the porticulis, and glances up at the part where it reaches the ceiling.

"Vuund come help." He grabbed a bar, and began lifting.

OOC: Kinda hoping the sound was maybe a weight on top of the porticulis being moved, so it's easier to lift. Otherwise, I'm gonna look very foolish.

Assuming nothing bad happens when I grab the porticulis, here's a Strength roll:
[roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-25, 03:10 PM
Duncan and Vuund manage to lift the portcullis. It is extremely heavy, though, and it feels like it will come down as soon as they stop lifting. At the same time, Caldris and Indy notice that the chain wound around the winding device loosens.

CoreBrute23
2014-05-25, 03:44 PM
Duncan smiles and nods at the barbarian.

"Good-ugh work." He then turns around. "Independence," His voice carrying down the hallway. "The way's open if you want to come check."

JanusJones
2014-05-25, 04:03 PM
Indy eyeballs the heavy portcullis and the loosened chain for a moment.

[roll0]+8, using the Factotum's skill booster (cunning insight, no?) for Know (arch&eng). She'd like to fix that chain so our boys don't have to strain.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-25, 04:17 PM
You can use the winding device to lift and lock the portcullis.

JanusJones
2014-05-25, 04:23 PM
Indy winds up the extra chain and locks it into place. "Thought I'd take a bit of the weight off your shoulders, first." She grins at the two, then swaggers through the opened portcullis and into the darkness beyond.

Search: [roll4]

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-25, 06:04 PM
Ilkiar reloads his crossbow takes up a position a few feet before the now open portcullis "There's some kind of Necromancy spell on the place, watch out there could be undead around any corner."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-26, 01:48 AM
Indy moves towards the portcullis with a wide grin and is about to pass through the portcullis as she suddenly stops and bends over. She is studying the floor.

The room is trapped big time. Looks like the whole floor is a pressure plate.

JanusJones
2014-05-26, 01:54 AM
"Woop! Hokay, then. This is no joke, this job. Gimme some space - this may take a bit of doing." Indy pulls out a roll of tools in leather, unfurls them, and begins selecting a set of implements to employ on ... the floor?

Yeek! Okey dokey, let's try to disable it without setting it off and dying! Gonna blow an inspiration point on this for a +4, too.

Crossing my fingers!

[roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-26, 01:50 PM
Indy manages to slide something below the first tile, effectively barring it and preventing the pressure plate from triggering when normal people stand on it. There are more tiles, though. Indy reckons she can disable the other tiles as well, now she has worked out the trick, so she can make a safe path towards the lever (although it is probably best if only one person treads on each tile at a time). If she is willing to put in the time, this is doable.

Ilkiar deduces now, linking the information of the trap with his Detect magic information, that the trap is likely magical in nature. Necromancy. Possibly quite powerful Necromancy, since the aura would likely be bigger than he registered at first once the trap is sprung.

You can bypass the trap. On the other hand, you're supposed to make this connection safe for others to traverse. One might argue that triggering the trap under prepared and controlled conditions is better than leaving it there for innocents to trigger. On the other hand, one might argue that bypassing it is enough to fulfill your side of the bargain...

Jacior
2014-05-26, 02:29 PM
Caldris nearly fumes at the mention of the undead. "If there are any abominations here than they best pray to the foul beings they worship that I do not find them."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-26, 02:55 PM
"The ogres were hostile but this room is downright lethal, there's no way traders would be able to move goods through here. Xiphos, that creature you conjured earlier could it be made to trigger the traps for us?" No disrespect to Indy's efforts but disarming all of these pressure plates will take much longer than simply letting the trap exhaust itself."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-26, 03:03 PM
When the cleric spoke, Duncan let go of the breath he didn't know he was holding. I was more worried for Indy-Independence than I thought. Why? She is a professional. He thought, surprised at his reaction. He turned to look at the cleric.

"Undead are capable of worship?" He queried. He then looked at the trapped/cursed room, and he focussed on his god given sight to understand the room better.

Detect evil on the trapped room. I don't think I need to roll any dice, but if I do, feel free to roll for me boss.

Jacior
2014-05-26, 03:40 PM
"The sentient ones are. Usually. Not that it matters in the end."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-26, 04:52 PM
Now your attention has been drawn to the trap and the magic, you also note an aura of evil. It is faint, just as the spell aura, but that may be because the trap hasn't sprung yet. In all honesty, the potency of the aura sickens your stomach a bit.

JanusJones
2014-05-26, 05:24 PM
Indy keeps working through the discussion. She speaks without turning, voice businesslike.

"Look, we've got a long haul ahead. This is some major mojo, and it's just the front door, yeah? So I figure we play it safe, make it through, and then when we come back to open trade up, get some magic men out here to get rid of the spell. No way of telling what this thing would do, and I, for one, am not one to find out the hard way."

She clicks another tile down and sighs, wiping the sweat from her brow, then shoots a glance back at the party with a beleaguered grin. "Plus, it would put all my work to waste, no? Let's be smart about this, yeah?"

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-26, 05:40 PM
"Fair enough, if this expedition lasts as long as I think it will, we may be able to disable the spell ourselves by the end. So do you think this lever is really the key to continuing on after all?

Silver Night
2014-05-26, 11:38 PM
Opal

"Of course, if we run into trouble and have to retreat, we will have to stop and make this trap safe to cross once again." She eyeballs it, "My suggestion would be to close the portcullis in case it is a summoning trap, and then trigger it. If it summons something unpleasant, well, I'm sure we have among us a few crossbows and such that can shoot through the bars. If it has some other effect, presumably it is designed to inconvenience those actually standing on the plates - which will not be any of us. Alternatively I will think on it a moment and see if there would be any benefit to dispelling."

Knowledge: Psionics [roll0] to see if these types of magical traps are susceptible to dispel magic/psionics

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-27, 01:46 AM
You are not quite sure, but it appears to you that a succesful Dispel can suppress the magical consequences of the trap. Temporarily.

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 07:34 AM
Indy takes out a piece of chalk. With broad, childish strokes, she draws smiley faces on each of the disable tiles.

"Think you'll be able to spot that when you're running?" She grins.

"Look, I don't want to waste any more time or blood on the front door. This can't be the worst waiting for us - it probably isn't even close. We have many miles to travel, and if we make to the other side without disabling this, I'm not worried we can't come back and deal with it then."

Finished, she rolls her tools back up and stows them, stands, and dusts her hands off. "Well, shall we vote? All equal partners?" She looks expectantly at the group. "You know my mind on the matter."

CoreBrute23
2014-05-27, 08:11 AM
Duncan frowns and rubs his chin.

"Well, I'm not certain everyone would be able to follow it when in full retreat, at least we are forewarned." He then got a crafty smile. "And if an enemy does not give us a chance to discharge combat honourably, and chases us, well, it won't know about the trapped floor."

Duncan glanced around the room beyond the porticulis. "I'm still not happy with the idea of leaving a room so desecrated with evil. Caldris," He turned to the cleric. "Do you think we could perhaps purify this room somehow?"

I was thinking would turn undead remove the necromancy effect in this room, like a dispel magic might? Caldris, want to team up on this? Also do a KR roll, or just do turn undead. Or maybe you have a spell for the situation I don't know about.
Knowledge Religion roll, to find out if that could work: [roll0]

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 08:24 AM
Indy nods to Duncan. "All right, that's your vote." She looks to the others. "Caldris, sounds like you're next to cast yours."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-27, 08:31 AM
I am afraid Turn undead does not do that.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-27, 10:02 AM
"Permanently dispelling this spell would be best for everyone I think, but short of that we'll have to make due with Indy's markings, I'll search my memory on what it would take to rid us of this trap once and for all."

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-05-27, 03:37 PM
You have heard of very powerful magic that should be able to disintegrate the magical essence of this trap. You have never met anyone who can master that spell, though.

An option would be to dispel the spell after the trap is triggered. This is not always possible, though, if the spell is an instantaneous effect.

Third, one might attempt to use Dispel magic to counter the spell as it manifests when the trap is sprung. This requires a successful caster level check versus the creator of the trap.

The simplest way is to simply trigger the trap, endure whatever its effect is, and hope that the trap does not automatically reset.

Silver Night
2014-05-27, 10:38 PM
Opal

"I believe that dispelling on the untriggered trap would only be temporary. I suppose since we are already in the process, we might as well bypass it for the time being."

JanusJones
2014-05-27, 11:07 PM
"Three for moving on, one against." Indy nods. "How about the rest of you?"

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-27, 11:10 PM
"Yes, we should move on if this spell is half as powerful as I think it is dispelling it completely would take more powerful magic than we possess and I wouldn't want to risk our lives in an attempt. Make no mistake, I completely intend to come back and destroy this spell, personally if need be, this spell is far too dangerous to leave active."

Jacior
2014-05-28, 12:51 AM
"I think we should spring it and deal with the consequences now. If Pelor wishes us good fortune on our task, we shall be able to weather anything thrown at us."

JanusJones
2014-05-28, 07:35 AM
"Okay, three to two." She looks expectantly at the silent members of the party.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-28, 09:43 AM
Ilkiar moves closer to Opal until he's standing next to her and begins whispering trying his best to move his lips as little as possible

"Caldris and Duncan seem set on dealing with this trap now despite the danger in doing so, that kind of attitude is going to get us killed. If the vote doesn't go our way or worse it looks like one of them is trying to activate it anyway I need you to do me a favour. Before you mentioned dispelling like it was something you could readily do, if that's the case you can try to counterspell the trap as it's being activated. I shouldn't need to tell you how powerful this trap is if it looks like they are too blinded by their faith to see reason you know what to do."

The DM can correct me if I'm wrong but according to the wiki the DC should be 25, 15 to hear the whispers +10 to make it out. Also I'm whispering b/c I don't trust any of you, you're all trying to get me killed and I won't have it :smalltongue:

Twelvetrees
2014-05-28, 11:33 AM
Bypass it. Traps exist for a reason. 'Til we know that reason, the trap should remain.

Vuund crosses his arms, clearly thinking that his reasoning should be obvious.

JanusJones
2014-05-28, 05:26 PM
Indy nods decisively. "Four to two, and its settled." She gives a meaningful look to Ilkiar and the others. "Do you abide by the decision reached as a company?"

Silver Night
2014-05-28, 09:19 PM
Listen: [roll0]

Opal doesn't react to Ilkiar's words.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-29, 01:41 PM
"It should go without saying that we do." Ilkiar says gesturing to those that voted with him

"But do you?" He says looking at Caldris

Jacior
2014-05-29, 02:18 PM
Caldris just smiles. "I won't go against the group if that's what's decided. I just feel we will regret this decision in the future." He places a hand on his chest. "I truly hope we do not."

TheMiningDwarf
2014-05-29, 03:03 PM
"Good" Ilkiar says smiling back at Caldris "Now to the issue at hand how do we progress foward?"

CoreBrute23
2014-05-29, 06:34 PM
"Simple my good man." Duncan attempts to do a flourish of the hand that was not nearly as graceful as Indy's-infact it looked more like a fumble towards the floor.

"We follow the chalk arrows." And looking at Indy for confirmation, he gently stepped forward onto one of the tiles she had marked as deactivated. Once confident he hadn't blown up, he continues to walk.

JanusJones
2014-05-29, 09:13 PM
Indy stepped ahead. She turned, with a wink to Duncan. "Ladies first, no?"

After skipping across, she nodded at her work. When the last of the others cleared the obstacle, she turned to the darkness ahead.

"Well, no rest for the wicked, I suppose. Give me about thirty feet to work with, in case of ambush or danger."

She moved down the corridor carefully.

Search: [roll4]

Silver Night
2014-05-29, 09:50 PM
Opal

Opal follows at the distance indicated. waits outside for those who are more skilled to find any new way forward.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-01, 04:51 AM
Indy makes slow progress making the room safe for the differently talented. After disabling about four tiles, she stands next to the lever.

The lever looks like it is simply welded stuck. It does not look at all as if it is supposed to move either way. The top of the lever, however, neatly obscured from the vision of those outside the small room, features a simple button. It looks like it can be pushed.

JanusJones
2014-06-02, 12:13 AM
Indy inspects the area.

Tempted to just push, but required to check for traps.

[roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-02, 06:37 PM
Indy finds no traps and decides to push the button. Interestingly, while everyone is focused on what may or may not happen in the small room behind the portcullis, there is a slow, deep grating sound coming from the other hallway. Sounds like stone sliding over stone.

JanusJones
2014-06-02, 10:24 PM
Indy looks pleased. "Something new to investigate. This is moving right along, at least."

She bustles off in the direction of the sound, careful to navigate the floor and any new areas carefully.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-03, 03:14 PM
Indy heads for the corridor, no doubt followed by the others. Perhaps somewhat disappointingly, you notice that the hallway is no longer or wider than it was. However, when you look closely you see that the end of the hallway has transformed into a 12 ft wide stairway heading straight down. It is pitch black down there when you look at it from a small distance. Does Indy still want to go there alone, or will you traverse the stairs downwards together?

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-03, 06:24 PM
Ilkiar follows Indy but makes sure to stay behind Duncan as they move out to explore the newly opened passage. Using his torch to spread light for those not gifted with night vision.

He calls out to Indy.

"Do you see anything?"

JanusJones
2014-06-03, 06:26 PM
"Dark enough, that's for sure!" Indy calls back.

60 ft. darkvision, plus a Spot check of [roll0]

Twelvetrees
2014-06-03, 08:54 PM
Vuund walks even with Ilkiar, a growing grin on his face as they begin to travel further underground. He's obviously more happy than he was outside the cave.

Silver Night
2014-06-04, 12:42 AM
Opal

Opal peers down the stairs. Of course, as a mere human she can see little, "Well, that doesn't seem at all ominous. Do make sure to scream if something eats you while you're taking a look."

Jacior
2014-06-04, 01:18 AM
Caldris looks down the stairs. "We're just going to let her walk around down there by herself?" The light at his shoulder stayed in the same place no matter how he moved. "She might get hurt."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 02:11 AM
Indy heads to the stairs down, followed closely by the others.

The stairs run for roughly 50 feet straight ahead, and descend about 40 feet, you estimate. The steps are uncomfortably large for a Gnome. You can step twice to reach the end of each step, and you'll have to hop down to get to the next. For Human-sized folks the stairs are "just awkward". After 50 feet, the stairs seem to reach a small plateau/platform, and you can see the corridor turning left there (but you can't see beyond the turn).

On the small plateau/platform, you see four grizzly statues: Human-sized corpses, half skeletal, half rotting flesh. Who would make such a thing...and who would put it in his stairwell? The statues are portrayed holding a variety of weapons: swords, maces, flails, axes, one in each hand.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-04, 05:38 AM
Duncan smiles when he sees the staircase open, rather than some life-threathening trap. He positions himself infront of Ilkiar but behind Indy. He focuses his senses to see ahead of the torch light.

Spot check: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 05:48 AM
Everyone with Darkvision or low-light vision that peers down the stairs may look into the spoiler I made above for Indy.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-04, 06:16 AM
Duncan frowns at the sight of the statues. "hold on." He whispers, holding his arm out to stop Ilkiar from walking past him. "There are statues of corpses at the bottom." He focusses on the statues.

He uses detect evil on the statues.
Knowledge religion: [roll0]

He then says aloud to Indy, "Be careful when you check those for traps. Someone went to a lot of effort to idolize the undead. Those people are generally not considered 'safe'. "

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 06:50 AM
They are evil (2 moderate and 2 strong aura's) (Detect evil). Why they are evil, or what they are, you don't know (knowledge religion).

CoreBrute23
2014-06-04, 07:08 AM
I posted a knowledge religion above, do you want me to post another? Which statues are moderate and which are strong?

Duncan frowns. "These statues are evil. They practically radiate it."

JanusJones
2014-06-04, 07:22 AM
Indy nods to Duncan. "My thanks. Traps are a concern, but when 'statues' that look fleshy are emitting evil magic, I generally tend to think they aren't statues at all. After all, I could stand in a room for a few hundred years if I didn't have to worry about nap time and crumpets." She looks chagrinned.

"Honestly, I'd rather not go this one alone. If there's a way to break them or activate them from here, I'd advocate for that; failing that, I'd hate to be caught on those stairs in a fight; we might try to bait those things."

CoreBrute23
2014-06-04, 07:27 AM
Duncan nods. "If those things are undead waiting to be activated, there may be a way to destroy them from here." He turns back to Caldris.

"My friend, shall we attempt to turn the statues from here? Do you believe they are undead? Or perhaps they are some other form of evil you have knowledge of?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 07:28 AM
Yes, no, that's the info your knowledge religion check of 9 gave you. Nothing, basically. The front two have moderate aura's, the back 2 strong aura's. Otherwise they kind of look the same.

JanusJones
2014-06-04, 07:51 AM
Indy eyes the corridor, and statues, carefully, crouched at the top of the stairs and peering down into the dark.

I'm making the assumption they're creatures; if not, subtract 5 from these rolls (Collector of Stories bonus).

Know (arcana): [roll0]+13
Know (dungeon): [roll1]+9
Know (local): [roll2]+9
Know (nature): [roll3]+9
Know (religion): [roll4]+9
Know (planes): [roll5]+9

Check Bonus to Attack Damage:
15 or below: +1
16—25: +2
26—30: +3
31—35: +4
36 or higher: +5 (currently impossible)

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 08:43 AM
They appear to be Skeleton creatures of sorts. These are undead, and associated with the typical benefits of being undead. Additionally, they say it is better to bash them with blunt weapons, since they tend to resist damage from sharp and pointy weapons.

Jacior
2014-06-04, 02:43 PM
Caldris frowns and scowls as the "statues" come into sight. "If they are undead, then I shall cleanse this place of them in the name of Pelor!" He looks at them and racks his brain to see if he knew if they might be more than just zombies.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-04, 03:43 PM
They appear to be Skeleton creatures of sorts. These are undead, and associated with the typical benefits of being undead. Additionally, they say it is better to bash them with blunt weapons, since they tend to resist damage from sharp and pointy weapons.

JanusJones
2014-06-04, 05:22 PM
"Skeletal undead." Indy's tone is businesslike. "Blunt trauma weapons only - blades and such will do little good." She looks appraisingly at the holy men. "If you've the means to banish them, I'd say use it at range if possible."

gorilla-turtle
2014-06-04, 05:29 PM
As he follows the nearest light-source, so too does Xiphos attempt to intuit the nature of these objects.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

The second any of them start to come to life and move in our direction, Xiphos will immediately resummon his signature construct to block line of effect and to begin engagement.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-04, 05:55 PM
Ilkiar loads his crossbow for what little good it will actually do it makes him feel slightly safer while wishing, not for the first time, he had a spell capable of dealing damage.

Motioning to the melee fighters of the group Ilkiar says

"If these things start attacking watch your step, I'll try to trip them up with a spell"

If turning the statues fails and they move to attack, Ilkiar will cast grease on the floor

Jacior
2014-06-04, 08:32 PM
Caldris steps down, pushing rather rudely past the others. "Move! Let me get close enough to make sure they are destroyed." Once he makes sure they're in range to be affected, Caldris lifts the silver sun hanging around his neck. "In the name of Pelor, return to the darkness from which you spawned!"

Turn Check: [roll0] (Highest Hit Die affected: 11 HD)
Turn Damage: [roll1] (Total Hit Die Affected)
Effective Cleric Level for Turning: 7 (3.5 or lower hit die undead are destroyed instead of turned)

Twelvetrees
2014-06-04, 08:36 PM
As Caldris pushes past him, Vuund shifts his grip on his axe and follows closely behind.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-05, 03:32 PM
Caldris produces his Holy symbol and directs his attention at the statues. As usual, this action starts with a strong phrase as his Holy symbol lights up dimly. When he is done speaking, the light intensifies. Caldris directs it towards the statues: A brief, focused beam of silvery white light that blinds all of you fires at the skeletons. Even those that have witnessed undead turning before, or have even performed it themselves, such as Duncan, must admit that this is a very powerful display of holy power. You're seeing a true specialist at work here.

During the split second you are blinded, you hear the sound of bones shattering and then clattering on the floor. You blink and notice that the front two skeletons are gone, reduced to two small piles of bone fragments. The other two remain. Motionless, emotionless.

The two more powerful aura-undead remain.

Your knowledge check reveals these are skeletons. Undead, with associated immunities. In addition, they have DR/bludgeoning. You notice how Caldris' turning did not affect the two in the back and remember that while skeletons usually get more powerful with size (HD), there are also rituals that make 'simple' medium sized humanoid-shaped skeletons more powerful than they look.

gorilla-turtle
2014-06-05, 07:45 PM
"Nice lightshow. But unless you can do that any better than you did, you will not be able to dust the next two skeletons. That display had no effect on them; I suspect that they have been enhanced by rites most foul, to be more powerful than a standard undead. Hopefully not too much more powerful..." Xiphos remarks.

"Anyone who wishes to fight them should use the most blunt weapon they can find, rather than anything sharp or pointy. And anyone wishing to blast them should avoid using anything cold related... though I suppose this is rudamentary information. Maybe we split up, and attack both of them at the same time before either can move, assuming it is not trapped further?" he asks.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-05, 08:05 PM
"A good show nonetheless Caldris, those undead weaker or not would still have given us trouble if all four of them attacked at once."

"I can check for traps of the magical kind, I presume there are no mundane traps else our lovely trapmaster here would have found them already."

Ilkiar says as he moves to stand shoulder to shoulder with whoever is standing closet to the skeletons

He casts detect magic looking in the direction of the skeletons and studies the area before looking to the left and right provided he doesn't find anything save the two powerful undead he ends the spell and returns to his spot in the middle of the group.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-06, 02:02 AM
Ilkiar finds no magic in the stairway.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-06, 07:52 AM
"Looks like whoever controls these undead thought they would be enough to guard this corridor there are no spells on this place at all far as I can see."

CoreBrute23
2014-06-06, 08:28 AM
"Sweet Lightning bolt." Duncan whispered at the impressive sight of Caldris' manipulation of pure divine energy. Before Duncan had thought that being chosen as a warrior of Heironeous gave him a greater connection to his god's power than others. But Caldris' display of faith showed Duncan the true power that the gods can work through mortals.

Still when the light dimmed, and the two more powerful statues remained standing, Duncan knew the work was not yet done. He placed his sword into the Haversack, before drawing his old Morningstar. For once, he was grateful his nostalgia compelled him to keep it around.

"These remaining undead are the more powerful of the four. It is time to put an end to their corrupted existence." He glanced at the floor and then Ilkiar.

"Have you already cast a spell of grease on the floor? If so, perhaps we should begin firing at them long range, to compel them to attack, while Vuund and I should stand upfront as a vanguard. That way, they will trip, rather than us two warriors. Otherwise, please hold off on casting the spell until we can get within range of attack."* He glanced back at Xiphos. "If you are able to summon something, would you be able to summon something behind the undead while they fight us? Or if not, something with a long reach or a spear, so they can attack over us?"

He turned to Vuund "Are you ready friend?"

GM if we stand on the lowest step, just before the platform where the zombies are, can we reach the undead statues with a swing of our weapons? Or would we have to step on the platform to be in range?

Jacior
2014-06-06, 09:09 AM
Caldris merely frowns at the remaining undead. Then smirks when talk of his strength, or lack thereof pops up. "If you truly wish, I can bring the full might of Pelor's divine light upon those that remain. But, I can only call upon such power once per day and I believe it would be best to save that for a situation truly dire." He rubs the silvered symbol in his hand with a thumb. "That being said, I will leave it for you to decide."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-06, 09:15 AM
No, you'd have to stand where the piles of skeleton remains are now. Will make a map to clarify things later, am at work now. Also, we have visitors over and we'll be hiking in the mountains, so I am not sure when exactly I'll get 'round to that.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-06, 09:55 AM
"I was saving it for when the battle truely began, I can position the grease so that only the skeleton's will fall if you watch your step you should all be fine."

Ilkiar turns his attention to Caldris

"Save your power for later, if these last few rooms are any indication we'll be needing it later in the day."

"Now then, if everyone is ready I'll cast my spell and we can end these foul creatures existences"

Upon recieving confirmation that everyone has prepared themselves Ilkiar will cast his spell

I think we're just waiting for gorilla turtle to summon their construct and then we're good to go yeah?

Twelvetrees
2014-06-06, 10:48 AM
He turned to Vuund "Are you ready friend?"

Vuund stumped over to stand next to Duncan.

Oh, aye. More than ready.

He was grinning again.

gorilla-turtle
2014-06-06, 07:05 PM
Xiphos raises an eyebrow to Duncan, then extends his hand toward the enemies, fingers poised to snap.

Before he does anything else, he lowers his arm, and looks around for just a moment. "Actually, I had a bit of an idea." he remarks, observing the terrain. "I could summon another construct to assist in direct combat... or I could create a different effect to soften them up, especially if Ilkiar uses a spell to keep them busy. By the time they reach any of the three of you for melee combat, particularly if either Opal or Indy choose to provide any covering fire, they should fall easily to your weapons.

If that does not suit your fancy, then my constructs can support you charging the enemies directly. Your choice as to what we do. I am fine with either plan."

Energy Wall [Fire], with a Grease on the Skeletons to help keep them trapped further. They will take damage from the fire it emits, as well as eventually crossing the wall of flames directly. When they do pass through it, they end up wandering into your attacks of opportunity, and subsequent full attacks. I enjoy my Astral Constructs, but I have wanted to employ an Energy Wall since I considered using a [Sonic] version to just blow up the door blocking our path.

It is fine with me which tactic we use; costs me no more power-points to summon my signature construct, though I could spend a full round action to summon a weak one to provide flanking bonuses to one skeleton, then quicken my signature to provide such bonuses to the other, if that is desired, for only one more additional power point. If we went that route, I imagine Duncan and Caldris flanking the one with the weaker construct for a 2.5 on 1 fight, and Vuund charging the other with the aid of my stronger construct, for a 1.7 on 1 fight.

The rest of us would still provide covering fire in any situation, though I am not sure what area of effect spells Ilkiar will use if you warriors decide to move into melee combat against foes your size, and thus slightly harder to keep the sole victims of an area of effect.

Silver Night
2014-06-07, 08:46 PM
Opal

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Twelvetrees
2014-06-07, 11:42 PM
If there be a better tool, one uses it. Yer plan makes sense.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-08, 11:44 AM
I prefer your second plan, flaming grease it is.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-09, 06:12 PM
"Majority rules again, on with the plan."

Ilkiar casts a spell of grease so that the pool ends just before the still standing undead moving closer if he needs to

"You're next Xiphos"

Xiphos conjures his wall of fire, following the plan, on top of the pool of grease so that the undead will be burned by it's power but will still have to walk through the grease to cross over it

gorilla-turtle
2014-06-11, 12:35 PM
As Ilkiar moves to cast his spell, Xiphos follows quickly. Upon the splatter of grease, the man snaps his fingers, and a brilliant wall of energy appears, before turning into fire, filling the entire pathway with flames.

Likewise following suit for the plan. If the undead start heading toward us, Xiphos is backing up. The manifestation is only an auditory one that can be instead just a DC10 Listen Check for those at 15 feet, so I choose to invoke that instead of using up my psionic focus early. 5 points to manifest, and not yet distracted enough to need to make any checks while I concentrate on it. I'll leave it to you to decide how much damage they take if they choose to advance through it or fall and keep getting burned.

Should that be everything?

Silver Night
2014-06-11, 09:40 PM
Opal

Opal has her crossbow at the ready.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-12, 05:45 AM
Ilkiar moves back behind his party members before readying his croosbow, not wanting to be anywhere near the first thing the zombies see when on the attack.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-12, 01:27 PM
First, Ilkiar uses his magical powers to grease the floor right in front of the skeleton. Perhaps with some anticipation, he nods and Xiphos who nods back. A small high pitched noise is audible in the back of your heads for a small moment as an opaque thin sheet blocks the passage right in front of you. You can see the skeletons through the sheet, though not as clearly as before. Anticlimactically as it may be, the undead remain still, standing there stoically. You also don't see anything that indicates they are hurt by the fire, even though Xiphos is sure that where they stand now the fire should be eating away at them ([roll0] damage)

MAP (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpbEF0Ty1GcHNzMTg/edit?usp=sharing)

Twelvetrees
2014-06-12, 02:28 PM
Vuund grunts, then picks up a small pebble and tosses it at the undead in front of him.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-12, 02:31 PM
The rock bounces off the skeleton, and clatters on the floor. No response.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-12, 03:25 PM
Ilkiar looks over the shoulders of his companions to get a look at what's going on.

"They seem quite content to stand there and burn to undeath, since it seems ranged attack won't trigger them let's see if we can't pick them off at a distance."

Ilkiar lines up a shot with his crossbow and opens fire at the zombie on the left.

Attack
Damage: [roll]1d8+1

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-12, 03:28 PM
Messed up the damage roll [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-12, 03:57 PM
Ilkiar's arrow does not manage to come close to hitting a skeleton. Instead, it flies about 5 inches over their heads before hitting the wall behind.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-13, 04:45 PM
Dunca frowns. "Hmm. Perhaps they only trigger when in proximity to living things." He raises a hand premptively. "No, I am not going to charge in through the fire on the off chance it will make them trigger."

Placing his morningstar on his belt, he draws his longbow. He pulls out an arrow and draws it, before firing at the skeleton on the left.

Attack roll:[roll0]
Damage roll, if it hits: [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-14, 06:10 AM
Duncan's arrow flies true. The whole group looks with anticipation at the outcome. Disturbingly, the arrow strikes a skeleton in the chest, but it flies straight through the gap between a pair of ribs, landing on the ground on the other side of the undead.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-15, 12:29 AM
"That was anticlimactic.. Caldris, Opal do either of you have any offense magic? Arrows don't seem to work. That is unless you want to resort to melee combat."

Silver Night
2014-06-15, 04:16 PM
Opal

"I can, but it seems rather a waste on creatures who as of yet are not a threat. There are limits to what I can do in a day, and I expect we will go much further than this before we next rest. Perhaps you could try throwing rocks at them. Or if anyone has a sling?"

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-16, 11:55 PM
I doubt rocks would do anything to creatures of any merit at all, much less powerful undead like these. Perhaps we need simply be a bit closer to trigger them..

I would volunteer myself, though I'm not made of the stuff for melee combat should they attack me... Perhaps one of you sturdier individuals."

He says gesturing to Vuund and Duncan.

Jacior
2014-06-17, 08:41 AM
"Take down the wall and let us crush them under our combined might! No undead may be tolerated to exist while the holy light of Pelor shines upon this or any other world." Caldris says, gesturing with his mace.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-19, 04:49 PM
After a long moment Ilkiar speaks again "Very well, it was a good plan Xiphos but sadly it just didn't work. Dismiss your wall of flames and let's be done with this."

Provided Xiphos complies and dismisses his wall of fire Ilkiar will do the same for his grease spell.

gorilla-turtle
2014-06-20, 02:50 AM
At the request of Caldris, Xiphos sighs and waves at the wall of energy. "Give it about half a minute, and it will vanish by itself. I was hoping that would provoke at least some type of response from them. Most victims attempt to move out of the range of the energy, if not while screaming in agony for me, though most victims are also not reanimated skeletons." he remarks, sounding slightly disappointed.

Walking to the edge of the animation, he moves to check what lies beyond the corridor to the right of the undead. "I could attempt to summon something right there, and see how they respond, while we wait. If nothing else, than to ensure no traps are sprung if we advance further."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-21, 04:11 AM
Xiphos walks forward slowly. The hallway is dark, only lit by your few light sources. The Energy wall adds some light, but looking through the sheet limits your vision due to the opaque nature of the thing. Your vision on the skeletons is rather surrealistic, as the heat waves makes it seem they wiggle a little bit and they are bathed in a red glow. They do not respond to your presence. You think you see some small scorch marks, but not as much as you'd have expected after being exposed to the wall for a while (perhaps they have fire resistance 5, or some kind of regeneration/fast healing?).

Around the corner, you see the hallway advancing. It looks like it does where you stand now, except there is no stairs. The hallway beyond the turn is 15 feet wide. You can't see further than ~15 feet into that hallway, due to the tight angle you're looking at it with and the poor light conditions.

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-25, 02:02 PM
Seeing that the undead still aren't moving despite how close Xiphos is to them makes Ilkiar relax slightly despite their presence. Once the wall of energy expires Ilkiar works up the courage to creep closer and shed some light on the now dim hallway around the corner

"Be sure to watch my back." Ilkiar says as he moves to join Xiphos torch held forward towards the undead defensively

Once the wall of energy goes down Ilkiar will walk up until he is roughly next to Xiphos

Where is everybody

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-25, 04:05 PM
Both Xiphos and Ilkiar stand just 15 feet away from two idle, yet menacing looking skeletons. The sheet of fire is gone now.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-27, 11:38 AM
Duncan, satisfied the energy wall is down, steps forwards, moving past Xiphos and Ilkiar. Once in front of them [10ft away from the undead], he says aloud, "be prepared for anything my friends."

He glances back at Vuund. "I'll take the one on the right, you take the one on the left." He waits for Vuund to stand side by side with him against the undead. Then he takes off, his mace in hand.

"For Heironeous!"

So move infront of Xiphos and Ilkiar. 10 ft away from skeletons. If they don't trigger at that point, call for Vuund to stand next to me. If they still don't trigger...
1d20+8+2 Charging at the skeleton on the right.

If I hit, my damage roll:

AC is now at 22 for this round (24-2).

[roll]1d20+10 Charging at the skeleton on the right.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-27, 11:40 AM
[roll0]

Sorry about the double post.

Jacior
2014-06-27, 06:48 PM
Caldris stands waiting for trouble, the words of a spell ready to go if the skeletons proved to be too troublesome to the group. He holds his mace at the ready as well, but keeps back knowing he was not the skilled warrior that his companions were.

Twelvetrees
2014-06-28, 08:55 PM
Vuund charges in beside Duncan bellowing at the same time.

Back to death with you!

Charge with full Power Attack (-5). I now have -2 AC.

Attack:
[roll0]
Crit Confirm:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
Crit Damage:
[roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-29, 09:30 AM
Both Vuund and Duncan charge in, attempting to smash the skeletons into oblivion. Both blows connect, and you can hear the cracking of bones as Duncan's morningstar lands. Vuund finds that his axe is not ideal to deliver damage to these creatures, but the sheer amount of force behind his blow causes a significant amount of damage! The moment Vuund and Duncan come within melee range, the skeletons animate. Mindlessly and routinely, but obviously with skill, the undead automatons raise their weapons and prepare to beat the warriors senseless.

Initiative order
North skeleton (facing Vuund)
Vuund
Ilkiar
South skeleton (facing Duncan)
Duncan
Xiphos
Caldris
Opal

With aparently stunning reflexes, the skeleton facing Vuund starts wailing first. Equipped with an axe and a mace, he strikes out with both of them:

Feel free to describe hits/misses in your next post

Axe [roll0], damage [roll1], crit confirm (20) [roll2], damage [roll3].
Mace [roll4], damage [roll5], crit confirm (20) [roll6], damage [roll7].

Vuund and Ilkiar are up.

I don't have acess to the machine with the maps on them. However, I am assuming Vuund will stay put next to the skellie, and I don't expect Ilkiar to go and move in closer.

Twelvetrees
2014-06-29, 12:30 PM
Vuund grunts as the skeleton's axe finds a chink in his shoulder armor, then yelps as the mace connects with his nose.

VUund is now at 34 hit points.

Ah thaid, back to death wi' you!

Again, Vuund wildly swings at the skeleton in front of him.

Power Attack for -3.

Attack:
[roll0]
Crit confirm:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
Crit damage:
[roll3]

TheMiningDwarf
2014-06-29, 07:04 PM
Knowing that undead exist and being mentally prepared when two suddenly start attacking people only a few feet from you are two very different things.

Upon seeing the former statues come to life Ilkiar bolts back up the hallway as fast as his legs will take him, not giving a second thought to his companions' fate until his own is secure.

Ilkiar is now way in the back of the first group behind everyone else

Silver Night
2014-06-30, 02:45 AM
Opal

Opal gets a bit closer and throws a flask of Holy Water at the nearest of the skeletons.

Attack: [roll0] (Ranged Touch)

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-06-30, 04:08 PM
I'll take your action into account once your initiative is up.

Vuund strikes again at the skeleton. While he is not satisfied with his effort, he does manage to hit it. In the meanwhile, Ilkiar flees up the stairs, looking for cover. The other skeleton is up, and he also starts bashing his opponent, in this case Duncan, and in this case with a sword and flail.

You can describe the hits and misses in your next post.

Flail: [roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (20) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3]
Sword: [roll4], damage [roll5]. Crit confirm (19-20) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7]

Everyone that has not acted yet may act.

CoreBrute23
2014-06-30, 06:36 PM
The flail is a difficult weapon to use at the best of times. It's cumbersome, and takes time to wind back for an effective strike, by which point you've telegraphed it to your opponent. So it was a simple matter for Duncan to raise his shield to deflect it.

However, he was surprised when the sword managed to find a soft point to cut through his plate. "Aguh!" He exclaimed. He couldn't be distracted. It wasn't often he fought against opponents wielding two weapons at once skillfully. Who knows how much experience these undead acquired in their long years.

Still, while they possessed skill and steel, Duncan possessed something even greater. The support of his lord.

"Return to ash, you mockeries of life!" He swung his morningstar underarm, hoping to catch it in the chin.

Attack roll on skeleton I attacked before. [roll0] Damage roll [roll1]
Crit check (20) [roll2] Crit damage X2 [roll3]

Jacior
2014-07-04, 08:37 AM
Caldris pushes through his companions as much as possible. With a grunt, he swings his mace underhanded at the one on the left, seeking to connect with the skeleton's skull.

gorilla-turtle
2014-07-04, 11:44 PM
Xiphos rolls his eyes as Ilkiar takes off at top speed. With a snap of his fingers, a pale-blue ball of goop once again takes form, splashing between the two skeletons before instantly forming a vaguely bestial shape. With a simple directive of "Kill.", it immediately attacks the right most skeleton. He points his finger at the opposite monster, and contemplates another attack, before recrossing his arms and reading out the situation.

Quickened Action to expend my focus to summon my Signature Construct in between the two skeletons.
Free action to direct it to attack the one on the right.
Construct Attack Roll: [roll0]
Construct Damage Roll: [roll1]
Move Action to attempt to gain my focus back.[roll2]

A leftover standard action... no action, for now. Too many allies to shoot anything else off, and that's enough power points wasted anyway.

Out of character, this post was supposed to be around noon. I only saw later that it did not go through. My apologies.

Minor Edit: If that attack hit, does my construct not get a free trip attempt on the skeleton with no chance for reprisal?

TheMiningDwarf
2014-07-08, 05:19 PM
Once safely behind his allies Ilkiar looks back on the battle unfolding before him silently judging his alllies performance. He smiles approvingly when he notices Duncan's swing that would have likely killed the skeleton had he been a man. After briefly pawing through his bag and ascertaining that he did not bring anything useful for combat save his crossbow Ilkiar resigns himself to his useless and continues watching for when his powers may be needed

Pure fluff, I wish there was a ranged bludgeoning weapon, that is all

Edit: I'm juuudging youuu :smalltongue:

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-08-01, 06:12 AM
Duncan smacks the skeleton right under the chin, a blow he is sure would have knocked out any foe with actual blood running through the veins. Or rather, with actual veins. Caldris moves into melee range and tries to copy Vuund and Duncans succesful tactic: beat it till it is gone. Unfortunately, his blow misses. The Skeleton hisses loudly, like a monstrous snake being stepped on during its sleep. It takes a moment before you realize it is actually caused by a dose of holy water thrown by Opal that eats away at the skeleton's bones as if it were an agressive acid. The party in the corner of the corridor is complete when Xiphos' Astral Construct joins the frenzy and starts wailing on one of the Skeletons. It hits and attempts to trip the Skeleton, but it stands firmly, as if rooted.

Ilkiar, now safely in the back, oversees matters and notices things seem, albeit dangerous, under control. The Skeleton facing Vuund is ready to perform his attack routine again, and Vuund finds again an axe and a mace whirling in his direction.

Axe attack [roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (20) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3].
Mace attack [roll4], damage [roll5]. Crit confirm (20) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7].

New Map (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpR0IyQ3VlQlRwYTg/edit?usp=sharing)

Vuund and Ilkiar are up!

Twelvetrees
2014-08-03, 08:59 PM
As the skeleton's mace connects with his nose once more, Vuund gives a roar of rage, blood spraying everywhere. He draws back his axe, and brings it down in a mighty overhead swing.

Vuund is now raging. +4 Strength and Con, -2 AC.

HP: 20 without rage, 30 with rage.

Power Attacking for -5.

Attack:
[roll0]
Crit confirm:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
Crit Damage:
[roll3]

TheMiningDwarf
2014-08-04, 12:52 PM
Vuund's wild swing at the skeleton snaps Ilkiar's attention back to the battle in front of him. Noticing Vuund's lack of armour compared to the veritable metal shell the paladin next to him is wearing gives Ilkiar an idea. Upon his touch a magical shell of armour spreads out to reinforce the barbarian's own.

"You can thank me later." Ilkiar mutters once his spell is complete

Ilkiar moves up and casts Mage Armour on Vuund, Asap Ilkiar is moving back to where he was.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-08-05, 02:52 PM
Vuund's whirling axe again chips away at the Skeleton facing him. While not destroyed quite yet, it appears rather damaged. Ilkiar moves in to cast a protective spell on Vuund. However, the distance is too large to move to the barbarian and cast a spell. For now, the Sorcerer is standing behind Vuund. Safely out of reach of the Skeleton.

I am sorry, but the distance was too large for a move action to cover. You can cast the spell next round and move back, or move back if you feel by then the spell is not necessary any more. Rest assured, you are quite safe in the position you are in.

The southern Skeleton lifts its flail and sword and mechanically starts wailing on Duncan, with the consistency and rhytm of an automaton.

Flail: [roll0], damage [roll1]. crit confirm (20) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3].
Sword: [roll4], damage [roll5]. crit confirm (19-20) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7].

Everone, except Vuund and Ilkiar, may act.

NEW MAP (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cCkJpKBtmpaUV3YkZZOXBLeWc/edit?usp=sharing)

TheMiningDwarf
2014-08-05, 03:58 PM
Ilkiar will cast the spell next round then move back then.

How would I tell distances on the map? I don't recall seeing a legend anywhere.

Silver Night
2014-08-05, 11:53 PM
Opal

Opal's action was on teh previous page: Holy water flask, touch attack roll of 15, damage roll of 6, nearest skeleton

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-08-06, 02:22 AM
Each square on the map is a 5 foot square. Sorry, I am so used to that, that I don't even mention it anymore.

That was last round. Your action was taken into account in one of my last posts:

Duncan smacks the skeleton right under the chin, a blow he is sure would have knocked out any foe with actual blood running through the veins. Or rather, with actual veins. Caldris moves into melee range and tries to copy Vuund and Duncans succesful tactic: beat it till it is gone. Unfortunately, his blow misses. The Skeleton hisses loudly, like a monstrous snake being stepped on during its sleep. It takes a moment before you realize it is actually caused by a dose of holy water thrown by Opal that eats away at the skeleton's bones as if it were an agressive acid. The party in the corner of the corridor is complete when Xiphos' Astral Construct joins the frenzy and starts wailing on one of the Skeletons. It hits and attempts to trip the Skeleton, but it stands firmly, as if rooted.

Ilkiar, now safely in the back, oversees matters and notices things seem, albeit dangerous, under control. The Skeleton facing Vuund is ready to perform his attack routine again, and Vuund finds again an axe and a mace whirling in his direction.

Silver Night
2014-08-07, 02:51 AM
Opal

Having thrown the only useful weapon she has against the skeletons (At least, that won't also splash on her allies), Opal moves forard and takes a peek around the corner, to at least make sure they aren't attacked from the side while everyone is concentrating on the skeletons.

Moving to U6. Spot check, at least if she can actually see: [roll0]

Sorry I didn't see you'd already used my previous action! Didn't read carefully enough.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-08, 11:15 AM

The skeleton surprised him by not reeling back when struck on the chin, which allowed the creature to stab Duncan's side, causing him to grimance in pain. The flail proved ineffectual as expected.

Duncan took a step back, as the skeleton continued to attack relentlessly, guarded only by his shield and strong arm. It was strong, and it's attack was random, so a pattern was hard to figure out. Dunan however believed he saw an opening, when the creature raised both it's arm for a combined strike. In a flash, Duncan moved his shield, went low and struck the creature in the knees with his morningstar, with force hopefully strong enough to break them.

[roll0]