PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Hellbred Race

Xintas
2014-05-05, 04:56 PM
So...the listing seems to be missing a TON of information. Obviously, this can be filled in by the DM and the players, but I was wondering what information or assumptions can be drawn strictly from rules or other sources.

First, what is the maximum age/aging table/do they age? I know that the listing handwaves it by saying that most die really early after being "reborn".

Second, usually dark red skin, sometimes green scales? Is this supposed to imply that any devilish skin type could be the basis for the look? Also, the sizing information is missing.

I know that I am not mentioning a lot of what is missing, but those are the most pressing questions for me.

AuraTwilight
2014-05-05, 05:38 PM
You're forgetting that the Hellbred, like the Dragonborn, is more like a template that's applied to another race.

Xintas
2014-05-05, 06:41 PM
I would not really say that is accurate. As the only thing you keep from your previous race is the languages you knew, it hardly seems like a template and more of a "it would be weird if the character used to speak elven and now couldn't, which would prevent him from associating with some of the people he clearly did in the past".

Besides: "The Scourging transforms a character into a creature known as a hellbred. The powers of good and evil—warring for a hellbred’s soul—rend and twist him into a new form."

RAI, that seems pretty clear on the whole "not being the same thing but augmented slightly" that dragonborn are.

Xintas
2014-05-06, 11:33 AM
Is that listing the only information that is available for Hellbred? No sample npcs or anything that fills in that information?

Red Fel
2014-05-06, 12:05 PM
As I recall, the only source of Hellbred material was the book that originated them, FC II. If it's not in there - and I don't believe it is - then it simply doesn't seem to exist. It's open to interpretation.

There is a sample NPC in the same book, Tybalt the Cursed. Again, however, no details. It tells us he's medium, but nothing about age, or the specifics of appearance, or what-have-you.

Basically, it's a case of "fudge it, because this race is super cool."

For example, I once made a Dragonborn Hellbred, and combined the physical feature descriptions - gave him silvery scales with a parched, green, sickly coloration, and ridges over his eyes reminiscent of small horns.

Again, it's open to interpretation.

BornValyrian
2014-05-06, 02:47 PM
The sample hellfire warlock is also a Hellbred, but the information is the same as Tybalt. One thing I noticed, however, is that her appearance looks completely human and she has the soul aspect. It would appear that only people who had the Body scourge aspect look diabolical.

But that's looking at the two arts of the different characters.