PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell Points

Chris Robin R2
2014-05-06, 07:06 AM
Are there any good versions of this for PF? I've looked at SSG's Houserule Handbooks Spell Points, and it's okay. I like that the Wizard doesn't actually have to prepare spells, but I hate the open/reserve pools and eldritch dissonance. Interestingly, they ALSO did a wizard archetype, the Zauberer that uses spell points. He switches to CHA, only has one pool and no dissonance, but gives up arcane bond and arcane discoveries (that kinda hurts). Curiously, he has 280 points at level 20, compared to the other version's 186. Also bothersome, at level 2 both have 8 points... compared to say, a Psion with 6 points it looks better, but a Psion can get more bonus points easily. (I have 15, myself).

However, actually playing a Psion in place of a Wizard, I suffer a bit for a few reasons. 1, I would really like a spellbook so I could learn new spells more easily. 2, I can't use magic items without a UMD check and I'm not gonna find any psionic items in a published AP. 3, I'm fighting lots of undead and constructs so all those mind-effecting powers aren't very useful. Some things I just can't mimic.

I seriously thinking of either just playing a wizard who leaves his slots blank (and takes Fast Learner to fill them in 1 minute), or switching to the ACG Arcanist. Has anyone got any advice on this?

Xerlith
2014-05-06, 12:16 PM
There's only one good spellpoint system that I know of - and it's homebrew, available here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics)