PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other What are the Hallmarks of divine beings?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-05-06, 01:11 PM
Ok, so let me just start off by saying ... I've got the idea for a class, and I've come up with a plethora of abilities that work quite well with the flavor. However, I need even MORE abilities, due to the "pick and choose" kind of level up system I have in mind. So here's the question ....

What kind of abilities/traits do you think embody celestials/devils/demons/etc?

It could be anything crazy, provided it fits with the theme of divine creatures, and I'm not hung up on mechanics, or how astonishingly original the idea may be. I'm just curious as to how other playgrounders envision their angels and demons.

For instance
Ragnarok: Once per day, an X can dissolve the planar bounderies between the upper and lowers planes, allowing angels, devils and demons and their masters to freely materialize on the Prime plane. This usually ends up creating a huge battle that consumes the whole world.

But they don't have to be as ridiculous as that, or even THAT impressive.

like so...
Silver Tongue
An X gains a competence bonus to bluff and diplomacy equal to X.

So consider this an exercise in creativity! And thanks in advance.

Gildedragon
2014-05-06, 01:36 PM
Well flight for one, shapeshifting, capacity to possess/inspire mortals, planar travel...
Some more detail into what you want to do would be useful

TheFamilarRaven
2014-05-06, 01:56 PM
Well flight for one, shapeshifting, capacity to possess/inspire mortals, planar travel...
Some more detail into what you want to do would be useful

Y'know, I don't know why, but I didn't even think about planar travel and shape shifting ..... Thanks ..

As for more detail.

Imagine that the Aasimar and Tiefling races did not exist, and that they were instead replaced by a class that granted them the powers of their ancestors.

I had this complicated idea that, depending on the choice of abilities, the class could function well as either a stealth/skill based class or a heavy melee class, using their supernatural abilities to benefit themselves/allies and control the battle field.

But now I'm leaning towards the latter, a decent melee class with enough supernatural/spell-like abilities to offset the natural downsides of being a melee class.

If I need to be MORE specific let me know, and I'll try to explain further.

Edit: And while I'd naturally include some of the benefits of the Baatezu/Celstial/etic subtypes, I don't want the class to simply be defined as "that one class that lets you play a X outsider without being THAT X outsider"

Gildedragon
2014-05-06, 02:02 PM
I see. You might want to give the savage species outsider monster classes a look, check what stuff try give. As to ancestor power that sounds a lot like spirit shaman, possibly binder or warlock; and depending on the cosmology cleric or paladin or favored soul
Which means checking them and their acfs might be a good start in figuring what sort of stuff divine channeling grants

Zale
2014-05-06, 08:17 PM
If I were attempting to emulate Angelic beings, I'd probably start with Biblical lore, simply because Angels are downright terrifying in it.

Frightful Presence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#frightfulPresence) is something I would look into- particularly whenever they arrive via planar travel. Because Angels usually scared people if they weren't disguised. Imagine something that looks like half a zoo on fire flying above you. Not exactly reassuring.

Being able to rig dice rolls might also be in order: Being able to curse someone to roll 1s the next time they attempt to attack, or blessing someone to roll a ten\twenty the next time they try a particular roll.

Also: Make sure not to lean too heavily on making certain abilities unavailable to certain alignments. A plague may not seem very Angelic, but Biblical Angels were basically weapons of mass destruction- They destroyed armies and killed entire nations in a single day. And a Fiend has to offer you something in order to get what they want out of you. Sometimes that's the assurance you'll have a child.

Of note, you could possibly make a few "trees" of abilities that people can meander down as they will. Maybe something like a Traveling (Wings, movements, Teleporting), Smiting (Flaming Swords, Holy Fire, Plagues, Curses), Blessings (Healing, Enhancing, etc) and Communicating (Social bonuses and disguises/shapeshifting).

That way people could mix-match as they whim. Of course, that adds a lot of work.

Anyway, this sounds like an interesting idea.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-05-07, 02:15 AM
If I were attempting to emulate Angelic beings, I'd probably start with Biblical lore, simply because Angels are downright terrifying in it.

I had neglected the angel = terrifying perspective, since i've be stuck in the rut of "celestial-like, all heavenly and sparkly type (not necessarily forced to be good aligned though)", rather than the "holier than thou approach" ... thanks, I'll look into that.

Being able to rig dice rolls might also be in order: Being able to curse someone to roll 1s the next time they attempt to attack, or blessing someone to roll a ten\twenty the next time they try a particular roll.

Twisting fate can work, and it's definitely fits the flavor. awesome.

Also: Make sure not to lean too heavily on making certain abilities unavailable to certain alignments. A plague may not seem very Angelic, but Biblical Angels were basically weapons of mass destruction- They destroyed armies and killed entire nations in a single day. And a Fiend has to offer you something in order to get what they want out of you. Sometimes that's the assurance you'll have a child.

Of course. In staying true with the whole "born with these powers" theme, alignment is not dictated by choice of fiendish or angelic heritage, nor does alignment disable using the abilities of their heritage

Of note, you could possibly make a few "trees" of abilities that people can meander down as they will. Maybe something like a Traveling (Wings, movements, Teleporting), Smiting (Flaming Swords, Holy Fire, Plagues, Curses), Blessings (Healing, Enhancing, etc) and Communicating (Social bonuses and disguises/shapeshifting).

I had been thinking of something similar, but you helped categorize the "trees", which is awesome, thanks.

That way people could mix-match as they whim. Of course, that adds a lot of work.

Not too much, I got about 27 Class features written down and I'm still adding to it for final review (well, 54 if we count both the angelic, and fiendish versions of each ability). So in essence, it's just a lot of fluff writing, which I enjoy.

Anyway, this sounds like an interesting idea.

Thanks for the help.