PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Curious Question(s) about Sovereign Glue?

unseenmage
2014-05-06, 01:51 PM
As asked here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?332898-Simple-Q-amp-A-D-amp-D-3-5-(by-RAW)-XXVI&p=17419972&viewfull=1#post17419972), Can Sovereign Glue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#sovereignGlue) be used to affix Quintessence (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.d20srd.org%2Fsrd%2Fpsionic%2F powers%2Fquintessence.htm&ei=gdxnU5ztJYrlyAGtrYCADQ&usg=AFQjCNFw915mPwpYrGdtxGh8nrbZkYYDRg&bvm=bv.65788261,d.aWc) to another object?

Am also curious about Sovereign Glue and Shrink Item (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.d20srd.org%2Fsrd%2Fspells%2Fs hrinkItem.htm&ei=VS9pU5OyAc2ayAS0tIGwAw&usg=AFQjCNEFdYbHN7CestWf2bH78TyzsjGlEg). One would think that there could be some weirdness created when the Sovereign Glue is placed just so and the shrunken item is sized or shaped just so. At the risk of killing catgirls the two might even interact to generate force/energy. Maybe, I dunno. Thoughts?

Any other fun uses of Sovereign Glue, stories of it's OPness, etc more than welcome. Just generally trying to wrap my head around how it can break the universe. Not that I know it can per se, but is there any printed item or spell or whatever that the Playground couldn't break the universe with? (Hmmm, might need a new thread for that question. :smallconfused:)

Shining Wrath
2014-05-06, 02:00 PM
You can put sovereign glue on quintessence. Quintessence is a material; sovereign glue acts on any substance; sovereign glue can be *applied* to quintessence.

But ...

It takes sovereign glue one round to set. That one round never happens so long as the sovereign glue is in contact with the quintessence, which prevents the passage of time.

Objects sealed within quintessence are protected from the effects of time; in practical terms, they enter a state of stasis.

and

The glue takes 1 round to set.

Therefore quintessence prevents sovereign glue from acting.

unseenmage
2014-05-06, 03:34 PM
You can put sovereign glue on quintessence. Quintessence is a material; sovereign glue acts on any substance; sovereign glue can be *applied* to quintessence.

But ...

It takes sovereign glue one round to set. That one round never happens so long as the sovereign glue is in contact with the quintessence, which prevents the passage of time.

and

Therefore quintessence prevents sovereign glue from acting.

Except that Quintessence only stops time for things which are completely enveloped by it. As it says there in the text you quoted.

Kazudo
2014-05-06, 03:39 PM
Except that Quintessence only stops time for things which are completely enveloped by it. As it says there in the text you quoted.

I could see it working should it be simply a flattened segment of quintessence attached to something, but if you tried to Glue quintessence all the way around something I'd have to say it would never set until the round after the quintessence was no longer totally enveloping the object. This would be an interesting way to make bread, that's for sure.

Gemini476
2014-05-06, 03:44 PM
Not really?

Objects sealed within quintessence are protected from the effects of time; in practical terms, they enter a state of stasis. Living flesh with only partial contact with quintessence is also partially pulled out of the time stream (the manifester is immune to this effect).
I guess technically you could argue that that's only for living flesh and not anything else, but it does set a precedent for Shining Wrath's point.

If the part of the glue that touches the Quintessence is timelocked, it never gets the required round to set.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-06, 03:51 PM
If you put quintessence on one side of the glue and something else on the other side, then I suppose that the glue might adhere, but the quintessence then never comes in contact with whatever is on the other side of the glue, and can never be removed from the glue.

I suppose you could glue quintessence to your sword, but all you'll have is a funny looking sword, because the quintessence will have no effect. If you say "No, I wrap the entire sword in the glue / quintessence layers", then the glue is once again subject to being inside the quintessence. In any case, the quintessence is not coming off the sword when you hit something.

So you can have a piece of something partially covered in glue / q, but you can never have something entirely covered on all sides with glue / q, because then the q keeps the glue from adhering.

unseenmage
2014-05-06, 04:00 PM
Ah, I see the issue. It was assumed I was trying to glue Quintessence all the way around something. This is not the case. I was asking if the "1-ounce dollop of thick, gooey material" could be glued to another object via Sovereign Glue. My apologies for the confusion.

Now my question is, is Qintessence a solid or a liquid? More specifically, could it be pumped via tubes and hoses or can it only be rolled like some sort of gooey time booger?

Shining Wrath
2014-05-06, 04:06 PM
Ah, I see the issue. It was assumed I was trying to glue Quintessence all the way around something. This is not the case. I was asking if the "1-ounce dollop of thick, gooey material" could be glued to another object via Sovereign Glue. My apologies for the confusion.

Now my question is, is Qintessence a solid or a liquid? More specifically, could it be pumped via tubes and hoses or can it only be rolled like some sort of gooey time booger?

I vote for a consistency not unlike toothpaste. It might take some serious pumping power but nothing an enslaved Titan couldn't handle.

unseenmage
2014-05-06, 04:16 PM
I vote for a consistency not unlike toothpaste. It might take some serious pumping power but nothing an enslaved Titan couldn't handle.

I've always visualized it as a liquid for some reason. My guess is that a non-Newtonian fluid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWu9CyDwuFs) is more accurate.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-06, 04:20 PM
I've always visualized it as a liquid for some reason. My guess is that a non-Newtonian fluid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWu9CyDwuFs) is more accurate.

We are of course getting seriously close to trying to inject physics into magic, which may be the original sin of the church of 3.5, but I'd point out that one cannot mold a liquid into a ball around something. It must have some viscosity.

unseenmage
2014-05-06, 04:28 PM
We are of course getting seriously close to trying to inject physics into magic, which may be the original sin of the church of 3.5, but I'd point out that one cannot mold a liquid into a ball around something. It must have some viscosity.

Agree completely. And yet, there it is in my imagination, liquid and flowing. Probably due to word association and 'the flow of time' or something.
Then again, maybe large quantities of quintessence are like a ball pit in a pizza parlor. Perhaps large quantities of Quintessence "flow" in that they roll around. :smalltongue:

Kazudo
2014-05-07, 08:54 AM
It sounds to be describing a substance similar to somewhat distilled honey.

Which makes me suddenly realize why beehives survive so long in adverse conditions: they're all high level psions!

unseenmage
2014-05-07, 09:08 AM
It sounds to be describing a substance similar to somewhat distilled honey.

Which makes me suddenly realize why beehives survive so long in adverse conditions: they're all high level psions!

This... This explains so much!

Harrow
2014-05-07, 09:52 AM
I've always imagined quintessence as a liquid with very high cohesion but little to no adhesion. So, it's a liquid, but not 'wet'.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-07, 11:02 AM
Agree completely. And yet, there it is in my imagination, liquid and flowing. Probably due to word association and 'the flow of time' or something.
Then again, maybe large quantities of quintessence are like a ball pit in a pizza parlor. Perhaps large quantities of Quintessence "flow" in that they roll around. :smalltongue:

Light behaves like a particle in some tests and like a wave in some others.

Maybe quintessence flows like a liquid until it finds an object it can surround, which point it engulfs it, Blob-like, and seals it off from the universe.

Semi-sapient quintessence seeking to seal physical objects off from the flow of time adds a wonderful je ne sais quoi of creepy to the entire exercise.