PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft Awaits (IC, Group A)

Pages : [1] 2

miinstrel
2014-05-06, 02:06 PM
http://www.miscellaneoushi.com/thumbnails/detail/20121024/night%20forest%202560x1600%20wallpaper_www.miscell aneoushi.com_37.jpg

Barovia. The valley between realms. For many centuries the demiplane had been used as a shortcut between distant lands to speed trade along the time-worn roads. To enter this land you must pass along one of several roads during the full moon. There are no portals or signs to Barovia. You're told eventually a mist will blanket the path and just when you feel you've lost your way, you will break through the other side into a forested vale that looks much like one you might find near your home.

... But use of the Barovian shortcut has fallen out of fashion of late. The last hundred years have seen decreasing traffic, tales of wolves, bandits, and foul beasts weeping from survivors' tongues to mingle with the blood of friends and family staining their tunics.

You have approached one of these roads a few nights ahead of the full moon for your own reasons. Looking around, you see the area expectedly devoid of life save three other travelers also waiting for their opportunity to pass through the forested tunnel. An ominous breezes sets the leaves rustling as you join the others and wait for the silvery light to beckon you forth.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-06, 08:40 PM
William stirs the embers of his fire before tossing another log onto it. He then warms his hands over the flames. He noticed the other travelers waiting in the area with him, and at first desided that they could find their own camps. Then he remembered that his whole mission in life was to help people. Any people, not just those who need it more. Surely these people must be getting cold as the daylight begins to fade. Ye lads can come share my fire for the night if ye'd like.He calls over to them, and turns back to his fire. Odd that there were three others here at the same time as he. Perhaps the woman who hired him had hired others as well? If so, he would be glad for the help, this lot seemed handy enough, and it's not like there was much to split in the way of reward anyways, not that he minded.

wizuriel
2014-05-06, 09:46 PM
It had been a miserable few days on the trail. Even with the full moon the trail path was dark, and it wasn't just the lack of light. It was nothing like the lands back at home. Ellroh sighed, thinking back to his homeland would accomplish nothing. At first he thought it might be a trick of his pendants light, but no off the distance he spotted a fire. Travelers? Cautiously Ellroh will approached the camp keeping a lookout for any signs of an ambush.
(spot check see ooc).

Ellroh was shocked to see a lone orc by the fire, and even more shocked when he offered to share his camp.

Thank you stranger Ellroh responded in perfect orcish. I honestly started to expect that I would see no humanoid life on this trail. I would not have accepted such kindness from one of your kind.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-06, 10:18 PM
It had been a miserable few days on the trail. Even with the full moon the trail path was dark, and it wasn't just the lack of light. It was nothing like the lands back at home. Ellroh sighed, thinking back to his homeland would accomplish nothing. At first he thought it might be a trick of his pendants light, but no off the distance he spotted a fire. Travelers? Cautiously Ellroh will approached the camp keeping a lookout for any signs of an ambush.
(spot check see ooc).

Ellroh was shocked to see a lone orc by the fire, and even more shocked when he offered to share his camp.

Thank you stranger Ellroh responded in perfect orcish. I honestly started to expect that I would see no humanoid life on this trail. I would not have accepted such kindness from one of your kind.

In good common William says, I am sorry frien', but I do not speak the foul language o' the 'one eye' worshippers. Regeler human speech is good enou' fer me. He points to one of the rabbits he has cooking on a spit, Help yerself if ye like.Doesn't seem to be much food aroun' here. Could be yer last chance to eat somethin that ain't from yer backpack fer awhile. Names William by the way, humble servant of Kord, if you would like to engage in prayer with me, I would be more than happy to grapple with you. Or perhaps fisticuffs? If not, it's fine. William grabs one of the rabbits, and bites deeply into it. juices running down his smiling face. He also offers a swig of firebrandy to wash down the coney, passing a bottle over to the newcomer.

wizuriel
2014-05-07, 12:19 PM
In good common William says, I am sorry frien', but I do not speak the foul language o' the 'one eye' worshippers. Regeler human speech is good enou' fer me. He points to one of the rabbits he has cooking on a spit, Help yerself if ye like.Doesn't seem to be much food aroun' here. Could be yer last chance to eat somethin that ain't from yer backpack fer awhile. Names William by the way, humble servant of Kord, if you would like to engage in prayer with me, I would be more than happy to grapple with you. Or perhaps fisticuffs? If not, it's fine. William grabs one of the rabbits, and bites deeply into it. juices running down his smiling face. He also offers a swig of firebrandy to wash down the coney, passing a bottle over to the newcomer.

Ellroh will smile and accept the offered firebrandy. It will be an honour to share a meal with you and pay homage to Kord. Sorry about earlier, sometimes my mouth just runs away, I did not mean to provide any offense. I am called Ellroh, a professor from the Miskatonic University of the Elvish federation. Not sure why they call it a university though, half my colleagues are wizards that spend all their time wraggling their fingers and chanting obscure phrases. Most of them don't even understand what they are doing, they just memorize how to get their magic to work. Sorry I shouldn't rant about internal politics; they just sent me out here in the middle of nowhere investigating rumours of a tome.

miinstrel
2014-05-09, 11:13 AM
OOC: For the sake of keeping things moving...

Mynar
You almost didn't notice him before, as he blends almost perfectly into the shadowy background when he keeps still. The rhythmic slosh of liquid in a small flask reminds you of his presence. "Mighty kind of ya, thanks," he says flatly coming a little closer to the fire but keeping a bit of distance. "Name's Mynar."

He seems a little guarded, and perhaps a bit drunk, but friendly enough.

DM
You carry on with your conversations until your eyes grow heavy and dry from the campfire smoke. The clouds break overhead and the forest floor is filled with twisting shadows painted by the entwined branches overhead. Looking up you see the moon is a softly glowing sphere, slightly yellowed as though made of ancient paper. The way the clouds play across its surface you could swear it’s looking at you with a sadistic grin. Brushing the thought from your mind, you pack your gear and stretch your joints before venturing forth along the path.

As promised, a few hundred feet in you find yourself surrounded by a cold, cloying fog that seems to drip down the back of your tunic. You can barely see the man in front of you. Above all, you get the eerie sense of being watched as though the mist were alive, beckoning you forward for its own ends. Relief sets in as you step out of the fog twenty very long minutes later. Ahead stands a rickety building in need of several repairs - you note a broken step, dangling shutter on the second floor, and several bare sections of roof, the shingles lying haphazardly around the base of the building - but still serviceable. Lights flicker inside and you can see the shadows of people moving about. The sign out front reads “The Weary Horse Inn” in carved letters whose paint has all but faded.

The time is 11pm.

wizuriel
2014-05-09, 12:25 PM
Well this place looks even worse than the dormitories we have setup for the first years, still a roof over my head will be most welcome, well a roof slightly more reliable than my tent. .

Ellroh will carefully walk up to the inn and open the door, keeping an eye out for anything that might cause trouble he will enter the inn if it looks safe with a smile. For now his weapons are stored in his bag, but he will be holding the bag loose and ready in case he needs to draw anything.

one of these days will get it right, in ooc

Centaur Hero
2014-05-09, 02:11 PM
William introduces himself to the latecomer. And drinks steadily until the time to leave comes. His sword never leaves his hands until he sees the Inn. Then he sheathes it, and announces to the makeshift party, Come friends, let's have a nightcap, and perhaps a bed to sleep in. He then walks confidently to the door, and opens it.

miinstrel
2014-05-09, 02:34 PM
You spy nothing out of the ordinary about the ramshackle building.

Under the silvery light of the moon, a fog creeps across the land clutching everything in its clammy grasp. Inside the Weary Horse Inn, however, the fire is warm enough.You open the door with a creak and find several sullen faces staring at you a little boldly, obviously assessing the newcomers. One woman is just setting down fresh ales for a pair of gents at one table while another pair sits in the corner talking quietly. Eventually they turn back to their soft conversations.

For an inn’s common room, it’s quiet. It holds no more than a handful of customers. They keep their voices low, and even the clink of their mugs seems subdued by the fog rolling in outside. A table against the front window holds a woman in plate mail, obviously a warrior and traveler of some sort, and three empty chairs. The other two tables are occupied by the pairs of men, obviously locals.

That woman is you obviously. Feel free to chime in with a fuller description and actions.

2gig
2014-05-09, 07:04 PM
Well, this sure beats sleeping out in the forest again, Mynar thinks aloud after a quick look around the in. 'Ey, Lass, I'll have a pint when you're done servin' the rest, he says, with a big stupid grin on his face, as he's eager to avoid draining what little drink he has left in his pack.

So, William, I bet I know what a big, strong worshiper of the big, strong god is out here for. Came to smash up some no-good zombies didn't ya? I heard there's lots of them suckers 'round these parts, says Mynar, brimming with already drunken confidence.

Ionbound
2014-05-09, 07:45 PM
The young, black-haired woman looks up at traveler's, who might notice her foggy grey eyes, before saying somberly and soberly, "You really shouldn't be here. This is a cursed land." She then turns her attention to William and continues, "An outside Cleric? I wish you luck here. You are far from your god, and it is unlikely you'll hear her voice." William might recognize her shield as a holy symbol, though it will almost certainly be on a god he's never heard of.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-09, 11:36 PM
William nods agreement to the mention of how this place beats a night under the clouds. I will smash any foes as will present themselves. But my mission is to rescue a fellow who went missin. His wife asked me to help locate him. If you two are headed for Barovia village, then perhaps we could stick together for awhile. Few can stand before my mighty sword, but the company would be nice. William shyly nods when Mynar orders the drinks, he was always shy around women, especially pretty and exotic human women. Brave as any in the field, terrified of anything to do with the fairer sex. As long as he had been alive, no woman looked at him twice, unless it was with disguset in her eyes. Few saw passed his orc heritage unless it was to praise his prowess in battle. Upon her words to him however, he speaks up, though in a low, cautious voice, Luck in battle is one of the warcries of Kord the mighty. WHo is a he. If I do not hear his voice, I will not fear, for he will still watch over me. With that, he put's his head down and walks to a nearby table. Hoping his new companions didn't think him a coward.

miinstrel
2014-05-10, 12:57 AM
The barwoman comes over and speaks to the lot of you as she hands an ale to the gnome and takes his silver piece. "Alright then, what's it gonna be lads? Food ain't much but it's a good meal. Rooms'll be two silver a head."

wizuriel
2014-05-10, 08:10 AM
Hearing the young women mentioned this land is cursed will pique Ellroh's interest. Cursed you say? That is most interesting. My companion here also informs me of a zombie problem Ellroh will mention as he gestures over and down to Mynar. Upon reaching the table Ellroh will stare at Ellena's shield trying to place where it might be from
[roll0]

Kind of distracted know he will continue I am professor Ellroh from the Miskatonic University of the Elvish federation. I was informed of a tome in this general area...the tome of straid....Strahd? Anyways it is suppose to contain necromantic secrets so a cursed zombie infested land sounds like the right place to start searching. Though I was hoping the tome would have been burred and not be in use. I didn't really sign up for fighting off undead armies, will I didn't really sign up for this at all but that is another story. I don't have much experience with the undead, though one time at the university we had a student secret constructing this flesh construct. He thought because he built it the thing would naturally follow him, but of course it started rampaging around

As Ellroh continues telling his story it will inevitable become more of a lecture on the difference between undead and constructs highlighting the difference between the two.

When the server comes he will order some wine and a hot meal.

Ionbound
2014-05-10, 09:42 AM
Elena's eyes widen with shock at Ellroh's words, draws her sword and swings at the scholar as she says, "I will not let Strahd's words leave this land. He is the source of the curse here, and any who seek his tome are doubtless as evil as him."

Sorry, but there's no IC way that would slide past without an attack.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-05-10, 10:29 AM
The woman at the table suddenly stands, yelling at the Professor, and moves to draw her sword bumping the table and spilling wine across it in the process.

INITIATIVE
Mynar: [roll1]
William: [roll0]
Ellroh: 17
Elena: 4

EDIT: Since all 3 of you are acting before Elena you can go in any order. Tactical speech is limited to 6 words, but RP speech can be up to a couple sentences if you want.

miinstrel
2014-05-10, 10:54 AM
William saw her reach for her weapon and in a terrifyingly effective move he brings his sword down on her shoulder, cutting a deep gouge into it before she even gets it unsheathed.

To summarize, William readies to attack Elena if she makes an attack on anyone:
Attack Roll: 27
Damage: 30, +4 fire

The four men in the inn stand and move quickly to the back of the room staying as out of the way as possible. One of them exclaims "The hell're they doing?!?" as they retreat.

wizuriel
2014-05-10, 11:41 AM
Ellroh will jump back seeing the woman draw her sword, cursing his decision to leave his weapon his bag to appear friendly. He will make sure to keep any tables and chairs between him and the stranger as he draws his weapon from the bag.

This is clearly a misunderstanding! he shoots hoping to bring some calm to this madness.

inspiration spent on defense, also assuming my 20 for knowledge religion would let me identify your deity, also assuming said deity isnot ravenloft exclusive (googled it and it is so there is no way I would know of him/her)

2gig
2014-05-11, 12:02 AM
Mynar could see the disgust in Elena's face before she even reached for her weapon. When her hand hit the hilt of her sword, his bow was already drawn and readied to fire. Whatever good intentions you may have, miss, your corpse won't be following through on them. Now, you can get yourself killed, or you can start talking to me about this curse and tome.

Normally, Mynar would be eager to put some arrows in anyone seeking powerful necromantic artifacts, but he knows nothing of the tome or the motives of those in his presence. He'll be needing more information if he's going to seek out and destroy this wretched text himself.

Ionbound
2014-05-11, 11:49 AM
Elena cries out as William's blade leaves a very deep gash in her shoulder, and then begins to say, "This man-Urk..." as the arrow pierces her chest and floors her.

2gig
2014-05-11, 11:01 PM
I could really use that drink about now. Mynar says toward the barmaiden as he retrieves some rope from his pack.

It's too bad this is the only way we can have a chat... Mynar says as he begins to tie up the assailant. Sounds like she has some valuable information, and 'sides, I think we can take again if she starts acting up. Can either of you bring her to once I'm done with this?

wizuriel
2014-05-11, 11:34 PM
Oh bloody hell! Elroh will curse as the weapon clips his shoulder. He quickly brings his weapon out to defend hinsekf, but blinks in surprise when Williams sword stabs into the assailant and an arrow suddenly protrude from her chest. Seeing the attacker fall under the attack he will breathe a sigh of relief. Well I've had people fall asleep during my lectures, but never have anyone get that excited.

Seeing Mynar approaching Elena with rope Ellroh will quickly look over to the inn keeper and pull out a gold coin and flash it at the innkeeper, We're sorry for any oncovience we might have caused, but hopefully it wouldn't be a bother if we stayed at your inn?

He will then toss over some manacles to Mynar Might I also suggest using these? Also might want to blindfold her to be on the safe side. Oh also if you trip knotting the rope and then twisting it counter clockwise you might get a tighter knot. Though we should strip and disarm her first and make sure she doesn't bleed out. Speaking of... Ellroh will pull out his medical kit and start cleaning his wound

[roll0]

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 10:03 AM
With Elena unconscious, possibly dead, and blood seeping out onto the old, wooden floors, the rest of the room falls deathly silent. The tavern owner strides over once the commotion is done and instantly takes control of the situation with the tone of an angry, disappointed mother. "What in the blue blazes do you think you're doin'? Bargin' into quiet little 'ouses and.. and kidnappin' people a reg'lar thing for you brutes!? Well it ain't the way I run things here an' you can find yerselves another bed! Oh that poor dear... And you start cleanin' yerself up before ya even check to see if she's alive? You oughtta be ashamed of yerselves."

You get Elena bound and Ellroh begins tending to his wound. The tavern owner moves to check on Elena. Any who interfere get a very stern look.

Heal: [roll0]

"We'll thank the gods she ain't dead. I always said 'won't nobody die under my roof if I can help it.' I heard her say you was a priest?" She says, speaking to William as she breaks the arrow and quickly removes it as though she'd done it before. "So do something priestly and breath some life into her! Least you can do."

wizuriel
2014-05-12, 12:51 PM
Ellroh will stare in disbelief at the inn keeper. Anger will darken his face in the injustice of this situation and he won't let a stern look keep from from voicing his mind.

[roll0]

What in the blue blazes do we think we're doing? I think we're defending ourselves from this brute who went to attack me while I was unarmed with no just cause. You better believe that I'm going look after my own wounds before treating a wannabe murderer. Ellroh sneers at the innkeeper.

He will then take a moment to calm himself as he continues treating his injuries before commenting in a calmer voice Judging how unconcerned you seem to be that she will attack you when she gets up I take it she is a regular?

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 01:09 PM
[roll0]

"I seen her a time or two, though I wouldn't call her a regular. It all happened mighty fast. Who drew on who first I don't rightly know, but I find it hard to believe she'd attack three armed men by her lonesome and she was sittin' peaceful like until you lot came in. I may'a been a bit hasty." The last sentence she says quickly and a bit more quietly, obviously not wanting to admit she may have been in the wrong but likely as close to an apology as you'll get.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-13, 08:48 AM
William grabs her weapons off of her, and casts a cure minor wounds on her to stem the bleeding, after she has been thoroughly tied up, and stripped of anything sharp, William will cast a larger heal on her. [roll0] William then says, do not worry me fine innkeep, she'll be fine, and after we have a good nights rest we'll be letting her go. No real harm down, praise be to Kord. After he heals the woman, he says to her, Now, if ye want to keep that tongue, ye'd best be waggin it. Who sent you? And why would ye want to kill someone over a durned book!? I don' care who this Straid guy be, when ye see this master o' yers, tell im that William Snarksbane don' put up much with attackin' inocent travlers As soon as William feels secure in the ropes being tight enough, he grabs his drink to listen to the response. An' no lies now. Lies'll be treated like anotter assalt'.

Ionbound
2014-05-13, 10:30 AM
Elena coughs up a splatter of blood as she wakes up, and says as she struggles with the ropes, "You already know who Strahd is...He is your master..." With that, if she hasn't been stripped of her shield, she'll turn it towards her captors and unleash a blast of holy light.

Yes, I am trying to turn you guys...Hopefully none of you are secretly vampires or summat.

Turning Check: [roll0]
Turning Damage: [roll1]

Centaur Hero
2014-05-13, 02:10 PM
William shakes his head, "She must be crazy" he thinks to himself. Do you always accuse others of working for your master? Now tell us true, why were you sent to attack us? Why does your master fear someone stealing his book? If you tell us, it would go a long ways to repentance. No creature can be so long in the dark, that it can't be brought to the light.

Ionbound
2014-05-13, 02:49 PM
Elena spits at William and says, "My master!? I want him to release his hold on this country! This is my home! I want to free it! And you accuse me of being Strahd's servant, when I attack a man who wants to spread his words!? You're the vampires here, not I!"

wizuriel
2014-05-13, 04:13 PM
Ellroh will approach Elena from behind then thrust some garlic under her nose Smell this? Would vampires carry this around? Seriously you think we look like vampires? Ellroh will put the garlic away and face palm. I don't know much about these lands, but I don't see how murdering travelers will help your cause. Also for the record I don't like when people misquote me! He will then gag her.

Looking at William and Mynar he will gesture towards the door Look she isn't being corporative and I can't tell what that magic she blasted us did. Speaking of.... Ellroh will remove her shield and any other items he can access on her tied up , judging by her hostility and actions I can only assume it might have marked us, called for help or cursed us in some way. While I wanted to sleep with a roof over my head, I think we might be better off looking another place, one without such hostilities.

miinstrel
2014-05-13, 05:10 PM
At the mention of vampires, the locals shrink and you hear the word echoed softly on whispered breath. One of the men begins whispering fervently.

Shine forth thy light
Drive back the darkness
Bring life where there was death
Bring peace where there was strife
Bring mercy where there was none
Bring comfort where there was fear
Let the sun rise!
Let the shadows flee!

Both in the world...
and in the minds of men.

This is a common prayer to Pelor, the god of the sun and light

wizuriel
2014-05-13, 05:39 PM
Listen" [roll0]
K.Religion: [roll1]

Ellroh will join in the prayer and also reget out his garlic and attach it to his necklace.

2gig
2014-05-13, 05:40 PM
Speaking of smells, this girl is clean. I'd know if she had the taint of evil on her. Anyways, Ellroh, since she's not going to be any help, could you tell me what's so important about this Strahd fellow and his book?

Edit: Apparently I can't edit in rolls. :-/

2gig
2014-05-13, 05:47 PM
Listen: [roll0]
K. Religion: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-05-13, 06:12 PM
OOC: Elena, you can know these automatically from your background.

Strahd is of the Zarovich family, a noble line of warriors and lords that ruled this land after conquering it many centuries ago. He yet rules from Castle Ravenloft even as his family has all perished. It's said he is a vampire and feeds solely on the blood of innocents.
Strahd's Tome supposedly details his life and unlife and holds the secrets to his immortality and strange control over the lands of Barovia. It may also contain secrets of the darker arcane arts as well.

Ionbound
2014-05-13, 07:09 PM
Elena glares and says, "It's under my nose, not yours. Anyways, Strahd is the vampire that rules these lands. He's why I'm here...I was from here, a long time ago. And now I want revenge. But you seek Strahd's secrets. If I wasn't bound, I would kill you right now. Those secrets must remain buried, lest those that would seek to emulate him, like yourself, find and use them."

wizuriel
2014-05-13, 07:30 PM
Going to auto fail this as from earlier posts already established I don't know details like who/what Strahd is

Ellroh will gesture William and Mynar to a corner away from prying ears, but will keep an eye on Elena to make sure no one tries to unbind/ungag/unblindfold her. Whispering in a low voice I get he feeling I shouldn't be so open about my mission in front of of her or other locals until I learn more of the climate of this land. I fell out of standing at the Miskatonic University so the other professors sent me on this mission to investigate rumours and a tome of advanced necromantic knowledge. Well truth be told I needed a vacation anyways, you can only try to teach snoot nosed first years so many times before the urge to flip tables at them gets too strong, but anyways truth be told I don't know much about these lands or this Strahd character. Since his tome is suppose to hold necromantic knowledge and he seems to still be alive or undead, my guess is he might be some kind of powerful lich, or vampire or nine hells he could even be a ghost or some other mockery of life. Truth be told that matters little to me, what is important is trying to learn his secrets so the university and Elvish federation can better prepare a defense and counter measures to such knowledge.

miinstrel
2014-05-19, 05:05 PM
William and Mynar join you in the corner.

"Well she was trying to use the power of her god to make us flee as though we were the undead. Perhaps she's not one of this "Strahd's" minions. Still, she doesn't seem that skilled. I nearly cut her in two in one blow," William contributes.

"Still, she probably knows the lay of the land. She might be useful, though we should definitely keep a close eye on her. No telling what she may try down the road," adds Mynar.

The tavern owner tends to Elena, though without messing with her bonds. She seems impressed that the wounds have all healed over from one little spell, though they are still plainly visible. "You alright deary?" She asks, removing the gag from your mouth.

Ionbound
2014-05-19, 06:28 PM
Elena nods, and says quietly and calmly to the woman, "Mostly. Free me, but don't cause a commotion...I think those people are in...His employ, and I intend to keep them from spreading his influence, at all costs."

wizuriel
2014-05-19, 07:26 PM
This land is sounding dangerous, but surely we can find a guide who hasn't tried to kill us? What about any of the Lightbringers you were talking about? Think any of them might still be around to help guide us through, investigate if the tome is here and help William find his missing person?

OOC: I'm assuming at some point we discussed why we're all heading to Barovia.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-19, 11:01 PM
I think that we should convince her to lead us to town as recompense for attacking us, I don't believe she is evil, just crazy.

miinstrel
2014-05-20, 01:20 AM
"Oh, use your head child!" she chides a bit loudly before continuing in a quieter tone. "They're carryin' garlic and they can't even say His name right. They's as confused as you. Heck, they was accusin' you of workin' for him and talkin' 'bout light and penance. That sound like the Lord Zarovich to you?" She sits back on her heels and lets that sink in.

Ionbound
2014-05-20, 09:16 AM
Elena nods, and says, "Mmm...Perhaps I was a bit hasty. But I can't just let them take that tome! What should I do?"

miinstrel
2014-05-20, 11:51 AM
"Well you don't even really know what they want it for now... maybe they want to burn it bad as you. Sounds to me like this might be the chance we've all been waitin' for. Deal with that problem if ya even find the blasted thing."

Ionbound
2014-05-20, 12:03 PM
Elena nods, and says, "You may be right...Perhaps I should follow them, to ensure that if they do find it, they do destroy it rather than misuse it."

wizuriel
2014-05-20, 02:55 PM
I think that we should convince her to lead us to town as recompense for attacking us, I don't believe she is evil, just crazy.

And that is better?

If the innkeeper had a loudish exclimation curious if I can overhear their conversation
[roll0]

Centaur Hero
2014-05-20, 11:20 PM
And that is better?

If the innkeeper had a loudish exclimation curious if I can overhear their conversation
[roll0]

Not really, but it's all we have. I can't execute her, and if we let her go she'll just follow us anyways. I say, we try to make nice with the loon. An' try to get to this town.

William walks over to the seemingly calmed lady. Now, if I untie you, and give you your weapons, will you swear not to attack us unprovoked again? Also, I am going to Barovia to search for a missing man, perhaps you could assist me as recompense for this assault. As far as books go, I don't care what they are about, none are worth dyin over. But if it be a book of evil, concider it destroyed if I come accross it. If these terms are agreeable, then I'll release you.

Ionbound
2014-05-21, 07:56 AM
Elena rolls her eyes at William, and says, "I'm headed to Barovia anyways...I will follow you until you find this book so that I can destroy it. Sound fair?"

wizuriel
2014-05-21, 08:42 AM
No it does not! It is my quest to investigate even if these tome or tomes actually exist. If they do and IF we even manage to acquire them I will be the one to judge what must be done. Plotting this far in advance though is pointless! We don't even know if such tomes even exist much less where to find them or how to acquire them!

He will gesture William and Mynar over. William a word. This land sounds dangerous and I wouldn't mind travelling with an extra fighter, but if you insist on taking her along I think we need to protect ourselves to. I'm not volunteering to be stabbed in the back as I sleep, if she comes with us at night she will be disarmed and re chained and someone is going have to watch her.

Ellroh at the end of his outburst will grimace in pain from the wound he suffered from earlier.

Ionbound
2014-05-21, 08:56 AM
Elena glares daggers at Ellroh, and says, "I'm not a werewolf, you know. As long as you don't try to take the Tome out of this land, then you have nothing to fear from me."

miinstrel
2014-05-21, 11:02 AM
"Maybe if ya just study the book here, Mr. Professor, that'd be agreeable to everyone?" The woman has gone back to her duties and is collecting dishes from the other patrons and heads back into the kitchen.

wizuriel
2014-05-22, 01:12 PM
Nothing to fear? You stabbed me and now dare to make demands on how to be treated? Why should we not just turn you over to the authorities? If we manage to recovery anything I will attempt to study it here, but if it proves to be unsafe or I judge it too dangerous then I will recover the knowledge so any threats like this won't threaten my homeland.

Ionbound
2014-05-22, 01:28 PM
Elena blanches, and then looks Ellroh in the eyes and says, "If you turn me over to Strahd, a fate worse than death awaits me. I will be his, for eternity, and if he decides to kill you, no doubt he'll send me. And I will be unable to give you any quarter, any mercy, or any empathy. However much you may hate me now, I will be a thousand times worse if I am given to him."

Centaur Hero
2014-05-24, 08:33 AM
No body is doing anything to harm anyone else, unless they want me sword to find a new sheath! That goes for EVERYONE! I am sick of arguing, I have forgiven this poor soul her misdeed, and am hopeful of her repentence. If any of you still need to squabble, then it will be done the old fashioned way, bareknuckles for 3, two minute intervals. Would ye two like ter swing at eachother? If not, let's get some rest. We have a bit of a trek ahead of us. William cuts the bonds and undoes the manacles that are on the lady, and gives everyone a hard look, daring anyone to utter a word of argue. He then goes back to his drink, and waits to get sleepy to go to a room for the night.

miinstrel
2014-05-24, 10:48 AM
The argument dies down and Elena is untied hesitantly. When the door swings open again, every head turns to see who has arrived…
This new fellow loudly stamps the mud off his boots in the doorway as he looks around the room feeling the tension. He strides confidently over, throwing a letter down on the table in front of you. “Village of Barovia is needing rescue,” he says in a thick Vistani accent (OOC: think Russian speaking broken English). ”I guess you do as good as any.” Without another word, he turns to leave.

The Vistani are a traveling people that live in the vale. Elsewhere in the world they would be called gypsies.
They frequently setup camp down by the Tser Pool off the river of the same name toward the center of the valley.
They are known for their… discretion. When trade flowed through Barovia, the Vistani assisted travelers with quietly moving "merchandise" from one end to the other.

Ionbound
2014-05-24, 12:05 PM
Elena shakes her head, and mutters, "Damn you..." before standing up and heading out the door.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-24, 12:40 PM
William stares after the funny dressed man as he walks out. Then opens the letter.

miinstrel
2014-05-24, 01:49 PM
The letter is sealed with fresh red wax, a stark contrast to the unusually aged paper. The parchment is deeply yellowed though not yet brittle - it looks and feels like it was written 30 years ago. The text, a sharp, flowing script, reads as follows:

Hail to thee of might and valor:
I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for they who so desperately need assistance within our community.
The legions of Hell itself are at our gates! The dead rise up from their graves and seek to drag us down with them! Not content to slaughter us in our homes, they spread the taint of their horrible curse, so that those they kill join their numbers!
There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.
Come quickly, for our time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich,
Burgomaster of Barovia

Centaur Hero
2014-05-24, 10:58 PM
William stares at the paper in disbelief. The cries out, How far to the Village Barovia?! He then passes the letter to his new companions. We must get there as quickly as may be, they are under attack!

miinstrel
2014-05-25, 01:47 AM
The messenger turns his head slightly as he dons his cloak and pulls up the hood. Words spill out from within. "Village is 10 hours walk. Longer at night."

Centaur Hero
2014-05-25, 08:14 AM
Well then, I am going to bed now, and leaving at first light. I don't expect you three to be coming with me anymore, I understand if you wish to wait. But I fear I must go help these people in their plight.William procedes to go to his room after any conversation is over.

wizuriel
2014-05-25, 08:40 AM
STOP! We've already travelled a day, expended resource from her earlier foolishness and are still wounded. Forced marching blindly to this town and dying won't help anyone. Let us rest the night and prepare ourselves.

You he points to the messenger. You have any maps of the town and surrounding region? Any counts of the undead and their positions or knowledge of anyonethat can fight? Also how old is this written?

Ionbound
2014-05-25, 08:55 AM
Elena turns around, looks Ellroh in the eyes and says, "If my home is under attack, then it doesn't matter how badly I am wounded, or how far away I *cough* I...am. I will defend it...To the last."

wizuriel
2014-05-25, 09:06 AM
If you want to march blindly to your death be my guest. I should point out that your recklessness tonight nearly cost you your life and forced us to waste resources, resources that could have been better spent against the undead!

miinstrel
2014-05-27, 12:44 PM
The messenger looks at the Professor with crooked eyes as if to say "we are people of the land; what need have we for maps?" He replies in broken common, "Barovia northwest of here through Svalich Wood. Letter is from burgomaster," he says with a shrug. "That is all I know. Town has wails and moanings. Travels take me through but I do not live there. Village's troubles not my troubles. They pay me to find them heroes. This I have done." With that he opens the door, letting in a chill breeze, and closes it swiftly behind him. Moments later you hear a horse's hooves trailing off into the distance.

It's been a long night, but you decide it best to come to an understanding with one another. An hour passes, but you gradually feel the tension in your shoulders melt away, at least enough to allow you a good night's rest. It seems this woman, as passionate and brash as she may be, has good intentions and a strong arm. You will travel together to Barovia at first light. The barwoman even offers to get up a little early and make you breakfast so you can get an extra hour in your day.

The morning sun seems to have forgotten its light, muted behind the dull, cloudy sky. You eat your breakfast quickly and continue up the road in the direction of Barovia. Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. A pall of thick, cold mist spreads over the ground. Giant tree trunks stand guard on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mists. In every direction the fog grows thicker and the forest seems more oppressive.

After nearly 8 hours of travel, you come across the first object of your journey besides trees and the occasional forest critter. Gray in the fog, high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road about 60 feet ahead. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to their rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, neatly broken from the stone shoulders.

wizuriel
2014-05-27, 03:38 PM
Oh my isn't this marvelous Ellroh will quietly exclaim upon seeing the gate. He will cautiously head up to the statues keeping an eye open for any signs of danger. This would definitely be a great area for a trap, but you must marvel at the craftsmanship that went into making these statues.

Searching for traps on the statues/gate: [roll0]
knowledge arcane on the chances of a statue so old being animated or magically trapped: [roll1]
knowledge history to lecture about the craftsmanship about the statues/gate: [roll2]

Ionbound
2014-05-27, 03:48 PM
Elena sighs sadly when she sees the state that the gate is in and mutters, "Damn...This place really has fallen apart," as she passes through the gates.

miinstrel
2014-05-27, 04:41 PM
Arcane: Really any statue can be magically animated given enough talent and raw arcane energy regardless of age or condition. The fact that the heads lie on the ground is a pretty good indication that these, at least, are lifeless, though you shudder to think of the damage they could do with their weaponry.

History: A statue is a sculpture representing one or more people or animals (including abstract concepts allegorically represented as people or animals), normally full-length, as opposed to a bust, and at least close to life-size, or larger. A small statue, usually small enough to be picked up, is called a statuette or figurine.
Many statues are built on commission to commemorate a historical event, or the life of an influential person. Many are also intended as public art, exhibited outdoors or in public buildings. Some statues gain fame in their own right, separate from the person or concept they represent.
Dwarves make excellent sculpters as their natural instincts with rock and metal bring out some of the most exquisite works the world has seen.

As you approach cautiously, the rusted bars swing toward you with the grating sound of metal on metal that makes the hairs on the back of your everything stand as stiff as the statues. Before stepping quite close enough for the gates to snap shut, Ellroh examines the structure, but doesn't find anything nefarious about the passage. The way is clear and seems innocuous.

miinstrel
2014-05-27, 07:15 PM
I guess I could have posted this all at once but... I didn't.

You pass through the gate, the petrified bodies remaining motionless, their weapons facing outward. Once everyone is through, the gates screech shut with the same sickening sound, barring the way back.

I'm presuming you would push on for the 2 remaining hours before you get to Barovia. If that's incorrect let me know.

Elena: [roll1]
Ellroh: [roll2]
Thera: [roll3]

DC 12. If you get 11 or less you take [roll4] nonlethal damage and are fatigued (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fascinated).

You trudge onward for another two hours through the dank woods. As you come to the edge of the forest, tall shapes loom in the near distance from the dense fog, and the muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. A dilapidated, wooden sign reads “Welcome to the Village of Barovia.” As you grow closer, the shapes resolve into tenements whose windows are boarded, broken, and lightless. Nothing moves nearby, though the fog limits visibility. Faint sounds, as of something groaning, echo hollowly from somewhere in the settlement.

To the north, above all of this, a dark mountain of earth topped with the pointed towers of an ancient castle dominates the skyline.

Ionbound
2014-05-27, 07:31 PM
Elena looks back and forth across the village, sad but also on guard. The man said her village was under attack...They might still be here.

Prepare Action to cast Scorching Ray at any obvious hostiles.

Centaur Hero
2014-05-27, 10:42 PM
William strides confidently along, Greatsword ready and in hand. Zombies shouldn't have been able to take out an entire village, one good swing from a sword can take them down, and they are clumsy bumbling things. We should be able to turn the tide quickly, and restore order. William takes the lead when they get to town, he would rather take the front then be looking over his shoulder. He keeps his eyes ahead, and looks for and buildings with smoke coming from a chimney.

[roll0]

wizuriel
2014-05-28, 11:10 AM
Careful, neither the letter nor the messenger said they were under attack by zombies, just that the dead were rising and trying to drag the village down with them, if we are fighting zombies though do no underestimate strength in numbers. Individually they might be week, but look at what has happened to this village, he says gesturing to the destruction ahead. If possible I would like to capture one of the attackers aliv....functioning.

Ellroh will close his eyes to better hear the sounds/groans coming from the village.
Listen: [roll0]
Knowledge Religion (try to identify the monsters based off the sound): [roll1].

miinstrel
2014-05-28, 12:09 PM
Scanning the roofline proves to be a fruitless endeavor. It's nigh impossible to distinguish smoke from the cloying mist flowing through the valley.
As you enter the small village, the moaning seems to come from all around. You hear groans toward the center of town and others assaulting your ears in stereo from the northern and southern sides as well. They don't seem to be centralized in any one area. You also note a lack of screams from the living, a good or bad sign depending on your point of view.
The sounds you're hearing are those of zombies as was suspected. Bladed weapons triumph over their soft, bloated bodies.

While the streets are wide enough for you to march four abreast as you enter the city, they are choked with mist, limiting vision to only a few dozen feet. Garbage litters the ground, and a carrion stench assaults your nose. Ahead, an overturned hay cart blocks part of the four way intersection as you approach from the east. The buildings here at the edge of town look abandoned, burned out, or barricaded save one near the intersection whose door is broken in. A small alley on your right leads into the darkness.

I'm operating under the assumption that William and Elena are in front and Ellroh and Thera are in back and you'll be walking 2x2 with these wide streets. If you'd like to do something different please discuss OOC or IC as you please.

Campaign Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yx5WQuRJYyImKMPoF6ZPWQ-4ygNGlJc7WUs7LxakYw8/edit#gid=145734733) is updated.
http://i57.tinypic.com/29vfgpc.jpg

Ionbound
2014-05-28, 12:51 PM
Elena looks up and down the streets, nervously keeping an eye out for the undead as she says, "There might be survivors in the church, to the northwest. Let's go."

Spot check to see zombies in my way: [roll0]

wizuriel
2014-05-28, 12:53 PM
It sounds like zombies, a lot of zombies. I would recommend using a sharp blade as they won't really feel pain for a blunt attack. Don't let them surround you as there is strength in numbers. Zombies aren't too smart unless they have someone controlling them, it might be best to forify some area and try to draw them to us

miinstrel
2014-05-29, 11:29 AM
As you approach the intersection, a figure coalesces out of the fog, a humanoid shape. It draws nearer, releasing a heartbreaking moan echoed by two others from behind the hay cart. Two creatures, each about 4 feet long, are hunkered over something against the wall to the south. They turn their gore-streaked heads to the source of the noise and notice you as well. Their snarling faces look like a cross between an overly large rat and a wolf. Most notable are their enormous jaws and the rabid fury in their glittering eyes.

INITIATIVE
Ellroh: [roll2]
Thera: [roll1]
Elena: [roll3]
Zombies: [roll4]
Carcass Eaters: [roll5]

OOC: You are welcome to act in any order provided you don't skip any bad guy turns. So you can all go now then all the baddies will go. The cart provides cover.

Campaign Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yx5WQuRJYyImKMPoF6ZPWQ-4ygNGlJc7WUs7LxakYw8/edit#gid=1511777619)
http://i60.tinypic.com/34zaagx.jpg

wizuriel
2014-05-29, 05:34 PM
Ellroh will cautiously edge closer to take in the battle before deciding how best to fight.

For now will move to L8
spot check in the building: [roll0]
knowledge check of corpse eaters (assuming nature as they sound like beasts): [roll1]

will finish my action based on what I see/know :D

edit: Peering into the building and seeing it safe he will drop some caltrops in square J8 and retreat back to L8. He will then get a net ready to try and capture a zombie

miinstrel
2014-05-29, 06:43 PM
Splinters of wood lie in the doorway of what was once likely a small provisions store. Rotten fruit lines shelves along the back wall, but you see no movement or life within besides a few buzzing insects.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84742.jpg
These scavengers are voracious eaters often trailing behind larger predators to pick the bones of their kills. When faced with danger they often flee unless frenzied from gorging themselves.
Animal type. High fort saves, moderate reflex, low will
Rend Fallen: Once per round gets an auto-hit bite attack on an adjacent enemy at -1 or less HP.

Ionbound
2014-05-29, 09:10 PM
Elena runs up as quickly as she can in her armor, and levels a finger at the zombie to the north of her and says, "Die, monster," as she unleashes a blast of holy light at it.

Move to K9, and cast Searing Light at the zombie.

Touch Attack: [roll0]

Centaur Hero
2014-05-29, 10:36 PM
William charges the zombie to the north, Screaming a battlecry to Kord, and slashing with his mighty sword at the walking corpse.

Charge and Power attack for 3
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Fire [roll2]

Morbis Meh
2014-05-30, 09:52 AM
Thera moves forward and draws her bow and with one fluid motion fires off a single arrow at the third zombie.

Thera moves to L10, thus activating skirmish
to hit
damage[roll1]
skirmish damage [roll2]
crystal damage [roll[1d6 5 check OoC for actual roll

Total damage= 18

btw these arrows are considered slashing so they bypass the DR

miinstrel
2014-06-01, 12:58 PM
Between the blast of light and William's strike the zombie is nearly obliterated. With what is likely the last act of its unlife, it lashes out at the hulking priest of Kord. Suddenly the doors on the other side of the intersection open and the number of moans double as more of the lifeless things shamble out into the street in search of prey.

Z2&3 move to attack William. William may make an AoO against Z3.
Z4 begins its turn in D7 and moves to attack William.
Z5 begins its turn in E12 and moves toward Elena.
Z6 begins its turn in D12 and moves toward Elena.

Z1 on William: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
crit conf: [roll2]
crit dmg: [roll3]

Z2 on William: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]
crit conf: [roll6]
crit dmg: [roll7]

Z3 on William: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]
crit conf: [roll10]
crit dmg: [roll11]

Z4 on William: [roll12]
damage: [roll13]
crit conf: [roll14]
crit dmg: [roll15]

If any of those hit, please make a Fortitude save, DC 13. Failure means you are sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken) by the zombie rot in your wounds.

The carcass eaters unleash their rabid fury and rush forward to strike the only other living things on the street, scratching with their filthy claws.

C1&2 both move.

C1 on Elena: [roll16]
damage: [roll17]
crit conf: [roll18]
crit dmg: [roll19]

C2 on Thera: [roll20]
damage: [roll21]
crit conf: [roll22]
crit dmg: [roll23]

Unseen by the party as they passed, a skeletally thin corpse slinks out of the alley, a cursed power sizzling in its cadaverous eyes. Arcane energy bounces between its fingertips.

Move: D1 begins its turn in N4 and moves to N8.
Standard: Cast a spell at Ellroh. Make a will save DC 14. Failure means you are paralyzed for 3 rounds.
Hold Person

Ellroh: 22
William: 16
Thera: 14
Elena: 10
Zombies: 7
Deathlock: 7
Carcass Eaters: 2

Campaign Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yx5WQuRJYyImKMPoF6ZPWQ-4ygNGlJc7WUs7LxakYw8/edit#gid=1511777619)
http://i58.tinypic.com/2zny9gh.png

wizuriel
2014-06-01, 01:34 PM
Will save: [roll0]

"We need to get to a defensible position, William fall back I will try and keep this one off us. . This building seems secure"
spellcraft: [roll1]
Rolling to hit/trip the deathless (trip): [roll2]
trip attempt: [roll3]
attack if I tripped him: [roll4]
crit conf: [roll6]
crit damage: [roll7]
see OOC for knowledge religion to identify the deathlock

"We need to get to a defensibl..." and Ellroh will fall over paralyzed

Ionbound
2014-06-01, 01:47 PM
Elena raises her shield, bouncing the rats off of it, and then shouts, "You all...Get. Out. Of. My. TOWN!" as a blinding holy light emits from it, hopefully driving off the undead.

Going to Turn Undead

Turning Check: [roll0] = 8HD Undead is the strongest I can turn

miinstrel
2014-06-01, 04:22 PM
Deathlock's are animate corpses of spellcasters. They possess above average intelligence and several spell-like abilities.
High will, low fort, low ref.

A look of fear washes over the deathlock's gaunt face as its feet are taken out from under it by Ellroh's swipe.

Elena's burst of radiance sends Z4 and Z5 fleeing in terror.

Centaur Hero
2014-06-01, 11:14 PM
attack- [roll0]
Damage [roll1] Fire [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

William rages and uses his daily strength domain smite. Then swings onto the first zombie.

Z1- full power attack.
[roll6]
damage- [roll7] Fire [roll8]

Cleave? z3
[roll9]
damage- [roll10] Fire [roll11]

Cleave? z4
[roll12]
damage- [roll13] Fire [roll14]

Cleave? last one
[roll15]
damage- [roll16] Fire [roll17]

Because I technically go before Elana
[roll18]
damage- [roll19] Fire [roll20]

Cleave? next on original list.
[roll21]
damage- [roll22] Fire [roll23]

Cleave? Next
[roll24]
damage- [roll25] Fire [roll26]

William 5 foot steps to I8 if his attack is a miss. Also, he will yell that these are no ordinary zombies.

Morbis Meh
2014-06-02, 10:12 AM
Thera dodges the beast with minimal effort then speaks a single word causing her to vanish in front of it and rematerialize between the scholar and crazy woman. Noticing the loud orc was nearly surrounded, the huntress quickly fires off two arrows towards the undead harassing him.

Thera: HP (45/45) AC (22/+1 from skirmish)
Swift: Use a charge from her anklet of translocation to move 10 ft to K8 (kicking in skirmish)
Full Action: Rapid Shot @ Z2

Attack One [roll0] point blank kicks in
arrow damage [roll1]
Skirmish Damage [roll2]
crystal damage [roll3]

Attack Two [roll4] point blank kicks in
arrow damage [roll5]
Skirmish Damage [roll6]
crystal damage [roll7]

miinstrel
2014-06-02, 12:51 PM
So you're first AoO on Z3 kills it and triggers your cleave on Z4 (which misses).
Your attack on Z1 misses so no cleave there.
Your AoO in the next round on Z4 hits but doesn't kill it so no cleave.
Your skirmish damage doesn't apply since they're undead, so I'm subtracting that (you still do 30 total). If you have some ability I didn't see that allows it let me know.

EDIT: Skirmish added back in.

As the zombies swarm him, William takes the head off one and nearly slices the torso of the one shying away from the priestess in half with a roaring swing of his massive blade . Thera's plunks two razor sharp arrows into another's skull dropping it to the ground.

While the two zombies flee down the street, the others press on ignoring their fatal wounds with the singular focus of primitive instincts. The rat-like creatures tear and bite at Elena's legs and torso with rabid hunger. The deathlock, seemingly the only sane monster present, attempts to flee for its unlife.

Z4 & Z5 flee up and down the street respectively.

Z1 will 5 foot step to H7.
Attack on William: [roll0], damage: [roll1], crit conf: [roll2]

Z2 will 5 foot step to H8.
Attack on William: [roll3], damage: [roll4], crit conf: [roll5] (ignore this attack, Thera killed it)

Z6 will move to I10 then J9.
Attack on Thera: [roll6], damage: [roll7], crit conf: [roll8]

Any hits need Fort save DC 13 or sickened.
No movement.

C1 claw on Elena: [roll9], damage: [roll10], crit conf: [roll11]
C1 claw on Elena: [roll12], damage: [roll13], crit conf: [roll14]
C1 bite on Elena: [roll15], damage: [roll16], crit conf: [roll17]

C2 claw on Elena: [roll18], damage: [roll19], crit conf: [roll20]
C2 claw on Elena: [roll21], damage: [roll22], crit conf: [roll23]
C2 bite on Elena: [roll24], damage: [roll25], crit conf: [roll26]
Move: stand up (provokes AoO from Ellroh).
Standard: Move to T8.

22 Ellroh <<
16 William <<
14 Thera <<
10 Elena <<
07 Zombies
07 Deathlock
02 Carcass Eaters

http://i59.tinypic.com/28sanet.png

wizuriel
2014-06-02, 01:46 PM
Seeing the creature attempt to get up, Ellroh swings his Guisarme to keep it down.

Roll / trip (using an inspiration point): [roll0]
trip attempt: [roll1]

Ionbound
2014-06-02, 02:03 PM
Elena winces as the rats claw at her leg, but simply glares at them and slashes at one of them.

Sadly, I lack AoE...Attack C1.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll]1d20+7[/roll[

Crit Damage: [roll2]

Morbis Meh
2014-06-02, 02:14 PM
Thera growls as the blows strikes her and promptly blinks away again from the threat before returning fire on the same foe that dared strike her.

Thera: Hp (37/45) AC (22)
Swift: Anklet of Translocation
Full Round: Rapid Shot @ Z6

Attack one [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3]

Attack two [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Skirmish [roll6]
crystal [roll7]

Centaur Hero
2014-06-02, 03:32 PM
William swings his sword into his zombie foe, and throws everything he has into it.

Z1 full power attack
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Fire [roll2]

Cleave?
[roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Fire [roll5]

HP-15/40 AC-17 +4 strength +4constitution.

[roll6]

wizuriel
2014-06-02, 08:55 PM
Ellroh watches the Deathlock get up and tries to retreat. tsk tsk tsk he mocks the creature You and I are going have a conversation after this, as the creature just starts to flee he brings his Guisarme around in a wide arc to bring the creature down again.

Ellroh then looks to survey the battlefield. William he knows is pretty hurt from the zombies, but he sees them now either fleeing in terror or being cut down. Thera seems to have her monsters covered and Elena didn't look to be in much danger. The party needs more knowledge he thought and this creature is probably our best bet to get some answers.

Ellroh will careful lay his Guisarme down against the building and reach into the handy haversack to pull out a net.
Use Rope: he will tie one end to himself to control the movement of the deathlock (inspiration point): [roll0]
ranged touch attack to capture the deathlock (inspiration point) [roll1]
He will then regrab his weapon.

miinstrel
2014-06-03, 12:20 PM
You didn't mention where you wanted to poof to, so I made what seemed a reasonable decision. If you want to be somewhere else just let me know. The battle's almost over.

Elena brings her sword down on the vermin leaving it twitching in its death throes. Thera, popping around the corner, drops another of the undead to the muddy cobblestone. William finishes his original target and turns to kill the one behind him only to find it already falling to the ground.

Ellroh expertly brings the deathlock back to the ground and quickly snags it in his net. It struggles to free itself for a few moments before turning its burning eyes to Ellroh.
C2 claw on Elena: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]
C2 claw on Elena: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]
C2 bite on Elena: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]
Standard: Cast SLA, concentration DC 15 [roll9]. Ellroh make a will save DC 14. Failure = paralyzed 3 rounds.
Hold Person
Move: Stand up

22 Ellroh <<
16 William <<
14 Thera <<
10 Elena <<
07 Zombies
07 Deathlock
02 Carcass Eaters

http://i60.tinypic.com/b49uon.png

wizuriel
2014-06-03, 01:18 PM
Ellroh will shake his head seeing the creature still trying to fight. He will will lash out with his weapon to try and stop the creature's spell.

AoO to hit: [roll0]
crit conf: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Ellroh will try to bind/blindfold the deathlock
OOC: Not sure what would be required for this in combat

will save (last inspiration point for this combat): [roll4]
Ellroh will try to bind/blindfold the deathlock
OOC: Not sure what would be required for this in combat

Ellroh's eye widen in surprise as he is paralyzed

miinstrel
2014-06-03, 01:31 PM
Ellroh succeeds in stopping the spell from being cast, but as the deathlock struggles, he puts his guisarme through the monster's right side. Its body slumps in the net, the animating magic drained.

Ionbound
2014-06-03, 02:15 PM
Elena looks at the remaining rat-like thing with an expression somewhere between revulsion and pity as she slashes at it, hoping to finish it off.

Attack C2
Attack: [roll0]

miinstrel
2014-06-03, 02:51 PM
As Elena ends the life of the final aggressor you find yourselves standing amid several bodies. Blood is slowly creeping through the cracks in the cobblestone toward you as though still animated and carrying on even without its body.

The previously mentioned church lies to the northwest. You could travel north from here to skirt around the edge of the village or west and go through the town square.

450 xp each.
Well done! William took quite a hit, but overall that was handled well. Welcome to Barovia.

Morbis Meh
2014-06-03, 05:29 PM
Thera spits on the last corpse she took down before holding her belt and speaking a word softly causing it to shimmer for a moment. She felt instant relief from the wound she sustained earlier then sets off to establish a basic perimeter of the immediate area, it wouldn't be a good idea to allow more of this filth to catch them unaware.

Using a single charge of the healing belt [roll0] to top up HP

Spot check [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Wow she has horrible luck with skill rolls :smalltongue:

Centaur Hero
2014-06-03, 10:27 PM
When William stops raging, his fatigue and injuries catch up to him. I need a minute to bandage myself up a little bit. He says with a grunt.

William sacrifices his windwall to a cure spell. [roll0]

wizuriel
2014-06-04, 08:26 AM
Ellroh curses seeing the magic fade from the deathless.Damn he mutters, a functioning creature would be worth a lot more than a body.

Turning back to his companions Clearly the rumours of an advanced form of necromancy in this land has not been exaggerated. I would like some time to study these bodies, see if we can learn any new strengths or weaknesses from them, but I fear this might not be the best location or position to do so. This building though looks secure so I do suggest we catch our breath here for a bit and secure it. He will gather his caltrops and net as he continues Judging by the strength of these undead I don't imagine there would be that many survivors left. Going by history though I imagine more people would have retreated into town then try to flee, though the outskirts would probably be safer. I also imagine the church is going be the safest place people would have retreated to, OR the cause of this mess

history roll (with inspiration): [roll0]

Ionbound
2014-06-04, 08:32 AM
Elena takes a deep breath, says, "That went fairly well, I think. Is everyone okay?" and then starts heading west towards the town square. At Ellroh's words, she stops, looks at him and says, "Drag the body if you like then. But we can't wait while my people are cowering in the church, praying for safety."

Morbis Meh
2014-06-04, 09:08 AM
Satisfied with her initial findings, Thera addresses the others "The sheman speaks true, we do not have such luxuries at this moment, it would be best that we finish the hunt then check for survivors. I doubt these abominations will kindly remain idle while you do your examinations so they will have to wait. As for the church being the safest place I would prefer clearing the town first then consulting with a survivor before making such assumptions."

wizuriel
2014-06-04, 12:25 PM
In that case we should try and find the Burgomaster. I also suggest instead of outright fighting these creatures we might have more luck ambushing them. Let us prepare a battlefield and bring them to us instead of the other way.

miinstrel
2014-06-04, 02:04 PM
The street continues its silent watch leaving nothing but mist in the streets besides yourselves. A single moan emanates from somewhere to the southwest echoed a few seconds later by one deeper into the village to the west. The northern road doesn't join in the revelry at this time.

There aren't too many attacks here for fear of repercussions from the malevolent lord on the mountain. This is, however, a dangerous area, and fleeing the town would likely be as dangerous as staying in their homes. Any survivors would certainly gather at one of the larger hubs (tavern, burgomaster's, or the church).

wizuriel
2014-06-05, 08:47 AM
While the party is bandaging wounds and healing Ellroh will investigate the broken cart to see what is there.

Gah I would kill for a map he swears while searching the wreckage.

When the party is ready he will try to follow any signs he can see in looking for the burgomaster. Hopefully the burgomaster is still alive.

Spot check for signs / danger: [roll0]
listen check for danger: [roll1]

Morbis Meh
2014-06-05, 09:07 AM
Thera listens to the moan silently before picking up her bow and walking towards the sound she looks back briefly "I am assuming that those noises mean there are more towards the south western part of town so I shall go if anyone feels inclined to follow so be it but I will not force anyone.

She will head towards the first moan in the south west but she will attempt to do so stealthily and stay close to the buildings for cover

hide [roll0]
move silently [roll]1d20+15 (rolled OoC for 26)

Centaur Hero
2014-06-05, 09:34 AM
William follows along after healing himself a bit. Quickly resuming his vanguard position, though, keeping far enough back to let the scout do her job. He has his wand at the ready in his left hand, hilt of sword in the other, ready to enlarge himself in a moments notice.

Ionbound
2014-06-05, 02:21 PM
Elena nods silently as she follows behind William, preparing for enemy action.

Prepare action to Charge the closest undead, should one appear.

miinstrel
2014-06-05, 05:00 PM
The axle on the left side of the cart is broken as though the wheel struck an object and shattered, bits of torn flesh hanging from the spokes. Hay is strewn and matted in the mud around the ruined vehicle. It is empty save for a small sack of coins (65g) that was likely hidden when the cart was upright and full. Droplets of blood stain the wood of the driver's seat, travel down the cart, and disappear into the ground. The trail seems to lead west though following it is nearly impossible.

The four of you carry on to the west making your way ever closer to the hollow cries of the dead. Thera moves ahead of the party, just far enough that she can still see them clearly (40 feet ahead). The ever-present mist seems to swallow any sound her soft steps might otherwise make rendering her virtually invisible as she creep through the growing shadows. Ahead the fog clears slightly, revealing a human body lying face down on the far side of a T intersection amid the garbage. One of the buildings on the south side of the street has its door smashed in.

Keeping your senses searching for any significant noises, your ears pick up something faint and high-pitched, possibly a shriek. It seems to be coming from one of the buildings ahead to your right.

Thera please make spot & listen checks in your next post.

http://i57.tinypic.com/ngod5k.png
So you can visualize everything. The black triangle is the body.

http://i59.tinypic.com/207mdlw.png

wizuriel
2014-06-06, 01:04 PM
Ellroh will signal to the party to stop.

I hear something, a faint shrieking sound coming from that building he says and gestures to the one on the right[/color]. I can quite make out what it is though.

The latter mentioned the dead were joiing the undead in attacking, does anyone else find it suspicious seeing a motionless dead body ahead? I suggest securing a position around here and burning it from a distance.

Ionbound
2014-06-06, 01:07 PM
Elena sighs and says, "Oh, I'll go look at it. If it gets up and attacks me, it shouldn't be too difficult to kill. It's just one corpse, right?"

Famous last words, I know...But there's not much of a better option. Approach the corpse, preparing an action to attack it if is revealed to be undead, charging if necessary.

Morbis Meh
2014-06-06, 01:55 PM
Thera holds a hand up signaling the foolish girl to stop what she was doing, to reinforce her intention she glares at the woman and holds a finger to her lips to signal Elena to be silent as well. Once satisfied Thera slips into the mist and stays hidden while conducting recon.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]

miinstrel
2014-06-06, 02:37 PM
Thera, you definitely also hear the shriek. It's coming from the doorway at O9. While muffled, you discern a strange, tinny quality but can't place it in your mind. From the high pitch, it's either a child or not human.

The scout moves quietly ahead pausing as she approaches the intersection and sees a zombie lurking around the corner. Fortunately it doesn't notice her as she darts along the southern wall. Peering into the broken doorway she sees another shambling corpse wandering within. Timing your move for when the zombie's back is to you, you hop across the doorway and duck into the corner to observe the body.

The man's body bears numerous claw and teeth marks, and his shirt is torn open revealing a small purple amulet on a silver chain dangling from his ruptured neck. From this close you can tell his body is either bloated or there's something beneath his torso propping him up.

Thera, I put you in the corner so you'd still be able to hide from the zombie in the street (not much cover out there in the open). Let me know if you want to change that. Everyone else, let me know if you want to move closer and to which square.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2cr4zmf.png

wizuriel
2014-06-09, 08:25 AM
While waiting for Thera to return, Ellroh is going to carefully peer into the buildings at V8 and and S13. I will have the caltrops ready to drop in a doorway if it looks like a hostile creature spots me

V8
move silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
spot: [roll2]
listen: [roll3]

S13
move silently: [roll4]
Hide: [roll5]
spot: [roll6]
listen: [roll7]

Morbis Meh
2014-06-09, 10:10 AM
Thera regards the situation with distaste but quietly returns to the party to relays her findings.

MS [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-06-09, 12:41 PM
The first door is unlocked, but something quite heavy is blocking it from the other side. It only opens about half of an inch, not even enough for you to see inside. Giving it a slight push, the barricade doesn't budge.

The second door opens easily. Inside you see a residential dwelling vacant of any occupants. There are 3 beds around the room, simple shelves, and a table with four chairs.
You sneak back to your friends silently. Just as you are nearing the edge of the intersection, the zombie in the street turns your direction. Your heart races for a moment, but it seems you made it past undetected.

The four of you are together once again on the eastern side of the intersection. No hostiles are visible.

Centaur Hero
2014-06-10, 07:07 AM
William looks around cautiously, then says Perhaps we should keep moving, it will get dark soon enough, and I for one would like to find a spot to rest, perhaps the inn is boarded up, and has withstood the attack.

Ionbound
2014-06-10, 08:38 AM
Elena nods, and says, "But we need to check the church first...We've already left these people for one night...I don't want to leave them for another."

Morbis Meh
2014-06-10, 09:34 AM
Thera regards the other woman cooly "You make the assumption they are at the church... that is fool hardy. Yes it may be big enough to hold the community but it lacks provisions and considering most churches have a cemetery around them it may be much more dangerous to boot. If I had to guess I would check the inn first or any other large building before the church."

wizuriel
2014-06-10, 09:34 AM
We don't even know if there is anyone in the church, or even if anyone aside from us is still alive in this town. We need to find survivors and get a more accurate assessment. The burgomaster is the one who called for help and we know he at least managed to survive to do that. I suggest looking for him.

Though someone blocked the door in the house over there. I didn't see or hear any signs of life from inside, but if the door was blocked there might be a survivor. Though forcing the door open to check will likely draw the attention of the zombies outside. I suggest the first thing we do is lure the zombies into that other empty building and quietly dispose of them. William and Elena you two should hide by the door and Thera and I can lure them inside.

Ionbound
2014-06-10, 10:38 AM
Elena glares at Ellroh and says, "I've lived here most of my life...Trust me, if there are survivors, they would be in the church. And I am not going to let them wait in fear for another night."

wizuriel
2014-06-10, 12:07 PM
Elena glares at Ellroh and says, "I've lived here most of my life...Trust me, if there are survivors, they would be in the church. And I am not going to let them wait in fear for another night."

Ellroh will quietly sigh. We can argue about this after we clear the zombies within a stone throw away from us. Just get inside and get ready to drop them when they follow us in.

He will start rummaging though his pack looking for some oil, a lighter and cloth. Thera think you can hit that body from here with a flaming arrow?

Morbis Meh
2014-06-10, 12:57 PM
Thera shakes her head " Are all Human females so foolish? If that is what you with then go to your church but you will do so alone. The rest of us have decided otherwise and we do not control us nor we you. Safe travels stubborn girl, may you be right. "

The shifter turns her head and addresses the scholar "Of course but doing so would give our position away without any benefit.

wizuriel
2014-06-10, 02:07 PM
Of course but doing so would give our position away without any benefit.

Don't underestimate the benefit of choosing the location of a fight. These zombies appear to be tough, but still mindless. Pulling them towards us to a chokehold in that building should make them easier to deal with than risking them surrounding us again. A little rope in the doorway should trip up a few of them.

We deal with the few in front of us and by the time the fire draws anymore to us hopefully he won't be in the neighborhood.

wizuriel
2014-06-13, 03:08 PM
As Ellroh tries to lecture about the importance on picking and preparing your battlefield he sees an all to familiar glaze in his companions eyes. Sighing he says Lecturing battle tactics surrounded by hostiles is probably a bad idea, when this is over though we really need to discuss strategy.

He will than walk over to squares Q9 and Q12 and drop some caltrops. Standing at R10 he will pull out his crossbow, use oil and some cloth to ignite the head and shoot at the corpse in the middle of the road.

hit: [roll0]
crit confirm: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

miinstrel
2014-06-16, 12:04 PM
Your flaming bolt strikes true. It sinks into the bloated flesh with a *thunk* and burns there for a moment before the clothes catch and the whole body begins to ignite. It does not, however, rise up as the other bodies in this town have done. As the flames spread, two wriggling shapes emerge from beneath the corpse: 4 foot long, white, segmented worms. They have no eyes, and their mandibles drip with saliva. These maggots seem to have grown entirely too large. You thank the gods that whatever birthed them isn't also on the street.

Fire damage to maggots: [roll0]

The noise and movement draws the attention of the two zombies who move lazily into the street before noticing you and releasing the telltale moan that signifies food is near.

Ellroh: [roll1] <<
Elena: [roll4] <<
Maggots: [roll5]
Thera: [roll2]
William: [roll3]
Zombies: [roll6]

The two black triangles near you guys are the caltrop squares.

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zxl4pd.png

wizuriel
2014-06-16, 01:11 PM
We need to stop those zombies before their moans call more.

Ellroh will drop the crossbow and get out his Guisarme.

OOC: Will hold my action till after the zombies

Ionbound
2014-06-16, 03:37 PM
Elena nods and says, "Right," as she runs at one of the zombies, bringing her longsword around in an arc aimed to cross it's rotten neck.

Charge to square K11. Attack zombie Z2 at square J11

[roll0]
[roll1]

miinstrel
2014-06-16, 04:12 PM
Elena rushes forward, but just as she is about to bring her blade down, the zombie lunges forward throwing off her aim and landing her swing in its shoulder instead of across its neck.

The maggots, upset at the beings who dared interrupt their meal, slither forward toward Elena and bite at her with their dripping mandibles.
M1
Move: Move to K10. Elena may take an AoO.
Standard: Bite Elena. [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

M2
Move: Move to J10.
Standard: Bite Elena: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Each hit needs a Fort save, DC 14. Success means no effect.
Paralyzed. You may make another saving throw at the beginning of each of your turns to shrug it off.

Ellroh: 21 (holding until after zombies)
Elena: 17
Maggots: 16
Thera: 15 <<
William: 13 <<
Zombies: 6

http://i62.tinypic.com/2a8p5bb.png

Morbis Meh
2014-06-17, 09:58 AM
Thera deftly moves closer to her quarry then gracefully draws an arrow before loosing it at the undead abomination in front of her.

Thera: HP(45/45) AC(22)
Move to Q9 and attack Z1, skirmish activated
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]
Skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3] just in case you didn't know the arrows count for both piercing and slashing...

miinstrel
2014-06-18, 10:28 AM
Thera's arrow flies swiftly through the air and settles in the torso of the nearest zombie. It continues to focus its attention on Elena, swarming her with the others. Two other zombies open doors and stagger out into the street as well, one farther down the block and one just across from Thera. It moves toward her and attempts to take a bite out of her arm as she draws her next arrow.

Z1
Move: 5 foot to L10
Standard: Attack Elena: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Z2
Standard: Attack Elena: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Z3
Move: Starts in E7, moves to H9

Z4
Move: Starts in P13, moves to O10. Ellroh may take an AoO as it's passing through his threatened square P11.
Standard: Attack Thera: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8] (prevented by Ellroh's trip)

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = sickened.

Centaur hasn't posted for a week, so I'm commandeering William for now. Since he couldn't get in range, he also held his turn until after the Zombies.

Move: Move to N11. He can get there without provoking an AoO.
Standard: SMASH! power attack for 4: [roll9], damage [roll10] + fire [roll11]

William thought he saw the zombie Thera shot moving toward him which distracted him enough to just barely miss his target.

Thera: 15
William: 5
Ellroh: 5 <<

http://i58.tinypic.com/2eatesn.png

wizuriel
2014-06-18, 11:57 AM
Seeing the zombie heading for Thera Ellroh will try to trip it.

Rolling to hit/trip the zombie: [roll0]
attack if I tripped him: [roll2]

Following the attack Ellroh will move behind William at square N12.

If I failed to trip the zombie attacking Thera I will try again, if not will attack Z1

Rolling to hit/trip the zombie: [roll4]
trip attempt: [roll5]
attack if I tripped him: [roll6]
damage: [roll7]

miinstrel
2014-06-18, 12:25 PM
And trip it you do. The zombie goes tumbling to the ground followed up by two quick strikes from your guisarme.
OOC: Ignore the attack on Thera from my previous post.

As your attention is turned to the fight at hand you suddenly hear a loud shrieking sound coming quickly toward you from the roof of the building near Thera. A hideous, distorted head suspended from leathery wings swoops down emitting a piercing shriek from its gaping jaw. The head has tendrils emerging from its skull instead of hair, and green flame burns in its menacing eyes.
OOC: Knowledge Planes to know more.

Move: Fly to M10, 15 feet in the air.
Standard: Shriek. I need Fortitude saves, DC 12, from each of you. Failure = paralyzed (fear effect).

M1 save: [roll0]
M2 save: [roll1]

Elena: 17 <<
Ellroh: 5
Flyer: 3

http://i60.tinypic.com/znpwz7.png

Ionbound
2014-06-18, 12:49 PM
Elena lets the attacks bounce off of her armor as she looks at the flying thing, but it's shriek makes her freeze with fear, her eyes widening with dread.

Fort Save: [roll0]

Cast Searing Light at the Flier if able:
[roll1]
[roll2] Take half if it isn't undead.

miinstrel
2014-06-18, 12:59 PM
You are paralyzed until either the flying thing attacks you, dies, or moves out of sight. Will probably only be a round or 2.

The maggots take note of the strange flying creature and continue on their voracious rampage. With Elena quite frozen they advance to the next moving meal.
Each moves toward William.
M1 attack: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]
M2 attack: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Hit=Fort save DC 14. Failure = paralyzed. You may make another save at the beginning of each of your turns (so make sure you roll 2 saves in your post Centaur).

http://i62.tinypic.com/dwv0ah.png

wizuriel
2014-06-18, 01:06 PM
fort save: [roll0]

Knowledge planes: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-06-18, 02:38 PM
This is a Vargouille, an evil creature from the lower planes that stalks graveyards and other places of death and decay. They reproduce by slowly morphing other living creatures into other Vargouilles.

OOC: Thera, you're still up btw since you're not paralyzed.

Morbis Meh
2014-06-19, 09:17 AM
Thera grimaces at the sudden influx of enemies and moves back to put some space between her and them. Taking note of the animated corpse, she attempts to summersault past it before loosing another arrow at her previous target.

Move 20 ft to R 11 using tumble to avoid AoO [roll0] DC 15
To hit (Z1) [roll1]
damage [roll2]
skirmish [roll3]
crystal [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-19, 12:33 PM
Coming out of her tumble ready to fire, Thera drops her target to the ground leaving a single zombie at the exposed Elena. Those still standing continue on their destructive mission, but the two nearest Elena are unable to penetrate her armor, flailing helplessly against the steel.
Elena remember your AC is 6 lower than normal because your DEX is effectively 0 while paralyzed. Fortunately they miss you anyway :P

Z2 attack on Elena: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Z3 moves to J10.
Z3 on Elena: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Z4 move: stands (and provokes an AoO from Ellroh)
Z4 standard: 5 foot step to Q11

William begins hacking his way toward Elena through the soft bodies of the bugs before him.
Fort save vs vargouille [roll6], second save at start of William's turn in case first fails [roll7]

Standard: Power attack for 2 on M1: [roll8], damage [roll9], crit conf [roll10]
cleave if it dies on M2: [roll11], damage [roll12], crit conf [roll13]

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zt9dkx.png

wizuriel
2014-06-19, 03:47 PM
Ellroh will try to trip the zombie attacking Thera trying to keep it off her.

Rolling to hit: [roll0]
attack if I tripped him: [roll2]

Seeing Elena freeze up paralyzed Ellroh will curse at the situation. This wouldn't have happened if only people listened to him and we bottlenecked the creatures in one of the houses!

Ellroh will gather the net and rope from his bag and try to stop the Vargouille

Use Rope: he will tie one end to himself to control the movement of the Vargouille: [roll4]
ranged touch attack to capture the Vargouille(inspiration point) [roll5]

Finally he will reequip his weapon.

wizuriel
2014-06-20, 01:22 PM
Praying that this would distract the Vargouille Ellroh will move m10 to confront it.

to hit: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] (in ooc)

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 01:34 PM
Ellroh, seeing the terror the flying creature inspired in his companions rushes forward swinging his blade into the air and connecting directly with the skull of the abomination sending it toppling down onto the maggot (maggot takes [roll0]). Elena, the threat vanquished, regains control of her senses.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2vxn0xy.png

Ionbound
2014-06-20, 02:20 PM
Elena grins at the flying monster falls and says, "Ah-ha! Back, zombies!" as she brandishes her shield and unleashes as holy blast on zombies before her.

Turning Check: [roll0]

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 02:44 PM
The zombies cringe as your shield glows brightly. The two nearest ones turn and flee to the west.
The maggots, however, show no fear of the light and sink their mandibles into Ellroh and William.

M1 on Ellroh: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]
M2 on William: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Hit = Fort save DC 14. Failure = paralyzed. You may make another save at the beginning of each of your turns to shrug it off.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2vxn0xy.png

Morbis Meh
2014-06-20, 03:25 PM
Thera tumbles backwards and lets loose a single arrow at the zombie directly in front of her.

Thera: HP(45/45) AC (22)
Move: Tumble to T11 DC15 [roll0]
To hit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Skirmish [roll3]
crystal [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 04:31 PM
Your arrow strikes true sending its neck snapping back with a crack as it drops to its knees before falling to the ground. The remaining two turn and run before Elena's holy might.

William continues wailing on the only foes remaining: the segmented worms before him.
Attack M1: [roll0], damage [roll1]+[roll2], crit conf [roll3]
Potential cleave on M2: [roll4], damage [roll5]+[roll6], crit conf [roll7]

The first of the maggots is split in two by his enormous sword and he carries the swing into the second splitting its side as well.
M1 is dead. M2 is bloodied.

http://i58.tinypic.com/30kbqtu.png

wizuriel
2014-06-20, 10:23 PM
Ellroh will 5ft step and kill the loan maggot

knowledge devotion (assuming nature): [roll0]
to hit: [roll1] (+4 to hit)
damage: [roll2] (+4 damage)

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 11:56 PM
Kill it you do. You plant your blade solidly into it's soft, supple body. The street is clear save the two zombies fleeing down the street.

Nature was correct! and that last 4 damage is what killed it.

Do you plan to chase the zombies down or let them run off?

wizuriel
2014-06-22, 12:59 PM
Ellroh will go and collect his caltrops.

Morbis Meh
2014-06-23, 09:54 AM
Thera has no intention of allowing any of the abominations to escape, she pursues them while firing away.

She will try to keep up and fire for as long as they are within range so let me know how many shots she can take...

Ionbound
2014-06-23, 09:57 AM
Seeing Thera fire, Elena charges the brutes, trying to catch up with them and take them down.

Charge to attack the nearest Z, if possible.

[roll0]
[roll1]

wizuriel
2014-06-23, 10:31 AM
Ellroh sighs seeing his compaions chasing the zombies and just hopes this doesn't attract more attention.

He will sprint to try and catch up, but also keep an eye on the surronding area.

spot check: [roll0]
listen check: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-06-23, 11:15 AM
Looking up from your fresh kills you see the two zombies staggering away. Several arrows and a few slashes of blades later and two more of the ravenous beasts plaguing this village have fallen.

The four of you now stand about 50 feet past the intersection, two zombies dead at your feet.

675 for each of you!

http://i60.tinypic.com/34q8c35.png

Ionbound
2014-06-23, 11:37 AM
Elena takes a deep breath and says, "Well, that went well, I think. Except for that...Thing. I don't think there's anything left. To the church, then?"

Morbis Meh
2014-06-23, 01:21 PM
Thera raises her eyebrow "Like I mentioned before, if you wish to head to the church that is your decision, the rest of us feel that is not the place people will go to. I am heading towards the inn then possibly to the house where the town leader resides, like the scholar said, the letter was from him so it seems logical he would write it from his abode."

wizuriel
2014-06-24, 10:51 AM
Why must we argue in the middle of the road in a zombie infested town. We need information and the inn seems closer, so lets get there hopefully in one piece

Ionbound
2014-06-24, 11:37 AM
Elena nods and says, "Alright...But please...Let us visit anywhere there might be survivors, at some point today...These people need help...And it's my responsibility, even if nobody else's, to protect them."

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 11:51 AM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs13/i/2007/082/c/5/The_Village_Fountain_by_jermilex.jpg

You wipe the gore from your blades and trudge on through the thickening shroud. Droplets of mist form on your clothing and run down to drip to the street below like so many tears.

Before you see anything you hear it: the grunt of exertion, the explosion of magical energy, and the ting of a blade against stone. Ahead is a clearing, the street opening up into a small promenade. Boxes, carts, and tables have been piled up at the eastern entrance into a barricade. At least it was a barricade. The components have collapsed inward allowing free access to the square. As you close in, you see zombies swarming the square. Two figures, a woman in half-plate and a lightly-armored man flinging spells, stand near the well in the center valiantly fighting the zombies but heavily outnumbered.

Ellroh: [roll3] <<
Elena: [roll2] <<
Zombies: [roll6]
Ashlyn: [roll5]
Thera: [roll4]
Adriel: [roll1]

Zombies don't get AoO's until their turn, so Elena and Ellroh can move past zombies freely.

http://i61.tinypic.com/b4au7r.png

Ionbound
2014-06-24, 12:29 PM
As soon as she sees the zombies threatening the two people, Elena raises her blade and charges, shouting, "DIE MONSTERS!" as she brings it around, trying to bisect the zombie in front of the man.

Charge Z in front of Ad.

Attack roll:[roll0]

wizuriel
2014-06-24, 06:29 PM
Ellroh sighs seeing Elena rush into combat.

He will carefull move to U10 and try to trip the zombie at S11 to keep it off Elena's back.

knowledge religion on new zombie type: [roll0]
OOC: +3 to hit/damage undead
hit: [roll1]
trip attempt: [roll2]
hit: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 07:10 PM
Just checking math. How is your trip mod +12? It's just a STR check not a grapple check, so it should be +7 for you (I think you're counting your BAB). I'm going to operate on the assumption that trip check is supposed to be 5 lower than listed (23).
The zombies shift their weight and begin to slouch toward Elena as she deftly rushes by dodging their deadly affection. She strikes her target in the back bringing her blade across its leather jerkin. As the others close in behind her, Ellroh steps up drawing some of their attention and taking one of them to the ground with a fluid sweep of his weapon.
Trip: [roll0]

The horde saunters forth, turning from its assault on barred doors to the warm flesh of the living. Claws and teeth surround you at every turn hoping for a taste. One of the newly risen corpses, far dirtier than most, moves with uncanny speed toward its prey. It raises its fists, slamming them down on the armored woman's shoulders sending her plummeting into the earth. She disappears beneath the surface, entombed by the vicious attack.
This is an entomber, a terrifying specimen. They possess a supernatural ability to send their targets into shallow graves beneath the earth.
They can also exhume freshly deceased corpses from their graves as zombies.

Move: charge Ashlyn
Attack: [roll1], damage [roll2], crit conf [roll3]

Hit = Reflex save DC 16. Failure = entombed beneath the surface in a shallow grave.
Z1
Move to M9
Attack Ashlyn: [roll4], damage [roll5], crit conf [roll6]

Z2
Move to N9
Attack Ashlyn: [roll7], damage [roll8], crit conf [roll9]

Z3
Move to O9
Attack Ashlyn: [roll10], damage [roll11], crit conf [roll12] (removed, DM error)

Z4
Move to O12
Attack Adriel: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15]

Z5
Attack Ashlyn: [roll16], damage [roll17], crit conf [roll18]

Z6
Attack Adriel: [roll19], damage [roll20], crit conf [roll21]

Z7
Move to O13
Attack Elena: [roll22], damage [roll23], crit conf [roll24]

Z8
Move to P13
Attack Elena: [roll25], damage [roll26], crit conf [roll27]

Z9
Move to Q12
Attack Elena: [roll28], damage [roll29], crit conf [roll30]

Z10
Move: stand up (provokes AoO, no tripping)
Standard: move to T10

Z11
Move to U12
Attack William: [roll31], damage [roll32], crit conf [roll33]

Ellroh: 27 <<
Elena: 19 <<
Zombies: 17
Ashlyn: 14
Thera: 13 <<
Adriel: 12 <<
William: 4 <<

http://i59.tinypic.com/2n0ixph.png

This is quite the mess, isn't it?

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 07:14 PM
Ashlyn's Turn
immune to disease (paladin)
Reflex vs entomb: [roll0]

Ashlyn screams at the top of her lungs as the zombies tear into her from all angles. It seems hopeless, but she fights on with a conviction known by few. She turns just in time to see the zombie's fists coming down on her before she plunges into the darkness below the ground. All that's left of her is a pile of disturbed dirt.

Whether or not she's entombed:

Standard: Taps self with Lay on Hands for 18.

Kish
2014-06-24, 08:21 PM
"Ashlyn!" Adriel shouts in horror.
I'm not entirely clear on how obstructive the well is. If I can take a five-foot step to the southwest onto the side of the well to avoid attacks of opportunity, I will, and not cast defensively. If the well is a hole in the ground that completely occupies four squares, then I'll cast defensively instead.

Adriel attempts to cast Ring of Blades.
Concentration check, if casting defensively: [roll0]
Damage this round, if the spell is successful and he's still within range of the E and three zombies:[roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

Then, if Adriel couldn't take a five-foot step to the southwest, he'll take one to the south, regardless of the outcome of the spell.

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't consider the well to be rough terrain, so you could 5 foot step up onto the little wall running around its perimeter, but I'd require a balance check (DC 10) to keep your footing. You probably don't want to do that, so I'm going to assume you 5 foot step south after casting defensively as mentioned at the end of your post.

William, seeing Ashlyn sink into the earth and knowing Adriel is not far behind, rushes forward with his massive sword on one shoulder and holding the symbol of Kord draped around his neck high for all to see. "Kord, grant me your strength that I might defeat my enemies!" he shouts. He brushes past the first three undead stepping right into the middle of the melee with a roar of rage as he brings the sword down on his chosen foe.

Move: move to P11
Free: Activate rage
Standard: Power attack +4 on Z6 [roll0], damage [roll1]+[roll2] fire (+8 more damage, forgot to include power attack) (flanking included)
Cleave on Z5: [roll3], damage [roll4]+[roll5] fire (+8 more damage, forgot to include power attack)

Potential saves vs AoOs, used in order
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
Z9 [roll9], damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]
Z10 [roll12], damage [roll13], crit conf [roll14]
Z11 [roll15], damage [roll16], crit conf [roll17]

I'm intentionally playing him a bit recklessly. Fits the character and... who knows maybe he'll die and this will all get wrapped up in a neat little bow :D
EDIT: Ooooorrr all my attacks will miss and he'll kill everything in sight haha.

The blow connects leaving a deep gash to complement the many cuts developing over its body from Adriel's spell. The zombie falls and William's battle lust continues to his next unfortunate foe striking it down as well.
(Z5 & Z6 are dead)

Adriel: 12
William: 4

Ashlyn is buried at N10

http://i60.tinypic.com/fx8klj.png

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 07:59 AM
As soon as she sees Ashlyn enter the ground, Elena glares at the corpse, and says, "Be purged," as she extends a glowing fingertip, and unleashes a blast of holy light at the thing.

Concentration Check to cast defensively: [roll0] vs. 18

Touch attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Morbis Meh
2014-06-25, 09:34 AM
Thera looks at the horde before her and smiles dangerously, she was a hunter and this was the reason she lived for: a challenge Thera's body suddenly changes into a more primal, avian form and with a smirk launches up into the air. She lands atop a sturdy part of a roof then fires an arrow at the dirty zombie.

Free action: Shifting 1st round (5 rounds total with wings and +2 dex)
Swift: Activating Travel devotion so next round she can move as a swift action
Move: Fly onto rooftop, balance DC should be 12 and her modifier alone is +13 so she should be peachy
standard: attack E1 [roll0]
damage [roll1]
skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3]

wizuriel
2014-06-25, 10:44 AM
Seeing the zombie get up and continue coming after him Ellroh swings his Guisarme around to keep it away.

He will then casually take a step back and try to get it back on the ground. Seeing his companions either rush into the frey or fly away he can only grit his teeth and hope a safe opportunity prevents itself for him to provide better assistance before the zombies overwhelm them all.

AOO:

5 foot step to V10 and attacking Z10
hit: [roll2]
trip attempt: [roll3]
hit: [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-25, 11:25 AM
Elena's cold glare burns into the entomber as the beam of radiance strikes it, searing its flesh and, somewhat, cleansing it of the crusty dirt. It staggers backwards again moments later as an arrow flies down from the roof nearby.
On the otherside of the square, Ellroh faces off against the two figures clawing at him. One goes tumbling to the ground but picks itself up and carries on despite its injuries.
Z10 trip: [roll0]

The other undead swarm around the living. The zombies close ranks with Adriel blocking off the entomber's path, but it turns its attention to William instead. William roars back at it as it rushes him.

Z1
Move to N11
Attack on Adriel: [roll1], damage [roll2], crit conf [roll3]

Z2
Move to O9
Attack on William: [roll4], damage [roll5], crit conf [roll6]

Z4
Attack on Adriel: [roll7], damage [roll8], crit conf [roll9]

Z7
Attack on Elena: [roll10], damage [roll11], crit conf [roll12]

Z8
Attack on Elena: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15]

Z9
Attack on Elena: [roll16], damage [roll17], crit conf [roll18]

Z10
Move: stand (provokes AoO, no tripping)
Standard: move to U10

Z11
Move to U11
Attack on Ellroh: [roll19], damage [roll20], crit conf [roll21]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = sickened
Move to O10
Attack on William: [roll22], damage [roll23], crit conf [roll24]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = sickened
Hit = Reflex save DC 16. Failure = entombed

Z2 fort: [roll25]
E1 fort: [roll26]
E1 ref: [roll27]

William's spreads his feet and braces against the entomber's strike, holding his own and staying above ground, but as he does so one of the zombies leans in and clamps its teeth onto his shoulder. The wound almost immediately festers and you watch as William swoons.

Attempt to burrow out of the grave
Grapple: [roll28]

Unbeknownst to those above ground, Ashlyn claws at the ground trying desperately to reach the surface.

William: 4 <<

Ashlyn is buried at N10

http://i62.tinypic.com/ao1fsl.png

Kish
2014-06-25, 11:50 AM
Two of the zombies strike Adriel soundly as the ring of silver blades whirling around him slice into them.

Fortitude save 1:[roll0]Fortitude save 2:[roll1]
Damage from Ring of Blades for Z1:[roll2]
Damage from Ring of Blades for Z4:[roll3]
Damage from Ring of Blades for Z7:[roll4]

Adriel takes a five-foot step to the southwest and casts another spell. A sphere of flame rolls over the ground to strike Z1 (assuming Z1 isn't destroyed by the Ring of Blades; if it is, the sphere will go after Z7, Z4, or the entomber, in that order.
Flaming Sphere damage: [roll5], Reflex DC 17 negates.

wizuriel
2014-06-25, 12:24 PM
Seeing the zombie get up again Ellroh swings Guisarme hoping to bring it down.

Bloody hell Ellroh exclaimed as the other zombie took the oppurtunity to come up and bite him. Ellroh turned to face the new threat, but noticed out of the corner of his eye the other zombie once again getting back up and shambling over to him. When he gets close Ellroh will again try to take his feet out from under him and hopefully tangle up the other zombie.

And this was supposed to be a vacation he muttered.

Aoo
damage: 15

Fort Save: [roll1]

5 foot step to W11
use inspiration point for +5 dodge bonus against zombie Z11

attacking zombie Z10
trip: [roll3]
damage: 11

edit: Damage rolls in OOC

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 12:34 PM
Elena mutters a brief prayer, which causes a glowing silver longsword to appear, striking at the Entomber, while she focuses her attention on the nearby zombies.

Cast Quickened Spiritual Weapon defensively, attacking the entomber
Concentration: [roll0]
Spiritual attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack Z9
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-25, 12:49 PM
As the blades continue to score the horde, Adriel conjures a sphere of fire that begins to roll over the undead. You find yourselves uttering subconscious prayers that they aren't alive for the screams would be awful.
Z1 save: [roll0]

As the others whittle away at the bulk of the zombies, Ellroh trips his own foe for the third time. As he jabs the blade into its torso it finally lays still.

Elena's prayers are answered as a shining sword appears behind the entomber and begins hacking away at it in a brilliant series of flourishes and strikes. Its body looks nearly broken, but it fights on with unnatural vigor. Between monitoring her magical sword and parrying the limbs and teeth assailing her, Elena is unable to get a good swing in at her attackers.

William, staggered by the wound on his shoulder strikes out at the Entomber bringing his sword straight down letting its weight carry it into the creature's body. It crunches with a horrifying sound and slumps to the ground, dead. Still enraged and woozy, he swings at the zombie that bit him next and removes one of its arms at the socket as he brings his blade upward into the sky.
PA +4 on entomber: [roll1], damage [roll2]+[roll3] fire
potential cleave on Z2: [roll4], damage [roll5]+[roll6] fire

Ellroh: 27
Elena: 19

Ashlyn is buried at N10.
Flaming sphere in N11.

http://i61.tinypic.com/28cozzb.png

Kish
2014-06-25, 01:18 PM
So I just realized that I neglected to factor warmage edge into my damage. If you want to apply it retroactively, that's 2 more damage to each of the zombies hit by my Ring of Blades in the round it was cast, 2 more to each of the zombies hit by it last round, and 2 more to Z1 for the Flaming Sphere.
Flaming Sphere damage this round, with edge factored in:[roll0]
I wonder how long Ashlyn can hold her breath. Figuring the answer is "longer than she'll need to while we finish this," Adriel casts one of the earliest spells he learned at whichever zombie looks least damaged.
Magic Missile damage:[roll1]

Morbis Meh
2014-06-25, 01:40 PM
Thera darts around the roof top firing away at the swarm around the stubborn cleric.

Swift: Moving around randomly atop the roof for 10 ft to initiate skirmish
Full Action: Rapid Shot @ Z9 and if first arrow kills it then second can target Z8

Arrow 1
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]
skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3]

Arrow 2
to hit [roll4]
damage [roll5]
skirmish [roll6]
crystal [roll7]

miinstrel
2014-06-25, 02:09 PM
Yeah we can retcon that for this fight. This is your freebie though, hope you remember on your turn from now on ;).

Based on your actions so far, I'm going to presume you are also using your move to put your flaming sphere back on Z1 and then you'll 5 foot step to L13 before casting MM. Note that stepping away means your blade spell won't do any damage since that procs at the end of your turn. If either of those assumptions are incorrect let me know.

Z1 save vs sphere: [roll0]
Thera sinks two arrows into one of the zombies attacking Elena. It slumps forward onto her shield before rolling down to the ground.
Adriel lets loose a barrage of purple missiles that send another of her assailants reeling (Z8) as she channels the spongy sphere after her pursuer.
William staggers. He places his blade on the ground and leans against it, quite out of breath. His eyes are glassy, the rush of anger faded.
The bite doesn't really knock you out like this, just fluffing it in anticipation of him leaving the party.

The zombies continue forward clawing and biting at whatever bit of exposed flesh is nearest their gaping maws.
Z1
5 foot step to N12

Z4
Attack on Elena: [roll4], damage [roll5], crit conf [roll6]

Z7
Attack on Elena: [roll7], damage [roll8], crit conf [roll9]

Z8

Z11
5 foot step to V10
Attack on Ellroh: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened.

Attempts to claw her way out of the ground.
Grapple: [roll16]

Ashlyn is buried at N10.
Flaming sphere in N12.

http://i59.tinypic.com/zsq13m.png

Morbis Meh
2014-06-25, 02:15 PM
Thera keeps raining arrows down upon the undead horrors but she begins whistling a jaunty tune to amuse herself atop the roof.

Rinse and repeat of last turn except new target is Z7
Arrow 1
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]
skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3]

Arrow 2
to hit [roll4]
damage [roll5]
skirmish [roll6]
crystal [roll7]

wizuriel
2014-06-25, 02:40 PM
One down, one to go.

Ellroh carefully backups to continue his strategy of keeping the zombie away from him.

5 foot step to X10

attacking zombie Z11
trip: [roll1]
damage (inspiration point): [roll3]

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 05:02 PM
Elena cries out as one of the zombies delivers a brutal hit to her side, but she grits her teeth and swings her blade at her attacker. Meanwhile, the spectral sword surges forwards, it's target dealt with, to attack the next one in line.

Spirit Attack: [roll0]

Elena's attack; [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

miinstrel
2014-06-25, 06:03 PM
Make sure you call out your targets, even for your spiritual sword. I presume it's just going after the nearest zombie (Z1).

Thera's musical stylings are haunting as they trickle down through the fog. The square makes them echo just enough to make you slightly unsure where its coming from. Two arrows plunge down from above as well, sticking solidly in one of the zombies' torsos.

Ellroh continues practicing his routines. They're fairly simple to execute, especially against a mindless opponent like this one. Another trip, another tap.
Z11 trip: [roll0]

Through the pain, Elena finds the strength to bring her sword up once again, but the wound is limiting her mobility and she brings it clumsily to bear against her target. Chunks of her flesh hang from its teeth and blood drips down its chin. Her deity's sword, on the other hand, strikes true.

The zombies continue to attack Elena while the one other chases Adriel around the fountain, stumblingly foolishly through the spinning blades. It feels no pain and no remorse, only hunger.
Z1
5 foot step to M13

Z4
Attack on Elena: [roll4], damage [roll5], crit conf [roll6]

Z7
Attack on Elena: [roll7], damage [roll8], crit conf [roll9]

Z8

Z11
Move: stand up (provokes AoO)
Standard: 5 foot step to W10 (i'm gonna push you right off the map :P)

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened.
Attempt to dig out.
Grapple: [roll13]
5 foot step to O11
Attack Z4: [roll14], damage [roll15]+[roll16] fire

William staggers forward in a daze and falls blade first onto one of the zombies, killing it in the process.

Ashlyn is buried at N10.
Flaming sphere in N12.
William is prone.
Bloodied: Z1, Z7

http://i61.tinypic.com/2mxiu0l.png

Morbis Meh
2014-06-25, 06:22 PM
Thera continues whistling her very oddly high spirited tune, which is rather inappropriate for the situation, and decides to float down off of the roof top since the horde had been somewhat thinned while firing arrows at the undead plaguing the cleric.

Second verse same as the first; Though Thera will float down to Q10 as her swift action

Arrow 1 (Z7)
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
skirmish [roll2]
crystal [roll3]

Arrow 2 (Z8)
attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]
skirmish [roll6]
crystal [roll7]

Kish
2014-06-25, 06:35 PM
I can't take much more, Adriel reflects on some level of his brain, but most his brain is filled with savage elation as the zombie steps exactly where he was hoping. He takes another step back, points to Z7 to direct the flaming sphere there, and casts a bolt of lightning through the three zombies lined up in front of him.

Fortitude save: [roll0]
Flaming Sphere damage: [roll1]
Lightning Bolt damage: Z1 [roll2] Z7 [roll3] Z8 [roll4]

miinstrel
2014-06-25, 07:15 PM
Thera's arrows find their marks dropping the first one and wounding the second.
Adriel's spells go off perfectly sending the elements raging against the remaining zombies burning them to a crisp.

Z1 sphere: [roll0]
Z1 bolt: [roll1]
Z8 bolt: [roll2]

Thera: 13

Ashlyn is buried at N10.
Flaming sphere in M13.
William is prone.

http://i61.tinypic.com/25k3e6c.png

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 07:59 PM
With the zombies dispatched for the most part, Elena directs her sword to take care of the one Ellroh is fighting as she runs to where the woman was buried, and digs desperately, trying to save her.

Move to N9, start digging for Ashlyn.

Sword Attack on Z11: [roll0]

wizuriel
2014-06-26, 07:09 AM
Why won't you just die....again?

AOO
damage (inspiration point): [roll1]

5 foot step down the road

attacking zombie Z11
trip: [roll3]

miinstrel
2014-06-26, 12:43 PM
The last of the fiends falls to the ground as Ellroh neatly trips it and lays his guisarme along the ground, severing its head as it s neck falls along the blade.

Elena digs in the dirt throwing clods a handful at a time behind her. A couple hit William's legs but he seems too out of it to care. As she digs she eventually feels the dirt pushing up against her hands. An arm breaches the ground and grabs her own, pulling itself up with a deep inhalation of sweet air. The paladin, soiled and bruised, pushes her golden hair through the hole and slowly claws her way up, birthed from the grave in a twisted parody. "Your timing... *gasp*... is excellent. Are you alright Adriel?"

http://i61.tinypic.com/30d8e2p.png

Kish
2014-06-26, 01:15 PM
Adriel considers his condition as his immediate adrenalin rush fades. "I'm...quite battered, but I'll live as long as there's no more combat in our immediate future. Thank you for coming along when you did, strangers."

Morbis Meh
2014-06-26, 01:22 PM
Thera shoulders her bow casually and walks around the area hoping to determine if they were alone this time "Keep your thanks, I am here to hunt, dust her off and let's keep moving. This location is too out in the open and we risk further ambushes, do you two know of a safe location in this festering hell hole?"

Kish
2014-06-26, 01:26 PM
"The inn there is safe for now," Adriel points. "This is the first time the zombies got through the barricades."

miinstrel
2014-06-26, 01:42 PM
Thera, you are content that the area is clear... for now. The other three barricades are holding with several dead bodies spread about on the other sides.

"If you are here to destroy this infection then our aims coincide. Most of the survivors have taken shelter in the tavern," she says pointing to the northeast corner of the square. Ashlyn looks around making sure no other zombies are approaching. She gives a saddened look at the destroyed eastern barricade. "We need to get that patched up." Moving to the tavern door she pounds her gauntlet three times. "It's safe. We need repairs made immediately." The door opens timidly and two surly men in travelers' garments come quickly out with hammers and nails and get to work repairing the makeshift wall. They're dressed similarly to the man who delivered the message to you at the inn last night. Above the door hangs a wooden sign that reads Blood on the Vine Tavern.
The sign originally said Blood of the Vine, but at some point an 'N' was scratched over the 'F'.

A door on the opposite side of the square opens as well, and a young man, perhaps 17, ventures out to help with the repairs, the door closing promptly behind him. The sign above that building reads Bildrath's Mercantile.

Once repairs are underway, Ashlyn speaks again. "I apologize for my rudeness, but the defenses have to take precedence over formalities. I am Ashlyn, a member of the Lightbringers. My companions and I heard Barovia was thick with horrors and came to cleanse them. This is Adriel, and though unaffiliated with my order he has been a welcome ally. I sent a request for reinforcements... is that why you're here? We can speak inside if you'd be more comfortable there."

Morbis Meh
2014-06-26, 03:24 PM
Thera smirks at the dark humor presented on the door "Indeed I am here to rid my people of these foul abominations and may I suggest before you patch up the barricades you take some time to clear the area of corpses. Wouldn't want disease to spread among the survivors and you can even use their bodies as a barricade in a pinch."

Her facial features revert to her original state as she gives a smug smile toward Elena "My WHO would have thought that the survivors would gather at a tavern... It almost makes sense considering it is a large space that has food stores but then again that seems too logical and must only be a coincidence." Chuckling the shifter enter the door of the tavern, stepping inside to the common room.

Ionbound
2014-06-26, 06:16 PM
Elena glares at Thera and says, "Forgive me for not taking the word of an animal. I thought the people had more faith...Though it does not surprise me in these darkened lands." She then bows her head to Ashlyn and Adriel, and says, "I am glad to hear that someone still cares about this village. Thank you for being here when I could not be."

Kish
2014-06-26, 06:34 PM
Adriel raises an eyebrow at the armored woman's words to Thera ((what does Thera look like, anyway?)) but says only, "If any of you has healing to offer, I would appreciate it. I'm in no shape to fight should more zombies show up."

miinstrel
2014-06-26, 07:05 PM
"Once the barricade is repaired I will get some men to help remove the bodies. You are a forward thinker indeed."

"I'm sorry, Adriel, here allow me. It's all I can do, but it should help with the pain." Ashlyn places her hand on your shoulder and mutters a quiet prayer. You feel some of the claw marks heal over, but the memory of the pain remains.
Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

As you walk inside Ashlyn answers Elena, "The gods send us where we are needed. It is not these peoples' time to die."

A thin skein of smoke curls up from the wide chimney as you step through the door. A mutter of voices, a clatter of dishware, and the squeal of a poorly played wind instrument usher from this rambling building.

As you enter the structure, you count nine, no, ten families packed into the main room. Makeshift bedding has been set up around the edges with seemingly whatever could be scavenged from the town before the zombie incursion became too severe. Other than the families, a few figures catch your eye:
- A well-built man in an apron stands behind the counter mindlessly cleaning glasses.
- Three Vistani sit playing cards and slurping beer at a table near the bar with two empty chairs at their table.
- A man garbed in the outfit of a noble, a stained and dirty noble anyway, sits in a shadowy corner sipping wine from a goblet.

People look at William with fear seeing the dark veins protruding from his shoulder wound. Whispers abound about him turning like the others, but Ashlyn assures them he will be alright. She takes you to an empty table near the bar and offers you seats. There are only five so she opts to stand next to Adriel's chair. It takes a minute or two for the commotion to build up again after the excitement of your arrival.

"So then. What brings you to this desperate village?"

Ionbound
2014-06-26, 07:53 PM
Elena nods and says, "I understand. I'm glad these people still have some beacon of hope. This is my home, but I have...been away for a very long time, and have only now been able to return. But perhaps this was fated. Between the three of us, and perhaps even some strange bedfellows, we'll be able to deal with the darkness enveloping this land." As she speaks, she touches Adriel's shoulder, and mist begins seeming from his wounds and her own, quickly sealing almost all of his, and most of hers.

CMW for 15 on Adriel, and another for 9 on myself.

wizuriel
2014-06-26, 11:28 PM
"Once the barricade is repaired I will get some men to help remove the bodies.

If you can get your men to bring two of the bodies to a clearing I would very much like to study them. The undead here definitely have some unique traits compared to what I've seen at home. The undead there are more stiff and wooden, the magic seems to barely give them the ability to move....sorry where are my manners? I shouldn't start lecturing before introducing myself. I am called Ellroh, a professor from the Miskatonic University of the Elvish federation. As for what brought us here? It was actually a letter that reached us from Kolyan Indirovich

Morbis Meh
2014-06-27, 09:15 AM
Thera barely listens to the childish one's retort as she views the room with distaste. Far too many pink skins in one place... Their stench is overwhelming, bah if I was assured to survive a night in this god forsaken stretch of wilderness I would leave immediately before I begin to smell like them." She finds a table as far removed as possible in these cramped quarters and is quite irritated when the others join her.

She regards the still dirt stained woman coolly "You humans don't listen very well, like I said before I am here to hunt. I tracked my quarry to this location that is all, if you wish to see it as some divine purpose then that is your own mistake."

Kish
2014-06-27, 10:05 AM
"Thank you, and thank you," Adriel says to Ashlyn and Elena. Inside the tavern, he looks at Ellroh. "From Kolyan Indirovich? That's odd. Are you a n--wizard?"

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 11:50 AM
"Certainly, Professor. Having a learned man such as yourself may well help us find the reason for the attacks. The locals swear by the workings of a..." Ashlyn opens a small journal and flips to the middle. "... Madam Eva. Some soothsayer that lives in the valley. She is not, however, stuck in Barovia as we are. Perhaps she knows best after all." She cracks a wry smile that is still charming despite the dry humor.

Turning to Elena, she replies "And darkness there is. I came with two companions, Thendrick, one of Pelor's faithful, and Mathilda, a capable warrior. We were searching for a legendary weapon rumored to have gone missing in these parts called the Sunsword, have you heard of it? It's a weapon of great power against the undead, particularly those that relish the darkness like vampires. It fell out of the histories long ago, but I've determined it was last seen and used in these lands. The townsfolk said Madam Eva would know if anyone did.

Anyway, the zombies attacked before we could visit her. These people believe the church is the source of the infection, and my companions wanted to investigate immediately. Everyone begged them to speak to Madam Eva first, but they wouldn't listen, the arrogant clods. They went to the church confident they could handle whatever was within. That was three days ago. I haven't heard from them and haven't been able to leave the square lest I leave these people at the mercy of the hordes."

Anyone can give me checks to know about the Sunsword.
The blade glows a soft blue. It's powers are unlocked through a special bonding ritual. Other sunblades exist as well. The more recently made ones are more costly and powerful, but need not be bonded to the wielder.
Ages ago, a man named Strahd employed a powerful wizard to destroy the Sunsword. The process involved separating the hilt and the blade which were to be destroyed simultaneously. Before the second step could be completed, however, the wizard's assistant stole the blade and attempted to flee from Barovia. His body was later found in the woods... but not the blade.
Since the assistant's treachery, Strahd has lived in fear that the blade might be found. A special ceremony is needed to fashion a new hilt. The bonding ritual may only be completed once the hilt has been forged and attached.

Ellroh, I'd also like a check from you for examining the bodies.
As you dissect one of the corpses you notice the blood has continued to pump in their veins despite being "dead." The infection must be stemming from this strange occurrence.
Most zombies are animated directly by magic not by a carrier like this. There must be something or someone keeping this plague in the blood active and alive. A disease of this sort doesn't exist in nature.
You note markings on the body and face that indicate a burial ritual was performed. These are traditionally done by a village religious leader. This corpse must have come from the church.

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 11:58 AM
Elena nods at the mention of the sunsword and says, "I have heard of it, yes. I certainly wouldn't dare take on Strahd without it..." And then, at the mention of the church, she pales and continues, "Surely not...Damn him, further than he is already damned...And may the mists protect your companions. I fear that they may already be lost to us. How close are we to Madame Eva? Could we speak with her and be back by the time that the sun sets?"

Gather Information: [roll0]

wizuriel
2014-06-27, 12:15 PM
Yeah a messenger arrived in an inn just outside town from him, though it looked pretty old and the messenger was not very helpful on the true danger of the town. I take it from your reaction he isn't around anymore?

When Ellroh hears the church might be the source of the outbreak he will turn to Ellena Called it. This is why it is a bad idea to wander around blindly and not gather information first, now if you will excuse me I have some Science to do.

Ellroh will carefully get out his tools to start dissecting the bodies and study the remains.

knowledge religion + inspiration point: [roll0] (33)

after studying the bodies for a bit he will ask for Ashlyn.

These bodies are fascinating, and definitely not you normal necromancy. As I mentioned earlier your typical necromancer uses dark magics to force the body to move, but that keeps the zombie pretty wooden, stiff and slow; but that isn't the case with these zombies. See when I cut into the corpse there is still fluid being pumped? That shouldn't happen. When you die your heart stops, so no blood flow. Something is forcing the blood to keep flowing in these creatures keeping them mobile and something in the blood is what is causing them to be undead. Anyways I wanted to show you these markings over here.
Ellroh will bring his pendant over to show more light over the corpses and try to show off the markings
These markings look like they are part of some kind of burial ritual. Would you know who might have performed it or why?

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 12:43 PM
Ellroh, when you go outside to work on the cadaver the repairs are almost completed. You're not surprised since the barricades are little more than a tightly piled heap of junk. The two rough looking men head back to the tavern and the younger boy returns to the shop on the south side of the square.

Back inside, Ashlyn responds to Elena's question. "I'm not sure exactly where she is; the locals would know better. Damn who, exactly? You think someone in particular is behind these attacks?"

After the conversation with Elena comes to a close, Ellroh returns asking for her. She joins him outside along with anyone else interested in the body. Responding to his question she says, "Certainly it would have been the village priest, but I have seen neither him nor any other religious figures since our arrival. I regret to inform you Kolyan Indirovich is dead." "His son, Ismark, is inside in the corner. He may be able to answer your questions."

wizuriel
2014-06-27, 12:49 PM
Well that is a little suspicious, still this looks more like a disea......CRAP!!

Ellroh will rush into the inn

Has anyone seen William?

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 12:53 PM
Elena gives Ashlyn a deadpan look and says, "Who else? Strahd, of course. I can think of one other who would have the power to do something like this, and he is...Not someone who we wouldn't realize is here. It's Strahd."

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 12:53 PM
William sits at the table with the others breathing heavily and staring into a glass of ale. The fact that the glass isn't empty is a worrying indicator. His shoulder looks terrible, but he's definitely still alive. People still give him skeptical looks now and then.

To Elena, "I've heard the townspeople curse with that name. I thought it merely the local equivalent to the 'evil eye.' What is his significance here?"

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 01:26 PM
Elena shakes her head and says, "He is altogether too real, I'm afraid. Strahd is the...Calling him a man would be a stretch, but he rules Barovia. I...When I was a girl...He wanted me...Lady Ezra saved me, and took me somewhere I could learn how to kill monsters like him. And now I've returned."

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 02:40 PM
"Troubling indeed... This is a problem for another day though. Unless this Strahd is the direct cause, we need to stop the dead from walking first. The barricades should be fixed by now, and someone with a strong arm will need to stay behind to watch over William anyway. From what we've seen so far, the infection only fully takes hold upon death. As long as we keep him alive he shouldn't turn unless the sickness grows darker still. I will stay with him.

Perhaps, Adriel, you could help them find the source of these attacks? I would ask that you all make haste to discover what happened to my friends once you feel well enough to leave the relative safety of our little fort. I fear the worst."

Kish
2014-06-27, 03:03 PM
"Certainly. Do you have any idea where to look for the source of the attacks?" Adriel addresses his question in the general direction of Elena.

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 03:41 PM
Elena shrugs and says, "I have to say, if it's coming from the church, then there seems like the best bet. But I would agree that we need the sunsword before he go." With that in mind, Elena carefully approaches the Vistani, and asks them politely, "Would you know where we could find a fortune-teller named Madame Eva? And whether we could visit her and be back by sunset today?"

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 04:22 PM
It's dusk now, and the sun sets a bit earlier than normal behind the hills on the western edge of the vale. One of the Vistani looks up as he shuffles a deck of cards. "By sunset? Go to encampment, mile west of town. Maybe she read your fortune. You come back in dark," he says with a smirk in his thick accent. He returns to casually dealing cards to the other gypsies at the table.

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 04:37 PM
Elena frowns and returns to Adriel and Ashlyn, and says, "Well...Apparently, Madame Eva is in a camp a mile west of here, if they are to be believed," as she gestures with her head at the Vistani, before continuing, "As much as I don't want to, I think we'll need to stay the night here. It would be far worse to spend a night in the wilds here than to let the infestation continue for another night."

Kish
2014-06-27, 08:14 PM
"I'm dubious about our ability to get an uninterrupted night's sleep with zombies still roaming the village, but if there's nothing further we can do that wouldn't keep us out until dark, perhaps we don't have a choice but to try. The church, you said, Ashlyn--did you catch what god was worshipped there, or why the people think the infestation started there?"

miinstrel
2014-06-30, 09:46 AM
She flips through her notebook again. "Ahh, here we are. The chapel is dedicated to Ehlonna, goddess of the woodlands."

Kish
2014-06-30, 10:25 AM
"But no clue why they think the infestation started there? Hm." Adriel turns to look at Thera. "Who is your quarry? And, if I may ask, who are you? I don't believe I caught your name."

wizuriel
2014-07-02, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry William, but if what the paladin says is true it would be best if you stay here. Though I would like to inquire if I can have some blood samples in looking for a cure?

Morbis Meh
2014-07-02, 09:35 AM
Thera smirks at the pink skins jabbering about the big scary woods, she herself could go in and out with little to no trouble but then again she wasn't soft from the comforts of civilization. When addressed the shifter stared dully at the male pink skin "That's because I didn't give it nor did I have any intention of doing so. I did not plan to be... accompanied by humans. You wouldn't be able to pronounce my true name but if you wish to have something to call me by Thera will suffice for the time being. My quarry are the abominations that plague the town and what ever is their source."

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 11:33 AM
William obliges, allowing Ellroh to swab some blood from his festering wound and grunting through the pain.
"You should lie down. The less strain on your body the better," Ashlyn says to him once you're done. "If any of you are able to call upon your god to cure this affliction please do so in your morning prayers." She moves to help William up, but he shrugs her aid off and stands on his own. She catches the bartender's eye and gets a silent nod of approval before walking with him up the stairs to rest.

Ball is in your court. The following options are available:
- Continue to gather info from the locals
- Venture out to find Madam Eva (though you'll need to return at night)
- Head to the church
- Find the burgomaster
- Call it a day and start again in the morning.
- Something else clever I haven't thought of :)

wizuriel
2014-07-02, 12:19 PM
Ellroh will carefully put the blood samples from William and the 2 undead creatures away to study later.

He will then approach Ismark.

Excuse me sir, I was hoping you could tell me what happened to your father? A vistani delivered a message to us outside the city that your father was looking for people to aid in the undead problem. As Ellroh reaches into his bag to pull out the letter to show the son. From what I've heard he fell? Also how long exactly have the undead been attacking like this?

Ionbound
2014-07-02, 12:32 PM
Elena thinks briefly, and then asks Ashlyn, "What happened to the Burgeomaster? Is he alright? And how hard do you think would it be for us to make our way to his mansion?"

Kish
2014-07-02, 12:37 PM
"He's dead. His son's the one your fr--ah, traveling companion is speaking to now." Adriel gestures in the direction of Ellroh and Ismark.

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 12:57 PM
"Too long..." he says bluntly as he raises his glass for another deep drink. "Father's body lies these ten days in our manor to the south. Dead. My sister remains with him, barricaded against the zombies." His face and voice are distant, lost in the tragedy or perhaps his drink. "They didn't get him though, no. The infection began after he had already died, thank the gods. No, it was the master of the castle, or his servants, that killed Kolyan Indirovitch!" His blank expression turns to mild anger as his grip tightens around the goblet.

Ionbound
2014-07-02, 01:12 PM
Elena frowns at the boys words and says, "I'm going to go get his sister. Anyone who wants to come with me, come with me. But like I said, I'm not going to let anyone stay out here for another night," as she stands and begins walking towards the door.

Kish
2014-07-02, 01:26 PM
"She's not exactly out there if she's barricaded in the burgomaster's mansion," Adriel says in a voice that may or may not actually reach Elena's ears. Glancing at the hostile something-other-than-human woman, however, he shrugs and follows Elena to the door.

Morbis Meh
2014-07-02, 01:29 PM
Thera sighs as the overly rash cleric yet again makes a silly vow before thinking it through "Have fun running outside in the dark, I am sure you can convince a paranoid, grief stricken daughter who has barricaded herself within her home with the corpse of her deceased father as hordes of zombies attempt to devour her with your 'considerable people skills'. Ten gold says she makes it there only to get shrieked at then surrounded by undead... Any takers? Oh, I almost forgot, militant church girl, is there a half decent fletcher around here?"

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 01:48 PM
The barkeep grunts once in amusement at the sarcasm before offering some information in a husky bass scratchy from several years of smoking. "Bildrath runs the town's shop across the square if you need arrows. Good luck getting him to open up though... won't let nobody in while the dead are walking about."

wizuriel
2014-07-02, 02:08 PM
So if he died before this infection really began how did he write the letter? This is your father's handwriting and seal yes?

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 02:24 PM
Ismark takes the letter from you, turning it over in his hands. "That's his seal, but this is not his writing. They must have stolen it while they were here!" he conspires. "A few months ago 'he who rules the castle' - that devil, Strahd - tried to pay us a visit. I don't know why. My father bravely stood up to him using the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. It's a powerful amulet that hurt Strahd, but one morning we awoke to find our father dead from poison. After that, the power of the amulet wouldn't work for me or my sister, Ireena."

He continues after another long drink, "The plague started at the church shortly after that. The priest, Danovich, used to ward the chapel and the village, but his vigil lapsed when his son Doru was slain by brigands on the Old Svalich road. No one's quite sure what became of Danovich, but soon afterward the dead began to walk." His demeanor shifts from anger to hopelessness. "The two Lightbringers went to investigate but didn't return. I told them to talk to Madam Eva first - that woman is wiser than all of us. I can only imagine what foul magic that treacherous priest turned to."

Ionbound
2014-07-02, 03:02 PM
Elena glares at Thera and says, "I wouldn't expect an animal to understand compassion." At the news about the letter, however, she stops and says, "That's...Interesting. I wonder what motive Strahd has drawing us here...It doesn't matter. We can make him regret doing so. And the first step in doing so will be saving Ireena."

Kish
2014-07-02, 03:14 PM
Adriel moves over to Ismark's table. "So the amulet was tied to your father's life in some way. My condolences for your losses." Studiously ignoring the byplay between Elena and Thera, he offers Ismark a sympathetic look and goes on, "So you think the priest of Ehlonna is actively involved in the zombie problem?"

Morbis Meh
2014-07-02, 03:21 PM
Thera snickers "Oh my, what an awe inspiring display of creativity we have here. I will take being referred to as an animal as a compliment, any animal is more noble and pure than one of you human pigs but that is an entirely different matter. The matter at hand is that you still haven't realized that you are not the leader of this ragtag group nor will you ever be with that reckless attitude. So quit being a child and open your ears, the woman has barricaded herself in a house, if she is still alive then another night should not prove to be difficult; however, venturing out when we clearly have wounded and just before dusk is a sure way to invite death. How will you save the town if you die by the hands of some other foul beast? We only have just entered this town and you have nearly crossed over into the lands of shadow. I think it would be more prudent to ask those that live here about the possible dangers that we face then meet with this 'Madam Eva before making an attempt to extricate what seems to be an unwilling person."

Kish
2014-07-02, 03:43 PM
If Elena reaches for the door, Adriel says, "If you wait until we're done discussing dead men writing, I'll go with you."

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 03:47 PM
Ismark seems unphased by the heated conversation replying to Adriel's question calmly. "He must be. That's where we keep the dead, and they walk among us. Me? I'm going to sit here and drink. Good luck with Ireena. Perhaps she'll give you the useless amulet - much good it'll do you. But I doubt she'll leave the mansion. She stands vigil over our father's body to make certain he doesn't rise like the others." Another drink and he sets his empty glass down hard on the table.

Kish
2014-07-02, 04:01 PM
"He could be dead, couldn't he? But I suppose that makes sense. It sounds like the church is a better next stop than the mansion." He shrugs. "But I'm not going to the church alone, and I don't really see any reason to not go to the mansion."

Ionbound
2014-07-02, 08:24 PM
Elena nods and says, "The mansion is a little ways south of here. Is anyone else going to come?"

wizuriel
2014-07-03, 11:03 AM
ENOUGH Ellroh roars! Elena sit down you're not going anywhere tonight. Wandering at night is just stupid and splitting up even worse. We're better off resting while we have a chance and making sure the fortifications here don't fail again. It was only a handful of minutes ago the fortifications failed here and the zombies nearly overwhelmed the few fighters. If you want to help you can help making sure the fortifications are more fortified. I mean you know how long it takes to set up a good wall to keep out zombies?

Knowledge (Arch & Eng) on setting up a good fortification (with inspiration point): [roll0] (27, should be +4 from inspiration not +5)

OOC: If no one stops him Ellroh will lecture for 30min before continuing his point.

Anyways Thera is right that we need more information before investigating someone that might be dead already. Though if what Ismark says is true this amulet could be a vitial resource to look into in stopping the undead and this plague. There has to be a reason Strahd killed his father before this started and the amulet sounds like a good clue. I propose at first light tomorrow we head to the manor and try to save the girl and get the amulet and then stop by madam eve and learn more about what is going on. We might also want to give some thought on WHY someone is trying to lure people here

Kish
2014-07-03, 07:10 PM
Realizing that the strange elf is going to go on about building barricades for quite some time, Adriel unobtrusively reads the letter over Ismark's shoulder.

Ionbound
2014-07-03, 10:24 PM
Elena glares at Ellroh and says, "No, what I'm not doing is that I'm not going to leave an innocent to die and rise as one of these monsters. If the zombies could break through here, they could break through what she has set up. Anyways, it's barely a hundred yards to the south of here. I'll be back in no time." With that, unless anyone stops her, she heads out of the inn and starts making her way south.

Kish
2014-07-03, 10:26 PM
Adriel rubs his chin briefly and shrugs before following Elena. Outside, as Elena (presumably) heads full-steam south, he peers ahead, looking for zombies.
[roll0]

wizuriel
2014-07-04, 06:43 AM
*sigh*

Ellroh gestures to Thera, Ismark and Ashlyn. Well you're the huntress and you two have been living during this mess. How suicidially stupid is it to venture out at night to try and move your sister?

Morbis Meh
2014-07-04, 09:34 AM
Thera shrugged "With heavy fog and their need for a light source... they will be a beacon for anything looking for dinner; furthermore, to make matters worse the fog will reflect the light back at them making it nearly impossible for them to see. There chances of being attacked are almost guaranteed and if I recall correctly the gentleman who delivered the note advised us not to travel at night so I would assume some other being prowls around at night."

miinstrel
2014-07-04, 11:42 AM
Ahh splitting the party. Every DM's favorite move. Muahahaha :P

At the Tavern
I'm waiting on something that requires my input for now.

Adriel & Elena
You make your way out into the courtyard. The barricade has been repaired as best it can be and the bodies littering the courtyard have been dumped on the other sides of the makeshift walls. You head south, climb over the wall, and make your way toward the burgomaster's manse.
The street is eerily quiet (are either of you carrying a light source?). Most of the buildings are the same as others you've seen on the outskirts of town: abandoned, broken, and ruined. Two stand out:
1. A large structure on your left flanked by two alleys that lead into the darkness. The windows have been broken in and a horrible stench, as that of a slaughterhouse, wafts out and threatens to overtake you.
2. The other is a two story townhouse adjacent to it on the south side. A moaning sob floats through the still, gray streets, hoarse and drained of hope.

http://i58.tinypic.com/xe1sid.png

Kish
2014-07-04, 12:01 PM
Adriel touches Elena's longsword (assuming she slows down enough for him to catch up with her at some point), and casts a Light spell on it. He won't go close to either building. "If we get jumped by more corpses alone out here, we should run," he hisses.

Ionbound
2014-07-04, 12:42 PM
((Longsword, Kish.))

Elena raises her lit sword, also shying away from the buildings, and says, "Perhaps. Depends on how many there are. I can take 3 or 4, should it come to that. Hopefully, we won't be attacked though...Even though I doubt we'd be so lucky. Let's just hope Ireena is still alive...And human."

miinstrel
2014-07-05, 11:42 AM
Adriel & Elena

You continue down the street leaving the wailing behind. At the end of the road an aged and dilapidated mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence, but the gates have been twisted open - one lies torn from its hinges, while the other swings crazily in the wind, screeching and clanging with mindless repetition. The house beyond is marked by claws, fires, and ominous stains. Every window is boarded, every door barricaded. Several corpses lie around the base of the building like charred pin cushions, bolts sticking out in every direction. Licks of flame still play at the tatters of clothes on one of the bodies.

Kish
2014-07-05, 11:47 AM
"Well, if they didn't break in, they certainly tried." Adriel looks for anywhere in the barricaded doors and boarded windows where his voice seems more likely to penetrate to the other side, and yells, "Anyone in there? Ireena Kolyana? We're here to help!"

If he can remove a barrier without damaging it, he will; he won't go so far as to continue the monsters' apparent efforts to break into this building. He'll keep an eye on the street behind them, as well.

Ionbound
2014-07-05, 02:07 PM
Elena stands watch, ever wary of any undead trying to take advantage of their rescue attempt to try to get at Ireena.

Rolling Spot:

[roll0]

miinstrel
2014-07-05, 02:41 PM
The grounds seem clear. Any undead in your immediate vicinity are lifeless on the ground outside the manor. From the second story you hear the soft click of a latch followed by a window opening outward. A crossbow held by a shadowy figure is trained on Adriel. A moment later the wielder steps forward into the light of your spell. She has a soft yet striking face and curly black hair that falls upon the buckles of a steel breastplate. "You're not from here. Who are you and what do you want?" she demands sharply.

Kish
2014-07-05, 02:43 PM
"We're here to see if you're all right, if you need help. We've killed a number of the undead today, but your brother mentioned you were barricaded in here. Can we come inside? I promise we aren't undead."

miinstrel
2014-07-05, 09:46 PM
"Do try to keep your voice down if you please," she hushes. "Ismark is alive? Oh thank the gods. I haven't seen him for days. I'm afraid the front door is thoroughly barricaded, and I'm not likely to be taking that down until this whole mess is cleared up. I won't have my father eaten by the dead because of a reckless decision to let in two strangers. I appreciate your concern, but I'm fine. There's food enough to keep me alive a while longer. If you really want to help, find a way to keep the deceased in their graves." She keeps the crossbow leveled at you the entire time, though she doesn't seem inclined to fire it from her tone.

Ionbound
2014-07-05, 10:35 PM
Elena raises her hands and says, "There is safety in numbers...You and your father will be much better off with everyone else rather than holed up here alone. I remember him...He was a good man. I'd rather die than let these beasts devour him. But please...Let us take you back to somewhere safer."