PDA

View Full Version : Player Help LV 10 wizard - only one starting item, what should it be?

Stygofthedump
2014-05-06, 05:29 PM
As above. Core 3.5 only, might stretch to SRD. What would you take ?
Chances are DM will allow minor items more readily than major items.
feel free to suggest artifacts but im sure its a big no unless there is some excellent fluff.
Thanks in advance

Darkweave31
2014-05-06, 05:36 PM
1. Obtain Scroll of wish

2. Wish for a simulacrum of a solar

3. Have Solar simulacrum wish for a scroll of wish

4. Repeat until DMGs start flying towards your head

Deathra13
2014-05-06, 05:43 PM
Ask for the biggest trap artifact in the game. Ask for the Deck of Many Things. Then only use it as a barter to allow others to draw from it.

Darkweave31
2014-05-06, 05:55 PM
Ask for the biggest trap artifact in the game. Ask for the Deck of Many Things. Then only use it as a barter to allow others to draw from it.

This could be fun for a halfling wizard that travels around as a fortune teller. The Deck of many things are her tarot cards. The fortune happens immediately. None of the drama of having to wait for whether your fortunes will come true! Open Felicity's Fabulously Fast Fortunes!!!

Stygofthedump
2014-05-06, 05:57 PM
This could be fun for a halfling wizard that travels around as a fortune teller. The Deck of many things are her tarot cards. The fortune happens immediately. None of the drama of having to wait for whether your fortunes will come true! Open Felicity's Fabulously Fast Fortunes!!!

I like it!

Rubik
2014-05-06, 06:00 PM
Spellbook full of spells. How about an orange ioun stone? Ring of wizardry? Scroll of Polymorph Any Object, CL 20? Headband of all stats +6?

Actually, I think the scroll is more powerful than any Core item that doesn't cast Wish. Except spellbooks, I guess. And even then, only high level ones.

Stygofthedump
2014-05-06, 06:04 PM
Actually the most powerful item is your first one. Spell book. yea.

SinsI
2014-05-06, 06:08 PM
Staff of Twin Repeat Wish.

dascarletm
2014-05-06, 06:19 PM
Choose a fully loaded spellbook unless one of the following conditions are met:

1. You are building a spellbook-less wizard. (See: Eidetic Spellcaster, or that one thing where you tatoo all your spells on you.)
2. You already get a spellbook as an assumed item.

Edit:

If you do have one of these conditions get a greater metamagic rod of quicken.

Baroknik
2014-05-06, 06:36 PM
Practical: Boccob's Blessed Book

Best: Rod of Wonder

Rubik
2014-05-06, 06:42 PM

Best: Rod of WonderI've never seen anything useful or interesting about a cursed joke item that screws over the wielder almost as badly as his enemies. Ugh.

The book, however, is a great idea.

Stygofthedump
2014-05-06, 07:27 PM
Choose a fully loaded spellbook unless one of the following conditions are met:

1. You are building a spellbook-less wizard. (See: Eidetic Spellcaster, or that one thing where you tatoo all your spells on you.)
2. You already get a spellbook as an assumed item.

Edit:

If you do have one of these conditions get a greater metamagic rod of quicken.

So is this as crazy good as it looks? 2 spells a round? every round?

Rubik
2014-05-06, 07:31 PM
So is this as crazy good as it looks? 2 spells a round? every round?For three rounds only.

If you can access anything in the SRD, look up the psychoactive skin of proteus. It's worth any 10 other items (Wishes and spellbooks aside).

Svata
2014-05-06, 07:39 PM
Candle of Invocation

But seriously, if you don't get a spellbook, get that. If you do, a headband of intellect is never a bad idea.

Rubik
2014-05-06, 07:42 PM
But seriously, if you don't get a spellbook, get that. If you do, a headband of intellect is never a bad idea.If a skin of proteus is too powerful and scroll of PAO is too cheesy, this is the next best option.

Assuming a spellbook is a given, anyhoo.

The scroll is still better, overall (dispellings notwithstanding), and it's cheaper, too!

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-06, 09:01 PM
Boccob's Blessed Book

Yeah, this.

atomicwaffle
2014-05-06, 09:09 PM
came here to say: Boccob's Blessed Book

zingbobco000
2014-05-06, 11:23 PM
Assuming artifacts: Either boccob's blessed book, or staff of the magi.

Non-artifacts: Ring of three wishes, using those wishes get: Greater Metamagic Rod of Quicken, other stuff.

Rubik
2014-05-06, 11:32 PM
Non-artifacts: Ring of three wishes, using those wishes get: Greater Metamagic Rod of Quicken, other stuff.#2. Psychoactive Skin of Proteus.

#3. Unused Ring of Three Wishes

Hamste
2014-05-07, 05:27 AM
Apparatus of Kwalish. It is fun and worst comes the worst you sell it at the nearest town and spend the 45k on crafting all those other items people are suggesting. Though if you are just going to sell it, go for a mirror of life trapping as it is worth a lot more (of course that is anything but minor)

zingbobco000
2014-05-07, 09:32 AM
#2. Psychoactive Skin of Proteus.

#3. Unused Ring of Three Wishes

Ring of three Wishes can't be bought again, niether can skin of proteus. Only things that are 25,000 or below.

John Longarrow
2014-05-07, 09:50 AM
Portable Hole.

Too many ways to abuse.

Item to make as soon as you can would be a magic horseshoe that casts MOUNT at will.

Rubik
2014-05-07, 10:21 AM
Ring of three Wishes can't be bought again, niether can skin of proteus. Only things that are 25,000 or below.Neither of those is a nonmagical item, so yes, you can, so long as your first ring has enough XP in it (easy, for a ring made by a Supernatural Wish).

Chronos
2014-05-07, 10:27 AM
Boccob's Blessed Book isn't an artifact. It's just a spellbook with a magically-large capacity, and is a standard item for mid-level wizards.

ericgrau
2014-05-07, 10:33 AM
Big bar of gold too but lots of little items. It does annoy me when DMs give out few items, since lots of little items are way better in D&D. But you're a wizard so you'll manage with less magical goodies.

Hands down I'd get a staff with moar spells, as powerful as the DM will allow. Don't worry about running out of charges. In practice it almost never happens since D&D has incredibly few important rounds per level up. In fact if you can make spells cost more than 2 charges to keep the staff cost down then make them use as many charges as allowed (up to ~5). Unless it's super low level compared to the other spells, and even then it should cost only a little less. Good staff spells are anything spammable such as wall of force, solid fog, [empowered] fireball, etc. An example of a great spell that's bad on a staff is haste since you cast it only once and may as well prepare it every day. An example of a spell that's often mediocre to prepare yet great on a staff is stoneskin. Because a lot of days you might not be able to use it due to short duration so it wastes 1 or more prepared spells, but when you do use it you might want to cast it 4 times to ward the whole party before charging into a dungeon. With a staff you have as many or as few as you need, even zero without wasting any prepared spells nor charges.

If you're only allowed something minor then I'd get marvelous pigments to paint all the mundane items you could ever want.

Deaxsa
2014-05-07, 10:40 AM
I think another, very relevant, question would be: how easy would it be to obtain MORE magic items?

Also, can the blessed book be found with spells already in it?

EDIT: another idea for starting items is some sort of golem or colossus at your side.

zingbobco000
2014-05-07, 11:14 AM
Boccob's Blessed Book isn't an artifact. It's just a spellbook with a magically-large capacity, and is a standard item for mid-level wizards.

Yeah, whoops.

Neither of those is a nonmagical item, so yes, you can, so long as your first ring has enough XP in it (easy, for a ring made by a Supernatural Wish).

Oh yeah, whoops. In that case, just get 3 unused rings of three wishes and then you basically have infinite wishes.

Rubik
2014-05-07, 11:17 AM
I think another, very relevant, question would be: how easy would it be to obtain MORE magic items?

Also, can the blessed book be found with spells already in it?

EDIT: another idea for starting items is some sort of golem or colossus at your side.A rod of construct control (A&EG) would net you as many golems as you want, and it's MUCH cheaper. Too bad it's not in Core.

Urpriest
2014-05-07, 12:55 PM
A serious answer would depend on how your DM is modifying your stats to compensate for the lower number of items. Then we could figure out what still needs coverage.

Socksy
2014-05-07, 01:15 PM
Spellbook, of course!

If that's a given... Scroll of (Limited) Wish. Wish for Shards of Diplomacy and Sense Motive +10 and a scroll of Planar Binding. Efreeti time!

If you can't have that... Can't go wrong with a wand of sonic-type Fireball crafted by an archmage with the thingy which lets you change energy types. Barely anything is immune to sonic.

Sith_Happens
2014-05-07, 03:40 PM
1. Get Mirror of Life Trapping.
2. Find rich people with low Will saves.
3. Profit.

Rubik
2014-05-07, 03:43 PM
How about a mirror of opposition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse)? Then start selling off the clones of your party mates' gear.

Grayson01
2014-05-07, 05:13 PM

Best: Rod of Wonder

second rod of wonder

Rubik
2014-05-07, 05:17 PM
second rod of wonderWhy would you want a second one when the first is already defective?

One Step Two
2014-05-07, 05:27 PM
If your spellbook is a given commodity, I cannot recommend the Mirror Of Mental Prowess enough. You do need a bag of holding to carry it around. But it is the penultimate scry-and-die device.

Rubik
2014-05-07, 05:35 PM
If your spellbook is a given commodity, I cannot recommend the Mirror Of Mental Prowess enough. You do need a bag of holding to carry it around. But it is the penultimate scry-and-die device.If that's the penultimate one, what's the ultimate one?

dascarletm
2014-05-07, 06:30 PM
If that's the penultimate one, what's the ultimate one?

Two Mirrors

Spuddles
2014-05-08, 02:15 PM
A serious answer would depend on how your DM is modifying your stats to compensate for the lower number of items. Then we could figure out what still needs coverage.

Youre an internet wizard; they dont need itemses.

zingbobco000
2014-05-08, 03:49 PM
1. Get Mirror of Life Trapping.
2. Find rich people with low Will saves.
3. Profit.

So I'm assuming you mean the majority (not all just a stereotype, not actually true [I hope]) of rich people

Endarire
2014-05-08, 04:24 PM
If your GM goes for one item from the SRD, can you take a single epic item? Even if you don't use it on its own, selling it (assuming you could get about market value for it) would grant your party (and you!) enough cash to compensate for the loss of cash.

Alternatively, Boccob's Blessed Book with every Wizard spell allowed already inscribed in it that also grants +6 to all stats, +5 to all saves, +30 to all skills, and that functions as a Staff of the Magi. (I know I'm stretching it, here.)

Even if you're relying only on your normally-granted 2 spells per Wizard level, using planar binding spells (including lesser planar binding at this level) is, by RAW, enough to get you some long-term allies, many of which can cast spells. If you start with the Scribe Scroll feat, you could work together with an Outsider or an Elemental who could cast spells or SLAs from the Wizard list and transcribe them as scrolls for you to add to your spellbook.

Ansem
2014-05-08, 05:41 PM
Ancestral Relic Staff.

One Step Two
2014-05-08, 05:58 PM
If that's the penultimate one, what's the ultimate one?

A custom made one, of course. The Mirror of Mental Prowess is already an impressive piece of magic, but I am more than sure that some other brilliant/twisted mind can invent something better for scry-and-die tactics.

Lightlawbliss
2014-05-08, 06:15 PM
why has nobody said item of wish miracle on command yet?

Deaxsa
2014-05-08, 07:24 PM
Ancestral Relic Staff.

this isn't core, though. otherwise, i totally agree: and an arbitrarily expensive one, too, this item would put the blessed book to shame.

I'm assuming you can't do custom items.

zingbobco000
2014-05-08, 08:57 PM

Because a ring of three wishes is a wish on command.