PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce Arcane Spell Failure Chances

WolfLordBran
2014-05-06, 05:37 PM
Alright, for an eventually upcoming lv 15 game I'm looking at doing a Wizard x/Pale Master y character and having the exoskeleton undead armor. Even with the Pale Master's 20% reduction of ASFC with undead armor, I'm trying to find a way to get that last 5% away. I'm not as familiar with 3.5 as I am with 4e so if there are any ways to get rid of it, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-06, 05:42 PM
I'm not all that informed about the exoskeleton armor, but if you can enchant it, Twilight is a +1 bonus that reduces ASF by 10%

WolfLordBran
2014-05-06, 05:55 PM
According to Libris Mortis and I doth quote for sake of completeness

"Exoskeleton: This armor is prepared from an undead skeleton.
The armor essentially covers your upper body with a rib
structure, providing protection equal to that of a +2 breastplate
and granting damage reduction 5/bludgeoning.
Faint necromancy; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor,
Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, animate dead; Price 49,500 gp;
Weight 30 lb."

So that would mean it is already enchanted.

Also, i prolly should mention, this game has a "no metal gear" rule. its sposed to be something explained in game. I'm not gonna argue against it but that means no mithral or other special metal types.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-06, 06:32 PM
Quite the pricey armor, seeing as the damage reduction 5/bludgeoning is apparently worth +5 worth of bonuses.

Oh, wait. There is an updated version in MIC. +1 Breastplate with the same DR, same fluff text, but at the price of 21,350gp

Also speaking of MIC:

SPECIFIC ARMOR
AND SHIELDS
The following suits of armor and shields
are usually constructed with exactly
the properties described here. You can
increase the enhancement bonus of these
armors and shields or add more special
properties, just as you would for any
other item

nedz
2014-05-06, 07:02 PM
I looked at the Battle Caster feat ( Complete Arcane, p75) but that uses a different mechanic to Pale Master.

Is the undead armor Light, Medium or Heavy ?

WolfLordBran
2014-05-06, 08:21 PM
It's medium armor, since it says it works as a +2 breastplate.

Darrin
2014-05-06, 08:22 PM
Thistledown padding (RotW) might get you the last -5%. Otherwise, Feycraft or Githcraft (DMGII) should work.

Gildedragon
2014-05-06, 08:51 PM
But how does one make this classfeature armor fey/githcraft? Fairybones? Dryad bits? the bones of githyanki that got too high level?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-06, 09:14 PM
But how does one make this classfeature armor fey/githcraft? Fairybones? Dryad bits? the bones of githyanki that got too high level?

Not a class-based armor like the bone knight's, it is a class feature that addresses armor written in the book (Exoskeleton from The Book of Bad Latin, latter printed in the MIC, being the specific one the OP wants) made from the undead.

Deaxsa
2014-05-06, 11:48 PM
DMG II, Feycraft or githcraft. feycraft Reduces hardness/hp (which does not matter for worn armor), reduces weight, reduces ASF by 5%, and gives +1 bluff when speaking. Githcraft just reduces ASF by 5% and gives like, +1 concentration when casting defensively (?)

Cloud
2014-05-07, 01:42 AM
Use the reprint of Exoskeleton Armor in Magic Item Compendium, and add the Twilight special ability to it.

The Magic Item Compendium version is only +1, but is still a breastplate with the same DR property, at the new lower cost of 21,350 gold.

Making it twilight would reduce it's spell failure to 15% (so Palemaster will handle it), and make it only cost 24,350 gold. If you wanted to restore it back to being a +2 armor like the Libris Mortis version with twilight, that would make the final price 29,350 gold.

Gildedragon
2014-05-07, 03:11 AM
The "caster armor" option from DR 358 reduces ASF by about 5 and costs less than 1k and is mundane.