PDA

View Full Version : Trap Refining

plaugebearer
2014-05-06, 08:20 PM
I was attempting to room where the ceiling was covered in spikes and there were handlebars on the floor and walls similar to a monkey bar setup. The room would have a permanent Reverse Gravity spell place on it by the god the created this dungeon of trails. However in my campaign several of the characters are able to fly which would negate the whole aspect of the failing to the ceiling. In order to counter-act their flying for just this one room I had a plan. There was going to be another permanent spell which kept Windstorm or greater winds active at all times in the room. However one of the characters in my group just picked up the control winds spell. Knowing that this guy plays D&D at a very low level of understanding I imagine that this room would be the only time he ever uses that spell. That being said I would hate to just state well sorry your magic is not strong enough to control that put here by the god that created it. So is there another option I could use that would keep them from flying and keep the wind so he has to use the spell and they have to deal with not flying in just this one room?

On a side I am also not sure what is the right speed to use to keep a medium creature from flying while still making it possible for characters to climb the monkey bars and work their way across. Also not sure what checks they would need to monkey bar across a pit in winds.

OldTrees1
2014-05-06, 10:26 PM
I have found the easiest way to refine traps is not to waste time trying to negate PC abilities merely to make a trap work. Instead I use such traps as decoration while I place other traps as actual challenges. This allows the flying fighter to feel really good with how their flight allowed them to bypass the trap. Right before they run into a real trap.