PDA

View Full Version : Saving against friendly Su abilities [PF]

Suddo
2014-05-06, 10:13 PM
So we just had an interesting discussion during our game. Our Oracle tried to cheat during an Arena match by Life Linking (Life Oracle Revelation) onto our Barbarian (the one in combat). Use of magic was forbidden. The DM said there was no save allowed (we rolled one and she failed so it didn't matter much) and that it was detectable like magic. So my question is does someone get a save on life link?

VoxRationis
2014-05-06, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure if they changed this in Pathfinder, but in 3.5 a lot of those "harmless" spells can be automatically resisted if the target is unwilling.

grarrrg
2014-05-06, 11:13 PM
So my question is does someone get a save on life link?

No. They don't.
Supernatural (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Supernatural-Abilities-Su-)

These can't be disrupted in combat and generally don't provoke attacks of opportunity. They aren't subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or dispel magic, and don't function in antimagic areas.

Supernaturals are the lowest form of magic there is. Only an Antimagic field makes them stop working.
Also note, that you can freely Life Link opponents and they can't do anything to stop you (WHY you would want to do this is a good follow up question though...).

TuggyNE
2014-05-07, 12:18 AM
No. They don't.
Supernatural (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Supernatural-Abilities-Su-)

Supernaturals are the lowest form of magic there is. Only an Antimagic field makes them stop working.

You're correct, but not because it's Su; some Su abilities do indeed have saves, but Life Link is not one of them.

Generally it's assumed that detect magic can detect Su abilities, since those are magical despite not being spells. In such a case, a fairly easy Knowledge: Arcana or Spellcraft check should let the Oracle know that this doesn't evade detection before they try to do it, and in this case that should let them decide to do something else instead.