PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Magical Traps

Yogibear41
2014-05-07, 02:06 AM
I've seen and read alot of stuff over time that talks about the infamous use of resetting magical traps, and I have even glanced over them a bit in the DMG, but I never could actually find anything that says when/how long it takes them to actually reset. Is this listed somewhere that I have missed, or is it just not plainly stated anywhere.

tyckspoon
2014-05-07, 02:17 AM
I've seen and read alot of stuff over time that talks about the infamous use of resetting magical traps, and I have even glanced over them a bit in the DMG, but I never could actually find anything that says when/how long it takes them to actually reset. Is this listed somewhere that I have missed, or is it just not plainly stated anywhere.

They take however long the trap-builder wants/needs them to. All the construction rules have to say about it is the time frame can be anywhere from 'immediately' to whatever longer time period is desired. It's one of the more significant parts of what makes them so entirely silly, both as obstacles (Wail of the Banshee every round, forever? Sure, that's only CR 10!) and as a form of magical tool.

Yogibear41
2014-05-07, 04:16 AM
They take however long the trap-builder wants/needs them to. All the construction rules have to say about it is the time frame can be anywhere from 'immediately' to whatever longer time period is desired. It's one of the more significant parts of what makes them so entirely silly, both as obstacles (Wail of the Banshee every round, forever? Sure, that's only CR 10!) and as a form of magical tool.

Are any attack bonus's for touch attacks based on the creators attack bonus looking through the DMG I can't seem to find a rule specifically for magical traps, although I do see the Melfs acid arrow by an 18th level wizard has a +9 bonus. But the one cast/created by a 3rd level wizard has a +2 so hmmm.

Or do you simply apply the costs modifiers for mechanical traps on table 3-15 for things like that?

If you do use that table, then creating a magical trap with an incredibly low attack bonus could save you tons of money? For example a trap of cure light wounds, has to use a touch attack to damage undead, but not to heal living creatures?