PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ratfolk Optimization

Dysz
2014-05-07, 02:08 AM
I'm looking at creating a character, to start around 7 or so with a very specific concept in mind - and I want to optimize it as much as possible.

There will be another chaacter who is a ratfolk fighter/monk with a trip/teamwork feat focus, who will always be at my character's side (thus taking advantage of the ratfolk racial to share the same space and flank)

The concept my character is an inquisitor, taking the 'blade of mercy' trait (can do nonlethal damage with slashing at no penalty), the enforcer trait (can demoralize when doing non-lethal damage), and maxing intimidate values (hopefully more than making up for the size penalty). My initial plan was to do a 3 level dip into paladin (holy tactician archetype). This would let me share one of my eventual many teamwork feats. In theory I could share situational ones, and change my latest one using inquisitor, but with my ratfolk partner likely relying on the 'free' feat, I would likely just share paired opportunists so he wouldn't need to take it (as a trip build with some teamwork feats is already pretty feat starved). With Enforcer frightening on crit, I'd eventually want a keen or improved critical 18-20 weapon, so I could be criting on 30% on my hits (15-20).

Some early teamwork feats would be outflank (Another reason for crit - I would be sharing a space with my ratfolk partner most of the time), paired opportunists, and Tandem Trip -- with precise strike being a priority for picking up.
With my partner tripping all the time, and hopefully myself frightening - there should be lots of Attacks of opportunities so would be getting combat reflexes.

Being dex based, Dervish Dance was something I was considering -- but I'm really hurting for feats and I'd like to be able to use a buckler. I'm thinking an eventual Agile, keen Kukri but I can't afford a +3 weapon at level 7. With low str, agile seems more important than keen even with outflank and enforcer - but I'm not sure on that.

My Initial Thought for a build was something like this:
(rolled stats - not official though)

Str 12
Dex 19 - Level ups here
Con 15
WIS 16
INT 11
CHA 12

Traits:
Blade of Mercy (Can use slashing weapons as non-lethal w/o penalty and get +1 damage)
Magical Knack (Inquisitor + 2 Caster Level)
Serpent Runner (+2 to Demoralize)
Unsure on Flaw - maybe Pride.

Levels
Inquisitor 1 Level 1 - Weapon Finesse - Reformation Inquisition (to make intimidate Wisdom based)
Inquisitor 2 Level 2
Inquisitor 3 Level 3 - Combat Reflexes, Bonus Teamwork Feat: Paired Opportunists
Inquisitor 4 Level 4 - Increase Dex
Paladin 1 Level 5 - Enforcer
Paladin 2 Level 6
Paladin 3 Level 7 - Outflank, Bonus Teamwork Feat: Tandem Trip

Basic Gear: Darkcloth leather, Agile Kukri, Dexterity belt, Wisdom Headband, Maiden's Helm

grarrrg
2014-05-07, 09:55 AM
I heartily approve of this service and/or product.

Deaxsa
2014-05-07, 10:22 AM
Do you need to make intimidate wisdom-based if you're going paladin? Don't they have a bunch of stuff tied to Charisma? Unless you intend on taking some version of serenity too, from 3.5. Unless ratfolk have, like, a Charisma penalty or something, but you DO have a 12 for a dump stat, which is really really good.

A helm and a headband both use the crown slot, you'd need to move one to face or something to have both on your head. (Don't they? I'm like 90% sure.)

(You put your mental attributes as anything but int/wis/cha grrRrrrRrRRrr):smalltongue:

But yea, you seem to know what you're doing. Heck, i might have to steal this at some point, either the build, or the whole damn thing, Ratfolk and all.

Dysz
2014-05-07, 12:13 PM
Do you need to make intimidate wisdom-based if you're going paladin? Don't they have a bunch of stuff tied to Charisma? Unless you intend on taking some version of serenity too, from 3.5. Unless ratfolk have, like, a Charisma penalty or something, but you DO have a 12 for a dump stat, which is really really good.

A helm and a headband both use the crown slot, you'd need to move one to face or something to have both on your head. (Don't they? I'm like 90% sure.)

(You put your mental attributes as anything but int/wis/cha grrRrrrRrRRrr):smalltongue:

But yea, you seem to know what you're doing. Heck, i might have to steal this at some point, either the build, or the whole damn thing, Ratfolk and all.

Its true, Charisma helps with PAladins stuffs - but I do not plan on taking any more paladin levels, so its not really worth it to boost charisma when I really want wisdom for inquisitor things.

The stats might end up being lower - I 'rolled' them and if I actually make this character I would have to reroll the stats (4d6 drop 1 for each stat), so I want to be able to dump charisma, since lay on hands won't be getting any better.

It looks like headband and Helm are actually separate slots.