PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Chanter

Jeff the Green
2014-05-07, 02:52 AM
So I'm working on my race handbook and realize I missed the Dwarven Chanter (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061128a) as a dwarf-specific option. And I read it, and I have trouble analyzing it. It has full casting progression and the bard's chassis, so it can't be horrible, but its abilities are weird. I mean, It can apparently give a +2 bonus to almost anything, but then dazes for hours! Dwarf Lord's Wrath is awesome but impractical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical), and Counter Chant lets you dispel magic but doesn't state your effective CL. And then Trance seems to have absolutely no use.

So I'm confused, and I come to the Playground for enlightenment. Thoughts?

HammeredWharf
2014-05-07, 04:04 AM
The +2 bonus per class level can probably be abused in some ways. It is, after all, a +20 at CL 10. The other abilities are either severely underpowered (Counter Chant, which caps at +10 CL bonus) or too slow to be of any use in practice. It could be a good cohort class for the check bonus.

Gwendol
2014-05-07, 06:11 AM
The war chant looks odd. Does it stack with IC or is it a separate effect? Also, it seems to be fixed at +1, which makes it near useless for the level at which you get it (IC should give a +2 base at that time).
It looks like a wasted opportunity to me, and the fact that it didn't find its way into races of stone seems to indicate others thought the same.

Telonius
2014-05-07, 09:07 AM
It's a Morale bonus, which means it wouldn't stack. Honestly this seems more of a flavor class than anything. I suppose it could be helpful if you have a ton of minions and are cycling them out every hour or so. Maybe keep one of these guys on a slave galley to give the oarsmen a bit of an extra edge during combat.

Soothing Chant would make it a good addition to a hospital, and Healing Chant means he never has to buy another healing potion again (as long as he has a use of Bardic Music remaining).