View Full Version : Pathfinder Intimidating fighter, Pathfinder

Banaticus
2014-05-07, 03:39 AM
Half-orc
Inquisitor (Conversion inquisition) 2 - Wis to Intimidate
Cavalier (Order of the Cockatrice) 2 - Dazzling Display as bonus feat, intimidate in 30' around me
Rogue (Thug) 2 for +1 round shaken (and if I beat DC by 15 or more they're frightened for 1 round)
+ the rogue talent to show my tattoos and get +2 bonus
Aldori Swordlord 2 to get Dex damage with my weapon and more intimidate from possible bonus feats.

So then is it worth it to take fighter levels to get more bonus feats, so I can get more of a competence bonus from having certain feats (from Aldori Swordlord) or should I just stick with either Inquisitor or Swordlord?

At 8th level, I'd have the following intimidate bonus:
8 ranks
3 class skill bonus
5 Wis
1 trait
1 from 2 levels of inquisitor via stern gaze class feature
1 racial class bonus (two levels of inquisitor)
2 racial bonus from being a half-orc
1 from 2 levels of aldori swordlord
2 battle mask
5 magical item skill bonus
2 rogue talent to show tattoos
+31 skill bonus

Presuming a 10 on the die, that's an average result of 41. Worst case, DC at level 8 would probably be for a 12 HD creature that's bigger than me (+4 bonus to DC), that has a Wis of 20, for a DC of 31, so I beat the DC by 10 on average. This isn't enough to make the creature frightened of me, even with the +1 round shaken from rogue, it's only shaken for 3 rounds and isn't running. I need something else to boost my result even higher. Sure, I could maybe get a higher magical skill intimidate skill item (I plan on enchanting the Battle Mask that normally gives a +2 bonus to give a much higher bonus). My feats are locked up qualifying for Aldori Swordlord. Any suggestions?

With 4 more levels of fighter, I could pick 3 bonus feats plus my 9th level and 12th level feats, for a +5 bonus to Intimidate (Aldori Swordlord, 2nd level). Meanwhile, creatures are likely increasing their HD by 4 levels -- I barely pulled ahead by one point. After this I could go back to Inquisitor and with the orc racial bonus I'd at least keep pace with HD as I leveled. And even though I could get most things to have a -2 penalty on attacks, many things to run in fear for 1 round, I still don't see a way to panic anyone (make the drop what they're holding when they run) or get any additional bonuses other than what's basically +2 to my AC.

I have a trait that lets me intimidate vermin and animals, which is kind of strange because I thought intimidate just worked on "opponents". Is there anything else that I should watch for, anything else that intimidate doesn't work on (perhaps mindless creatures)? If so, is there a way to also affect them or is this something I can ignore?

Sayt
2014-05-07, 05:48 AM
If I recall, far is mind effecting, so things which are immune to that are immune to fear. Undead, Vermin, constructs and oozes are the big ones, iirc.

Banaticus
2014-05-07, 06:57 AM
I don't see anything that would let me intimidate constructs or undead then. This guy, however, can do it: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread At 3rd level a dread gets an aura that gives a -4 penalty to fear effects and "Creatures that are normally immune to fear lose that immunity while within 10 feet of a dread with this ability." Perhaps taking 3 levels of this class would help?

If a creature loses its immunity to fear, does that then make them susceptible to becoming shaken through intimidation?

Edit: I just found that class, but it doesn't quite synergize. I'm using Cha as a dump stat and running intimidation through Wisdom. That class runs most things through Cha and there's no mention of the intimidate skill anywhere, other than being on the skill list.

grarrrg
2014-05-07, 09:48 AM
Almost looks like someones been using the dipping guide...

Anywho, Intimidating Prowess feat add STR to Intimidate, but given that you want DEX to damage, I'm assuming your going easy on the STR.

Overall, I'd probably advise more Inquisitor, as between Stern Gaze and Half-Orc, you're getting +1 per level.

Der_DWSage
2014-05-07, 10:43 AM
If at all possible, I'd also recommend picking up the Sword of Mercy trait and the Enforcer feat when you can. Being able to inflict Shaken for a number of rounds equal to the damage you dealt is quite delicious.

Maybe pick up a Cruel weapon in addition, so you can add Sickened to Shaken, for a -4 to most everything they do. Be a no-save debuffer!

Vaz
2014-05-07, 04:05 PM
Cornugon Smash? Only just seen that in a recent build at minmax. I'm not sure otherwise how good or effective it is.