PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rules lite with equipment and resources?

squiggit
2014-05-07, 10:08 AM
I've been looking to run a game with a lightweight system and part of the campaign focuses heavily on buying and selling things and upgrading their capabilities. My go to systems for this like FATE though don't track stuff like that as well as I'd like and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion for an alternate idea.

Garimeth
2014-05-07, 11:13 AM
Why not just copy and paste stuff over from another rules heavy game in the same genre as the setting you want to run? So if Fantasy, then something from 3.5 etc. Then you can still play your game with the system you know and like, but still have the buy/sell resources you need.

What kind of upgrading?

Eisenheim
2014-05-07, 11:30 AM
Do you have the FATE system toolkit? that has some interesting suggestions for how to include weapons and armor as extras. Do you want buying and selling to happen mostly in the background, as it usually does in D&D, with the focus being on the improved capabilities that new gear brings? If that's the case, you can mostly use fate, probably implementing the wealth stress idea from the core book to represent being tapped out after the PCs buy something nice. the focus here needs to be on building a set of extras, acquired via wealth, that appropriately model the improved capacities you want the PCs to get. The toolkit should give you a good starting place.

If you want a focus on the actual business of buying and selling, you can run all sorts of interesting challenges around finding the right merchant and then negotiating good deals.

TL/DR: don't give up on fate, especially if you can get the system toolkit.