PDA

View Full Version : Armor spikes and charging

Linic
2014-05-07, 11:02 AM
A player of mine asked me if wearing spiked armor while bull-rush/charging caused extra damage without the need of feats, extra actions etc etc? Now we both know of the subpar Blood-Spiked Charger feat and agree while it sort of covers what hes talking about, just not well enough to justify 2 feats spent just on weapon focus alone and yes we are both familiar with the enemy paste making dungeoncrasher fighter acf, but His pov is, again without the need of feats, extra shenanigans etc, if he slams you into a wall, wearing spiked armor by virtue of logic alone should innately cause extra damage. While I want to say it does, D&D has proven to me time and again that the first rule of D&D is screw logic this is D&D! I would normally look further into it myself, but we're both traveling right now and won't have access to our books for a day or 2.

So I beseech you, players of the hallowed ground, bestow upon me the knowledge of the ancients!

Curmudgeon
2014-05-07, 11:19 AM
If you use armor spikes as your attacking weapon in the Charge, they get the standard +2 bonus to your attack roll. Unless you've got some special ability (feat, class feature, or whatever) there's no special benefit to wearing armor spikes on a Charge. They only have special treatment for Grapples.

torrasque666
2014-05-07, 11:59 AM
Warforged Juggernauts get Superior Bull Rush at level 3, which deals armor spike damage, as well as the damage from Powerful Charge/Greater Powerful Charge.

Anxe
2014-05-07, 03:40 PM
It's rarely come up but I have a houserule that bull rushing into a wall deals 1d6 damage per 10 feet you would've gone past the wall (rounded up). You could add the armor spikes into that or make it per 5 feet past the wall or something.

I think all the RAW things have already been mentioned though.

Necroticplague
2014-05-07, 04:02 PM
I don't really see any reason armor spikes would cause more damage on a charge. Unless you hug people while you charge them, when would they come into contact with the spikes on your torso? Even during a bull-rush, it wouldn't make much sense unless the spikes are on your shoulder or upper arm. And even then, they would have to be impracticality long to even scratch the other dude.