PDA

View Full Version : PSP or DS? Which shoud I buy?

DArKandEViL
2007-02-11, 11:04 PM
I have about $210 burning a hole in my pocket. My thought are to get something portable for on the go. if i get the DS, my sights are on Final Fantasy III, but the PSP has many features that can sway my choice. My favorite types of games are rpgs. Which one do you think I should get? (How do you make a poll?:smallfrown:)

rabish12
2007-02-12, 12:05 AM
I have about $210 burning a hole in my pocket. My thought are to get something portable for on the go. if i get the DS, my sights are on Final Fantasy III, but the PSP has many features that can sway my choice. My favorite types of games are rpgs. Which one do you think I should get?
Kinda depends. As far as commercially sold games are concerned, the DS seems to have a rather clear advantage. That's not to say that the PSP doesn't have some nice games, of course, but many of the games are lesser ports of titles available on the PS2 (and, in many cases, available on the Xbox as well). In any case, it doesn't seem to have a library that offers more than DS does, especially since GBA games work on the DS (which should be a big feature for you, as you're apparently interested in the FF series and the GBA has Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy IV, and Final Fantasy VI). DS will also have Dragon Quest IX as an exclusive, which is always an incentive if you like JRPGs.

But then, the PSP has its advantages. It provides a competent media player out-of-the-box, something that the DS doesn't do, and it's much easier to get homebrew software (things like freeware games) on it. And while the library may not be as good as the DS's, it does have some good titles and more on the way (most notably, a 3D remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood that includes the original AND Symphony of the Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8-mX9BXujc) and an updated version of Final Fantasy Tactics, the original being quite probably the greatest game in the series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5q72vO3AY)).

So... yeah. It kind of depends on what you're more interested in. If you really want something specifically for gaming then just get the DS, but if you want something that's good for general entertainment purposes and still offers some gaming capabilities then the PSP's a good call.

starwoof
2007-02-12, 12:17 AM
DS. That is, if you like games. The PSP is dead as a gaming system, plus its bloody expensive. FF3 is a bloody brilliant game.

Short Fanboy-rant:

If you have morals, buy a DS. Nintendo fashions each one with love over the course of a year with sunbeams forged with children's laughter. Sony makes PSPs out of orphan souls and hellfire. Everytime you buy one sony sacrifices a kitten! Think of the kittens man!

rabish12
2007-02-12, 12:58 AM
The PSP is dead as a gaming system
Again, Rondo of Blood and FFT. Both of those are huge, especially the former. Rondo's supposed to be one of the best games in the CV series (if not THE best) and has never been available outside of Japan, so offering a 3D remake, the original translated into English, and Symphony of the Night in one game is pretty huge. And on top of those two, there are other major titles coming to it, like Crisis Core (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkOQ_ura0A&mode=related&search=).

It may not be doing as well as the DS is in terms of games, but the whole perception that it's "dead" as a gaming system is a little silly.

Reinforcements
2007-02-12, 01:06 AM
The PSP is dead as a media player, though. Unless I was misinformed as a Suncoast employee they're not even making more UMD movies. Even if I'm wrong it was still a colossal failure - shockingly, most people don't want to pay $30 for a movie they can only play on a 4-inch screen.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-12, 01:18 AM
The DS has a far wider and on-average better selection of games. It's also by far the superior platform for RPG fanboys like myself. However, the PSP has a few incredibly fun-sounding games like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and the upcoming, aforementioned FFT and Castlevania games. Although FFT's not PSP-exclusive, per se. The DS is also by far the less expensive.

As for the PSP's media-player capabilities...yeah. Those shouldn't be a factor in your decision, for the reasons given by Reinforcements.

RoboticSheeple
2007-02-12, 01:31 AM
this is a joke right? you only have $210, you can't afford a PSP (include sales tax). Luckily the DS is a far better gaming system anyway (see above posts).

edit: oh one thing about the above posts. The PSP is never a good call.

rabish12
2007-02-12, 01:54 AM
The PSP is dead as a media player, though. Unless I was misinformed as a Suncoast employee they're not even making more UMD movies. Even if I'm wrong it was still a colossal failure - shockingly, most people don't want to pay $30 for a movie they can only play on a 4-inch screen.
Yeah, since UMDs are doing so poorly that means that it's dead as a media player. I mean, it's not like it can play music and video files or view pictures from a memory stick, right?

*sigh*

Oh, and by the way, some studios do still make UMD movies. Support for them has dropped and several stores (including Wal-Mart) no longer sell them, but they exist.

DArKandEViL
2007-02-12, 07:39 AM
this is a joke right? you only have $210, you can't afford a PSP (include sales tax). Luckily the DS is a far better gaming system anyway (see above posts).

edit: oh one thing about the above posts. The PSP is never a good call.

If I can't get it I will be able to very, very soon. Happy Chinese New Year:smallamused:

Jibar
2007-02-12, 08:02 AM
Sorry, but this is what I see as a games consumer;
DS; genuine attempt to bring some innovation to gaming.
PSP; poor attempt to cash in on handheld gaming

Buying films as UMDs was a horrible idea to start off, and it was executed poorly.
Being able to play video, music and view pictures isn't exactly a saving grace. Ipods can do all that as well which, and to my knowledge, is cheaper and has better games.
When I heard about Liberty Stories, I thought that may help promote it. A couple months later I saw the game on PS2.
I also don't understand putting Tactics on the PSP. They'd never put in those fancy cutscenes, they're just for trailers. The GBA had Tactics Advance anyway, plus the Duel Screens could also work well with a tactics game. It seems like a Do or Die attempt to me.
Yeah, go with a DS. PSPs gonna fail soon anyway. Just look at Sony's other video game exploits. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10)

Logic
2007-02-12, 09:28 AM
There are non-sanctioned peripherals for the DS that can replicate nearly all the functions of the PSP.
Most of these devices run about $100 (US currency)
The one I personally plan to buy makes the DS a music player and stores DS games that can be downloaded (no more carrying all those cartridges around.)

Arlanthe
2007-02-12, 09:40 AM
Sorry, but this is what I see as a games consumer;
DS; genuine attempt to bring some innovation to gaming.
PSP; poor attempt to cash in on handheld gaming

PSPs gonna fail soon anyway. Just look at Sony's other video game exploits. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10)

There you go. Couldn't agree more.

Plus, if you're a retro gamer you can get all kinds of neat revamped SNES games on DS.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-12, 09:43 AM
DS.

For I am a Nintendo fanboy. And the thumb stick on the PSP is uncomfortable and unresponsive.

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-12, 10:04 AM
I've managed to resist the urge to splash out on either console, I'm certainly still happy with my GBA.

But in the end, the decision should be purely based upon games. When most mobile phones will do the same thing, buying a "media station" is not a viable reason for purchasing the PSP. If there are no games that excite you on either console then just don't buy one. If you feel that you have to buy one though, I'd certainly get the DS.

rabish12
2007-02-12, 01:32 PM
Being able to play video, music and view pictures isn't exactly a saving grace. Ipods can do all that as well which, and to my knowledge, is cheaper and has better games.
Wrong. Very wrong. The cheaper video iPod is $249 and has a considerably smaller screen, and the games for it (mostly things like Bejeweled and Break-Out clones) aren't even close to some of the stuff you can get on the PSP (not to mention that, technically, you can get clones of similar quality as homebrew).

I also don't understand putting Tactics on the PSP. They'd never put in those fancy cutscenes, they're just for trailers.
Wrong again. Those cutscenes are going to be in the actual game, and they'll also include an updated soundtrack and a number of new characters, as well as a couple of new classes.

The GBA had Tactics Advance anyway, plus the Duel Screens could also work well with a tactics game.
Tactics Advance is horrible compared to the original, and I don't really see any way that the FFT series could benefit from dual screens. The maps aren't large enough for the extra screen to be used as a map, the menus are always pop-up and never need to be displayed on a separate screen, and aside from those I can't really think of anything the extra screen could be used for that wouldn't be totally superfluous.

Yeah, go with a DS. PSPs gonna fail soon anyway. Just look at Sony's other video game exploits. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10)
Yeah, those other systems definitely make it seem like the PSP's going to fail. I mean, the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 both managed to sell in excess of 100 million units and are the best-selling consoles of all time, and the PS3's managed to push 1.3 million units within three months despite a $499-$599 price tag, which certainly spells failure for anything they might attempt. And, of course, the PSP's own worldwide shipments of nearly 25 million don't factor into it at all.

There are non-sanctioned peripherals for the DS that can replicate nearly all the functions of the PSP.
Most of these devices run about $100 (US currency)
The one I personally plan to buy makes the DS a music player and stores DS games that can be downloaded (no more carrying all those cartridges around.)
I'm aware of that. However, buying one of those skews the price advantage in the PSP's favor before you include shipping (as you generally have to purchase them online) and they usually aren't nearly as capable as far as playing video is concerned. They also allow for homebrew on the DS, but the DS's homebrew community hasn't thrived nearly as much as the PSP's.

Jibar
2007-02-12, 01:44 PM
Okay,
First, that was a joke about the games. I know for a fact that my friend got an MP3 player cheaper than a PSP that can do all that though, I just thought iPods were cheaper. Might be England, I dunno.
Second, memories come flooding to me...something about FF7...motorbike...actual graphics...part of the game...it's all rather hazy, but I get the distinct impression that it's a bad memory.
Third, I played Advance and enjoyed it. I can't think of any way it could benefit other than what you've mentioned either, but Nintendo and Square are clever gents, they'd come up with something that would amaze us.
Fourth, look at what they did with the PS3. Something so simple as a couple upgrades and continued third party support should not turn into such a huge flop. If they can't handle a generation jump, how do you think they can continue supporting the PSP adequetly?
Fifth, I believe we can safely assume you have one then and can come under the title of Sony Fanboy. No regular gamer would ever defend them so wholeheartedly. I dare say though, you've got some spirit.
Sixth, note to self, stop trying to spell memory as memorary and find out how to spell adequetly.

theKOT
2007-02-12, 01:54 PM
Nintendo fanboys own these forums, apparantly. I am included, btw. Never owned a non-nintendo system.

Get a DS though. It has a much larger library of good games, and it should only get larger as nintendo's market share grows. In Japan they reimport dses from the US, but they are still sold out.

Dihan
2007-02-12, 02:22 PM
Remember: Touching is good.

Go for DS.

rabish12
2007-02-12, 02:30 PM
First, that was a joke about the games. I know for a fact that my friend got an MP3 player cheaper than a PSP that can do all that though, I just thought iPods were cheaper. Might be England, I dunno.
Might be. I know that they're around $50 more expensive in the US though.

Second, memories come flooding to me...something about FF7...motorbike...actual graphics...part of the game...it's all rather hazy, but I get the distinct impression that it's a bad memory.
Actually, I don't think they did that with FFVII. I know that they did it with FFVIII, but that doesn't really parallel this (where their claims are limited to saying that it'll have those visuals in cutscenes, something that makes sense given that they've added 3D cutscenes to several of their older FF titles in recent years).

Third, I played Advance and enjoyed it.
My point isn't that it's bad so much as that it's bad compared to Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't really mind the game, but the computer takes much longer to do anything, the battles aren't nearly complex (in fact, the overall gameplay isn't), and the story is a massive step back from the near-Shakespearean plot they had for the original.

Fourth, look at what they did with the PS3. Something so simple as a couple upgrades and continued third party support should not turn into such a huge flop.
Again, managing to push over 1.3 million units in less than 3 months when your system is $499, over $100 more expensive than your most expensive competitor, is far from flopping.

If they can't handle a generation jump, how do you think they can continue supporting the PSP adequetly?
Better question: if they've managed to move nearly 25 million PSPs thus far, how do you think they're going to suddenly start failing to support the system adequately?

Fifth, I believe we can safely assume you have one then and can come under the title of Sony Fanboy. No regular gamer would ever defend them so wholeheartedly. I dare say though, you've got some spirit.
Three false assumptions there. The first two are that I'm a Sony fanboy and own a PSP. I don't. In fact, I own most versions of nearly every Nintendo handheld (I'm only missing the GBA SP, the Micro, and the DS and DS Lite, though my sister has a DS), and I always end up getting Sony's consoles last (I only got a PlayStation in 2000 or so, and I got a PS2 in September). I also don't like how they're handling the PS3, because of their terrible marketing for the system, the incredible arrogance of their executives, and the absolute idiocy of trying to sell the damn thing at $599. This gen I ended up getting a Wii in January, will get a 360 when the system's backwards compatibility is fixed so that the 12 or 13 games I have that don't work on it will run, and don't intend to buy a PS3 until it's at the most the price of the Wii right now (suffice it to say that I'll be waiting a while). So... yeah. Not a Sony fanboy.

The last false assumption is that I'm what you might call a "regular gamer". I'm not. Most regular gamers don't check a number of game-related news blogs several times daily to keep up-to-date with the industry, don't root through fanboy-infested forums (not these ones) on occasion just to find tiny nuggets of useful and unbiased information, don't collect vintage and new games, don't spend their free time actually analyzing several aspects of the industry just for the heck of it, and don't play for twelve hours straight on a regular basis.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-12, 02:34 PM
Selling 1.3 million out of 25 million units doesn't sound like a rousing success to me. But to address the OP's question, PSP has some good games ( Socom and Daxter), and is coming out with some good games (Final Fantasy Tactics and Castevania: Rondo of Blood). However, none of these are RPG's. Honestly, the GBA probably has the most quality RPG's out there (Golden Sun, practically every single popular NES or SNES RPG). Since the DS can play all these, you should probably stick with it if you want good RPG's.

rabish12
2007-02-12, 02:42 PM
Selling 1.3 million out of 25 million units doesn't sound like a rousing success to me.
No, you're misreading it. The PS3, the console, has shipped over 1.3 million, and the PSP, the handheld, has shipped nearly 25 million. Of course, shipped and sold aren't generally the same, but the gap shouldn't be too big (I know for a fact that Sony's sold over a million PS3s, and the PSP has been out too long for most of those 25 million to be sitting on store shelves).

But to address the OP's question, PSP has some good games ( Socom and Daxter), and is coming out with some good games (Final Fantasy Tactics and Castevania: Rondo of Blood). However, none of these are RPG's.
FFT kind of is, and the same applies to Crisis Core. Also, I'm pretty sure there are other major RPGs (I know that there's a version of Oblivion in development for it, at least), and there are already a couple of big ones coming to it (like Valkyrie Profile). Certainly not as good as the DS, which is getting DQIX and FFIII, but still good enough.

Pirata
2007-02-12, 02:51 PM
With an additional $50 (plus a micro sd card) the DS have all functions that a PSP has using a third party accessory (google M3 Simply). Also, the DS has a larger, more genre wide and much richer library of games.

PSP has some nice games, but ultimately fail as a portable gaming device. PSP is more like a very small PS2, with downgraded versions of games and a much more limited library. Meaning that PSP has mostly only console type games and remakes, not portable-on-the-go type games that floods the DS.

In the RPG department, the edge is on the DS side, even if slightly, simply because of the already launched FFIII, Mario e Luigi 2, Contact, among others and the planned to launch soon Dragon Quest IX, FFTA2 (much probably a DS game, although not yet officially announced for the console), Pokémon D/P (if you like pokémon, that is), ASH (from Mistwalker), and a rumor of a Blue Dragon (also from Mistwalker) installment on the portable.

The question you should ask yourself which to buy is simple. You want a mini console/gadget with lot's of remakes/ports and 1 or 2 original games or you want a portable gaming device with innovative gameplay, on-the-go games, some nice remakes and tons of original games? By answering yes to the former you want a PSP, by answering yes to the latter you want a DS.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-02-12, 06:58 PM
I myself have a PSP and I don't regret the choice of getting one.

Still, I'd recommend getting a DS if this is an either/or decision.

UMD as a media device is more or less dead, yes. I didn't have a lot of hopes for it in the first place. UMD movies could only be played by a PSP and had fewer special features than a standard DVD. Why would I buy a movie on UMD when I could get it on DVD? If it's not dead as a movie device, it's on life support.

That said, as a music player I like it better than the iPod. It's much easier to manage. I just move MP3s into the appropriate folder. I don't need to download a program just to transfer music onto my PSP. That's nice. In fact, it's awesome. So movies bad -- music good! Fire bad!

There are great titles, for PSP, and I've even got some of them. There are some poor titles, and some mediocre ones that are fun all the same. It's a good system, and I use it weekly.

Still, I'm saying go for the DS. Of the two companies, Nintendo has a talent for games and gaming systems. They've been doing this for some time.

Hephaestus
2007-02-12, 08:41 PM
I own both. That's not something I take pride in saying at all...

Assuming you're going for games, DS is #1, PSP dosn't come close. I bought PSP thinking I could use it for the games the DS wouldn't have, yeah, their arn't really any that I want... GTA; not a huge fan, Katamari; controls, my god, I couldn't move or see anything! I went and got a nice half gigabyte memory stick for it an I just use it as a palm pilot (Schedualing/music/pics) with a homebrew calendar program I found somewhere and downloaded.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-02-12, 09:40 PM
If you like RPGs i'd say the DS because on it you can (or will be able to) play FF 1, 2 (GBA), 3 (DS), 4+5 (GBA) and the castlevanias as well...

Dumbledore lives
2007-02-12, 10:08 PM
I have a DS and it has some awesome games, the PSP has alright games but just not that many and the ones there are are mediocre. Also I personally like Brain age which helps me get up in the morning.

Setra
2007-02-13, 03:33 AM
Until Crisis Core and FFT are on the PSP, I'd get the DS.

Seriously though the GBA is better than either.

Edit: Also, I actually usually prefer Sony to Nintendo, so don't think I'm just a Nintendo fanboy.

talsine
2007-02-14, 02:18 PM
Get an SP, most of the games they mention are GBA games, and if you include all the stuff that was release for the origona GB systems (not compatible with the DS) it blows both of them away. Of course, i think they DS is gimiky and is forcing portable gaming in a direction i'd rather not go (sorry your screen is all scratched up and busted, your going ot have to buy a new one now!), but i'm also unhappy with nintendo in general. I never forgave them for the N64, the Cube had exactly no games i was interested in and the Wii, outside of Duck Hunt 2, is looking about the same.

Pirata
2007-02-14, 03:17 PM
Of course, i think they DS is gimiky and is forcing portable gaming in a direction i'd rather not go (sorry your screen is all scratched up and busted, your going ot have to buy a new one now!),

Funny. My DS lite is clocking now 10 months of very heavy use (havier than my ps2 which also sees lot's of playtime) and hasn't a single smudge or scratch on any screen and not a single dead or stuck pixel. I already played some of the most "furious" games (Pokémon Ranger comes to mind) that made me think that I would ruin the screen, but yes, not even a little smudge remained after cleaning. You just have to clean it for time to time and that's it. Oh, also use the stylus/wrist strap fingerband and not your sweaty hands or other bizarre objects like some of my friends...

However I partially agree with you on the fact that the DS loses lot's of good things from the GB library (link's awakening and oracles :smallfrown:) but it compensates with lot's of new quality titles, launched and those on the horizon. Not that you can't emulate GB and GBC on the DS after all...

Reinforcements
2007-02-14, 03:50 PM
Until Crisis Core and FFT are on the PSP, I'd get the DS.

Seriously though the GBA is better than either.

Edit: Also, I actually usually prefer Sony to Nintendo, so don't think I'm just a Nintendo fanboy.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. The DS Lite is far and away the best portable gaming system out there. The only thing the GBA SP has on it is the ability to play the old games... which is something, but don't dismiss the DS's library. Looking at my game collection, I have more DS games than any other system, including GBA, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii.

Don't underestimate the DS's other features, either. If you have friends with DSes, the wireless multiplayer is a huge deal - not to mention that nearly every game with multiplayer can be played with only 1 game cart (usually with limited functionality, but it generally isn't too restrictive). If you have wireless internet in your house you can play with other people remotely. Even if you don't a Nintendo WiFi adapter is cheap and hot spots are numerous. Failing ANY of that, any social gathering with enough people usually sees a fair number of DSes. I really saw the DS live up to its potential this year at Otakon, where anytime I was waiting for a movie to start I could turn on my DS and get a game with anyone in the room - thanks to pictochat I didn't even have to know where they were.

Phew. Seriously, it's great.

Jibar
2007-02-15, 03:30 AM
Could somebody explain what was wrong with the N64 to me?
I loved that thing to bits. I still have mine under the bed, complete with all the games and what not.
If possible I'm gonna be buried with that thing.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-15, 03:50 AM
Could somebody explain what was wrong with the N64 to me?
I loved that thing to bits. I still have mine under the bed, complete with all the games and what not.
If possible I'm gonna be buried with that thing.

I'm thinking most people just didn't like the price of the games, considering Nintendo refused to switch to CDs. So they claim the 64 was an inferior system. Eh.

Jibar
2007-02-15, 03:53 AM
Jet Force Gemini, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Lylat Wars, Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 2...oh yeah. Inferior system.

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-15, 07:02 AM
*Drools*.....

Good times. Good times.

The classics are still the best. There was also something quite lovable about the massive cartridges, just like the mini Gamecube discs.

A lot of people would add Mario Kart 64 to that list...

RoboticSheeple
2007-02-15, 10:51 PM
:smallannoyed: O RLY?

Get an SP, most of the games they mention are GBA games, and if you include all the stuff that was release for the origona GB systems (not compatible with the DS) it blows both of them away.

The original Gameboy games show their age, the fact you're proclaiming them to be better than anything and everything on the DS shows you've clearly never played either system. Or at least not played a Gameboy game in 10 years.

Of course, i think they DS is gimiky and is forcing portable gaming in a direction i'd rather not go (sorry your screen is all scratched up and busted, your going ot have to buy a new one now!),Proof you've never played a DS is in this statement. Meteos, Trauma Center, and Advance Wars (to name a few) are excellent examples of how the touch screen is useful in gaming and not a gimmick. Moreover, the screen doesn't get scratched up to any noticeable degree. It's not the back of an iPod for God's sake.

but i'm also unhappy with nintendo in general. I never forgave them for the N64, the Cube had exactly no games i was interested in and the Wii, outside of Duck Hunt 2, is looking about the same.If you have deep seated emotional problems with Nintendo that's your own deal, but don't make up lies about their systems on the Internet to make yourself feel better, you just look foolish.

P.S. Use a spell checker in your next post.

theKOT
2007-02-15, 11:31 PM
Jet Force Gemini, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Lylat Wars, Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 2...oh yeah. Inferior system.
Really hardcore gamers complained, and still complain, that nintendo trickled out games for their systems. I really can't see it, but these people need a title every week it seems. Apparantly, 3 months with Warioware, SSX Blur, MP 8, Super Paper Mario, A promising Sonic game and a plethora of other games with promise are three thin months.

I just don't get it. I can't even finish the games I do have. Don't these people(Kotaku staff and posters) have other things to do? I mean the staff I can understand, but the posters...

rabish12
2007-02-16, 12:31 AM
The original Gameboy games show their age, the fact you're proclaiming them to be better than anything and everything on the DS shows you've clearly never played either system. Or at least not played a Gameboy game in 10 years.
Or, you know, he could be referring to the better Game Boy games. You know, the ones that actually are that good. The way you act like they don't exist seems to suggest that you haven't played too many original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games ever.

If you have deep seated emotional problems with Nintendo that's your own deal, but don't make up lies about their systems on the Internet to make yourself feel better, you just look foolish.
And if you happen to like Nintendo then that's your own deal, but don't go ballistic on the internet just because someone doesn't, you just look foolish.

Logic
2007-02-16, 09:30 AM
Rabish,
Based soley on your statments in this thread, you did appear to be a Sony Fanboy. I don't believe anyone intended it to be an insult, as I interpreted your reaction to it to be.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I have to honestly say I own more Nintendo products than any single competetor.
(Spoiler continues off topic information)
I think that the PS2 was superior to the Gamecube, and the X-box surpassed both consoles.
I think that the PS3 is more advanced than the Wii, and possibly more than the 360.
The lack of any games I currently want to buy for either Sony's or Nintendo's lastest console is what sold me on my current generation choice of the 360. I do plan to own all 3 systems provided I feasibly have the money when there are enough games on each to justify their purchase.

The handheld market is clearly dominated by Nintendo, not just in satisfied customers, but Third-Party-Support.
Fewer and fewer games each quarter are made for the PSP, but the DS continues to get games made for it (even if the titles seem to be geared to younger audiances than those of the PSP)

RoboticSheeple
2007-02-16, 10:05 AM
Or, you know, he could be referring to the better Game Boy games. You know, the ones that actually are that good. The way you act like they don't exist seems to suggest that you haven't played too many original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games ever.

I own over 60 Gameboy and GBC games (I'm just remembering off the top of my head, they are packed away for good reason). Zelda (all 4 versions or so), 6 golden coins, wario, metroid 2, and others are all great games. However, if you were to look at them now, they are old and it shows. That doesn't mean they aren't still good games, it does mean that there are enough good games that can actually be purchased (unlike GBC games that aren't being sold except on eBay) that one should get the newer system.

The DS has a strong enough library of games that it can be just fine without GBC and monochrome games.

The advice of buy a SP and play GBC and older games is like saying to someone that is looking between a ps3, 360, and wii to buy a dreamcast because there are really good games on it and new ones keep coming out (in japan...). It's unrealistic and unhelpful.

wah wah wah I can't argue a point so let's say he LOVES nintendo

well said.

this has gotten off topic enough here I think and to most reasonable people I've made my point.

Dragor
2007-02-16, 10:24 AM
Alright. Fanboy-ism aside (Yes, I'm a Nintendo fan) I'll try and weigh up the odds here. This isn't a matter of how much sold or whatever, these are pure facts. Correct me if I'm wrong, Forums are here so you can argue your bit.

PSP:

-Much more powerful than the DS
-Can get very, very hot after a long stream of gameplay.
-Joystick is a good inclusion, but hurts after long term use.
- Better media support. (Failing or not failing, its there.)
- More 'adult' games.
- No plumber in sight.

DS:

- The touch screen ingenuity. Love it or hate it, it's there.
- Cheaper.
- 'Fresh' style of games (Phoenix Wright, Nintendogs)
- Quite easy to get the hang of.
- THAT plumber.
- Backwards compatability.

Well, you may see some points as irrelevant (especially the bits about Mario, but some people genuinely hate him) and backward compataility may not matter much to you if you don't own a GBA, but I'd definetly go with the DS.

--EDIT--

I'm with the Nintendo 64 fans here. Goldeneye is still the multiplayer game of choice in my house, after...ooh, a long time of having it. It never gets old...

Reinforcements
2007-02-16, 12:51 PM
Alright. Fanboy-ism aside (Yes, I'm a Nintendo fan) I'll try and weigh up the odds here. This isn't a matter of how much sold or whatever, these are pure facts. Correct me if I'm wrong, Forums are here so you can argue your bit.

PSP:

-Much more powerful than the DS
-Can get very, very hot after a long stream of gameplay.
-Joystick is a good inclusion, but hurts after long term use.
- Better media support. (Failing or not failing, its there.)
- More 'adult' games.
- No plumber in sight.

DS:

- The touch screen ingenuity. Love it or hate it, it's there.
- Cheaper.
- 'Fresh' style of games (Phoenix Wright, Nintendogs)
- Quite easy to get the hang of.
- THAT plumber.
- Backwards compatability.

Well, you may see some points as irrelevant (especially the bits about Mario, but some people genuinely hate him) and backward compataility may not matter much to you if you don't own a GBA, but I'd definetly go with the DS.

--EDIT--

I'm with the Nintendo 64 fans here. Goldeneye is still the multiplayer game of choice in my house, after...ooh, a long time of having it. It never gets old...
People hate Mario? Who hates Mario? Also, you missed two of the biggest draws for the DS - it's much larger library of good games (and the ability to play GBA games) and, maybe most importantly, its multiplayer-ability.

Druid
2007-02-16, 03:33 PM
And, of course, the PSP's own worldwide shipments of nearly 25 million don't factor into it at all.

The DS (both versions combined) have sold 52.94 million systems world wide compared to the PSP's 24.7 million, putting the DS 28.24 million ahead in sales. When the DS has over twice as many sales as the PSP (sales, shipments, whatever) I'd say the PSP's 25 million is not that impressive.

rabish12
2007-02-16, 05:48 PM
Rabish,
Based soley on your statments in this thread, you did appear to be a Sony Fanboy. I don't believe anyone intended it to be an insult, as I interpreted your reaction to it to be.
I figured you might not mean anything by it. Still, it's really not something you should ever call someone else. At this point, the word implies ignorance to the point where someone would mindlessly devote themselves to a company and attack any who don't because of video games, which certainly isn't very good.

I own over 60 Gameboy and GBC games (I'm just remembering off the top of my head, they are packed away for good reason). Zelda (all 4 versions or so), 6 golden coins, wario, metroid 2, and others are all great games. However, if you were to look at them now, they are old and it shows. That doesn't mean they aren't still good games, it does mean that there are enough good games that can actually be purchased (unlike GBC games that aren't being sold except on eBay) that one should get the newer system.

The DS has a strong enough library of games that it can be just fine without GBC and monochrome games.

The advice of buy a SP and play GBC and older games is like saying to someone that is looking between a ps3, 360, and wii to buy a dreamcast because there are really good games on it and new ones keep coming out (in japan...). It's unrealistic and unhelpful.
Well, it is silly to tell someone to buy an SP for GB/GBC games over a DS (mainly because you can probably get a GB for around $10-$15, and a GBC likely isn't much more expensive than that), but what I'm trying to say is that there are games on the original Game Boy that have aged well. Are there as many of those as there are good games on the DS? Probably not. But that doesn't change the fact that they exist, and that some of them are better than most of the stuff you end up seeing on the DS.

well said.
1) What you've just done here, that's what we call a "strawman". I never claimed that you love Nintendo, so you're basically trying to attribute a point to me that I haven't made. I said that you like Nintendo, but that's about it.

2) I'm not trying to "argue a point". I don't want to, because I agree with most of what you said in that post.

3) You completely dodged the actual purpose of that part of my post. It's not to say "UR WRONG, HES RITE, DS SUX LOLOL". It's to say that getting all steamed up and going as far as to claim that someone is a fool solely because they don't share your opinions is... well, foolish.

The DS (both versions combined) have sold 52.94 million systems world wide compared to the PSP's 24.7 million, putting the DS 28.24 million ahead in sales. When the DS has over twice as many sales as the PSP (sales, shipments, whatever) I'd say the PSP's 25 million is not that impressive.
Well, the PSP's sales certainly aren't impressive when compared to the DS's, but that's not the point. The point is that, on their own, they are impressive. The fact that the PSP has sold about as much as the original Xbox, and more than the Gamecube, within a far smaller timespan and in a market that's been completely dominated by a single company for nearly two decades is what's impressive, and what seems to signify that it's not going to suddenly just fade away now.

Pirata
2007-02-16, 07:25 PM
Well, the PSP's sales certainly aren't impressive when compared to the DS's, but that's not the point. The point is that, on their own, they are impressive. The fact that the PSP has sold about as much as the original Xbox, and more than the Gamecube, within a far smaller timespan and in a market that's been completely dominated by a single company for nearly two decades is what's impressive, and what seems to signify that it's not going to suddenly just fade away now.

Impressive? It's impressive only if you think that the PSP is the first handheld to ever survive a battle with Nintendo for so long. Comparing PSP shipments with actual sales from XBox and Gamecube is ridiculous, because handhelds sells way more than consoles, simply because usually handhelds are bought by individual and consoles by household (an obvious fact). That's why the gameboy always outsold (and by a great margin) all home consoles through the generations.
I frankly don't see anything impressive on a product that is getting beaten up on sales by almost a 3:1 ratio (6:1 in Japan, and growing) which was heralded as the "Nintendo killer" by Sony fans and Sony themselves or a "strong contender" by the sane gamers when was about to be released. It's not a flop, but PSP is falling way short of Sony's (and non-fanboy gamers, myself included) expectations.

At least PSP is not a N-Gage... so, it could be way worse I guess...

rabish12
2007-02-16, 07:58 PM
Impressive? It's impressive only if you think that the PSP is the first handheld to ever survive a battle with Nintendo for so long. Comparing PSP shipments with actual sales from XBox and Gamecube is ridiculous, because handhelds sells way more than consoles, simply because usually handhelds are bought by individual and consoles by household (an obvious fact). That's why the gameboy always outsold (and by a great margin) all home consoles through the generations.
I frankly don't see anything impressive on a product that is getting beaten up on sales by almost a 3:1 ratio (6:1 in Japan, and growing) which was heralded as the "Nintendo killer" by Sony fans and Sony themselves or a "strong contender" by the sane gamers when was about to be released. It's not a flop, but PSP is falling way short of Sony's (and non-fanboy gamers, myself included) expectations.

At least PSP is not a N-Gage... so, it could be way worse I guess...
But again, you're just kind of saying exactly what I am. It's been totally crushed by the DS, but it has managed to hold its own against Nintendo for longer than pretty much any other handheld (Game Gear came close, I think, but that's about it), which is impressive in and of itself. And, as you yourself just stated, it's certainly not a "flop" the way many people make it out to be.

Druid
2007-02-16, 09:58 PM
Considering the market the PSP was released into I'd agree that it's done pretty well. What I'm getting at is that a system that's that far behind the competition probably won't be around that much longer.

rabish12
2007-02-16, 11:10 PM
Considering the market the PSP was released into I'd agree that it's done pretty well. What I'm getting at is that a system that's that far behind the competition probably won't be around that much longer.
Well, the Gamecube's done worse compared to the PS2 than the PSP has compared to the DS, and it was still around right up until the Wii came out (and still is, though it's not really getting any notable releases anymore).

Dragor
2007-02-17, 05:17 AM
People hate Mario? Who hates Mario? Also, you missed two of the biggest draws for the DS - it's much larger library of good games (and the ability to play GBA games) and, maybe most importantly, its multiplayer-ability.

Ah yes, I did miss those out. Thanks muchly.

Also on Mario, yes, some people actually hate him. They probably prefer Tommy Vercetti. His recent games have been all rubbish, in my opinion (I'm talking about the sport games and the neverending flow of Mario Party) but I hope SM Galaxy will get him back on his perch.

And this argument about 'Who's a fanboy' and 'What's sold more' is a bit tiresome. No offence intended, but if you want to do that, make another thread rather than fill up this one.

Setra
2007-02-17, 05:28 AM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. The DS Lite is far and away the best portable gaming system out there. The only thing the GBA SP has on it is the ability to play the old games... which is something, but don't dismiss the DS's library. Looking at my game collection, I have more DS games than any other system, including GBA, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii.

Don't underestimate the DS's other features, either. If you have friends with DSes, the wireless multiplayer is a huge deal - not to mention that nearly every game with multiplayer can be played with only 1 game cart (usually with limited functionality, but it generally isn't too restrictive). If you have wireless internet in your house you can play with other people remotely. Even if you don't a Nintendo WiFi adapter is cheap and hot spots are numerous. Failing ANY of that, any social gathering with enough people usually sees a fair number of DSes. I really saw the DS live up to its potential this year at Otakon, where anytime I was waiting for a movie to start I could turn on my DS and get a game with anyone in the room - thanks to pictochat I didn't even have to know where they were.

Phew. Seriously, it's great.
That first arguement falls short because of the simple fact I like the GB and GBC games more than I like the DS games. I'm not saying you're wrong however, just that I disagree.

On another note, could someone recommend to me some Handheld RPGs? I have all the FF games that have been released portable, and the Golden Gun games.

More on Topic: I love the 64, I just prefer the PSX over it, cause I prefer RPGs. That doesn't mean I don't love goldeneye though.

Dragor
2007-02-17, 05:42 AM
On another note, could someone recommend to me some Handheld RPGs? I have all the FF games that have been released portable, and the Golden Gun games.

The Mario & Luigi games. Hilariously funny and challenging. (In any other game have you seen Luigi disguise himself as Princess Peach and have Mario running out of the bathroom with a hastily wrapped towel around his waist?)

But seriously, they're good'uns.

Pirata
2007-02-17, 09:48 AM
Also on Mario, yes, some people actually hate him. They probably prefer Tommy Vercetti. His recent games have been all rubbish, in my opinion (I'm talking about the sport games and the neverending flow of Mario Party) but I hope SM Galaxy will get him back on his perch.

I don't know about you, but I think last year's New Super Mario Bros. was a great game. Main Mario games are surprisingly very rare if you think about it. Since 1991 we had 4 (SMW, SM64, SMS, NSMB) main Mario games, aside from remakes or collections, 5 if you count Yoshi island. Ok, we have about 76 Mario spin offs per month, but that's not the point.
I also hope that Super Mario Galaxy turns out to be a great game, since Sunshine fell very short my expectations.

About the PSP, I think it is a great disapointment a handheld that was thought to be at least a strong contender to Nintendo's supremacy before launch (or even the nail on Nintendo's coffin by some) getting beaten up this badly. That's was my point actually. Even people like me that was predicting that PSP would lose to the DS, thought that it would be a close call.

But yes, PSP will still be around, even if it is just for inferior ports of PS1/PS2 games or nice remakes... and Portable Ops.

Jibar
2007-02-18, 02:49 AM
I also hope that Super Mario Galaxy turns out to be a great game, since Sunshine fell very short my expectations.

That's another one I don't understand. Why was Sunshine a dissapointment?

Pirata
2007-02-18, 12:02 PM

Great off topic:

Don't get me wrong, Sunshine is a great game. However, to me it isn't the quantum leap that all other Mario games were before it. Sunshine tried to innovate on some aspects of gameplay, but not all of them were good, or really innovative compared to other plataformers of the same time. To me that was the dissapointment, a Mario game that I enjoyed less and saw less innovative ideas than Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank, an unacceptable scenario. Mario is supposed to be the pinnacle/avantgarde on plataforming in any given generation, and on this current dying generation, it was not.

Kinda on topic:
New Super Mario Bros. however, compensated by adding some new ideas to the good old 2D plataforming without having to resort to the great idea, yet getting old fast now, of "Metroidvaniaing" or boring pseudo rpg features as almost all other 2D plataformers of note did in the last 10 years, which to me is a great achievement.

Again, off topic:
Super Mario Galaxy is bound to be revolutionary and a new quantum leap on the plataforming genre, setting the new standard for the years to come as all other Mario games before it (except Sunshine). That's what I hope at least.

Reinforcements
2007-02-18, 02:37 PM
Kinda on topic:
New Super Mario Bros. however, compensated by adding some new ideas to the good old 2D plataforming without having to resort to the great idea, yet getting old fast now, of "Metroidvaniaing" or boring pseudo rpg features as almost all other 2D plataformers of note did in the last 10 years, which to me is a great achievement.
Not that I'd necessarily want a metroidvania Mario game, but to some degree I think this is a good thing. An interesting (and relevant!) example is Mega Man ZX, which benefits from the metroidvania aspects but suffers because it didn't go far enough. Mega Man is a series that has been seriously hamstrung, I think, by some of the conventions of the original games that it just never dropped.

Krytha
2007-02-18, 11:46 PM
Megaman X needs to be on the DS. Now.

DArKandEViL
2007-02-20, 01:15 PM
I would get the DS, if I could find one. a) They only have the pink color left in Circut Cities and Gamestops (onyx and white, the colors I want are sold out), b) I don't think I can get it online, or without it being $140>, used or going on Ebay. c) I don't think I'm gonna get to go to Nintendo World anytime soon. :smallfrown: Help!

Krytha
2007-02-20, 01:30 PM
I would get the DS, if I could find one. a) They only have the pink color left in Circut Cities and Gamestops (onyx and white, the colors I want are sold out), b) I don't think I can get it online, or without it being $140>, used or going on Ebay. c) I don't think I'm gonna get to go to Nintendo World anytime soon. :smallfrown: Help!

Now let us pray for Darkandevil, that he may obtain the DS of his choice sooner rather than later. Let us also give thanks to Shiggy; from his bosom hath sprung plentiful good, and lo! it prints money. Lead us not into temptation and away from the PSP which is an expensive UMD player.

Seriously though, couldn't you reserve one from your local EB and then pick it up at sometime in the future? Or are they still doing that dumb "if youre here when it comes in good for you" thing?

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-20, 06:53 PM

Apparently it just didn't 'feel' like a Mario game. The worlds were all water worlds or something like that.

I loved it, personally. Some people just like to whine.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-23, 10:42 PM
Tactics Advance is horrible compared to the original, and I don't really see any way that the FFT series could benefit from dual screens. The maps aren't large enough for the extra screen to be used as a map, the menus are always pop-up and never need to be displayed on a separate screen, and aside from those I can't really think of anything the extra screen could be used for that wouldn't be totally superfluous.
I agree. That FF game is awful. But with a bigger capacity, the DS could make a better game. Interesting note: FF Tatics for PSOne has less map area and character classes than Ogre Battle Tactics. Improvements are in order.

Yeah, those other systems definitely make it seem like the PSP's going to fail. I mean, the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 both managed to sell in excess of 100 million units and are the best-selling consoles of all time, and the PS3's managed to push 1.3 million units within three months despite a $499-$599 price tag, which certainly spells failure for anything they might attempt. And, of course, the PSP's own worldwide shipments of nearly 25 million don't factor into it at all.
No one is denying how PS1 and PS2 are top sellers, but word is that the PS3 is flopping. It looks to me that they rushed the release to compete with Wii, and now it has some reader and overheat problems, and too few games. Sony can recover, but they're in a tight situation now.

Buuuut... I got my DS, and I won't change it for nothing. I did get interested in the Megaman and MegamanX remakes, but everything else, as people said, looks like PS2 remakes. So I stick with DS as a handheld, and PS2 for the bigger tittles.

I'll tell you what is Sony's problem: They are investing a lot in graphics and adversiment... and are forgetting to make fun games. Not only soccer, racing, and Tony Hawk's anything. More adventures, RPGs (things DS has far more), shooting (3rd or 1st person), different sports... etc. I heard there is an awesome Boxing game for Wii. I so want to play that... I wonder if it's like Punch-Out.

tgva8889
2007-02-23, 11:53 PM
Note: All statements in this post are my personal opinion. If you'd like to state me wrong, then you may. I will not take offense. Unless you are clearly just as wrong as I am, then perhaps.

Well, the Wii would be a great system...if I could get one at some point. Those things, they sell so fast. No stores have them. Stupid not having pre-ordered mine...

Personally, I would get the DS. Granted, I'm a Nintendo sort of person, since I basically only buy Nintendo systems. Don't get me wrong, no one can deny that Halo and Halo 2 are awesome games, I just don't have an Xbox. It's nothing against the systems. There are plenty of great games for every system, in my opinion. It's really up to taste.

The DS has a bunch of fun games, but some of them aren't really fun without Wi-Fi gameplay. One example is Metroid Prime Hunters. After you beat the game, the only things to do are destroy computers in multiplayer or beat the game again to find every secret. Which can be fun. But really, once you beat the game, it can get rather boring to try again.

However, some DS games are fun whenever, and some in fact don't even need the touch screen for gameplay. Final Fantasy III could easily be played without the touch screen and it would still be a perfectly fine game. The touch screen might make it slightly easier to land your airship, but it's not necessary for gameplay.

The touch screen can take quite a bit of a beating. My old DS still had a working screen, and I got it when the thing first came out. And I'd been playing Pokemon Ranger on it. Addictively. If any game tears up your touch screen, it sure as well better be that one. So many circles...

The DS Lite is great. Small, so it's easy to carry, yet easy to play. Everything fits in, and if you don't plan on playing too many GBA games, then it has a small cartridge thing to insert into your GBA slot to block it off and keep it nice and clean for when you do want to play those GBA games. I'm not trying to sell the system, in case you're wondering.

I personally don't think there were a ton of great GBA games. The Pokemon series was all that interested me. All the other GBA games I bought were rather boring.

Dr._Weird
2007-02-24, 09:35 AM
Honestly, I don't think you should buy either. I didn't get much enjoyment out of my DS, and the PSP... no. Just no.

Buy a few books, by the time you've finished however many books $210 can buy (A lot unless you buy hardcover), you'll have enough money to get more. Rinse and repeat.

For me, gaming is left to the home (And occassionally to where I bring my laptop, though it has a pretty terrible battery life)

Xerillum
2007-02-24, 10:15 AM
DS ftw. that's all I can say. PSP is horrible, and pretty shoddily built, too.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-24, 02:19 PM
That first arguement falls short because of the simple fact I like the GB and GBC games more than I like the DS games. I'm not saying you're wrong however, just that I disagree.

More on Topic: I love the 64, I just prefer the PSX over it, cause I prefer RPGs. That doesn't mean I don't love goldeneye though.

Golden Sun for the GBA.

Druid
2007-02-27, 12:29 PM
I just bought a DS a little over a week ago and I already love the thing. I'd say definitely go for the DS.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-02-27, 11:14 PM
Well, as the proud owner of both a PSP & a Nintendo DS, I can honestly say I would have a hard time making a choice on which to get, which is why I got one with my mobile phone plan and the other as an Xmas present from my wife (I am the Smart!).

The DS has some good games on it, like Final Fantasy III & Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and the ability to play GBA games is a big plus, BUT, the PSP has it's share of awesome games like Monster Hunter Freedom, Vakyrie Profile: Lenneth, Dungeon Seige: Throne of Agony and many more coming up like Final Fantasy Tactics, Dracula X Collection, and Dungeons & Dragons Tactics. The other thing is, they can play movies & MP3s from the memory stick, so UMDs are not required in the least.Got a movie or a TV show you want to watch on the go? Get DVD Decrypter and PSP9 Encoder and turn them into MP4's to watch on your PSP!

For instance, I have the entire Monty Python's Flying Circus (I own them! Never steal from the Pythons!) on my memory stick (it's a 4gig, so i got a lot of breathing room with it). The newer batch of PSPs are extremely stable so the whole "they fall apart and are crap" spiel no longer applies. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact the PSP costs so much, it would be a far better competitor for the DS.

I don't like PSP bashers who can't actually base their dislike on facts other than "ummm...my brother's friend's sister's 3rd neice says it sucks, and it's not built well." I've dropped mine 3 times at least and the thing keeps going, it's darn near indestructable. Also, you can go online with it without having to buy a USB adapter because it's compatible with almost all WIFI & wireless net routers.

Don't get me wrong, I also don't like people who badmouth the DS without reason (It's a Kid's system. it's for girls. It's {insert derogatory remark towards homosexuals here}). If someone is asking for your honest opinion on which system is better, give them valid reasons beyond "ZOMG I DON'T LIKE THE NINTENDO CUZ THEY MAKE THE POKEMON!" Last I checked when something is successful it generally makes it good. I may not like it, but it's still successful (PokeMon, that is). The DS has a great deal of ingenuity and gimmick with the Stylus & Dual Screen, and the game selection, while smaller, tends to be better at this stage of the "handheld war" but ultimately the Stylus is just that, a gimmick, for most games.

Many games don't even use it, or have function that can be done without the Stylus (FF3 is an example of this). On the downside, without some modding or buying some extra hardware, you can't just dump movies or MP3s onto a stick of "blank" card and play them on the DS. So, it's more if you want more of a "media player" or if you want just a handheld gaming system.

My honest suggestion to you is this: Don't base your opinion on the ideas of others, go to EB Games or another gaming store and see if they have one you can have a go at. Or buy one of them and return it under the 7 day No Questions Asked rule (if your EB games do the same as ours do here in Oz) if you don't like it and just get the other.

Cheers.
JS