PDA

View Full Version : The Stylings of Stick Figure Comic-ry

felinoel
2007-02-11, 11:18 PM
XD i like the title, anyways i apologize if i have posted this in the wrong place, if I have, please let me know

I at first wanted to start up a webcomic because I am a digital artist in college and I hate my hand drawing skills, for one to be a good digital artist I am told my drawing skills need to improve, so a webcomic is what I feel the best way to practise, yea when I got down to actually making it, too much time was needed to spend on it and so I scrapped that idea. but I still want to make this webcomic, because I love my plot, and so I figured why not do it this stick figured way, and I was wondering if anyone knew if the artist of OOTS would mind if i copied the art style.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-11, 11:27 PM
You can do a webcomic without hand drawing it. I have one done complety in Inkscape and Photoshop.

Plus I think OotS isn't handdrawn (except for the order of scribble bits)

felinoel
2007-02-11, 11:32 PM
i am asking if the using the stick figure style is something OoTS will not get mad about

Cryo
2007-02-12, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the Giant said that the characters were under copyright but not the stickman style... a while ago. :frown: Sorry, can't remember where for the love of me, but the truth is out there *giggle*.

That being said, many claim drawing is 10% talent and 90% practice. You might want to take the opportunity to keep working on your drawing skills since it's related to your field of study, plus it will be great for your portfolio, I guess. You can get some nice advices from the art and craft forum too, there are some awesome artists there.

Either way, good luck with your webcomic. :smallsmile:

Rinion
2007-02-12, 12:50 AM
There are quite a few stick-figure webcomics out there (mine not excluded), and none of them have run into any copyright violations I'm aware of.

factotum
2007-02-12, 08:38 AM
Slapping a copyright on a "style" as ubiquitous as stick figure art (which has been in use a LOT longer than OotS has existed, let's face it) won't happen anytime soon, I'll bet.

Mordaedil
2007-02-12, 09:21 AM
The Giant has said that he chose the "Stick-man" style because it helped convey the humor and plot without taking too much time to draw, and that his hand-drawing skills aren't bad, he just wished to deliver a product with his own style and he chose this as his.

I recommend you use it as an inspiration, but move on to actually improving on your other skills. As you chose to embark on the tiresome field of webcomicness, which is rather trendy these days, beware that you must have something that holds an audience. Gags won't work forever. You've already given up on art by choosing to adapt a style which is easier for you. So you'd better be able to conjure a good plot.

Work up your language skills a bit, and then start with it.

Alfryd
2007-02-12, 09:29 AM
...and that his hand-drawing skills aren't bad...
Yeah, he posted some samples of his prior work on the forum at some stage to demonstrate the point. They were competent, but not outstanding. I reckon his current choice of style was the smarter move.

...was wondering if anyone knew if the artist of OOTS would mind if i copied the art style.
I don't think he can make any legal objection to copying the style, so long as you don't directly recycle his specific artwork. Of course, he might still be annoyed to some degree on a personal level.
In practice, however, you will never achieve true fluency in any artistic medium until you uncover a style natural to you. And this will, almost certainly, eventually diverge from other models.

felinoel
2007-02-12, 11:23 AM
The Giant has said that he chose the "Stick-man" style because it helped convey the humor and plot without taking too much time to draw, and that his hand-drawing skills aren't bad, he just wished to deliver a product with his own style and he chose this as his.

I recommend you use it as an inspiration, but move on to actually improving on your other skills. As you chose to embark on the tiresome field of webcomicness, which is rather trendy these days, beware that you must have something that holds an audience. Gags won't work forever. You've already given up on art by choosing to adapt a style which is easier for you. So you'd better be able to conjure a good plot.

Work up your language skills a bit, and then start with it.i haven't any time for that

Yeah, he posted some samples of his prior work on the forum at some stage to demonstrate the point. They were competent, but not outstanding. I reckon his current choice of style was the smarter move.

I don't think he can make any legal objection to copying the style, so long as you don't directly recycle his specific artwork. Of course, he might still be annoyed to some degree on a personal level.
In practice, however, you will never achieve true fluency in any artistic medium until you uncover a style natural to you. And this will, almost certainly, eventually diverge from other models.
Well its not just legality issues that worry me, I don't want to go ripping ideas off of other people, hmmm I might just include a link of reference to OoTS then.....

Lord Zentei
2007-02-12, 11:35 AM
i haven't any time for that

Quality of some kind or other is neccesary for success.

Well its not just legality issues that worry me, I don't want to go ripping ideas off of other people, hmmm I might just include a link of reference to OoTS then.....

That will make it look more like a rip-off, not less.

Perhaps you should experiment with different types of highly abstract and simple styles to find one you like - not all very simple designs look alike, after all: compare OotS with Dilbert, for instance.

factotum
2007-02-12, 12:54 PM
Perhaps you should experiment with different types of highly abstract and simple styles to find one you like - not all very simple designs look alike, after all: compare OotS with Dilbert, for instance.

Or South Park, or Penny Arcade, or...lots of examples of very simple artwork in comics and on TV; as already stated, it's the plots that will pull your readers along.

felinoel
2007-02-12, 04:31 PM
Quality of some kind or other is neccesary for success.but OoTS seems successful to me, and compared to other webcomics it has a very low 'qualtiy' in the art

That will make it look more like a rip-off, not less.

Perhaps you should experiment with different types of highly abstract and simple styles to find one you like - not all very simple designs look alike, after all: compare OotS with Dilbert, for instance.it will most definatly be a rip-off, i just want to give my sources

Or South Park, or Penny Arcade, or...lots of examples of very simple artwork in comics and on TV; as already stated, it's the plots that will pull your readers along.
and yet the one i like, the one that seems to be easiest for me, is still OoTS

The Extinguisher
2007-02-12, 08:53 PM
Oots is actually pretty high quality. Just because it's stick figures does not mean it's bad. It's well detailed, and well put together.

But anyway, try your own style. It'll be easier in the long run if you can do one that works for you, and not one that is coppied of someone else.

felinoel
2007-02-13, 02:04 AM
Oots is actually pretty high quality. Just because it's stick figures does not mean it's bad. It's well detailed, and well put together.

But anyway, try your own style. It'll be easier in the long run if you can do one that works for you, and not one that is coppied of someone else.OoTS is low quality, which does not mean it is bad, in fact i never said it was bad, i like it, i like it so much i wish to design a webcomic in its style, i wouldnt be doing that if i thought it was bad

Lord Zentei
2007-02-13, 02:54 AM
but OoTS seems successful to me, and compared to other webcomics it has a very low 'qualtiy' in the art

I said "quality of some kind or other", not "high class art". I said this in reference to your statements where you seemed to be underestimating the import of the script. OOTS has well written stories and gags.

And though it is highly stylized, the art in OOTS is not "low quality", for though it is simple in form, it is distinctive and well executed.

Alfryd
2007-02-13, 04:43 AM
Or South Park, or Penny Arcade...
In all fairness, Krahulik is perfectly capable of some very engaging work. He has a particular knack for sound characterisation of cameo appearances.

...OoTS seems successful to me, and compared to other webcomics it has a very low 'qualtiy' in the art...
On an evolutionary scale of comic art from 1 to 10, where 1 represents XKCD and 10 represents Alex Ross, OotS would be about a 3.2. However, the average webcomic is perhaps 2.4.

factotum
2007-02-13, 05:02 AM
In all fairness, Krahulik is perfectly capable of some very engaging work. He has a particular knack for sound characterisation of cameo appearances.

I never said it wasn't good, just that it was simple. Apart from the Cardboard Tube Samurai stuff, at any rate...that gets quite complex!

(Mind you, my idea of complex comic artwork is represented by graphic novels like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen--I don't think I've ever seen a webcomic that detailed).

felinoel
2007-02-13, 10:18 AM
I said "quality of some kind or other", not "high class art". I said this in reference to your statements where you seemed to be underestimating the import of the script. OOTS has well written stories and gags.

And though it is highly stylized, the art in OOTS is not "low quality", for though it is simple in form, it is distinctive and well executed.
i never spoke about the script, and again, stick figures are low quality art, not bad, just low quality

On an evolutionary scale of comic art from 1 to 10, where 1 represents XKCD and 10 represents Alex Ross, OotS would be about a 3.2. However, the average webcomic is perhaps 2.4.
which other comics are not the point

I never said it wasn't good, just that it was simple. Apart from the Cardboard Tube Samurai stuff, at any rate...that gets quite complex!

(Mind you, my idea of complex comic artwork is represented by graphic novels like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen--I don't think I've ever seen a webcomic that detailed).
check out megatokyo, its pretty detailed and it is a webcomic

Lord Zentei
2007-02-13, 10:29 AM
i never spoke about the script,

Yes, as a matter of fact you did. Or rather you adressed precisely that. Behold:

i haven't any time for that

This post of yours was in response to a poster who advised you to consider improving your language skills. My post was in response to your answer.

and again, stick figures are low quality art, not bad, just low quality

That is not what "low quality" means.

You know, you really puzzle me. You started this thread asking for advice, yet you seem to be wrangling about the advice you receive. What gives? Do you want our advice or not? Because frankly, this whole issue is none of my concern: I'm really not interested enough to enter a debate on your opinions on these things.

felinoel
2007-02-13, 06:23 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact you did. Or rather you adressed precisely that. Behold:

This post of yours was in response to a poster who advised you to consider improving your language skills. My post was in response to your answer.hmmm upon reading what i posted that to, i realize now that i only read the first paragrah, and i figured the rest was about art, this topic has NOTHING to do with script, or language skills, and so i figured people kept on topic instead of changing the topic

That is not what "low quality" means.

You know, you really puzzle me. You started this thread asking for advice, yet you seem to be wrangling about the advice you receive. What gives? Do you want our advice or not? Because frankly, this whole issue is none of my concern: I'm really not interested enough to enter a debate on your opinions on these things.the stick figures are very low quality art, but they are done well enough for it not to matter

and i posted this thread to see if doing a webcomic in the same style of OoTS would make the creator of OoTS angry, please keep on topic

fwiffo
2007-02-13, 09:25 PM
Great deal of OOTS appeal is extremely sharp and expressive writing. While one can draw a comic what a simplified drawing style ala OOTS, it is not going to have to have great deal of appeal without good writing. And, OP, your messages here don't show great deal of writing skills - so working on that would be more worthwhile than worrying about art style.

Brickwall
2007-02-13, 10:10 PM
I believe a fellow named ElfLad copies the art style, but makes a comic that has yet to borrow an OoTS joke. You can't copyright style, but you lose the feeling of being a pioneer if you copy a style.

felinoel
2007-02-13, 11:43 PM
Great deal of OOTS appeal is extremely sharp and expressive writing. While one can draw a comic what a simplified drawing style ala OOTS, it is not going to have to have great deal of appeal without good writing. And, OP, your messages here don't show great deal of writing skills - so working on that would be more worthwhile than worrying about art style.again, i do not have an issue with the writing, just the drawing

I believe a fellow named ElfLad copies the art style, but makes a comic that has yet to borrow an OoTS joke. You can't copyright style, but you lose the feeling of being a pioneer if you copy a style.being a pioneer? i just want to make a webcomic for the fun of it

EdgarVerona
2007-02-14, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the Giant said that the characters were under copyright but not the stickman style... a while ago.

Aye, there's no way he could copyright stick figure drawing. That would result in a legal battle that I don't think even Microsoft could win. =) But indeed, his own characters are rightly and justifiably copyrighted.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-14, 03:19 AM
hmmm upon reading what i posted that to, i realize now that i only read the first paragrah, and i figured the rest was about art, this topic has NOTHING to do with script, or language skills, and so i figured people kept on topic instead of changing the topic

You asked whether it would be OK to use the OOTS style, and Mordaedil responded that this depends on your script. I don't really see that as off topic, since it really depends on how original your comic is in other ways.

To clarify - if the plot AND art are very similar to OOTS (with basic theme, story, metagaming gags, and such), you might be skirting the line of good taste. If the story is distinct, however, the similarity in art will matter much less.

As for whether using the specific style is OK, I have in fact answered that: I suggested trying out a range of styles to see which one fits your story best. In other words, it would be cooler if you developed your own style (even if it is another type of stickman style).

the stick figures are very low quality art, but they are done well enough for it not to matter

That is a contradiction in terms. If it is well done, it is not low quality.

and i posted this thread to see if doing a webcomic in the same style of OoTS would make the creator of OoTS angry, please keep on topic

How should we know what makes Rich angry? You should be asking him, not us.

bluish_wolf
2007-02-14, 03:36 AM
Just say that you were inspired by this web comic and put a link to this website. Then, nobody could accuse you of plagiarism, because you clearly gave credit.

Mordaedil
2007-02-14, 04:37 AM
again, i do not have an issue with the writing, just the drawing

being a pioneer? i just want to make a webcomic for the fun of it

Okaaay, good luck to you.

I think most people are a bit upset with you calling it low-quality art, when it is not. If it was defined low quality, it would probably not stick together, ever be published in a book, and we would probably still have jokes about the base abilities of dwarves against beer. The quality is quite good, because it has a high attention to detail in every strip and very often unique decals making up each character. The poses are also very often consistent, making sure no-ones feet or arms are too long, at least not to the point where it is noticeably wrong.

They are however simple. Not low-quality, simple. If you don't agree, you might as well call your comic the "Low Quality comic" :P

felinoel
2007-02-14, 07:01 PM
You asked whether it would be OK to use the OOTS style, and Mordaedil responded that this depends on your script. I don't really see that as off topic, since it really depends on how original your comic is in other ways.

To clarify - if the plot AND art are very similar to OOTS (with basic theme, story, metagaming gags, and such), you might be skirting the line of good taste. If the story is distinct, however, the similarity in art will matter much less.well it is also a DND webcomic

As for whether using the specific style is OK, I have in fact answered that: I suggested trying out a range of styles to see which one fits your story best. In other words, it would be cooler if you developed your own style (even if it is another type of stickman style).all you are doing is dodging the bullet and changing the subject, i just want to know if that style wouldnt get the creator of OoTS mad, i do not want to be told "it may be better to do your own thing" because that is not what i want to know, and so you have still not answered me

That is a contradiction in terms. If it is well done, it is not low quality.low quality is not neccesarily a bad thing, i feel megatokyo goes way beyond what is needed for a webcomic, but megatokyo is high quality art
a webcomic does not need to be high quality

How should we know what makes Rich angry? You should be asking him, not us.and perhaps a way to ask him myself could be given

Just say that you were inspired by this web comic and put a link to this website. Then, nobody could accuse you of plagiarism, because you clearly gave credit.
which is what i wanted to do, but someone told me that would be a bad thing o.O

Okaaay, good luck to you.

I think most people are a bit upset with you calling it low-quality art, when it is not. If it was defined low quality, it would probably not stick together, ever be published in a book, and we would probably still have jokes about the base abilities of dwarves against beer. The quality is quite good, because it has a high attention to detail in every strip and very often unique decals making up each character. The poses are also very often consistent, making sure no-ones feet or arms are too long, at least not to the point where it is noticeably wrong.

They are however simple. Not low-quality, simple. If you don't agree, you might as well call your comic the "Low Quality comic" :P
art and script are two entirely different things, a webcomic does not need high quality art, an example of high quality art on a webcomic is megatokyo, take a look at the ART on that, then look at the ART of OoTS, OoTS has low quality ART

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 03:39 AM
all you are doing is dodging the bullet and changing the subject, i just want to know if that style wouldnt get the creator of OoTS mad, i do not want to be told "it may be better to do your own thing" because that is not what i want to know, and so you have still not answered me

I am not changing the subject. I have essentially answered you to the extent that anyone other than Rich himself is able by saying that it would be cooler if you did your own style, particularly since I also specified that you would be skirting the line of good taste if the story were also similar. That is my perception. Don't like it, too bad.

Moreover, my post included this line - I'll post it again, in non standard text:

What were you expecting, that we had put a level in Psion?

art and script are two entirely different things, a webcomic does not need high quality art, an example of high quality art on a webcomic is megatokyo, take a look at the ART on that, then look at the ART of OoTS, OoTS has low quality ART

Now I'm beginning to smell Troll.

bluish_wolf
2007-02-15, 04:02 AM
If you are really worried, then send him a PM or email.

Both are listed on his profile: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14856

Mordaedil
2007-02-15, 06:56 AM
Someone who doesn't have a degree in art, presumably does not deserve to talk about what is low-quality and high-quality.

Megatokyo, is not high quality art, it has become professional level quality art, because of Piro's attention to detail and anatomy.

While the art in Order of the Stick is simple, it's not high quality art, and not professional level art, but it's still very good, art.

There are several criteria for what makes art, art, but it does not mean one type of style is worse than another, if he puts equal amount of work into it.

That said, you are probably better off asking the Giant directly, as we doubtfully can answer what you wish to know. Though I would refrain from referring to his art as low-quality, if I were you.

agentx42
2007-02-15, 07:36 AM
i am asking if the using the stick figure style is something OoTS will not get mad about

Naaaaah. If that were the case then Matt Feazell would have been ticked off at Rich, as he was doing "Cynicalman" long before. Besides, one of the great advantages of using stick figures is that people will actually be READING your stuff instead of just looking at the pretty pictures. All the nice art in the world can only cover up a rotten story so much, ya know.

Good Luck!!

Akaziel
2007-02-15, 08:31 AM
Maybe it would be better if you made a statement. Like say, "Stick figure style based on Rich Burlew's work" or something like that.

Fri
2007-02-15, 09:56 AM
Well, I'm having art major, fourth year now, and in my opinion, OOTS have good art.

Though, I understand what you mean. Face it, OOTS art isn't as good as, say, marvel's ultimate spiderman or something. But OOTS isn't simple stick figure. Rick doesn't, say spend a couple minute a day doodling to make a chapter of oots. He spend HOURS with CG program.

But OOTS have something that is even better than good art. OOTS have STYLE.

A lot of my lecturer keep saying, and I agree with them, that style, or to be proper, good and original style, is better than plain good art.

Freshmen need good art. They learn anatomy and shading and such in my college. It's basic. But later, they need something more than plain good art. They need good, distinctive art style. And that is far harder to obtain than just good art. And some might say, their drawing isn't as realistic or good as their drawing at their first or second year.

For example, take manga/anime artist. What differs good manga/anime artist and manga/anime artist wanabee is, style. Manga/anime artist wanabee copy other artist's style, but good manga/anime artist have their own style. Sure, they might copy other artist's style at first, but later, they develop their own, original style, that differ them from the rest.

Same with any kind of artist, whether it magazine ilustrator or abstract painter.

Some have simplicity as their style. Some have overcomplexity as their style. But we can't say one is better than the other. Because, it depends on it place. For example, if we need an artist to draw ilustration for anatomy book for medical student,we need a realistic artist, that good with detail and shading for 3d effect and such. But for another book, we need different kind of artist to draw organs and cells because we need them to be simpler but clearer so student can understand more.

And I concur that, OOTS have it own style. Good one. And fit it place well.

Beside, don't forget that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An art that is good for you, maybe isn't as good for someone else. What is good art for you? Some might say realistic art? Some prefer impresionism, with distinctive color work and such. Other prefer 'clean cut' style, as herge's tintin. If you say that tintin's art is worse than sin city's art, you might be right. But that is for YOU.

War
2007-02-15, 11:55 AM
Art for a long-running comic strip has different needs than art for a gallery, as well. It's possible for a simple art style to succeed at telling a story as long as it's versatile and distinct. It's possible for a technically proficient style to mess things up by failing to show expression well, not making characters easily recognizable, having too much detail that distracts the eye from the action, etc.

On the other hand, it is also possible to screw up stick figures. Seriously, I've seen it happen. Don't assume that a simple style means you can stop trying.

If you want to produce the best work you can (which is not always the goal -- there is such a thing as practice!) then you shouldn't be working with any art style you don't know how to use from every angle, in every situation, for every character.

felinoel
2007-02-15, 02:59 PM
I am not changing the subject. I have essentially answered you to the extent that anyone other than Rich himself is able by saying that it would be cooler if you did your own style, particularly since I also specified that you would be skirting the line of good taste if the story were also similar. That is my perception. Don't like it, too bad.

Moreover, my post included this line - I'll post it again, in non standard text:

What were you expecting, that we had put a level in Psion?no i was expecting you to read what i replyed to when you posted this, i said i would like to know of a way to ask him myself

Now I'm beginning to smell Troll.amazing

If you are really worried, then send him a PM or email.

Both are listed on his profile: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14856
thank you for answering my question, for answering what THIS WHOLE THREAD was supposed to be about

Someone who doesn't have a degree in art, presumably does not deserve to talk about what is low-quality and high-quality.

Megatokyo, is not high quality art, it has become professional level quality art, because of Piro's attention to detail and anatomy.

While the art in Order of the Stick is simple, it's not high quality art, and not professional level art, but it's still very good, art.

There are several criteria for what makes art, art, but it does not mean one type of style is worse than another, if he puts equal amount of work into it.

That said, you are probably better off asking the Giant directly, as we doubtfully can answer what you wish to know. Though I would refrain from referring to his art as low-quality, if I were you.errrr i do have a degree in art, more specifically, digital art

Naaaaah. If that were the case then Matt Feazell would have been ticked off at Rich, as he was doing "Cynicalman" long before. Besides, one of the great advantages of using stick figures is that people will actually be READING your stuff instead of just looking at the pretty pictures. All the nice art in the world can only cover up a rotten story so much, ya know.

Good Luck!!
nice to hear a less angry person in this thread

Maybe it would be better if you made a statement. Like say, "Stick figure style based on Rich Burlew's work" or something like that.
i wanted to but someone here said it would make it worse?

Well, I'm having art major, fourth year now, and in my opinion, OOTS have good art.

Though, I understand what you mean. Face it, OOTS art isn't as good as, say, marvel's ultimate spiderman or something. But OOTS isn't simple stick figure. Rick doesn't, say spend a couple minute a day doodling to make a chapter of oots. He spend HOURS with CG program.

But OOTS have something that is even better than good art. OOTS have STYLE.

A lot of my lecturer keep saying, and I agree with them, that style, or to be proper, good and original style, is better than plain good art.

Freshmen need good art. They learn anatomy and shading and such in my college. It's basic. But later, they need something more than plain good art. They need good, distinctive art style. And that is far harder to obtain than just good art. And some might say, their drawing isn't as realistic or good as their drawing at their first or second year.

For example, take manga/anime artist. What differs good manga/anime artist and manga/anime artist wanabee is, style. Manga/anime artist wanabee copy other artist's style, but good manga/anime artist have their own style. Sure, they might copy other artist's style at first, but later, they develop their own, original style, that differ them from the rest.

Same with any kind of artist, whether it magazine ilustrator or abstract painter.

Some have simplicity as their style. Some have overcomplexity as their style. But we can't say one is better than the other. Because, it depends on it place. For example, if we need an artist to draw ilustration for anatomy book for medical student,we need a realistic artist, that good with detail and shading for 3d effect and such. But for another book, we need different kind of artist to draw organs and cells because we need them to be simpler but clearer so student can understand more.

And I concur that, OOTS have it own style. Good one. And fit it place well.

Beside, don't forget that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An art that is good for you, maybe isn't as good for someone else. What is good art for you? Some might say realistic art? Some prefer impresionism, with distinctive color work and such. Other prefer 'clean cut' style, as herge's tintin. If you say that tintin's art is worse than sin city's art, you might be right. But that is for YOU.
and i liked OoTS' art, it was something that i could do well, but then because of all the flames and the misconceptions i started up something from scratch, and my roommate walked by and told me it looked like danny phantom, so i gave it danny phantom eyes and nose

Art for a long-running comic strip has different needs than art for a gallery, as well. It's possible for a simple art style to succeed at telling a story as long as it's versatile and distinct. It's possible for a technically proficient style to mess things up by failing to show expression well, not making characters easily recognizable, having too much detail that distracts the eye from the action, etc.

On the other hand, it is also possible to screw up stick figures. Seriously, I've seen it happen. Don't assume that a simple style means you can stop trying.

If you want to produce the best work you can (which is not always the goal -- there is such a thing as practice!) then you shouldn't be working with any art style you don't know how to use from every angle, in every situation, for every character.
which is why i am painstakingly spending two days creating final drafts of each character in a blown up version so you can see the details, of even the paladin's mount

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 03:34 PM
no i was expecting you to read what i replyed to when you posted this,i said i would like to know of a way to ask him myself

Holy FSM, is this for real? You comlpain about people not reading and post this nonsense?

You have been provided with a link to his profile. His profile is also available to anyone who reads the comic threads, since it is he who starts them. Send him a PM or an email, for crying out loud. This is Rich's board. How hard can it be to figure this out?

amazing

Yes, it certainly is. :smallsigh:

and i liked OoTS' art, it was something that i could do well, but then because of all the flames and the misconceptions i started up something from scratch, and my roommate walked by and told me it looked like danny phantom, so i gave it danny phantom eyes and nose

Flames and misconceptions, indeed. You asked and honest answers were given. Too bad that the answers were not what you wanted to hear. But, you are starting with your own original style, so good for you. That will make your comic more notable, and will enrich the webcomic community more than a comic that is visually a OOTS clone would.

felinoel
2007-02-15, 04:13 PM
Holy FSM, is this for real? You comlpain about people not reading and post this nonsense?ummm yea, since you didnt read what i posted about what you reposted in big letters

You have been provided with a link to his profile. His profile is also available to anyone who reads the comic threads, since it is he who starts them. Send him a PM or an email, for crying out loud. This is Rich's board. How hard can it be to figure this out?i have only recently been given this, and i dont read his comic threads, and i didnt know the name of his username here because im not much of a poster here

Yes, it certainly is. :smallsigh:i see

Flames and misconceptions, indeed. You asked and honest answers were given. Too bad that the answers were not what you wanted to hear. But, you are starting with your own original style, so good for you. That will make your comic more notable, and will enrich the webcomic community more than a comic that is visually a OOTS clone would.NO answers were given, just "i think you should do your own thing" nonsense because i dont care for it, i am a digital artist for the business world, i dont make my own things i merely make what i am told to make

Lord Zentei
2007-02-16, 02:32 AM
ummm yea, since you didnt read what i posted about what you reposted in big letters

Frankly, I thought you were not being serious. Well, so sorry I assumed that you would be able to do something so basic as finding the user profile of the owner of the board on which you are posting. Hence my perception that you were trolling.

i have only recently been given this, and i dont read his comic threads, and i didnt know the name of his username here because im not much of a poster here

You want to imitate his art style and don't read the comic threads? Seriously? Regardless, finding the profile of the owner of the web board you are posting on should not excactly be rocket science, IMHO.

NO answers were given, just "i think you should do your own thing" nonsense because i dont care for it, i am a digital artist for the business world, i dont make my own things i merely make what i am told to make

Indeed: "Do your own thing" is a valid answer to the question "do you think it would bother Rich if I used his art style". As in, "yes, yes I think it would". So, if you make what you are told to make: "Make something that doesn't look like Rich's work".

But to be quite honest, if you are going to make your own webcomic on your own initiative, you are going to have to graduate from only making what you are told to make to "doing your own thing" - since doing so is rather is part and parcel of that.

If you insist, those comments may be seen as additional advice, but they were freely given and well meant. Given that your original question was answered as well, I see no reason for you to have flown off the handle aobut it.

felinoel
2007-02-20, 07:03 PM
Frankly, I thought you were not being serious. Well, so sorry I assumed that you would be able to do something so basic as finding the user profile of the owner of the board on which you are posting. Hence my perception that you were trolling.i dont use these forums much, i dont know how it works

You want to imitate his art style and don't read the comic threads? Seriously? Regardless, finding the profile of the owner of the web board you are posting on should not excactly be rocket science, IMHO.what are the comic threads about?

Indeed: "Do your own thing" is a valid answer to the question "do you think it would bother Rich if I used his art style". As in, "yes, yes I think it would". So, if you make what you are told to make: "Make something that doesn't look like Rich's work".again it is not an answer, it is just changing the subject

But to be quite honest, if you are going to make your own webcomic on your own initiative, you are going to have to graduate from only making what you are told to make to "doing your own thing" - since doing so is rather is part and parcel of that.thats only how i work with digital art, it doesnt come as easily to me as it might you

If you insist, those comments may be seen as additional advice, but they were freely given and well meant. Given that your original question was answered as well, I see no reason for you to have flown off the handle aobut it.i only flew off the handle at all the subject changes, when my question was finally answered i merely made a 'thanks' post in response to it