PDA

View Full Version : Hangman Hill (Just outside town)

NecroPaladin
2007-02-11, 11:27 PM
*EDIT: Just go and read the bottom if you want the basic gist without the backstory. I know it can be a bit tedious. Namely, I want a location to make my own, and no one wanted this depressing spot. (grins) *

HANGMAN HILL (Location: Outskirts of Town)

Namesake ponders as he slogs up the muddy path on Hangman Hill. Now for you or me, pondering would be a normal part of life, but for Namesake, who had neither life nor any true sense of imagination and wonder, pondering is almost a curiosity in itself. He is, in fact, so pleased with himself for pondering without assistance that he tries to smile. Then his jaw starts to dislodge again, so he stops. It's not like smiling is any proper thing for one above such weakening emotions to do, anyway.

But I digress. Namesake has been pondering that, considering how he just gave himself his name after he couldn't remember his mortal "namesake," then perhaps he might change his name at will and emulate those more admirable of things around him. He is, despite his semblance of pain or hate, quite pleased with this revelation. He will have to find a way to reward himself later. Perhaps with a name.

About halfway up the slope, followed by his faithful, if grotesque, crocodile companion, he stops. Whilst carefully leveling himself on the hillside, which is slick with grime despite the evident lack of any rainfall recently, he stops to look at the Gallows, an ominous shadow atop the hill. Truly it would be a cruel death to see only the town from above...to feel its hate for you as your soul is constricted till wrenched wholly from your body, without you so much as touching the ground until you were to be buried. It would be glorious to watch. The underused gallows ("A pity to be so infrequently used when there are so many that need you yet," he remarked to them, absently) were hardly what he had come for, though. He must search for something different, and he is sure that it's here. He had seen it.

Judge and Jury growls. It is a guttural sound, albeit unmistakeably crocodile in nature. Ah yes. They need food, don't they. Namesake tosses a bit of meat to the creature, accompanied by a "sssssh, JJ!"

Ah, there it is, just off the side of the hill not visible from the town. The platform once reserved exclusively for the firey stake. The traditional spot to rid your land of troublesome heretics and blasphemers. There was no recent ash to be seen ("How soft are the people of this wretched place?") , though the platform itself was black as coal. It was the only place on the hill that would look into nothing but the wilderness; no one wanted an ugly witch or voudon sorcerer to put a curse on the town just because they couldn't accept their fate. Namesake knew already what he was to do. It will be a test of faith, to see who will answer his message to this haven of wicked souls. Whether the righteous will answer with their pious faith, or the evil with their sinful hatred, only time can tell. As he erects an aged stake and lights the pyre, he ponders (Two in a day!) which meeting might truly be more enjoyable.

*RESULT: Namesake the Necropaladin is calling out both friends and foes, because I want some action! Or, I suppose, diplomatic engagement. Basic textbook effect: A fire is visible on Hangman's Hill from some parts of the town. Honestly, you decide whether you can see it or not, I'm assuming that the hill is fairly tall and to the NorthEast of the city. I'm intending this to be a location and not a story arc, but let's see how it goes!

EDIT: God forbid if this doesn't work I'll actually have to ENTER the town. And that would be bad for everyone's health, including mine.*

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 12:29 AM
The city's lights begin to fade. Apparently, no one will answer the call. Namesake figures it's probably due to the fact that there appears to be a full-scale riot in the slums. You'd figure one of those lawless monsters would face me, Namesake thinks spitefully as he decides to call it a night. Unable to sleep (he forgets sometimes), he instead dispells JJ and does his best to look like a long-ago-executed-corpse as he waits for the next day.

(OOC: Somewhere, a dwarf murgles)

Flabbicus
2007-02-12, 05:19 PM
The sound of hooves striking against gravel is heard some distance away from the hill. A large figure rides in on his towering warhorse. The horse whinnies at the base of the hill and the figure dismounts. The man climbs up the side of the hill.

"Damned anarchists, always with their fire and desecration."
Something is afoot, the voice in his head says.
"You don't say..."

The misguided knight keeps his hand on his great-sword and pokes around the extremities of the hill, always keeping the pyre within sight and mind.

Deathcow
2007-02-12, 05:53 PM
Drawn by the element of fire, Ba'el climbs the hill, his burning body shining brightly against the near-darkness around him.

Who's there? Who has created a fire in this spot? For what purpose do you call Ba'el, the Fire Incarnate?

Ba'el notices the knight.

Were you the one to light this fire? Did you draw me to this place, and for what purpose? Speak quickly, little knight.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 08:05 PM
"Be at ease ... I am no pathetic arsonist. After all, it is the law ... of the Gods to light this pyre. Truly the beacon was slow enough. Perhaps if the town were not so ... lenient in its punishment, then they ... would have more stakes to burn."

A voice like ice itself cuts through the air, causing deep discomfort in otherwise fiery temperament. No one is visible at first, save a knight and a firey creature.

A hooded figure pulls itself (almost definitely a him, but one can't be sure until the face is visible) out of the mud, supported by a weapon more tree than club. Up until this point, he had just seemed a discarded corpse, one of many around the hill. As the mud falls off with an almost unearthly precision, it is visible that he wears the holy vestments of a priest, set over the texture of mail. You notice that the priest's jaw, the only part of his face (save a faint red glow) visible beneath a creeping darkness that seems to eminate from his hood, is hideously malformed. There are no lips, leaving the teeth bared as he speaks, and his 'skin,' or, more likely, what should be beneath the skin, is the color of raw meat. He continues to speak absently, without turning his head. It's entirely up to debate as to whom he intends to speak to, if anyone at all.

His jaw occasionally seems to stick in place, as though by paralysis, and he needs to twist it frequently back with either his facial muscles or his free hand. Both methods usually result in a stomach-wrenching *kkkkraaaaak*. This would also account for the random pauses in his speech.

"I do not believe that Judge and Jury will ... be needed, as only an executioner is needed ... in the detestable case of blatant ... hostilities. I do not intend to enter your ignoble town for any extended period of time, and I do not under ... any circumstances intend to settle down. But I will remain as long ... as the Archpriest deems necessary."

The priest pauses, and with a few more *kraaaaaakkkk*s pulls his crippled gums into what follows a loose defention of what a smile might be, to one who had never seen one.

"I require information regarding a ... possible investigation and ... if it is as the Archpriest feared ... live capture of any local ... Necromancers."

The final pause almost seems entirely intentional.

Deathcow
2007-02-12, 09:04 PM
I too am new in Town, and I detest the necromancers and their spawn as much as you seem to. Why do you seek them out?

Ba'el peers at the hooded figure and tries to make out the holy symbols on his vestments, as well as the flesh beneath his cloak.

Do you require healing? You seem... unwell.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 09:30 PM
I have been unwell for ... longer than I can remember, but the affliction I have is ... by no means easily cured. I take special interest in the Church ... in its retribution against the Necromancers ... for I seek to spare others from this plague.

What say you, knight?

The priest grabs his jaw and wrenches it back into an emotionless state, lifting his club.

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 09:40 PM
Those who are attuned to such things might notice a small scrying sensor appear, glancing about the the hill and its gallows.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 09:48 PM
(OOC: Hardly. Namesake only cares about evil/death. Gon' go to dinner now.)

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 09:51 PM
((If he cares about those two things then he might be pretty interested in the diviner who cast that spell, but I will bring in Aesa when you return.))

Flabbicus
2007-02-12, 09:54 PM
I have been unwell for ... longer than I can remember, but the affliction I have is ... by no means easily cured. I take special interest in the Church ... in its retribution against the Necromancers ... for I seek to spare others from this plague.

What say you, knight?

The priest grabs his jaw and wrenches it back into an emotionless state, lifting his club.

The knight registers Namesake's appearance with grudging acceptance.

I have no particular vendetta against necromancers, but many have been tied with the evils of chaos and greed, which I cannot abide by. My name is Sir Oblrecht Corvus, Templar and servant to Arbath. What would you ask of me to help rid this town of corruption?

Deathcow
2007-02-12, 09:54 PM
While I dislike the necromancers and their ilk, I have no desire in entering an open war with them. If that is all, i shall be off.

Ba'el exits towards Town.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:12 PM
"A pity that you lack interest, thing of flame ... your form is ideal for what I plan ..."

He turns back to the knight.

"I ask simply to investigate. The Archpriest has ill will ... for the practice in general, but will tolerate them as for now they are a legitimate ... school of the arcane. "

Apparently having accomplished basic facial movement, he "grins" again.

"However....... Should any be involved in the heinous crime of taking the corpse of an unwilling subject ... then I will use my full right to the Malleus Maledictorum ... and from that moment I am not responsible for whether they are to stand trial or to become a corpse themselves."

Namesake seems equally disturbed with the thoughts of capturing and slaying outright a Necromancer. That is, hardly at all.
He starts awkwardly walking to the town gates, oblivious to any reactions.

"I am called Namesake, for I have none. If you will accompany me and perhaps show me around this urban labyrinth of a town ... then by all means state yours. In your name you invest ... your capability to bring to justice ... those who defy the right to one's own death."

Namesake sounds nothing so much like a demon as he speaks those last words.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-12, 10:15 PM
Chaotic Bob appears on the hill in an exsplosion of violet tulips. He looks around at the falling flowers.
Tis been awhile since flowers resulted.
He shrugs and looks around, wondering how he got to this location.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:16 PM
Chaotic Bob appears on the hill in an exsplosion of violet tulips. He looks around at the falling flowers.
Tis been awhile since flowers resulted.
He shrugs and looks around, wondering how he got to this location.

OOC: Were the flowers just ENTIRELY random or an overarching backstory plot twist linked to what will transpire?

Or both?

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-12, 10:20 PM
((randomocity :smallsmile: , his come and go disappearances are typically accomanied by an explosion of some random object or another))

Chaotic Bob decides that he's here because he's here. He puts his new bow in its case on his back and continues to look around, hoping to notice signs of life, or something that won't try to kill him too quickly.

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 10:21 PM
Oh, how very eloquent. How noble, what saint you are. Standing up for the right of those who cannot protect themselves- the rotting, inanimate corpses of those who have passed on. The wheel turns, fate is woven and threads are cut. The body remains, but it is nothing but a collection of matter once uninhabited. So those who are something must protect them.
An illusion of a beautiful but fierce black winged woman appears, leaning against one of the gallows. Her hawk-like yellow eyes flick across the knight and unusual paladin while she tosses back her black hair.
Tell me, do you advocate the rights of the stones scattered about the hills? The soil beneath your feet? Please.
The woman spins a slender, gray rod in the fingers of her left hand. Her expression is obviously amused.

Flabbicus
2007-02-12, 10:22 PM
"I would readily show you around this den of fiends, but before we go forward I must warn you. There are things in there, things which will shock you: mockeries against the natural order, travesties against the basic underlying laws and principles of the planes, and things of such power that it is uncertain as to why they interfere with mortal affairs.

I will tarry no longer, follow me."

He matches Namesake's pace down the hill and calls for his horse, who follows closely by his side.

He stops.

"Everything has a right to an existence; as long as it does not deter the grand wheel from turning then something has as much right to exist as a god."

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:23 PM
For a moment, even Namesake seems stunned.

"I am guessing ... from that entrance ... you ..."

*Holds up a limp finger, mouth opens and closes with no sound*

"......Are ... NOT ... a Necromancer. Carry on ... citizen."

Whilst staggering a bit, Namesake has a fleeting thought:

Dominating this town might prove a bit difficult.

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 10:31 PM
Aesa arches her black wings and pushes herself to stand upright, then glances at the knight. I never argued against that. I merely laugh at the 'rights' that you presume corpses possess. She flies to them both and lands in between them.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-12, 10:32 PM
Chaotic Bob blinks as he sights the Aesa (i think) illusion.
What is she doing here?
He starts to reach for his bow, but decides against it, realizing how pointless it would be. He briefly notes the people/beings leaving.
He decides to stand and watch.

Flabbicus
2007-02-12, 10:35 PM
"Corpses have rights valkyrie, and their gradual uninterrupted decomposition is a reclamation of the land, a return to our roots I suppose. Why do you suppose so many peoples find grave-robbing to be so evil? Why are there so many gods of Repose and benign rest if they possessed no rights to speak of?"

(( And I had forgotten that he met Aesa before... ))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:39 PM
Namesake instinctively prepares for battle but stops himself upon seeing Aesa's wings.

"You appear angelic, but the shade of ... the wings on your back tell me your true soul, 'angel.' This club itself is shorn from the earth. In a way, we all are. And some may ... not truly understand the motives of others, but we must still respect ... them for what they pursue. Albiet respect them ... as we persecute them. Hear me, I have been at many times as ... close to dead as I am to the likes of you ... Fie, winged one. You are no adversary of mine ... until you prove that you are."

A brief red flash of light is seen from the eyes beneath the hood, but then all is black save the jaw again. Anger?

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-12, 10:40 PM
Chaotic Bob quickly looks down at Trog's.
Uh oh, seems like a fights brewing....
He vanishes in an explosion of....nothing.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:42 PM
"...The strange one has left. Who is he?"

Flabbicus
2007-02-12, 10:44 PM
"I have no recollection of that one. Although I have had prior experience with this one. She is formidable, and quite determined, on what, I do not know."

(( And time for bed... I'll continue this tomorrow sometime around 3 to 4 PM ))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 10:48 PM
((OOC: G'night Flabby! We wuv you!))

"She seems intent on ... the creation of malintent. Naught else, but feel free to ... prove me wrong, winged one."

((Guess I'll call it a night too then.))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 10:51 PM
Aesa chuckles at the knight. Because the gods are fools, along with many a mortal who walks this earth. She looks back to Namesake. I am no angel, and I never was one. I am Aesa, daughter of Skuld and weaver of fate. My eyes have looked down the shadows of lives and history, and I know much more of this earth than many. Her voice grows strong, aided by her magic. You, and those like you, are simply deluded by your quests for meaning, and thus perform acts in the name of gods and morals that exist merely in your own mind. She smirks. In reality, you exist as much for your morals as you do for my amusement.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 11:02 PM
((Getting out of bed for this one, just HAVE to reply to this great RP. Then it's away for me again.))

The red glow begins again but is slightly more persistent before dissapearing.

"As I am a shadow of life and history. I know of the terror that may be experienced only just beneath the earth, if not on it."

He begins to grow livid with rage.

"And if, be it their will, the gods exist only for me, it is just as well a reason to subvert those who subverted you. I exist as you see me for horrid reasons that counter my morals, and the amusement in me has already been ... drained by those who so cruelly corrupted my de-"

There is a brief, bright flash of the red light as he stops himself.

"Those who so cruelly ... ruined my ... life. But if you truly weave the fates, winged one ... then you will know me for what I am."

((Backa to bed

EDIT: Actually, time to make a new character for valentines... *evil grin*))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 11:19 PM
You amuse me, child of light. She puts emphasis on the last word, and her expression shows knowledge of the irony in her speech. As a weaver of the fates, I could learn everything about you, but yet- Aesa pauses and tilts her head, considering him. I will not do such a thing. For such knowledge of you would make you far less interesting. However, Namesake, self-proclaimed Executioner, that does not mean I am blind to what you are. With a laugh she snaps her rod firmly into her hand. You will be an interesting one to watch, Namesake; your perception of... life is far different than most. She grins. If you need someone to show you this town, I would be quite happy to do so, and I can show and tell you much more than this knight here.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 11:21 PM
((Holding off for flabb. He won't take well to that insult. :smalltongue: ))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 11:25 PM
((Well then, we will be waiting a while.))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 11:30 PM
((I instantly imagine his character just *pof* and gone, right off the side of the gallows. Aesa and Namesake just kind of stand and stare. Dialogue, spoilered to not clog thread:
Well ... this is awkward.

Yes.

Um ... is he gonna come back?

Probably. I'm gonna get something to drink. You want anything?

No ... I don't consume in general.

Oh, right. I knew that.

Yes, yes you did.

Is he back yet?

Sigh. *slaps forehead* ))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 11:32 PM
((Actually, that kind of thing happens IC alot here in Town. Regiji explained it as dead time zones, I believe.))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 11:34 PM
(( Meh. Not like I could get much else in. Great use of language w/ the char by the way. Been playing her for a while I assume?))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 11:38 PM
((About three months now, and thank you.))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 11:41 PM
((It's interesting having to remember to hide this char's appearance. I made him a long time ago in D&D, and played him for a few weeks, but it was in a high-magic campaign so undead were entirely accepted. Thus, he's more cryptic now, when it's significantly less common to see an undead Paladin. Also, the jaw gag (pun not intended) was something I'd been dying to use on an undead character, but I didn't want to have to mess with making a new one.))

AmberVael
2007-02-12, 11:45 PM
((Most people in Town probably would not even bat an eye at an undead paladin. Seriously, this place sees alot of things.))

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-12, 11:46 PM
((like living cupcake adventurers?:smallsmile: can't remember who that was.....))

Flabbicus
2007-02-13, 05:09 PM
You amuse me, child of light. She puts emphasis on the last word, and her expression shows knowledge of the irony in her speech. As a weaver of the fates, I could learn everything about you, but yet- Aesa pauses and tilts her head, considering him. I will not do such a thing. For such knowledge of you would make you far less interesting. However, Namesake, self-proclaimed Executioner, that does not mean I am blind to what you are. With a laugh she snaps her rod firmly into her hand. You will be an interesting one to watch, Namesake; your perception of... life is far different than most. She grins. If you need someone to show you this town, I would be quite happy to do so, and I can show and tell you much more than this knight here.

(( I think I missed my cue... ))

The knight huffs at Aesa and retorts in a low voice, "No doubt your views on this planar outpost and the people therein are different than my own. However, I would hardly call your abilities as a docent and guide superior to my own. Is it not better to view this conundrum of duplicity and perversion from both sides, to see this township from both perspectives with reticence and equity?"

That being said I have not entered this town in many days, and now that I think about it it has been a few weeks. No doubt your knowledge of the gossip of the town and news from the town criers is much more up-to-date than my own. From what I know of you your views do not seem to coincide with what Namesake has stated his opinions to be so far."

He ruffles slightly at her mention of the gods, No doubt you are referencing the so called gods who have made this place their home. Mortals made divine are much different from the beings that I have come to know as gods. The deities present within the confines of this town are not representative of the gods as a whole, but neither are mine. In any case both of our experiences are subjective, wholly based on our vastly differing views on the universe."

(( And now I'm going to stop typing before I start to say things like "Sticks and stone may break my bones, but words may never hurt me." Even I often find this to be untrue. ))

AmberVael
2007-02-13, 05:28 PM
You mistake my words. I simply profess to know more of the Town's layout, people, and as you confessed, recent history. I have scried over the area most thoroughly, and I have seen your presence in it very little. If you claim that your knowledge of Town is equal to mine, then I will be most sceptical of your claim. Furthermore, I am, for whatever reason in Hel, accepted by a number of the townsfolk and my reputation- Aesa looks extremely amused at this Might help you get accepted by others more quickly, and thus you can more efficiently and easily get your task done and achieve you goal.
As for my personal view on the things in Town, I do confess, they are merely opinions. I know, it is stunning that my views are not facts. But bear with me. Aesa's voice is dripping with sarcasm, then progresses to a more serious tone. As for gods, I have known those that are mortals made into gods, and those who have always been gods. They both have their flaws, and frankly I try to stay away from both types.

Flabbicus
2007-02-13, 06:27 PM
"My apologies then for misinterpreting your statements. I should hope that you realize that I do not consider your views to be facts, or even those held by others to be factual in the least."

In response to her statements on gods he responds with stoic silence.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-13, 07:23 PM
(( Interesting philosophy effect on character... (a bit personal) OK, this is funny to think about, because I wasn't considering it before...but I used to play this character as a less obsessive and more interpretive paladin, while now he is extremely judgemental and adamant in his moral decisions. And this coincided perfectly with something that just escalated more today; a previously unconsidered spat with a long-time RL friend over the fact that he is condescending. His argument is that if he doesn't think that offending a person is going to harm him, he might as well say what he wants to. My argument is that just because he wants to say it and could get away with it doesn't mean he should; that even a basic sense of morals should tell you that you shouldn't just tell people that you think that they're a sl**/idiot/whatever other bad thing just because you can and that's what you think of them in your head. He, before refusing to speak to me and trying to turn other friends to his side, retorted by stating that my "morals" were just a code of useless guidelines which wouldn't get you anywhere. The basic gist of our conflict is morals/values (helping others) versus practicality/realism (Helping yourself). I'm actually surprised to be the 'moral' one, because I'm a die-hard athiest, but this ex-friend has just entirely crossed the lines of basic human decency. And, worse off, because he is rich, good-looking, and intelligent, he sees no reprimand to his actions whatsoever (proving his point, sadly). Thus, I think that subconciously, my brain has exaggerated this to its fullest, making a character utterly devoted to rights and morals with no regard for any sense of practicality toward his nigh-impossible goal, and thus I see him as basically heroic, if to a mentally-unstable point. The recent worsening of this argument also means I might be a bit lax with my mouse/keyboard. It'll be a slow night.))

"I do not care of a meaningless spat ... over who shall help me! I am flattered ... by you, knight, but also by the hidden courtesty ... of our modesty-challenged intruder. If she ... really does have control over the fates ... then I would yet be dead. ((Your character could be confused by this line, or not, depending on how literally he/she takes things))
I am not sure whether to be honored by or fearful of this capability ... but I at least know that neither of you intends to strike me down where I stand ... That much is certain."[/I][/COLOR]

Namesake pauses, looking between the seeming opposites at his sides.

"Well, I suppose that you can work out whether ... to work in unison or not. I have my goal, and it is a goal furthered ... either way, even if the swiftness of my reactions is not quite ... satisfactory. Time is not an issue ... it simply means that one could ... rush in ahead of oneself."
He sits down on a stump with an awkward crunching sound. The motion looks less intended for comfort, and more to make a point.

"When you have considered my intentions ... and yours, then you may answer me ..."

" ... Where shall we start?"

AmberVael
2007-02-13, 07:34 PM
Aesa grins. Maybe its not that I am not modest, and it is that I am far more capable than many could ever hope to be. She seems amused by her own statement, both at its irony and the truth behind it. As for working together... I do not intend to work with anyone. However, I am not adverse to traveling with others, and I will not stifle what they intend to do... all the time.
As for where to start, perhaps we should go to the cemetary? Or the police station? Trog's Tavern is the first stop for many newcomers...

Flabbicus
2007-02-13, 07:38 PM
"I make no attempts to flatter anyone, I am merely attempting to preserve the state of any potential allies in this place."

Very well, I will explore the outlying countryside in the meantime."

Despite his statement he makes no motion to move as of yet. He remains by his steed.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-13, 08:16 PM
((I also notice that due to the aforementioned philosophy your character comes off as a total villain to me when really she's just arrogant and cynical. Freud would be having a field day with me.))

"My only transgression into the town ... was to act as the minister during a funeral ... Always a sad occasion, but rarely bad. Perhaps the ... utter lack of priests in this area should have apalled me, and I have some guilt that it did not ... but I realize that ... then I wouldn't have gotten a brief glimpse at some ... considerable residents of your town. If there was anything amiss ... at that sepulchre, it was hardly necromantic ... at least, not recently Necromantic."

He stands up to face Aesa.

"And every tale I have heard from travellers about Trog's Tavern always seems to involve at least three ... of the words 'chaos,' 'concussion,' 'profusely,' 'lawless,' 'decimated,' or 'gnome.' ... As well as ... the CONSISTENT combination of the terms 'chair' and 'impact trauma.' ... I doubt that this site ... is any den of Necromancers, and I am sure that my type is not the kind to fit in there. If anything, I would unwittingly ... continue the chain of descriptions above."
He looks to Oblrecht for any expression which might add credence to the rumors, then continues.

"And I doubt that the local police would have anything on the malpracticioners of Necromancy, for it is only those who use the magick honorably for combat and research only ... that are monitored at all. Typical. If anything, I shall explore the ... whole town guided by those suggestions ... including this almost surreal interpretation of a tavern, and the government's structures as a whole. Good knight, you may follow me directly ... or go your way, keeping in the mind to report anything that you deem important to me. Either decision is equally beneficial to me, although I would suggest that we split for now ... it would mean two pairs of eyes to use, and would allow the means to continue even if one is ... detained. I will always, eventually, return to this hill, and that would be ... where you could look for me in the case of a drastic situation."

Namesake turns to Aesa, then back to Oblrecht as he speaks this:

"I do not trust you, fate weaver, to any obligation but that which you volunteer for. I thank you for your sage, if rude, advice. And, Sir Corvus ... I can not insist further ... on the importance of these facts before we begin ... purposeless violence will reflect badly upon ... us until we are sure that the Necromancer is a true defiler and not a mere practicioner ... and as well, remember that undead are seperate ... many created of their own will. We do not investigate nor arrest ... an undead who has done nothing wrong ... Save your energy for the Necromancers."

And, now close enough to see people by the gates, he begins to walk again.

((Perfect stopping point if you wanna start up a few different adventures as these chars, or if you wanna just take a break off. I, myself, am working on two other characters whose concept I like. This thread can be continued indefinitely when you do carry the context of the character's other experiences into the big Necro-hunt. This more for flabby's sake, because Ver, I'm pretty sure that you're just an illusionary duplicate of your characters, and are already busy with other things.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and It's not like the hill is mine, either. I'm hopeful that I've provided a useful location for many characters of "questionable repute." Just be aware that you might run into a most-likely-dissaproving Paladin (or, if you count an ex-paladin, two).))

AmberVael
2007-02-13, 08:29 PM
((Yes. I invented Aesa's illusionary projection when she got stuck somewhere else and I did not want to move her, but I did want to play as her. So she can be in multiple places at once, to an extent.))

Aesa follows after Namesake. Well, if you are not going to just slaughter every necromancer you see, I think I know just the... man... to take you to. I warn you though, he may not see eye to eye with your beliefs, and if you insult him or challenge him he might do unspeakable things to you... Aesa breaks off her ominous speech and laughs. Like turn you into a trout. He might be in Trog's Tavern. Should we go there?

Flabbicus
2007-02-13, 08:43 PM
(( When you say ex-paladin, do you mean me? :smallconfused: And my character has nothing better to do, everything else I've done always ended up with him sitting around at Trog's forever and/or having inner dialogues. ))

Olbrecht nods a bit at the description of Trog's Tavern. He pulls out a whet stone and starts mechanically sharpening his blade.

Very well, although I will tarry a while here first.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-13, 09:08 PM
((Let me re-read your char bio. I thought it said fighter/ex-pal, but I might be mistaken and/or have read someone else's bio. In which case, those reading this may consider this locale MORE of a threat. Lucky lucky! And look, if I don't get around to making the two chars I'm thinking of, I'm (A) working on some art for the locations in town and (B) I'll probably be in Trog's too, albiet with less inner monologues and more being a big pious killjoy.))

Flabbicus
2007-02-13, 09:30 PM
(( Yes, you are correct, I was just checking if you were referring to me. He most likely is an ex-paladin/knight, but he still has some spell-like powers. Such as a Vampiric Touchesque ability. ))

NecroPaladin
2007-02-13, 11:30 PM
Namesake arrives back at the burning platform on Hangman Hill, content with his successful diplomacy with Destro. As he shuts himself down to "sleep" again, he doesn't consider that he must not look like a very ordinary, unassuming corpse if he's holding a trout.

((Namesake : Out.))

Flabbicus
2007-02-14, 10:06 AM
Olbrecht finishes sharpening his blade. While putting the whetstone into one of the many pouches on his horse's saddle he places one of his feet in the the foothold and jumps atop it.

"I will return after making a thorough examination of the fields. Hopefully there won't be anything out of the ordinary."

NecroPaladin
2007-02-14, 09:42 PM
Namesake rises and leaves. The trout has mysteriously vanished.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-16, 01:18 AM
Namesake stumbles back to the gallows, hood shredded, deathmasked, spitting arsenic, and covered in goo. THAT...was a day.

Lacking any more finnesse, he falls face forward into the mud and begins to recharge for the next day.

Namesake wakes up much, much later and leaves.

Flabbicus
2007-02-17, 10:43 AM
The fallen paladin rides his horse swiftly back towards the hill. He dismounts his horse and ties its reins up to the bars in the fence. Making his way up the hill he glances around for any signs of movement; reviled by the smell of the dead and their decay he pulls the cloth covering up his face.

Olbrecht stands silently by the stereotypical gnarled tree that all gallows have while waiting for any signs of life, or unlife, from the area around him.

Deathcow
2007-02-18, 01:10 PM
Ba'el appears, looking cautiously around for any sign of the Forsaken that he was fleeing.

I suppose that this is as good a place as any to rest... assuming that that odd walking-corpse does not mind... CORPSE? ARE YOU HERE?

*Looks around for Namesake*

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 01:17 PM
"Oh man, I just thought of a great joke: How do you get a thrall out of a tree? CUT THE ROPE! Hahahahaha, classic!" Descartes says, maneuvering around Hangman Hill in his latest dead host body. This one is a young maiden, whose long, golden locks conveniently hide the gaping hold in her head where the small brain squid is occupying himself.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-18, 01:24 PM
Ba'el appears, looking cautiously around for any sign of the Forsaken that he was fleeing.

I suppose that this is as good a place as any to rest... assuming that that odd walking-corpse does not mind... CORPSE? ARE YOU HERE?

*Looks around for Namesake*

((Not here. And he wouldn't mind unless you're a necromancer.))

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 03:00 PM
"Hey, shut the truck up!" Descartes shouts at the thrall screaming about corpses.

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 03:08 PM
Olbrecht stirs slightly. He calls out in a raspy voice that sounds like steel grating against granite, "Who is there?"

V Junior
2007-02-18, 03:43 PM
((The sun seems to have set early- a strange red light is low in the sky, and it seemes to be approaching. A girl, seemingly demonic, steps out of it.))

I beleive you may want to go back to town... it is not safe here. She looks out over the other side of the hill. I'm afraid that it's a large party of kobolds. They have masterwork bows and swords, and it doesn't bode well for people caught out here. I myself can escape; yet I must protect you. The kobold lands are not far from here, and this patrol can get backup easily. She returns into the light. Run, men of new and old. These plains are no longer safe...

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 04:10 PM
The knight turns to face the demonic girl. Seemingly perturbed by the interruption he hisses, "I know how to protect myself duaite, especially from kobolds." A small aura appears around his greatsword as an indication of what he can do.

(( Duaite means evil spirit, it sounds cool and is from a book I'm reading. ))

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 04:19 PM
A sigil ringed gates suddenly springs into existence atop the hill. From said portal steps a certain Traveler who has been frequenting the Town for about a week now.

Maph'tey by name.

He glances about his surroundings with a fair degree of displeasure, noting that his rather comfortable shoes are now covered in fetid mud. He's actually up to his ankles in the stuff, but that's not the point of the story, really.

Maph'tey adjusts his wings into a more comfortable position and proceeds to grab a hold of his lithe tail if for no other reason than to make sure it doesn't drag in the muck. He surveys the corpses.

"This sure is a cheery place..."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 04:24 PM
"Dammit, why are there so many thralls around this place that aren't dead?"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 04:30 PM
The Traveler regards the fair maiden and her not so fair maiden like comments.

"Who's a thrall, now?"

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 04:30 PM
Olbrecht finally decides that its time to get up. He pushes himself off of the ground and pulls back from the tree he had been leaning against for the past day. His body cracks and groans as he stands and he winces slightly as the circulation returns to his legs. He attempts to wipe some of the mud and grime off of his cloak and armor, but it only serves to spread it.

The knight growls in displeasure and keeps his hand on the hilt of his blade. Seeing the bicolored winged figure atop the crest of the hill his combat training kicks in. He dives behind the tree and circles around the hill attempting to not be seen, as invisibly as a man in armor and vivid colors can hide.

He surveys Maph'tey from a few feet away.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 04:31 PM
"You, for one, you stupid...chicken...thing." Descartes folds his/her arms at Maph'tey.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 04:37 PM
((You really have a gift when it comes to getting on the bad side of my characters. But I think Descartes is that way with everyone.))

Maph'tey mirrors the woman's gesture. In doing so he releases his tail and it flops into the mire. He glances over his shoulder at it.

"Damnit all. I should petrify all this crap just to make a point," he fumes. Maph'tey glances back at the woman. "And who, precisely, am I a thrall of?"

"And why precisely shouldn't I set you on fire for calling me a chicken?"

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 04:41 PM
The knight stands up slightly and makes to dash towards the pair, but he stumbles over a root. He lifts himself up, his face plastered in dirt, and maneuvers towards them. He wipes some of the mud off of his face and spits downwind.

He halts and raises his voice to a shout, "Halt! Who are you people and what is your business here?" He slips slightly as he says this, making him look even less intimidating.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 04:47 PM
((That's the reason for Descartes' entire existence, man))

"Well, if you and your Dizzy wing there keep flapping your damn mouths, I could probably have the both of you whipped in a couple of minutes." Descartes says, ignoring the second thrall who's entered the scene.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 04:53 PM
((Woo! Someone finally got the Guilty Gear reference. *hands Nevermore a cookie*))

"Look," Maph'tey begins, trying his best to remain calmish. "I didn't come here looking for a fight."

"I wouldn't mind one. Do you have any idea how long it has been since I got to disintegrate someone?"

"Shut up Ruin."

"Hey, I'm just saying that now would be a great opp-"

"Shut up Ruin!"
"Shut up Ruin!"

Maph'tey huffs and glairs at the knight.

"I did come here because I randomly opened a gate to somewhere in Town. I wanted to see somewhere I haven't been yet."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 04:57 PM
((Well, of course. Who else has sentient wings?))

Descartes looks at the knight and grins inwardly. He puts a hand on his head and falls over. "Help me, brave knight! This vagrant was attacking me!"

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 04:58 PM
(( Glair? Surely you are not referring to a preparation made from egg white? ))

The knight looks at Descartes' host curiously before glancing back towards the guy with the freaky talking wings.

"Ah, this is not the most... pleasant of places." In the meantime he attempts to detect chaos on them both.

"From what I could see you two were merely conversing, that is not a crime."

(( ^ Jesutron surely had wings. ))

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 04:59 PM
"You don't understand, brave knight! He was threatening me! the horrible things he said he would do to me! Oh ye gods, why?!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 05:08 PM
The blue wing is exceptionally chaotic. The rest of Maph'tey, not so much.

The Traveler gives the 'maiden' another one of his looks. This look is a little bit different than the last one, mainly because his eyes are currently burning like a pair of silver stars.

"This creature is an illithid," the brazen wing states flatly. Apparently those otherwise useless class features of 'Illithid Slayer' are actually going to come in handy for once.

"She is is she? One of those partially developed ones?"

"No, Master Maph'tey. There is an illithid larva within her skull cavity."

"That's really disgusting."

"Now can I disintegrate her?"

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:10 PM
((Dammit, all your characters are like equipped specifically to sniff me out, aren't they?))

"Err...um...uh...See what horrid lies he spins about me, just to save his own wretched neck?! The horror, brave knight!"

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 05:13 PM
Olbrecht looks helplessly between the two (or four if you count the wings). Unsure of what to do he approaches them slowly, unsheathing his sword and holding it in his right hand as he moves forward. He makes up his mind and moves to stand by Descartes.

"You will not lay a hand on her."

He puts his hand on his shoulder reassuringly, and attempts to immobilize her with a Vampiric Touch-like attack.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:14 PM
The body is paralyzed, but still moves under Descartes' will. He doesn't even realize something happened to his host body. "Yes, slay that vile man!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 05:19 PM
((Nah. Regiji is just really observant. Illithid Slayer is just great for psionic fighter types. I mean, seriously, why wouldn't a psychic warrior want to grab it? 9/10 manifester level, full BAB, and immunity to scrying and mind affecting effects? Yes please.))

"I said we aren't here to fight, Ruin. That can be directed at you too, mister knight."

"Pah! You never let me disintegrate anyone."

"I consider that to be a great show of personal restraint on my part."

"This creature has doubtless slain dozens, if not hundreds, of Towns people during its life time. It is not wise to allow it to live."

"We aren't here to met out vigilante justice, Refuge. We'll let the knight take care of it."

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 05:28 PM
(( That's probably not the wisest course of action... ))

The knight looks mildly surprised that his attack didn't visibly affect the creature.

"May your sins be forgiven..."

He pulls his hand away from her shoulder and thrusts his palm out into the back of her head.

(( Something along the lines of KLUDD! (http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/7/f/f7fe9a83f8e637875165f9bfcb4dc9e5.jpg) ))

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:29 PM
Descartes very ungracefully does a few frontflips as the palm slaps himto his head. He gets up, his body all muddy. "You assjester! Why'd you do that?!" He says. The knight may notice his head is now thick with blood.

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 05:32 PM
The knight turns a little to face Maph'tey. "I'm sorry, did you want me to inflict the vigilante justice on her? If not, its a little too late."

I was attempting to incapacitate you parasite. Hopefully you won't mind if I put your carrier to rest?"

He runs towards Descartes, his sword-arm outstretched.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:35 PM
Gods dammit, why can't I ever catch a break?

Descartes tries one last time for the little girl ploy. He falls backwards melodramatically and screams out in as high pitched a voice as the rapidly shredding vocal chords will allow. He even forces out some tears - A real Broadway performance.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 05:40 PM
"Snrk... AHAHAHAHAHA! Ho... That was beautiful!" comes the icy voice of Ruin. "You are, by far, my most favorite knight ever. When I take over Maph'tey's body I'll consider leaving you alive when I kill everyone else."

Maph'tey glares at the wing again. After a few moments he turns his attention to the now mud and blood covered 'maiden'.

His eyes still burning with silver flame he gestures toward the woman's location, causing a glassy, six foot wide dome to begin growing up around her. She may very well be able to leap free. Even a hand through the soon to be filled hole at the top will interrupt the power. Hopefully she doesn't know that and will end up being incased.

((Not invincible. You could bust through it if need be, it would just take a bit of effort.))

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 05:45 PM
The knight decides its best not to further irk the obviously insane outsider. He feels as useless as Bumblebee as he watches the energy begin to cover the girl.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:47 PM
Descartes, suddenly realizing he's being incased, flails around wildly. Conveniently enough, a foot penetrates the growing barrier and it disappears?

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 05:52 PM
Sure enough, the action of interrupting the quickly crystallizing dome causes the alien substance to evaporate back into the eather. Maph'tey looks annoyed by this.

"I need to make those things bigger..."

"Can I disintegrate her now?"

"Damnit Ruin! No! You can't disintegrate her now or at any point in the near future!"

"Fine."

The general vicinity around the maiden abruptly becomes a two foot deep pool of molten rock. Unfortunately for Olbrecht 'general vicinity' includes him as well.

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 05:55 PM
The knight howls in pain and attempts to sprint away from the scalding hot burning rocks beneath his feet. Unfortunately for him, the metal boots he's wearing do not do anything to dull the pain. Oddly enough the sword remained firmly in his grasp the whole time.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 05:56 PM
"This is getting weird." Descartes says as he finds his body burning up in the pool of molten rock. He casts a Psionic shield around his body and lifts himself up into the air. "Cut that crap out!" He shouts down to Maph'tey.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 06:03 PM
"I agree with the illithid. Stop trying to set people on fire without my permission."

"Fine. You get no help from me then." the wing huffs.

"Look... knight. I'm sorry about that. I'll see about getting you healed as soon as I can. As for you," he points at Descartes' host who is, in all likelihood, still on fire due to the contact with the lava. "Why don't you just go back to the underdark and stop burrowing into people's heads? It's disgusting."

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 06:06 PM
The knight winces and reaches out to an upturned root. He drains some of the life from it and the pain subsides. Pushing himself up off the ground, again, he looks askance at Maph'tey. "Keep it under control next time."

He hefts the blade up and looks over towards Descartes.

"Resilient little fellow aren't you?"

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 06:12 PM
"I'm tired of you thralls questioning my morality. Survival of the fittest, have you ever heard of it? I'm Fittest incarnate!"

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 06:17 PM
"Parasitism does not make you the Fittest Incarnate. It makes you a weak babe who fancies himself a man, albeit in a man's body." He continues to wax eloquent for a few more minutes, but hopefully no one listens or cares.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 06:19 PM
"Actually, survival of the fittest doesn't refer to the creature most able to survive, it refers to the creature able to leave the most offspring. Since you're apparently stuck in a larval form that means you're highly unfit," Maph'tey explains.

"And in terms of survivability I think a little purple blob is on the lacking side. I've seen nasty critters before. Illithid are not one of the things I file under 'stuff I don't want to piss off'."

"I believe what Master Maph'tey is trying to say is that he doesn't feel that you are very dangerous compared to other beasts we have met. I am inclined to disagree. I find your race most disagreeable, degenerate, and diabolical."

They might be several other things that begin with 'D', but the brazen wing doesn't mention them.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 06:22 PM
"Parasitism so counts as a form of survival, you dumb fool! Just because the only thing you meatbags have to do to survive is sit in your little house and snack on....Munchy...Snack Cakes all damn day doesn't exactly qualify you to tell me how hard my existence is!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 06:34 PM
"Snack cakes...? Look. I'm making a point of not killing you dead right now. I'm telling you to go slink back into whatever pit spawned you. I'm telling you this because, despite the fact that you're a murderous little monster, I have no desire to kill you dead," Maph'tey states. "I've done more than my fair share of killing and I would like to avoid anymore if at all possible."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 06:37 PM
"The "pit" that spawned me is long gone, you meatbag. I don't give two craps if you are in the middle of some spiritual "walk the Earth" blah-blah blah Cain-esque journey, but don't think that just because you are achieving some sort of spiritual awakening it gives you any right to dictate my existence and tell me about my own life! No one does that, especially not a useless thrall!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 06:40 PM
Maph'tey does his best to figure out what the hell the squid is talking about, but the only person he has ever heard of named 'Cane' was the guy Gent told him about. Frankly he doesn't get the connection. Something else clicks in his mind though.

"The village you came from was destroyed, wasn't it?"

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 06:45 PM
"Your gift for deduction astounds." Descartes says sarcastically.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 06:55 PM
"Well, I can see why you're pissed off at, well, everyone in general then," the Traveler responds. "I know an illithid requires the psychic energy of its prey in order to survive. I also know that most people here wouldn't be very happy about having their brains drilled out. Have you considered asking the Distinguished Gentlemen about something to provide you with said energy without killing people? I would be willing to wager that fewer people would be hounding you to the ends of the world."

"Master Maph'tey, you can't possibly be suggesting that we allow this vile creature to live?"

"I think it deserves the chance."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 07:00 PM
"No. I shalln't shun the way of my brethren."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 07:04 PM
"The brethren that abandoned you to your death?"

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 07:10 PM
"Shut up, you know nothing! Don't pretend like you can even fathom my culture, okay?!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 07:22 PM
"Well, I would say I can do a reasonable job of fathoming your culture since I've studied it pretty in-depth. Required for my training and stuff. I actually spent some time in an illithid city back home."

"Which is where I developed my marked distaste for them."

"They seemed to like it in Dead Space, what with the lack of sun and all. People usually get forced to make new plans when their major plot gets foiled by the lacking of one of its major elements."

Maph'tey sighs.

"Look, you don't owe them anything. The Elder Brain and everyone else jumped ship, I would imagine because the village got overrun. You and the rest of the larva were expendable. More could be spawned. Survival of the fittest again."

"There has to be a better way of living than skulking around and ripping people's brains out. Even normal illithid don't do that."

Maph'tey notes that the illithid has apparently gotten itself caught in a dead time zone. With a sigh he manifests Fission on himself. One Maph'tey wanders off to the OmniShop while one stays and watches.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:02 PM
"Illithids eat thrall brains, you should know that. I just do it to survive."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:08 PM
"Yes, I'm aware of the fact that illithid eat the brains of other sapient creatures. I'm also aware that whoever or whatever created your species thought it would be funny if you would die if you didn't, thus placing you at odds with pretty much every other race in existence," Maph'tey responds. "I'm telling you that you can survive without needing to kill people. Gent could supply you with something that would provide all the same nutrients, both physical and psychic, that you get from brains."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:11 PM
"I don't need any help from anyone! Especially not a god damned thrall!"

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:18 PM
"This creature is a danger to everyone. It refuses to accept the path of non-conflict even when it has nothing to lose. Except its worthless pride."

"Eat my brain then."

"What!?!"
"What!?!"

"I can create exact duplicates of myself pretty much at will. They have all the well of psionic power I have. You wouldn't get to ride my body around like a pony though. It's rigged to crystallize and subsequently shatter a few minutes after I die."

"It would be a nuisance to me, but a nuisance is worth it if it means saving gods knows how many lives."

Sophistemon
2007-02-18, 08:21 PM
((I really love the fact that my store makes a convenient plot device. More business for me!))

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:21 PM
"As much as the idea of devouring your worthless brains intrigue me, there's no point if you're not going to die." Descartes grins sadistically.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:29 PM
((Floyd just got really sadistic Oo))

Maph'tey sighs and does one of those little face-palm deals.

"I would die. There are just more of me. Even if there weren't Old Prancibald has gods knows how many fail safes built into me to make sure that I don't stay dead for very long."

"Look. You said that the only reason you're sucking out brains is because you need to do it in order to survive. Now you've just informed me that isn't the primary reason you kill. You also enjoy people being dead. If you're so worried about people coming back to life I would suggest you find another Town to murder people in. The populace here has the tendency to get Resurrected when they die. Hell, I'll bet she," he points at Descartes' host. "Will be alive no more than a day or two after you find a new body."

"If you do this just to survive I can understand your problem. If you're doing it for any other reason you aren't going to leave here alive."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:32 PM
((Sorry, I had just posted as Floyd in Trog's before this one))

"Maybe I was joking. Or maybe I wasn't." The sadistic grin widens a little more, "I don't know. Humans to me are like cows to you - it may be sad to see them die, but I don't put as much stock in their deaths as that of mine or my brethren."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:35 PM
"Then perhaps I should rephrase this. If you value your continued existence then I think it would be wise to consider my offer."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:36 PM
"Oh wow, forcing me to change my entire life to suit your own view and your own idea of morals. How surprising for a thrall."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:40 PM
"Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell," Maph'tey responds. "But hey, you guys force 'thralls' to be your slaves. I figure I'm being a little more civil about it."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:41 PM
"No, you're just deluding yourself into thinking that." Descartes says. By this time, the fire that has slowly been creeping up his host's body has burnt away most of its flesh. Half of it's original face remains, and the half that was exposed skull crumbles away slowly, revealing the vile purple octopod underneath.

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:46 PM
"That very well may be," Maph'tey responds. "But beliefs are always real in their consequences. The consequence in this case being that I'll kill you if I find out that you burrowed into an unwilling host's head. And believe me," his eyes flash silver. "I have ways of finding out."

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:47 PM
"Why should you even care? Like you said yourself, my hosts will most likely be revived in a few days."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 08:55 PM
"I don't like seeing people used like that," he responds simply. "Besides. Some might not even want to come back. I wouldn't really be able to blame them."

A gate suddenly pops into existence next to Maph'tey and an amulet with a fragment of brain coral hanging on it drops out. Maph'tey examines the item for a moment.

"Find a host. Put this on them. You won't need to find another. It will provide you with all the nourishment you need. You can survive. You won't be hunted. Hell, you might even have enough time to develop your psionics beyond the basics of your people."

The amulet drifts up to the brain squid. As it does Maph'tey motions at one of the corpses which proceeds to be restored into a perfectly suitable body, though no soul is in it.

"You have what you need to survive. Why throw it away out of spite?"

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 08:57 PM
"I...don't need help."

Rebonack
2007-02-18, 09:05 PM
((I have to go in about ten minutes. This will be the last post for me for at least two hours.))

Maph'tey doesn't respond, instead his body begins to slowly crystallize.

"Damn it all, Fission's duration ran out. Before I explode I want you to tell you something the Elder Brain imparted to me during my studies with the illithid. It said, 'Alwa-'"

Then he explodes in a shower of silver sheened shards of crystallized time.

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 10:21 PM
Olbrecht stops watching silently, which looks suspiciously like sleeping, and moves back over to his stereotypical tree. He opens an ancient tome and starts to thumb through the pages, using a little fox fire to provide light.

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 11:07 PM
Descartes floats down, the shield around him disintegrating. He looks at the brain coral necklace in his hand, unsure of what to do.

Flabbicus
2007-02-18, 11:09 PM
The knight hums a creepy melodic tune to himself as he thumbs through the book. His player decides he should start reading as well.

Rebonack
2007-02-19, 12:29 AM
The fragments of the Maph'tey double remain exceptionally exploded. To further bring notice to themselves they begin to evaporate back into the eather.

The recently fixed up host body is still sitting proped up against the gallows wearing a vacant look.

Nevrmore
2007-02-19, 12:32 AM
Descartes just stares at the necklace for a long time.

Flabbicus
2007-02-19, 02:06 PM
The tree slowly wilts and withers, its power being drawn to another. A man in bright armor that had long lost its luster and wearing a piece of cloth that covered his mouth and neck drew off the life from the land. The figures skin was pale, almost alabaster, and worn. However, the most striking feature of this figure was his eyes.

His eyes did not smolder or burn, nor were they their normal blackish color. Instead, they appeared as mirrors, reflecting the world around him and looking stoically onwards. All vestiges of humanity seemed to have vanished, and the man, or shell of man, looked down towards the town.

Show me.
Very well. Beware.

A small wavering aura of gray fog wrapped around him, and he seemed a world apart.

[hr]

A short while later the figure stumbles as the power leaves his body. He staggers down the hillside and grabs ahold of his horse's mane. He removes its tether to the fence and mounts it. They ride towards town.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-20, 12:22 AM
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Namesake pops into existence 30 feet above the hill. He *SPLOT*s down into the mud, which envelops his entire body. He isn't getting up for a while.

Nevrmore
2007-02-20, 02:47 PM
Descartes barely notices Namesake's presence, too enveloped in staring at the necklace given to him. His body (well, not technically his) may not be moving, but his brain was running at miles per minute.

Flabbicus
2007-02-22, 04:27 PM
Olbrecht raises himself off of the mucky ground, a loud sucking noise follows this action, and he rubs off some of the grime from his face and armor. The world around stood still, the gnats and flies infesting a nearby carcass provided a disturbing, yet oddly comforting, tone for the hill. He stretches his back with a satisfying crack, not unlike that of a man snapping another's neck.

A steady line in the mud follows him as he trudges over to the expansive gallows that fringe the top (or I would assume as such). He pulls a bent rusty nail out of the ground, surveying it with an intent eye. He pulls out two battered pieces of parchment, and scrawls down a copy of the former's contents onto the latter.

It reads:

Namesake, I have found a list of the active necromancers in Town who would use their powers to revive the corpses of the just and good to serve in their evil and corrupted armies.

-An undead lich of forty years
-Hikato ("Maerok") Doren
-Arha, who is apparently recently deceased
-Saurous
-There were also some manner of undead-construct creatures that have been plaguing the town, we might want to check up on that. Also, there is a large battle raging between the goblins and dwarves, -I tried to assist them before with diplomacy, but it didn't work out that well. Despite the common conceptions surrounding their race, the dwarves initiated the genocide and are to blame.

(( I edited Nevrmind's list as Zurvan is omniscient and he left out a few active necromancers and I took the liberty of taking out a few inactive ones as well. ))

He bangs the the nail through the parchment and into the old withered wood of the gallows. He walks into the distance, leaving his horse with its feedbag, to return at a time when other people are active here. Or when I feel it to be convenient. Olbrecht delivers a stare that could shatter bones, into the face of Descartes, who might fall over on the ground, writhing in pain.

[hr]

The knight returns and retains his vigil. He eventually falls asleep as does his player.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-22, 11:30 PM
Rizzen, ValKey, and Ishmale wander in from the Woods.

ValKey
2007-02-22, 11:31 PM
This place sure has a depressing sounding name. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds*she said skipping along, smiling at Ishmale*Your not a bad singer *she squeezed Rizzen's hand looking around her surroundings*

Uberblah
2007-02-22, 11:33 PM
Ishmale quickly takes stock of his surroundings before looking at ValKey.
Thanks. I just hope we don't meet up with the Wicked Witch of the West, if you know what I mean.
Ishmale chuckles slightly.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-22, 11:34 PM
She's preoccupied at the moment.
He casually gazes around, noting the distinct smell of death and decay in the air.
Well isn't this place charming.

Uberblah
2007-02-22, 11:37 PM
Ishmale looks relieved.
That's good. Yeah, I noticed it's 'charm' right away.

ValKey
2007-02-22, 11:40 PM
I don't really want to see a wizard either.*she said thinking of her grandfather*Yuck I don't much care for this place at all, it seems to fit the name*shrugs*well we can have fun anywhere we go, right?

Rebonack
2007-02-22, 11:41 PM
"Braaaaiiinns..." interjects a zombie as it begins to shamble toward the trio.

Uberblah
2007-02-22, 11:42 PM
Ishmale thinks about that.
Yeah, I guess we can. Look at what we did with the woods.
Ishmale smiles thinking of Akil still sleeping at the hut.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-22, 11:44 PM
Rizzen starts to hum slightly as he manifests a disrupting mace and swings it at the zombie's face.

ValKey
2007-02-22, 11:48 PM
*sees the zombie, and starts to sing*If I only had a brain!*she smirks over at Ishmale*To have fun wherever we go should be our motto!*watches Rizzen*I could just set that zombie on fire..

Rebonack
2007-02-22, 11:51 PM
The zombie obligingly crumbles into a pile of dust.

About a half dozen more claw their way out of the soil that had drank up the blood of the wicked for ages (or at least for the year to two the Town has been around).

"Braaaaaains?" asks one.

"Brrrrrrraaaiiiins!" replies another.

They begin to close on the group that had been looking for something fun.

Uberblah
2007-02-22, 11:51 PM
And I could blast it with electricity. So I think they all should get a good dose of it.
Ishmale raises his arms and huge bolts of electricity from the heavens strike at all the zombies.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-22, 11:52 PM
Sorry Val, looks like we get some action anyway.
He shrugs apologetically and charges the zombies, swinging for heads.

ValKey
2007-02-22, 11:57 PM
*she didn't find zapping zombies fun, but she knew the boys liked it so why not let them have fun? She could always do something she liked to do later. She starts singing, hurling fireballs at them after juggling them. Pretty much she was trying to have fun while doing something she didn;t enjoy* Ooh girls just wanna have fun

Rebonack
2007-02-22, 11:59 PM
"Brrraaaai-*ZORP*

In general, zombies don't fair to well against having an oodle and a half of current course through them. It usually causes them to be burnt into little charred zombie bits.

These zombies don't appear to be an exception to that rule.

It isn't long before the smallish undead hoard is just plain dead.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:00 AM
Ishmale looks over at ValKey while still raining down electricity.
How appropriate.
He laughs a little and his concentration wavers slightly. As a direct result the electricity ceases and Ishmale looks around.
Well, that was quick.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:03 AM
I guess I shouldn't sing while you guys are fighting. How do bards get away with it? *she rubs her chin*It can;t be that easy....can it?

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:05 AM
Rizzen lets the mace disipate from his hand.
Fighting zombies is so dull. They never do anything other than walk straight at you. And die when you hit them. Can't forget that part.
He sighs and walks back over to ValKey and Ishmale.
And now we do....?

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:06 AM
It doesn't bother me. I like whistling while I work.
Ishmale starts whistling the tune to the stated reference. He stops a few seconds later.
Well, probably not, but we may just get lucky.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:10 AM
I don;t know why you guys think fighting is so fun. Why don't you have a mock battle with each other or something if you think it is so fun?*she sticks out her tongue at them, then laughs*Ok I admit the fireball juggling part was pretty fun and as for what to do..I am out of ideas right now except for that one I just suggested

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:11 AM
The mock battle one?
A large club materializes in his hand.
As for thinking fighting is fun....I wouldn't call it fun so much as a nice rush. I just like the excitement.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:14 AM
Ishmale turns to ValKey then Rizzen.
I would have to agree. It's more the sensation I get from fighting that I like. What are you planning on doing with that, Rizzen?
Ishmale eyes the club cautiously.

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 12:21 AM
"Brrraaaaaaainssss...." a zombie agrees as it reaches out of the ground and grabs at Rizzen's ankles.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:24 AM
Ishmale sees the hands and forms a longsword and attemps to chop off the zombies hands.
I knew it wasn't going to be quiet for long. We showed up.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:29 AM
Rizzen notices the hands and calmly lifts his feet up to crush them.

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 12:32 AM
The zombie gets in hands crushed pretty well. It manages to get its head above the surface just far enough for the psionic blade of Ishmale to cleave it asunder.

From under the gallows an odd squelching sound is heard. Several moments later a dozen or more zombies claw their way out from under the structure.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:32 AM
*she shrugs*I don't like it very much really.But I will let you guys have your fun with your fighting if you want to do it

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:33 AM
If it bothers you we can always leave, just remember that at least, Val.
Rizzen extends a hand and shadowy tendrils shoot out at the zombies, attempting to grab and quite literally rip them apart.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:34 AM
Ishmale laughs a little.
Sounds good. Now, if you'll excuse me.
He runs at the horde of zombies forming three more longswords and slashing all at the zombies.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:36 AM
It's only fair to let you do what you want*she chuckles, watching them fight the zombies*But I think I will wanna leave soon

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 12:41 AM
As the pair rip into the zombies something rather nasty oozes its way out from under the gallows. It appears to be an ooze of some kind. How fitting. The creature is about fifteen feet across, jet black and bearing an opalescent sheen like oil on water. A general mishmash of bones can be seen suspended in the creature.

It slinks over to a corpse and envelopes it. Moments later a new zombie shambles its way out of the slime.

"Brrrraaaaaiinnsss..." comments the newly created zombie.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:44 AM
Well isn't that a pleasant sight. ValKey, care to led some light magic or something? Ishmale throw some fire will you.
Rizzen's tendrils continue to try and rip apart everything that's a zombie that they can grab.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:45 AM
Ishmale stops running at the sight of the creature-thing.
Well it looks like that may cause a bit of a problem.
Ishmale experiments by trying to rip throught the creature with fire and electricity.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:50 AM
*she thinks of doing something silly since this doesn't really seem like much of a fight*I am just not really too into this

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:52 AM
Well now we have a reason to do it at least, we can't allow a zombie spawning blob to run rampant. 'Tis dangerous to the random unarmed NPC's normal people of the world.
His tendrils attempt to shred the blob while they're over there.

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 12:53 AM
Flame and thunder blast into the creature, causing it to wiggle and jiggle like a bowl full of rancid meat filled jelly. The creature doesn't appear to be harmed by the attack. Rather it appears to grow slightly. Now that Ishmale is closer he might notice that the ground the ooze had, well, oozed across is slick and white. Almost as though the water in the mud had been turned into frost.

The zombies are ripped apart quite fabulously by the shadow tentacles. The blob, on the other hand, doesn't shred so well. Trying to grapple the thing is a lot like trying to nail jell-o to a wall.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 12:54 AM
Ishmale notices the growth and backs off.
Well that didn't help. At all. Any other suggestions?

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 12:56 AM
Rizzen frowns and sends a blast of freezing shadows at the blob.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 12:56 AM
I guess I have to fight the zombies for the good of the town*she makes a motion with her hand, making a weapon appear just because she wanted something different than usaul. She slices at the zombies heads*

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 01:00 AM
Ishmale sees ValKey attack with surprise.
Hey. What happened to your anti-fighting campaign? Not that I'm objecting with what you're doing. Especially with the current situation occuring.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 01:03 AM
One of my many mottos is I will try everything at least once, who knows I might enjoy it*and learning how to fight might come in handy later*

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 01:04 AM
The zombies provide little resistance to any sort of attack, even if the attack is coming from a non-combatant.

As the icy attack strikes the ooze it gives off a high-pitch wail not to dissimilar to the sound of air escaping from a balloon whose neck has been stretched tight. The strange create appears slightly smaller than before. It doesn't appear to like this very much and so it begins oozing down off the hill.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 01:06 AM
Rizzen grins.
This is more like it.
He bounds after the ooze, throwing freezing shadows periodically as well as opening a rift that assaults the ooze with bolts of ice lightning.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 01:06 AM
Ishmale shrugs.
Who does know? How many mottos do you have?!
Allthewhile Ishmale is trying to figure out what to do with the blob he's come to reffer to as the Blob of Undeath. He sees Rizzen handling it quite well and shrugs off the whole matter.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 01:09 AM
As many mottos as I need*she makes a motion making some rocks pummel at the creature, trying to push it off the hill*

Rebonack
2007-02-23, 01:13 AM
The Blob of Undeath doesn't make it too far before Rizzen's attacks have caused it to shrivel away into nothing but a pile of bleached bones.

Conveniently, no new zombies spawn in the meantime.

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 01:16 AM
Rizzen grins, extremely satisfied. He walks back to ValKey and Ishmale.
What do you know, it does help to know your molds, 'twas the only reason I knew what that thing was vulnerable to. It acted exactly like this one mold whose name escapes me....Well enough of my bragging, where to next?

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 01:17 AM
Ishmale just shrugs.
Ok.
He turns and notices that BoU is gone.
Good job, all. Let's get out of here before anything else happens.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 01:19 AM
I agree with the moving on part. Does this town have anywhere fun to go to? Like..a park or something?

Chaotic Bob
2007-02-23, 01:27 AM
((it does now :smallamused: ))

Yes, I believe there's one on the south side of Town.

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 01:28 AM
Well let's go there.

ValKey
2007-02-23, 01:33 AM
*she takes Rizzen and Ishmales hands*Well what are you guys waiting for, let's get going before the zombies respawn!

Uberblah
2007-02-23, 01:36 AM
All three head off towards the park.

Flabbicus
2007-02-24, 12:58 PM
Olbrecht sits up and sighs. He searches around for Namesake for several minutes and then decides to leave.

[hr]

The knight returns, and unties his horse. He mounts it and rides over to the mountains.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-25, 02:39 PM
A zombie shambles through the mud.

"Braaaaaaaaiiiinnnnssss....."

"Braaaaiiiiiiinsssss....."

"Braaaii-GWURLK!"

A gloved hand shoots up from the mud and pulls the zombie under. A few spatters of dark reddish-blackish fluid spurt out of the mud, and then Namesake rises, perfectly upright, in a kind of reverse sink. He pulls his shillelagh up with him, gives the shallow grave a few more whacks and then walks over to Olbrecht's post.

"I see ... well ... it's a pity that after all this commotion I am in no sort to fight the necromancers today. Rather, I shall see ... what I may partake in without getting myself in too deep."

He promptly turns and walks into the town.

Flabbicus
2007-03-12, 07:33 PM
Olbrecht steps into the thick and quaggy dirt. He leaves his horse behind at the base and slowly hikes up the side, taking care not to slip and to keep his balance. As he reaches the top of the hill he unsheathes his sword, poking it into the ground.

"Namesake! I know you're around here somewhere! Heed my call my dead yet still living comrade!"

His shouts reverberate throughout the surrounding hills, creating an eerie sort of echo.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-14, 12:01 AM
"If you can call this...living."

Namesake emerges from over the hill. He's been missing for a while.

"I am here, I am here, knight. I had an ... untimely run-in with some red-caps. If their caps were not red before, I have most certainly ... corrected this greivous error. What have you?"

He has a number of little red hats dangling from hist belt. One of them still has a scalp.

((Needed to think of an entertaining way to explain why I've been absent from this forum for a while))

He finds himself alone, and leaves.

Warpfire
2007-03-14, 12:28 AM
Nathaniel slowly ascends the hill. He seems to be completely oblivious to all of his surroundings. He reaches the top of the hill, and starts to walk around it. For some reason, he appears to be mesmerized by the gallows, as he keeps his eyes trained on it. Oddly enough, his expression seems to be wistful, as if he is remembering better times as he stares at the gallows.

After a while of standing there, staring at the gallows, Nathaniel sighs regretfully and trudges back down the hill, into town.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-02, 07:35 PM
Clergyman State (Or is it Namesake?) reappears with a flash, hanging from the gallows. His eye-glow has dimmed, and even though he is clearly still "alive," he just hangs there for a while, thinking. Eventually, he drops from the gallows, discards his K.N.A.V.E.S uniform, and puts on his old Paladin robes. The noose still hangs from his neck, blowing in a mild wind.

"O-o-Owww...."

"I can't keep you supressed forever .... State. I can't keep going like this."

"You mean we can't keep going like this."

"I can't. You're some kind of rogue aspect ... a disease in my psyche."

"Or you could be one in mine."

"That's impossible ... I was here first."

"Oh, I have an inkling..."

"Quiet, State."

There is a long silence. Namesake looks at his gloved hands, still imagining them spattered with Maph'Tey's blood.

"If anyone recognizes me, I'm dead. Dead, in truth."

Namesake looks up, squinting.

"And yet, after all this blood and murder ... for the first time in my wretched life ..."

He grins, somehow warm and happy on his cold face,

"I don't ... want to die."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-02, 11:29 PM
Namesake stands up again, having been lost in deep thought.

"I have an idea, State ... One that will give me all the answers, and which will let us decide who is better ... to inhabit this flesh."

"And this idea is-?"

"I don't intend to tell you."

"So much for the sport of things. We share a brain, you know."

Namesake drools a bit of arsenic as State picks his mind. He raises his hands to his head and yells, before falling into the mud. He slowly raises back up.

"This is suicide, Namesake."

"The Church of the Seed is a foe worthy of my hate ... I have dealt with a member before, and I know that this is what ... it will take to kill you. All prejudices aside."

"You can't kill me! I am you!"

"Pardon me. Kill US."

"You'd give up your-"

"-life to kill you? Of course I would ... I have no life and never will."

"I can change that. We can change that."

"I have no such intentions; do it yourself come the morn ... I'm putting us to bed ... and then to a deeper sleep tommorow."

"You monster!"

"Ha! US monsters."

And with that, Namesake, now the dominant personality, stumbles off to the town.

Flabbicus
2007-04-14, 03:07 PM
(( Explanation for Olbrecht's disappearance is forthcoming. ))

A tear in the fabric of reality ripped open at the top of the hill. Two grappling combatants burst forth from the portal and they fall to earth. The knight struggled with a rather large animate corpse over his sword. The pair rolled down the side of the muddy hill.

The corpse gnashed its teeth at Olbrecht and dust fell from its mouth onto his face. The knight slammed his fist into the corpses face. A sickening crunch can be heard as it connected and the knight removed his gauntleted fist. When they land at the bottom they continue contending over the sword.

The corpse's decaying claws scrabbled around his neck and begin to constrict him. He cries out as the sharp bony fingertips began to pierce his neck. A white light wavered around his free hand and he rammed it into the monstrosity's chest. Bones broke with a gruesome crack and the knight pulled out his grime encrusted gauntlet from it's grisly innards. He kicked out while the corpse is weakened from his attack. The corpse flew off of him and landed a foot away, now with a large cavity in his chest.

He gasped for breath and slowly rose, using his sword for support. The corpse struggled to stand but its legs cracked and it fell back down. The knight stood over the beaten abomination with his sword held in one hand.

Olbrecht spluttered slightly, spitting out a bit of blood. He begins, "By the power given to me by my lord Arbath I hereby deem your fate to be death."
"Hah, I've been promised a host of rewards for the carnage and pain I inflicted on my stay here. You won't be accomplishing anything stooge. Kill me, I'll be happy to come back and incite more chaos." The remnants of its face broke out into a macabre toothy smile.
"I find most promises made my demons to be empty and baseless. But it matters not. I have pursued you for too long to merely give you exactly what you want. I will not be killing you in the conventional way brute."

He raises his sword above the corpse's chest.

"I have found this one unfit for the usual sentence. Instead I have decided that extra measures are needed to make sure this creature will never plague the world again. He has contributed to too much chaos, and caused too many deaths to be allowed freedom of any kind."

The sword turns white hot and he plunges it through the corpse's chest. He leans over until he is looking it right in the eyes.

"The defendent has been deemed to dangerous to be released. The final verdict is perpetual confinement in a plane beyond reach."

He places his hand above the corpse's face and his palm begins to glow. The corpse begins to burn away as he incinerates it with axiomatic energy. Olbrecht stands and the creature disappears from the material plane.

"He's their problem now. Let them do with him what they will."
A raven with half black and half white feathers flies down to land on his shoulder.
Very well. You exceeded his expectations. Despite your flaws you have done all that we expected of you. Go now, and find the paladin.

Olbrecht sighs and heals away most of his wounds. The raven flies of and he limps down the hill towards town.