PDA

View Full Version : Mighty WAllop + tripping?

CyberThread
2014-05-07, 10:47 PM
Now mighty wallop increases a weapon damage size, if I add mighty wallop to a quarterstaff, and try to trip someone. Do I get size modifers at all, if my weapon counts as a larger then normal weapon due to magical spells?

OldTrees1
2014-05-07, 10:49 PM
1) Mighty Wallop only increases damage. It does not increase size.
2) Weapon size has no impact on Trip
3) Your size does impact Trip

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-05-07, 10:52 PM
You will still end up knocking enemies prone if you use a high CL greater mighty wallop... because you will kill them.

zingbobco000
2014-05-08, 09:37 AM
Mighty wallop increases damage die, greater mighty wallop increases the weapons die by its size. None of them actually increase your size which actually does matter in a trip.

A combatant gets a +4 bonus for every size category he is larger than Medium or a –4 penalty for every size category he is smaller than Medium.

Size matters.

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 10:37 AM
Weapon Size doesn't do jack for Tripping, but Mighty Wallop may do something about Disarming, since that uses weapon size as a modifier.

Red Fel
2014-05-08, 11:32 AM
One moment. A thought.

Mighty Wallop increases damage dealt by increasing the effective size category of a weapon. With the Knock-Down feat, dealing 10+ damage in melee gets you a free trip attempt.

So, no, Mighty Wallop doesn't directly benefit tripping, but it can help facilitate it under the right circumstances.

That said, Knock-Down requires Str 15 and Improved Trip, and if you're using a quarterstaff, I get the distinct impression that might not be you.

Snowbluff
2014-05-08, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Red Fel. I was going to point that one out. :smallsmile:

OldTrees1
2014-05-08, 03:28 PM
Weapon Size doesn't do jack for Tripping, but Mighty Wallop may do something about Disarming, since that uses weapon size as a modifier.

Except Mighty Wallop does not actually increase the weapon size. It only increases the damage dice.

zingbobco000
2014-05-08, 03:48 PM
Except Mighty Wallop does not actually increase the weapon size. It only increases the damage dice.

Greater does though.

OldTrees1
2014-05-08, 03:55 PM
Greater does though.

Double check please

As mighty wallop, except that the bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by one size category for every four caster levels you have

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 04:02 PM

Oh I'm aware. I was just too lazy to look and see if it said "increases effective weapon size" or just said "damage as a weapon size larger."

zingbobco000
2014-05-08, 06:35 PM
Double check please

Oh yeah *facepalm