PDA

View Full Version : Spell casting awareness, how to tell.

Zuke
2014-05-07, 10:55 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Can some point me in the direction to find where it outlines spell casting awareness.

Eg. My friend is asleep and I want to cast a spell on him. As he's asleep and still entitled to a save ( let's assume he passes the save) is he aware the spell was cast at him!

What if he was awake but couldn't see or hear me!

ryu
2014-05-07, 10:58 PM
Depends. Are we using the interpretation that sleeping targets are auto willing? If so are you using a spell with no such relevant willing clause?

TuggyNE
2014-05-07, 11:13 PM
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.

There you go.

Crake
2014-05-08, 12:00 AM
There you go.

In addition to that, if you have spellcraft, you can attempt a DC25+spell level check to determine the spell that was just cast on you.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-08, 12:15 AM
If he's asleep and hears your verbal components...

A sleeping character may make Listen checks at a -10 penalty. A successful check awakens the sleeper.

TuggyNE
2014-05-08, 12:46 AM
In addition to that, if you have spellcraft, you can attempt a DC25+spell level check to determine the spell that was just cast on you.

Assuming you can see or hear the components, which may not be possible. If you're asleep, somatic components won't be visible because you have your eyes closed, so it's just the Listen check at a -10 penalty.

Fakeedit: totally ninja'd by a Silent nerveskitter!

Duke of Urrel
2014-05-08, 07:06 AM
Assuming you can see or hear the components, which may not be possible. If you're asleep, somatic components won't be visible because you have your eyes closed, so it's just the Listen check at a -10 penalty.

There are two different Spellcraft checks, and for one of them, you don't have to see or hear the spell's effects; it only has to target you.

DC 20 + spell level: Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.

That's the check that requires you to see or hear something. Then there's the other one.

DC 25 + spell level: After rolling a saving throw against a spell targeted on you, determine what that spell was. No action required. No retry.

That's the check that doesn't require you to see or hear anything, but it does require a saving throw. Moreover, in the case of an Enchantment, an Illusion, or a Mind-Affecting spell, I personally believe the saving throw must succeed in order for you to make a Spellcraft check. If you're enchanted, or otherwise mind-affected, and I'm the DM, you get no Spellcraft check. Likewise, if you encounter an Illusion and fail to notice that it's illusory or even a spell effect at all, you get no Spellcraft check.

Zuke
2014-05-08, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by SRD Spell Descriptions
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.

This is more what I'm looking for, spell craft can be used but if they don't know the spell is cast on them then they can't use spell craft.

My question was related to before you get to roll. So if you fail a save you are unaware of the spell. If you pass you feel a tingle. That's awesome.

TuggyNE
2014-05-08, 07:54 AM
There are two different Spellcraft checks, and for one of them, you don't have to see or hear the spell's effects; it only has to target you.

That's the check that requires you to see or hear something. Then there's the other one.

That's the check that doesn't require you to see or hear anything, but it does require a saving throw. Moreover, in the case of an Enchantment, an Illusion, or a Mind-Affecting spell, I personally believe the saving throw must succeed in order for you to make a Spellcraft check. If you're enchanted, or otherwise mind-affected, and I'm the DM, you get no Spellcraft check. Likewise, if you encounter an Illusion and fail to notice that it's illusory or even a spell effect at all, you get no Spellcraft check.

Actually, I was thinking of yet a third use.
15 + spell level Identify a spell being cast. (You must see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components.) No action required. No retry.

Had forgotten about the saving throw version, in fact.