PDA

View Full Version : Quicken Spell Combos?

RoboEmperor
2014-05-07, 11:45 PM
I'm new to playing a wizard and unlike sorcerers, they can use quicken spells, so what are some really good combos?

Best I got is
Q true strike + ray
Q enervation + enervation

Ravens_cry
2014-05-07, 11:55 PM
I'm new to playing a wizard and unlike sorcerers, they can use quicken spells, so what are some combos that everyone seem to think is broken?

Best I got is
Q true strike + ray
True strike plus a ray is hardly broken. Enervation +enervation is very nice for getting saves down as prep for your next strike, as well as making spellcasters feel awful, but I am not sure it's 'broken'.

RoboEmperor
2014-05-08, 12:01 AM
True strike plus a ray is hardly broken. Enervation +enervation is very nice for getting saves down as prep for your next strike, as well as making spellcasters feel awful, but I am not sure it's 'broken'.

Ok, I don't meant "broken", I mean really strong or something. I'll edit the broken out.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-08, 12:02 AM
Quickened snowsight plus blizzard? Pretty much guaranteed to result in a win if used to open up an encounter, especially against a weaker but numerically superior enemy. Probably need to be a druid, though. Hehehe.

Cloud
2014-05-08, 12:02 AM
Yeah, neither of those combos are particularly broken I think. Not sure if this one is broken either but it's nice;
Quicken Dimensional Anchor
Crowd Control of your choice (I'm a fan of Solid Fog if they don't have Freedom of Movement, otherwise a Wall of your choice).

This would need a target that can't teleport, and doesn't have freedom of movement, and could still fail will saves, so again this probably isn't broken, but;
Quicken Slow
Solid Fog

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 12:07 AM
While not broken Quickened Sonorous Hum followed by any Concentration Based Spell (Like Silent Image, w/e) can be quite useful.

On the other hand, getting into Shadowcraft Mage and Quickening those Heightened Silent Images into Quickened Heightened Shadow Conjurations to get you two summons in a single turn? Even more so.

You are using a rod or a means to negate quicken's spell level, right?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-08, 12:19 AM
Solid Fog + Cloudkill
Transmute Rock to Mud + Transmute Mud to Rock

RoboEmperor
2014-05-08, 12:33 AM
Alright, I think I get the picture. It's all about getting solid fog off or making it more dangerous.

Cloud
2014-05-08, 01:41 AM
Well it can be acid fog, not solid fog. XD

Also if you're using a lesser quicken rod, or have metamagic reduces everywhere, quicken true casting is an alternative to assay spell resistance, which you follow up with a SR allowing spell of your choice.

justiceforall
2014-05-08, 04:24 AM
My favourite is not a spell combo so much as just a use of a quickened spell. Works best with a big, nasty weapon (like a greataxe or a glaive).

Quickened Hold Person cast within reach (or 5ft step) of the target. Coup De Grace. Then say something like "execution" in a suitably dramatic voice as your character beheads them from full hp.

With a box
2014-05-08, 04:50 AM
My favourite is not a spell combo so much as just a use of a quickened spell. Works best with a big, nasty weapon (like a greataxe or a glaive).

Quickened Hold Person cast within reach (or 5ft step) of the target. Coup De Grace. Then say something like "execution" in a suitably dramatic voice as your character beheads them from full hp.

Could you use full round action in the turn that already use a shift action?

Full-Round Action

A full-round action consumes all your effort during a round. The only movement you can take during a full-round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. You can also perform free actions (see below).

Bullet06320
2014-05-08, 04:56 AM
Quiken Time Stop, then you win

justiceforall
2014-05-08, 05:03 AM
From the SRD:

A full-round action requires an entire round to complete. Thus, it can’t be coupled with a standard or a move action, though if it does not involve moving any distance, you can take a 5-foot step

Swift Actions

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

Casting a quickened spell is a swift action. In addition, casting any spell with a casting time of 1 swift action is a swift action.

Kraken
2014-05-08, 05:16 AM
Assuming you have flyby attack (minimally from overland flight in a core only setting), quickened fog cloud plus pretty much anything as an opening. Cast fog cloud on self, use your move action to go in and out of the cloud, and use flyby attack to get off your standard action while you can see outside the fog. It's a poor man's version of quickened snowsight combined with obscuring snow or blizzard.

TuggyNE
2014-05-08, 05:17 AM
Could you use full round action in the turn that already use a shift action?

Yes. The quote you gave said so, actually, although note that this isn't 4e and there is no shift action, just 5'-steps.

Thurbane
2014-05-08, 06:42 AM
I'm new to playing a wizard and unlike sorcerers, they can use quicken spells, so what are some really good combos?

Best I got is
Q true strike + ray
Just for the record, Sorcerers can use Qucken Spell, but it requires the Rapid Metamagic feat (or one or two other methods).

TrueJordan
2014-05-08, 09:10 AM
Why do two spells a round when you can do four?

Now introducing. the Belt of Battle!

Yes indeedy folks this sucker'll end a battle in a heartbeat. Step right up step right up, these bad boys are selling like hotcakes so get your belts of battle now, while supplies last!

Seriously though. With 2 level 8 druid spells in one round, almost any non-undead/construct is essentially boned. Frostfell can take out armies when you cast it once. Casting it twice is just overkill. Casting it four times (assuming you have a quicken rod and belt of battle)... at the very least it does a crapton of damage to anyone near you, at best it turns them all to ice.
Fun stuff!

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 09:25 AM
Belt of Battle takes a swift action to activate though. So you can use it once per round, to gain a move, a standard or a full-round. While cheaper, it still doesn't give as many daily uses as a rod would ultimately block out using both, as you can't convert any actions into swift actions. 3 uses v 1 extra standard action/day

Fouredged Sword
2014-05-08, 11:16 AM
The belt of battle won't stack with a rod, but is IS a nice way to cast 2 ninth level spells in a round. Trading your swift action for a standard action is NICE.

ericgrau
2014-05-08, 11:26 AM
Most annoying thing I find with quicken is the long wait to get high level spells. So good low level spells that you can use at high level:

quicken ray of enfeeblement
quicken grease/glitterdust, especially on an arcane trickster or with a party rogue
quicken web
quicken multi-target magic missiles to deal with illusions and so on before your standard action spell against what you find to be real
quicken open/close on a door you're about to pass through or just passed through, to save you a move action or cost a monster one
quicken obscuring mist after casting to protect yourself; next turn you move out of the mist to do whatever
quicken levitate an ally, important object, or yourself into a better position before acting

Talothorn
2014-05-08, 11:31 AM
Quick charm person + hypnotism

RoboEmperor
2014-05-08, 11:40 AM
Alright! Thanks everyone! This is a pretty comprehensive list. Awesome!