PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed craft checks with temporary buffs?

RoboEmperor
2014-05-08, 12:19 AM
Crafting takes 8 hours, buffs like fox's cunning last 1min/level and greater heroism 10min/level, both don't reach 8 hours. So when crafting, are you allowed to use these buffs and maybe others (like moment of prescience) to craft? How about with fabricate spell?

pwykersotz
2014-05-08, 10:35 AM
Crafting takes 8 hours, buffs like fox's cunning last 1min/level and greater heroism 10min/level, both don't reach 8 hours. So when crafting, are you allowed to use these buffs and maybe others (like moment of prescience) to craft? How about with fabricate spell?

I offer only my opinion on this, I've never found (nor looked overly hard for) whether it's supported by RAW.

By default, I believe as long as you have the spell active when you make the check, it counts for the whole thing. As long as there's no stipulation of 'your concentration cannot waver from your task', casting the spell right before you make the check should be fine. If your using a variant where successive skill checks or multiple successes need to be made across a period of time, then as long as it's up at the time of each check, you should be good.

That being said, there's definitely room for alternate interpretation. I usually run it where the buff needs to have an equal or greater duration to the task at hand in order to apply to the check. If it takes 8 hours to craft but your buff lasts for 3 minutes, it won't apply.

In both these interpretations, it should work fine with fabricate, since it only takes a standard action to cast.

RoboEmperor
2014-05-08, 11:31 AM
Alrighty, then I probably shouldn't put any points into any craft skill because with my int bonus, buffs, and take 10, i can hit the 20 DC for masterwork easy with fabricate. Thanks.

Gildedragon
2014-05-08, 11:51 AM
Note that the items might require a higher DC than that. Armor, for example, has a DC contingent on its AC, and if you are allowed dragon mag material there are some mundane item enhancements that boost the DC of the masterwork component.

Kazudo
2014-05-08, 11:54 AM
I wasn't aware that you can take 10 on a skill you have no ranks in.

Was I wrong?

Mellack
2014-05-08, 12:43 PM
I wasn't aware that you can take 10 on a skill you have no ranks in.

Was I wrong?

I see nowhere in the rule that take 10 is only for skills you have ranks in. It says "When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10." So I believe it works for anyone.

Kazudo
2014-05-08, 12:47 PM
I see nowhere in the rule that take 10 is only for skills you have ranks in. It says "When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10." So I believe it works for anyone.

No, it was actually an extrapolation from not being able to use "trained only skills" untrained, which craft does not fall under.

Muh bad.

NichG
2014-05-08, 12:57 PM
This is not RAW, but the way that I run it is that you can use buffs on extended checks only if you can sustain the buff for the duration of the check (either by having its duration be that long, or by having someone on hand to re-cast it on you whenever it runs low, or e.g. by being able to use the buff at-will). For things like Divine Insight or Moment of Prescience which are used up at the moment of the check, I only require that you're under the spell for the entire length of the check, not that you e.g. have it re-cast on you every round during the check.

Magesmiley
2014-05-08, 01:02 PM
I only allow temporary buffs to apply to the roll if they are in effect for the entire duration.

The key point here being that "Craft checks are made by the day or week." (From the Action section of the Craft skill in the d20 SRD.) Note that it doesn't say at the end of, but by. That would mean that the roll is effectively for the entire time.

Fouredged Sword
2014-05-08, 01:55 PM
Magecraft will give you a +5, and expressly works with crafting each day. That with taking 10 and a 20 int ends up with 20. Put one rank in each craft skill, or use another way to get around being untrained, and you are golden.

Kazudo
2014-05-08, 02:02 PM
What does being untrained in a craft really do except not grant you the ranks added to your checks, anyway?

Gildedragon
2014-05-08, 02:02 PM
Neither craft nor masterworkness cares for training

Fouredged Sword
2014-05-08, 02:06 PM
Wow, I totally thought craft was a trained only skill. Well that solves that then, get a 20 int and use magecraft, then take 10. You hit a DC 20 without any problem and it expressly works with daily or weekly crafting checks. Any int based caster should be able to hit that. Get magecraft in an eternal wand if it isn't on your class list.