PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character concept vs. min/maxing a character

cheetah
2014-05-08, 12:30 AM
Hey guys.
This is my first venture into playing dungeons and dragons, first pen and paper rpg for that matter, and since I've always loved fantasy I joined a group who just happened to be starting a new campaign. The dm is a friend of a friend kinda thing. Since I just got into vet school the druid class naturally stood out to me. Now I've had the privilege of volunteering several times over in Africa and I've worked with some of the big cats, mainly cheetah's as they are my favorite (if you couldn't tell by my name :smallbiggrin:) Seeing them in live action is simply unbelievable. So again, I want my druid to use cats as a theme. The thing is the dm seems to be under the impression that this will severely limit my druid. He's wanting me to take some kind of Dino called a flesh raker (at least I think that's what he called it) as an animal companion and take some kind of prestige class called planar shepherd. He has this power thing that if a class isn't min/maxed to perfection it's complete crap no matter the concept.

Now if I was a paleontologist I would love being a Dino. Being a t-rex walking around eating **** would be the highlight of my day, but I'm a cheetah guy. I don't even know what this particular Dino is or what a planar shepherd is or why they're so freaking great. The party is a cleric, wizard, kleptomaniac rogue, and me. Now I don't want to hinder the party but surely character concept should count for something.

So this leads me to the question. Which is more important: character concept or a perfectly maximized druid?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 12:33 AM
So this leads me to the question. Which is more important: character concept or a perfectly maximized druid?

Whichever the player in question prefers. I say do it. Be the Large cat, riding a Larger cat, summoning Large cats.

Additional: With the fact that there is a rogue, you won't really be hampering anything. Just take Natural Spell (It lets you cast spells while wild shaped) and you'll do fine.

Temotei
2014-05-08, 12:36 AM
Whichever the player in question prefers. I say do it. Be the Large cat, riding a Larger cat, summoning Large cats.

For bonus points, get the summoned cats to ride larger cats.

But yeah, do what you want to do.

cheetah
2014-05-08, 01:02 AM
I like the idea about being a cat summoning cats and casting other spells. Sounds fine to be but he's being a bit of an ass about it to tell you the truth. I'm not about to start an argument over a game. Any ideas on how to polity insist on my concept and to let me play the way I envision this character? Maybe once I'm more familiar with the game and I'm finished with this guy I can do what he asks. But I agree it's my character and if I wanted to play a druid hopping around as a frog, chasing the pray as a cheetah, stalking as a leopard, etc... I should be allowed to do so.

Any ideas on how to deal with a somewhat difficult DM's? I would like to give this a go.

OldTrees1
2014-05-08, 01:12 AM

Optimization is used best when used like a set of carpenter's tools that allows a player to craft the raw materials the game offers into a structure that resembles their character concept.

In your case you should stick with a large cat animal companion. Deviation from your character concept would be a failure to optimize since your goal is to create your character concept.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-08, 01:13 AM
Any ideas on how to deal with a somewhat difficult DM's? I would like to give this a go.
Tell him that the best way to master the game is by being able to learn from your mistakes. If he insists on running your character, tell him he's making an NPC and you're not willing to just sit there and spectate as he plays it. If he really wants you to play in the game, he'll back off and let you play.

Aegis013
2014-05-08, 01:16 AM
You could ask the DM if he would be willing to let you refluff, or reskin the fleshraker as a cheetah. (Use the stats of a fleshraker, but with the appearance, mannerisms, etc. of a cheetah)

You may have to nix the poison from the attacks it has, or you could say that you have used your druidic magics to enhance your companion.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 01:17 AM
I don't see why he is insisting on it anyway, if you, the cleric, and the wizard play even half as optimal as you can make them, the rogue is left as nothing more than a trapmonkey. Which actually the cleric can do anyways. Or you can just summon things to set off any potential traps.

Sorry I have no ideas about how to go about it, I'm usually the "optimizer" of my group recommending feats and classes to help my fellow players do what they say they want to do.

cheetah
2014-05-08, 01:17 AM
Optimization is used best when used like a set of carpenter's tools that allows a player to craft the raw materials the game offers into a structure that resembles their character concept.

In your case you should stick with a large cat animal companion. Deviation from your character concept would be a failure to optimize since your goal is to create your character concept.

I really really like the way you put that.

So knowing this and knowing that I like big cats' particularly cheetahs is there anything I could take and do to enhance my druid in that form to his max capability. I don't mind pimping him a little bit, but I want to stick to the concept I originally had.

so me being new, how do I maximize this out so that we're both happy.

Andezzar
2014-05-08, 01:18 AM
Just tell him that you do not want to have a flesh raker as animal companion. While the cheetah is technically inferior to the flesh raker, it is not by much. I get your and/or your character's preference for large cats, and you should be allowed to play like that. You will probably realize sooner or later that in certain situations a large cat is not the best tool for the job (flying opponents, underwater engagements etc.), so summon something else or turn into something else.

cheetah
2014-05-08, 01:22 AM
Just tell him that you do not want to have a flesh raker as animal companion. While the cheetah is technically inferior to the flesh raker, it is not by much. I get your and/or your character's preference for large cats, and you should be allowed to play like that. You will probably realize sooner or later that in certain situations a large cat is not the best tool for the job (flying opponents, underwater engagements etc.), so summon something else or turn into something else.

I figured I may want to play other forms once in a while and I'm fine with that. Most cats aren't fond of swimming and such but for the most part I would like to keep my concept.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 01:23 AM
Feats that aren't natural spell:
Greenbound summoning (Will give all your cats a neat template with some good effects, like Str +6, Dex +2, Con +4, Cha +4, and fast healing)
Ashbound (Doubles summon duration and give your summons a +3 luck bonus)
Manifest Druid (+2 rounds to summons thanks to ashbound)
Initiate of Malar (Summons get +4 enhancement bonus to its Strength and Constitution scores)

OldTrees1
2014-05-08, 01:32 AM
I really really like the way you put that.

So knowing this and knowing that I like big cats' particularly cheetahs is there anything I could take and do to enhance my druid in that form to his max capability. I don't mind pimping him a little bit, but I want to stick to the concept I originally had.

so me being new, how do I maximize this out so that we're both happy.

Well you are lucky. Large cats are nice tough animal companions. They are not cranked up to 11 but they remain a really high end choice. Consider taking the Wild Cohort feat for a second animal companion.

Cheetahs are speedy. They can quickly reach the rear of an enemy force. I would focus on survivability and targeting the more important targets while your allies fight through the front line.

Leopards are great at charging at enemies (they get a full attack on a charge). This makes this good at tearing through that front line protecting the real threats.

As a druid you have many animal buffing spells. Feel free to use them on your companions.

eggynack
2014-05-08, 01:32 AM
Are you in some sort of crazy high-op game where everything is pimped out tier ones? Unless you're in that exact situation, there's really no need to push things as your DM wants. Really, min/maxing a druid is pretty easy if you're completely unrestricted. Build your crazy cat druid, maybe running it as a good focused lion of talisid type, and if you want to optimize, optimize that. You could emphasize the Egypt thing, and pick up some stuff from sandstorm, perhaps even making it a desert half-orc (probably the first time I've recommended that for flavor reasons, actually). You could play up the docile house cat angle, picking up a bunch of cityscape web enhancement ACF's. Hell, you could even build it as a shifter, and have some werecat elements in there.

Figure out what it means to you for your druid to be super cat focused, and then express that idea in every way possible. If you're really doing things right, then cat-ness should pervade every element of your character's existence, from the feats, to the spells, to the animal companion, to the ACF's. You're a frigging druid, and that means that it's next to impossible for you to suck from a build perspective. The answer to your question is both. The most important thing there is, from a build perspective, is optimizing your very nature towards a particular character concept, preferably without sacrificing too much viability. If you can do that, and do it right, then you'll be way better than any planar shepherd running a fleshraker animal companion (unless that itself is towards a concept). And seriously, I just noticed that there's a rogue in your party. If you try at all, there's no way you'll be the weak link here.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-08, 01:35 AM
Even if you min-max your character to the hilt, it can be fun to try and make a coherent backstory and character out of that chimaera. Why did your character make those choices, how did they make them who they are during the game proper? Of course, if someone is trying to force something upon you, that's just not cricket, mate.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-08, 01:36 AM
Cats are really good, actually. They're among the best "basic" animal companions and forms. The problem with them is that their defenses are sorely lacking, but a druid can compansate for that just fine with buffs.

There's actually a lion-themed prestige class in the Book of Exalted Deeds called Lion of Talisid, but you've got to be good for it. If you go Planar Shepherd, you can choose Lamannia as your plane. It has some neat cat forms, like Hellcat and Celestial/Fiendish tiger.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 01:40 AM
Ooo, for added fun, play as a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium p. 21) They are small (Monstrous) Humanoids with the Shapeshifter subtypem descended from wizard cat familiars. They naturally can assume the form of a Tiny House Cat and automatically speak Feline, which "is spoken by all tibbits and cats with an Intelligence of 3 or higher."
This will allow you to actually talk to your cat companion(s).
Not to mention you can actually use this stuff. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)
Warning: It's the same lady that made the Unseelie Fey template and co-authored the Book of Erotic Fantasy

cheetah
2014-05-08, 01:43 AM
Man I really appreciate all the support. So character concept > than the numbers from the die. A well done character accomplishes both. However, don't sacrifice the character concept for the numbers.

My friend said this was the place for advice and it looks like he was right.

I really don't know how to really start with this guy. he's a human druid who loves cats. I figured it would be best to start my dnd venture with something I'm already passionate about. the only book I have is core handbook. Though I think the dm has just about everyone on pdf. At least he says he does.

cheetah
2014-05-08, 01:46 AM
Ooo, for added fun, play as a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium p. 21) They are small (Monstrous) Humanoids with the Shapeshifter subtypem descended from wizard cat familiars. They naturally can assume the form of a Tiny House Cat and automatically speak Feline, which "is spoken by all tibbits and cats with an Intelligence of 3 or higher."
This will allow you to actually talk to your cat companion(s).
Not to mention you can actually use this stuff. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)
Warning: It's the same lady that made the Unseelie Fey template and co-authored the Book of Erotic Fantasy

ok that link was just too funny.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-05-08, 01:47 AM
First of all, I'll just leave this here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940.0

You don't need a fleshraker to make a strong druid... it just makes it easier.

If the table is at the level of using Planar Shepherd, the DM might simply be giving fair warning. It sounds like a high-power sort of game. To that end I second (third? fourth?) greenbound summoning. Doc_Maynot actually undersold it since it also grants SLAs such as Wall of Thorns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm) and Entangle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm). A Summon Nature's Ally III (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyIII.htm) spell can summon 1d4+1 greenbound wolves who can all cast Wall of Thorns once they appear, and then spam Entangle after that. So, for one third level spell you're getting 1d4+1 5th level spells a round later, and then 1d4+1 level 1 spells per round after that. Good times.

I would talk to the other players and see what they're doing. If they're optimizing like crazy then the DM was probably just trying to help you keep up. If they're also balking at the DM's over-optimizing advice, then perhaps you are all in for TPKs but you don't necessarily have to do anything he says regarding crazy chargen.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 01:56 AM
ok that link was just too funny.

I hope it inspires you to go full cat (and thusly Tibbit) on this Druid. As they really don't care about physical scores, the racial adjustments won't matter. And again, being able to actually communicate to your animal companions and summons is pretty darn cool.

For more cats, take Leadership, use it to attract Cat followers (One/Two would have to be Tibbits, Three and Highers could be actual big cats), with a fellow "Cat Expert" or even the druid build your DM wanted you to play as your Cohort.

Handle Humanoid Skill and the Collar of Perpetual Attendance are very useful as well. A DC 25 to get any humanoid to defend you, with it being 5 higher for Giants/Monstrous Humanoids? Better than Diplomacy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy)
And a ring/collar of at-will unseen servant? Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) has whole sections devoted to why that is awesome.

eggynack
2014-05-08, 02:00 AM
Man I really appreciate all the support. So character concept > than the numbers from the die. A well done character accomplishes both. However, don't sacrifice the character concept for the numbers.

Pretty much, especially on a druid. There's a lot more call to push the optimization side of things if you're running something like a fighter, because then your ability to meaningfully call yourself a guy who's good at fighting depends on it. As a druid, you're going to be pretty sweet no matter what.

I really don't know how to really start with this guy. he's a human druid who loves cats. I figured it would be best to start my dnd venture with something I'm already passionate about. the only book I have is core handbook. Though I think the dm has just about everyone on pdf. At least he says he does.
Core makes it significantly more tricky, as your cat-optimization will mostly be limited to wild shape forms and the animal companion. There're a lot of directions you could feasibly take this character, so it's somewhat important that you better define what it means that you love cats. For example, you could run this character very animal companion focused. Get your cat animal companion, pick up natural bond (CAdv, 111), and companion spellbond (PHB II, 77), and maybe toss in exalted companion (BoED, 42) so that you can give the animal companion vow of poverty (BoED, 48). Now that this version is running exalted style, you can pick up some levels of the aforementioned lion of talisid, and get exalted companion that way instead, furthering the cat theme. You could even run it with vow of poverty, and play a crazy cat guy, dressed in rags and hurling his cat at folks.

From there, you'd presumably push your spells towards buffing the animal companion some, tossing out thematic options like bite of the weretiger (SpC, 28), and completely non-thematic options like animal growth, and maybe some half-thematic options like snowshoes (SpC, 194), because cats are sometimes associated with speed. You could even be constantly casting and recasting wood wose (SpC, 242) to attend to your cat's every whim, because based on the fabulous cats article linked by Doc_Maynot, cats are associated with unseen servant. You'll end up with a highly concept focused yet viable druid, but that's just one of many builds that would get you to that point. If animal companion stuff or the heavy good focus aren't appealing, then there's a bunch of other perfectly viable character plans out there, fresh for the taking.

cheetah
2014-05-08, 02:01 AM
I hope it inspires you to go full cat (and thusly Tibbit) on this Druid. As they really don't care about physical scores, the racial adjustments won't matter. And again, being able to actually communicate to your animal companions and summons is pretty darn cool.

For more cats, take Leadership, use it to attract Cat followers (One/Two would have to be Tibbits, Three and Highers could be actual big cats), with a fellow "Cat Expert" or even the druid build your DM wanted you to play as your Cohort.

Handle Humanoid Skill and the Collar of Perpetual Attendance are very useful as well. A DC 25 to get any humanoid to defend you, with it being 5 higher for Giants/Monstrous Humanoids? Better than Diplomacy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy)
And a ring/collar of at-will unseen servant? Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) has whole sections devoted to why that is awesome.

I may look into this. I think it's cool as hell. Again guys thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. For now I'm off to bed.... Yawn.

shadowseve
2014-05-08, 02:12 AM
Pretty much, especially on a druid. There's a lot more call to push the optimization side of things if you're running something like a fighter, because then your ability to meaningfully call yourself a guy who's good at fighting depends on it. As a druid, you're going to be pretty sweet no matter what.

Core makes it significantly more tricky, as your cat-optimization will mostly be limited to wild shape forms and the animal companion. There're a lot of directions you could feasibly take this character, so it's somewhat important that you better define what it means that you love cats. For example, you could run this character very animal companion focused. Get your cat animal companion, pick up natural bond (CAdv, 111), and companion spellbond (PHB II, 77), and maybe toss in exalted companion (BoED, 42) so that you can give the animal companion vow of poverty (BoED, 48). Now that this version is running exalted style, you can pick up some levels of the aforementioned lion of talisid, and get exalted companion that way instead, furthering the cat theme. You could even run it with vow of poverty, and play a crazy cat guy, dressed in rags and hurling his cat at folks.

From there, you'd presumably push your spells towards buffing the animal companion some, tossing out thematic options like bite of the weretiger (SpC, 28), and completely non-thematic options like animal growth, and maybe some half-thematic options like snowshoes (SpC, 194), because cats are sometimes associated with speed. You could even be constantly casting and recasting wood wose (SpC, 242) to attend to your cat's every whim, because based on the fabulous cats article linked by Doc_Maynot, cats are associated with unseen servant. You'll end up with a highly concept focused yet viable druid, but that's just one of many builds that would get you to that point. If animal companion stuff or the heavy good focus aren't appealing, then there's a bunch of other perfectly viable character plans out there, fresh for the taking.

I never would have even though about giving my animal companion VOP. I didn't know you could. HOLY ****, pardon the language, that is a VERY nice feat for a companion. The bonuses alone are well worth it. Since they're an animal wealth means nothing to them anyways. Eggyknack you just put a HUGE smile on my face. He'll miss some bonus exalted feats but those are meh to begin with anyways.

Back to the subject. I agree with everyone here. Go with your concept. You won't find better advice than from these guys, especially eggyknack on druids. Dude has been a HUGE help to me. Great advice too from Doc_Maynot. I may have to build a cat based druid next campaign. LOL some killer concepts.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-08, 02:37 AM
I never would have even though about giving my animal companion VOP. I didn't know you could.
You can't.
A druid’s animal companion is different from a normal animal of its kind in many ways. The problem is that alignment isn't one of the ways in which a Druid's animal companion is different from normal.
Traits

An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
Alignment: Always neutral.
VOW OF POVERTY [EXALTED]
This book introduces a new type of feat: the exalted feat. Only intelligent characters of good alignment and the highest moral standards can acquire exalted feats, and only as a gift from powerful agents of good—deities, celestials, or similar creatures.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 02:40 AM
That's what Exalted Companion is for

The Celestial Template has: "Alignment: Always good (any)"

eggynack
2014-05-08, 02:47 AM
That's what Exalted Companion is for

The Celestial Template has: "Alignment: Always good (any)"
Indeed so. It's some sweet business, especially when you combine it with natural bond such that the animal companion's further along in the VoP progression.

shadowseve
2014-05-08, 02:50 AM
Indeed so. It's some sweet business, especially when you combine it with natural bond such that the animal companion's further along in the VoP progression.

No kidding. Since my black bear is a exalted companion, I can give him a sacred vow and vop. very nice stat bonuses.

Man thanks for that. that seriously made my night.

shadowseve
2014-05-08, 02:57 AM
You can't. The problem is that alignment isn't one of the ways in which a Druid's animal companion is different from normal.

I'm a vop druid and as a bonus exalted feat I made my animal companion an exalted companion thus he gains the celestial template. I love this forum. :smallbiggrin:

Feint's End
2014-05-08, 03:52 AM

It's great that we could help you so far :). Note something though. I'm a little surprised your dm is that much into character optimization but cannot help you realize the character concept you have in mind. Especially if he knows about these boards. Without too much negative energy directed towards your dm I would say he/she missed the principles these boards stand for.

You know what people here are proud of?
We can help you optimise character concepts. Not classes.

That's why usually if you open a new thread people will ask you which concept you have in mind and probably suggest classes, feats and combinations you haven't even thought of. We won't tell you to play another concept but try to help you make the concept as good as possible in the context of your group.

With the sometimes negative opinion people have towards these boards and misinterpretation of what we do and why we do it, I figured it would be a good place to share these thoughts. Sorry for derailing though.

So welcome again and I hope you have a grand time playing your cat focused druid.

Devils_Advocate
2014-05-08, 03:54 AM
Druid is a fairly overpowered class without the cheese the DM is pushing. Planar Shepherd is a ridiculously overpowered prestige class. I seriously doubt that a focus on cats is so suboptimal that it will prevent you from keeping up with the group.

But I think that a lot of DMs are kind of frustrated by the fact that they can't be players in their own games. Like, "Man, here's a game being run exactly the way I want -- because I'm the one running it -- and I don't get to play!" Oh, the cruel irony! And in this case, I think that this DM may be trying to vicariously powergame through you. I suspect that he hasn't insisted that the Rogue player switch to Swordsage or Factotum or whatever because that's not even close to sort of character that he wants to play. But he sees that an impressionable new player wants to use the class that's a key component of his favored absurdly min/maxed build, and he gets all exited, like "Ooh, you're playing a DRUID?! Oh man, you have to use..." Basically, it's conceivable that he wanted this crazy-go-nuts demigod character allowed so badly that he decided to run a game in order to make that happen. And now all he has to do is get someone else to play it...

If I'm guessing right, that's a tricky situation, because the obvious solution -- "Why doesn't the DM just run a member of the PC's party himself?" -- tends to... not go so well. Especially in the case of a DM who wants the opportunity to powergame to the fullest possible extent. Still, even that might be better than letting him pretty much build your character for you, because then he'll likely want to make a bunch of optimal in-character choices for you too, and before you know it he is running the infamous "DMPC" by proxy, with your presence at the table only there to keep up the pretense that he doesn't have a DMPC.

... This is probably how being the "DM's pet" often works, come to think. All you need to do to have ULTIMATE POWER is to surrender your free will to a diabolical overlord! "And the mortal fools hand over their very souls eagerly, gleefully, blissful in their insane ignorance of what power is!"

Of course, you probably are not interested in letting someone else decide what "your" character does in exchange for ULTIMATE POWAH, so best to nip this in the bud. Let this DM know that if he wants a player to play exactly the sort of character he wants to see played so badly, he should invest in a hand puppet, because you're not lettin' him stick his hand up your ass. Metaphorically speaking.

shadowseve
2014-05-08, 04:53 AM
It's great that we could help you so far :). Note something though. I'm a little surprised your dm is that much into character optimization but cannot help you realize the character concept you have in mind. Especially if he knows about these boards. Without too much negative energy directed towards your dm I would say he/she missed the principles these boards stand for.

You know what people here are proud of?
We can help you optimise character concepts. Not classes.

That's why usually if you open a new thread people will ask you which concept you have in mind and probably suggest classes, feats and combinations you haven't even thought of. We won't tell you to play another concept but try to help you make the concept as good as possible in the context of your group.

With the sometimes negative opinion people have towards these boards and misinterpretation of what we do and why we do it, I figured it would be a good place to share these thoughts. Sorry for derailing though.

So welcome again and I hope you have a grand time playing your cat focused druid.

I've never heard of any negativity towards this board. People here have been more than friendly no matter what question I've asked.

TuggyNE
2014-05-08, 05:21 AM
I've never heard of any negativity towards this board. People here have been more than friendly no matter what question I've asked.

Well, I certainly hope we keep it that way. :smallwink:

Captnq
2014-05-08, 06:23 AM
Tell him this:

I plan on making my concept. My concept will be played. As the game progresses, I will encounter obstacles that will thwart me. As the obstacles are overcome, I may branch out from my core concept. This is called character development.

I had a player start off playing a monk. She is the most munchkin of min-maxers. She started playing a monk for the challenge. Every time her monk was defeated, she poured over the books to find a solution. I never defeated her the same way twice. Now, after playing for (Holy Gygax, has it been three years already?) as long as we have, she's damn near indestructable.

Recently she got bored and added swordsage to her build. Now she's a whirlwind of death. ToB took what was a disgusting build and turned it into a just... Well, the point is, what you START with is what you start with. As the game progresses, it will change you. Just don't get stuck on one thing.

shadowseve
2014-05-08, 06:36 AM
Tell him this:

I plan on making my concept. My concept will be played. As the game progresses, I will encounter obstacles that will thwart me. As the obstacles are overcome, I may branch out from my core concept. This is called character development.

I had a player start off playing a monk. She is the most munchkin of min-maxers. She started playing a monk for the challenge. Every time her monk was defeated, she poured over the books to find a solution. I never defeated her the same way twice. Now, after playing for (Holy Gygax, has it been three years already?) as long as we have, she's damn near indestructable.

Recently she got bored and added swordsage to her build. Now she's a whirlwind of death. ToB took what was a disgusting build and turned it into a just... Well, the point is, what you START with is what you start with. As the game progresses, it will change you. Just don't get stuck on one thing.

I can agree to this to an extend, however sometimes you have something that is just part of your character, it's soul if you will, that shouldn't change. The main concept behind my druid is her bear form. I was a bear tank in wow and going bear will always be a part of my druids thing. Sure she'll go air born and use battle control with her summons and pet. However; the heart of her will always be bear and you can bet she at least at some point she'll go back and consume some face. With her having vop turning into a dire polar bear with bite of the werebear will give her a 61 Str. That'll be 39 str from dire polar bear, 6 from vop, and 16 from bite of the werebear. To me that with girallon's blessing will be a awesome site to see (plus the animal companion and everything else) It will be a heck of a good time. That's not to say I won't take advantage of plant form or going aerial or anything.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-08, 09:18 AM
A druid with a fleshraker = 10 out of 10, power wise.
A druid with a cheetah = 9.95 out of 10, power wise.
The druid is so much more than their animal companion. As someone said, take the Natural Spell feat; that's pretty much key for most druid builds. After that, you're a full caster with the ability to turn yourself into a creature as dangerous as any melee class of your level and summon a bunch of equally powerful friends out of thin air. And then cast more spells, which make you and your companion and your summoned friends all more powerful.