PDA

View Full Version : why is hulking hurler and master thrower never used together?

CyberThread
2014-05-08, 11:02 AM
Just curious why most builds don't use the two.

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 11:06 AM
Just curious why most builds don't use the two.

I personally use them together generally, but it may be an issue with the fact that lots of people put Hulking Hurler together with War Hulk, and don't have room for Master Thrower. Also lots of the neat tricks that come with Master Thrower involve a thrown weapon in each hand, instead of 2 handing the thrown weapon like Hurlers do.

CyberThread
2014-05-08, 11:16 AM
I personally use them together generally, but it may be an issue with the fact that lots of people put Hulking Hurler together with War Hulk, and don't have room for Master Thrower. Also lots of the neat tricks that come with Master Thrower involve a thrown weapon in each hand, instead of 2 handing the thrown weapon like Hurlers do.

So would need a thri keen?

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 11:20 AM
So would need a thri keen?

Aw yiss. Dual Wielding Boulders don't ya know.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-08, 11:25 AM
The best abilities each class offers don't work together at all. A Hulking Hurler typically wants to use Area Attack and Overburdened Heave, and a Master Thrower typically wants to use Palm Throw and Weak Spot.

Palm Throw allows you to throw two very small ranged weapons with a single attack, Overburdened Heave allows you to throw a much, much heavier and thus larger weapon than normal, they are incompatible.

Weak Spot allows you to attack your opponent's touch AC, Area Attack allows you to make your attack roll vs your opponent's Reflex save, they are incompatible.

If you're not throwing huge, heavy objects for thousands of dice of damage then you don't want to use Hulking Hurler. If you don't want to take advantage of the two best abilities that Master Thrower has to offer, then you don't what to use Master Thrower.

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 11:27 AM
The best abilities each class offers don't work together at all. A Hulking Hurler typically wants to use Area Attack and Overburdened Heave, and a Master Thrower typically wants to use Palm Throw and Weak Spot.

Palm Throw allows you to throw two very small ranged weapons with a single attack, Overburdened Heave allows you to throw a much, much heavier and thus larger weapon than normal, they are incompatible.

Weak Spot allows you to attack your opponent's touch AC, Area Attack allows you to make your attack roll vs your opponent's Reflex save, they are incompatible.

If you're not throwing huge, heavy objects for thousands of dice of damage then you don't want to use Hulking Hurler. If you don't want to take advantage of the two best abilities that Master Thrower has to offer, then you don't what to use Master Thrower.

But Dual Wielding Boulders!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-08, 11:37 AM
But Dual Wielding Boulders!

You can't:

Two-Handed Hurl Trick (Ex): At 2nd level and again at 3rd level, a hulking hurler chooses one of the following tricks. In order to use any of these abilities, the hulking hurler must grip the weapon or improvised weapon in two hands and throw it as a full round action.

Red Fel
2014-05-08, 11:42 AM
You can't:

Two-Handed Hurl Trick (Ex): At 2nd level and again at 3rd level, a hulking hurler chooses one of the following tricks. In order to use any of these abilities, the hulking hurler must grip the weapon or improvised weapon in two hands and throw it as a full round action.

Aha! But what if the weapon is a pair of boulders?

Kazudo
2014-05-08, 11:48 AM
Because War Hulk is so good with Hulking Hurler it's not funny.

And both are great with Bear Spirit Totem Wolf Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.

And a spiked chain.

And Knockback.

...I do all the things.

CyberThread
2014-05-08, 12:10 PM
What about. ..

Boulder bolas! !!!

The Glyphstone
2014-05-08, 12:12 PM
What about. ..

Boulder bolas! !!!

Boulder-chucks!

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 12:13 PM
Boulder-chucks!

Chainsaw-chucks (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/5p37/)

Zubrowka74
2014-05-08, 02:35 PM
Double Chainsaw Polearm ? (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6KYB-0-FqD8/Uorg547v8UI/AAAAAAAACU4/YFKM20La63Q/s1600/A+PANEL.jpg)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6KYB-0-FqD8/Uorg547v8UI/AAAAAAAACU4/YFKM20La63Q/s1600/A+PANEL.jpg

Vortenger
2014-05-08, 02:56 PM
Boulder-chucks!

Which comes with a equipped with a specially designed over-the-shoulder boulder holder for ease of travel.

Kazudo
2014-05-08, 02:57 PM
Which comes with a equipped with a specially designed over-the-shoulder bolder holder for ease of travel.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but next time I generate a hulking hurler/war hulk/whatever I'm going to refer to my ammunition by cup size.

Darrin
2014-05-08, 07:57 PM
You can't:

Hmm. Ok, so anthropomorphic giant squid + Bloodstorm Blade + Thunderous Throw + Rapid Shot and/or TWF. Even with eight arms and four boulders, he still satisfies both points above: he's gripping all the boulders with both hands, and throwing them with a full-round action. There's nothing in Two-Handed Hurl Trick that explicitly prevents the Hurler from having more arms + more boulders.

Actually, if you can just Quickdraw the boulders, two arms would probably suffice. A full attack with thrown weapons is still a full round action.

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 08:30 PM
Hmm. Ok, so anthropomorphic giant squid + Bloodstorm Blade + Thunderous Throw + Rapid Shot and/or TWF. Even with eight arms and four boulders, he still satisfies both points above: he's gripping all the boulders with both hands, and throwing them with a full-round action. There's nothing in Two-Handed Hurl Trick that explicitly prevents the Hurler from having more arms + more boulders.

Actually, if you can just Quickdraw the boulders, two arms would probably suffice. A full attack with thrown weapons is still a full round action.

Eh I'm not too sure about that. The way it's worded leans more towards "it takes a full round action to throw it."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-08, 09:44 PM

You can spend a full round action to full attack, which gives you multiple attacks if wielding multiple weapons, or you can spend a full round action to make a single attack using your two-handed hurl tricks. You cannot spend a full round action to do both, you have to pick one or the other. You would have to spend a separate full round action per boulder to throw more than one. It has the same problem that Order of the Bow Initiate has, you cannot send your action to do multiple things that require that type of action.

ArqArturo
2014-05-08, 09:55 PM
Isn't it a whole lot easier to have a Wizard cast Meatier Swarm?.

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 10:05 PM
Isn't it a whole lot easier to have a Wizard cast Meatier Swarm?.

Meatier Swarm. MEATBALLS FALL FLAMING OUT OF THE SKY.
FLESH MELTS IN SCALDING MARINARA!
ALL IS LOST.

ryu
2014-05-08, 10:19 PM
ALL IS LOST.

Alternatively it summons a bunch of vicious winged hams.

ArqArturo
2014-05-08, 10:27 PM
ALL IS LOST.

Now use an epic version of Animate Dead, and watch the how the bloody carnage ensues, and then all my foes shall meat their end.

Immabozo
2014-05-08, 11:07 PM
Alternatively it summons a bunch of vicious winged hams.

Can it summon the pig that turns into a black hole (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342604-Can-you-swing-a-pig-weighing-your-max-load)?

ryu
2014-05-09, 12:18 AM
Can it summon the pig that turns into a black hole (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342604-Can-you-swing-a-pig-weighing-your-max-load)?

Only if it's an epic spell that summons a SWARM of them.

Immabozo
2014-05-09, 12:22 AM
Only if it's an epic spell that summons a SWARM of them.

but 1 level of commoner, 1 flaw and 1 level of cancer mage can make the black hole! It will take a year, but you can do it at level 6(?)

ryu
2014-05-09, 12:27 AM
but 1 level of commoner, 1 flaw and 1 level of cancer mage can make the black hole! It will take a year, but you can do it at level 6(?)

Yes but this is instantaneous, makes multiple black holes, and doesn't require such specific build resources. I think it's a fair trade.

Immabozo
2014-05-09, 01:03 AM
Yes but this is instantaneous, makes multiple black holes, and doesn't require such specific build resources. I think it's a fair trade.

eh, alright, I'll give that one to you

Cirrylius
2014-05-09, 01:20 AM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but next time I generate a hulking hurler/war hulk/whatever I'm going to refer to my ammunition by cup size.

You magnificent sigbaiting bastard :smallbiggrin: