PDA

View Full Version : Vestiges not located in Tome of Magic

Gogo525
2007-02-12, 08:21 AM
I have seen some vestiges not located in the ToM floating around. I only know of the ones in a dragon magazine. Those are Kas, and Primus. I have heard of at least one more in the races of dragon. Do any of you know if there are any more besides these three? Could someone explain the one out of the Races of Dragon to me please?assassins shadow

reorith
2007-02-12, 08:22 AM
there are a couple of psionic ones in the mind's eye over at wotc site. i'll link it in a second link.

w00t (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070119a)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-12, 08:50 AM
There is also a vestige named Ashardalon introduced in Dragon Magic.

I don't know about Races of the Dragon, though.

[hr]Okay, managed to find a moment to get the details on Ashardalon.

Ashardalon was a greedy and megalomaniacal red dragon that replaced his own heart with that of a balor. He was killed by a druid as he tried to kill every living creature at the place where souls are born. This is what turned him into an 8th-level vestige.

Powers granted by Ashardalon include:
a bonus to Appraise and Search checks
ability to use locate object
ability to use fear (with some restrictions)
temporary hit points
damage reduction and fire resistance

Currently, Primus and Kas from Dragon #341, the psionic vestiges from the Mind's Eye article, and Ashardalon are the only vestiges outside of Tome of Magic of which I am aware. I'll have to check out Races of the Dragon, though. I'm currently playing a binder in a PbP game. A new vestige could make things interesting.

Siberys
2007-02-12, 09:31 AM
There's also a gigantic thread on the wizards boards (magic section). just type

let's make some new vestiges site:boards1.wizards.com

into google. That should find it.

Gogo525
2007-02-12, 10:34 PM
thanks all. Could someone explain the vestige out of the Dragon Magic book?

Gralamin
2007-02-12, 10:37 PM
Theres also these:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10945&highlight=vestiges

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-12, 10:44 PM
thanks all. Could someone explain the vestige out of the Dragon Magic book?
Uh, any more than what I gave above is bound to violate board rules. If ya want the specific numbers behind certain abilities, and the sign and influence... you're gonna have to get your hands on Dragon Magic somehow.

Gogo525
2007-02-14, 02:52 AM
Could you explain to me the basics without it being against board regulations? Like a breath weapon ar what? Basically is it worth buying the book just for that?

The_Snark
2007-02-14, 03:04 AM
He did.

a bonus to Appraise and Search checks
ability to use locate object
ability to use fear (with some restrictions)
temporary hit points
damage reduction and fire resistance

I don't have the book myself, so I can more safely speculate based on what I know of other vestiges. The restriction is almost certainly the standard once/5 rounds one that comes with a lot of binder powers. Temporary hit points is probably based off binder level somehow, as is the damage reduction and fire resistance. Hopefully it's good damage reduction; this vestige isn't really looking up to the 8th-level standards set by Halphax and Orthos.

I wouldn't say it's worth buying just for that; you could always go into a bookstore, look it up, and then decide, though.

And there isn't anything in Races of the Dragon; I checked.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-14, 10:28 AM
Hopefully it's good damage reduction; this vestige isn't really looking up to the 8th-level standards set by Halphax and Orthos.
The damage reduction is as good as that granted Halphax. Possibly better. I think there may be a greater number of creatres that can overcome Halphax's DR than Ashardalon's.

Ashardalon's skill bonuses are also better than Halphax's, as they are level-based rather than flat.

Eyeballing it, Ashardalon does seem somewhat weak compared to Halphax and Orthos, but he's not too far behind. This may be made up for by Ashardalon not having a special requirement, unlike the other two. But then, most binders are likely to have taken the Ignore Special Requirement feat by the time they can bind 8th-level vestiges, so it's a relatively small consolation.