PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Soul Knife Progression

TreadHead42
2007-02-12, 08:41 AM
Alright, so last night I could not sleep, so I decided to try and make the Soul Knife class into what I feel it should be. I've always liked the class, but it just never how I envisoned it. I always saw it as a Ranger/Rogue hybrid. Now keep in mind I tried to keep it in-line with other classes, but this is my first try at anything of the sort. So, here are my proposed changes:

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The Soul Knife’s class skills are Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex) and Use Psionic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Saves: All good.

1st Mind Blade Form, Mind Blade, Weapon Focus: Mind Blade, Wild Talent
2nd +1 mind blade
3rd Psychic Strike +1d6
4th Mind Blade Enhancement +1, Evasion
5th Psychic Strike +2d6, Shape Mind Blade
6th +2 Mind Blade, Free Draw
7th Psychic Strike +3d6, Weapon Specialization: Mind Blade
8th Mind Blade Enhancement +2, Speed of Thought
9th Psychic Strike +4d6, Greater Weapon Focus: Mind Blade
10th +3 Mind Blade
11th Psychic Strike +5d6, Improved Evasion
12th Mind Blade Enhancement +3, Knife to the Soul
13th Psychic Strike +6d6, Swift Strike Focus
14th +4 mind blade
15th Psychic Strike +7d6, Greater Weapon Specialization
16th Mind Blade Enhancement +4
17th Psychic Strike +8d6
18th +5 mind blade
19th Psychic Strike +9d6
20th Mind Blade Enhancement +5

Mind Blade Form: At first level the Soul Knife selects the primary combat style that they will use.
Melee: Mind Blade and Power Attack as a bonus feat.
Ranged: Mind Bow and Rapid Shot as a bonus feat.

At 6th level they increase their prowess with their chosen style.
Melee: Rapid Strike
Ranged: Many Shot

At 11th level they have developed some versatility and can now attack at range, or close quarters.
Melee: Throw Mind Blade
Ranged: Close Combat Shot

At 16th level they have nearly perfected their chosen style.
Melee: Bladewind
Ranged: Strafe

At 20th level they have reached perfection in the use of their weapon.
Melee: Soul Strike-melee touch attack once per day, for a number of rounds equal to 1+Mind Blade Enhancement.
Ranged: Soul Strike-ranged touch attack once per day, for a number of rounds equal to 1+Mind Bow Enhancement.

Psychic Strike: (needs new name) As a move action the Soul Knife can charge his mind blade with his concentrated psychic might. He must expend his psionic focus to imbue his weapon. This extra damage has the same limitations that Sneak Attack does, except the the target need not be denied his Dexterity to AC.

Shape Mind Blade:
Melee: Can shape their Mind Blade into any melee weapon with which they have proficiency. Even if the weapon has a range increment, it cannot be throw until the Mind Blade acquires this ability.
Ranged: Can shape their Mind Bow into any ranged weapon with which they have proficiency.

NullAshton
2007-02-12, 09:04 AM
Don't mean to be rude in any way, but perhaps this should be put in the homebrew section? Seeing as how it is a homebrew class, that's simply based off of an existing class.

Marius
2007-02-12, 09:11 AM
It's not much better than the old soulknife. It actually has all the same problems that all other melee classes have. Plus he now has MAD.

its_all_ogre
2007-02-12, 04:26 PM
i like it, but yes same problems.
i have considered giving the soulknife full bab and all good saves, he is a warrior type and should have high fort, but i can see why he should have the reflex and will too.
i also feel that the soulstrike is too much. its like sneak attack but with no way it can be lost, no flanks or sneaking required, ok it uses an action, but if you're already in melee it doesn't. and i know that is the same as now, but it only does a bit extra now.
way i see it he needs full bab and high fort, maybe instead of will. i always let the mindblade be changed into any weapon when manifested, so it could change to a hammer/sword/spear as the enemy appears to be harmed more by one over the others