PDA

View Full Version : House-ruled Monsters?

Dr. Cliché
2014-05-08, 02:12 PM
Are there any monsters you like in concept, but dislike some/all of the rules for?

Basically just wondering if any DMs has used monsters, but changed some or all of their rules/stats for one reason or another?

If so, which monsters and what did you change?

HammeredWharf
2014-05-08, 02:16 PM
I change monsters on a regular basis. I don't think it's a house rule, really, because it's something the DM is expected to do. Additionally, when your players know nearly all monsters by heart, you've got to change them a bit for the game to be less predictable.

Know(Nothing)
2014-05-08, 02:24 PM
I tend to change monsters quite a bit, but I try to keep in consistent within the world. Yes, it would be fun to give, I don't know, a Gray Render a few Martial Study feats, but it wouldn't really make any sense.

But giving a cult of insane Frost Giants the Final Strike feat and turning them into martyr-bombs, is interesting and makes sense.

Also any intelligent creature that uses only the equipment listed in their entry, every single time they appear, is woefully boring and doesn't make a whole lot of sense in most cases.

Dr. Cliché
2014-05-08, 02:40 PM
I change monsters on a regular basis. I don't think it's a house rule, really, because it's something the DM is expected to do.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I was just trying to avoid a wordy title. :smalltongue: