PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock stuck in antimagic zone (Maze)

Harlot
2014-05-08, 02:27 PM
Hello Awesome folks

My 4th level warlock is currently trying to escape a dungeon prison maze thing which is appearently an antimagic field. Only weapon is a braidblade 1d2 and my DM says my eldritch blast doesn't work. (I guess that's true, rulewise?)

Well, it kind of sucks.

Any ideas other than killing my character and starting over?

Regards, Harlot

Malroth
2014-05-08, 02:40 PM
An Antimagic field is a CR13 threat you're right to be upset about facing it at lv 4 but there's not much you can do but attempt to rely on your Medium BAB and good skill list to get out, try to steal yourself a mundane ranged weapon and use your social skills and CHA whenever possible.

Antimagic fields by the rules do supress edritch blast but its not supposed to work around corners or be castable on an area that's not centered on the caster.

Thorvaldr
2014-05-08, 02:47 PM
What are the other classes in your party? Does someone have an extra weapon?

Perhaps you can try to find a good stick and make an improvised spear.

Or use some rope and cloth to make a sling, find some rocks. That could be 1d4 damage at 50 feet.

At least you're doing a lot better than a sorcerer or wizard would be! Some light armor and simple weapons proficiency help, as well as your DR 1.

Harlot
2014-05-08, 03:03 PM
The rest of the party are very powerful troll barbarians, however we got separated (let's split up!) and I am all alone ...
As I am an Unseelie Fey I can't use iron weapons (not that I can find any) and I am currently stuck in a dungeon with all locked iron donors, no hidden doors, and no key...

BowStreetRunner
2014-05-08, 03:18 PM
Remind your DM that you are not a 4th level Warlock yourself and ask him what you are missing. Maybe he will allow you a straight WIS or INT check to see if your character can come up with some sort of idea and if successful he will give you a hint about what options you have that you seem to be overlooking.

Talothorn
2014-05-08, 03:20 PM
What are your skills?
What equipment do you have?
What did you do to anger your DM?

Gildedragon
2014-05-08, 03:37 PM
To get around the Iron Vulnerability: use gloves
Unseelie Fey... what? UF is a template, btw what abilities you get?

as to the dc of this thing: yeeeeap DM being too tough.

Benthesquid
2014-05-08, 03:41 PM
Make every right turn, and only right turns. If you come to a dead end, make two right turns, thereby turning around. No magic necessary.

Other than that, it really depends what's in the maze with you.

ahenobarbi
2014-05-08, 03:42 PM
An Antimagic field is a CR13 threat you're right to be upset about facing it at lv 4 but there's not much you can do but attempt to rely on your Medium BAB and good skill list to get out, try to steal yourself a mundane ranged weapon and use your social skills and CHA whenever possible.

It could be a dead magic zone.

Also level 4 warlock in party with troll barbarians? To be a troll barbarian you have to be like level 12 at least (6 racial HD + 5 Level Adjustment + 1 level of brabarian).

Gildedragon
2014-05-08, 03:45 PM
Make every right turn, and only right turns. If you come to a dead end, make two right turns, thereby turning around. No magic necessary.

Except that assumes a simply connected maze. Stairs, pits, or a complex layout can make the follow-the-right-wall rule null through altering the topology of the thing, let alone traps such as moving or illusory walls

Ssalarn
2014-05-08, 03:45 PM

Hah! That was the first thing I thought as well.

Well, that and "What did you do to cheese off your DM?".

Thorvaldr
2014-05-08, 03:46 PM
What did you do to anger your DM?

Oh, YUP! The only solution is to bribe your DM with chips as a sign of atonement.

And for the anti-magic field, I assume it's a plot anti-magic field, and not a spell. So I assume he has a way of you getting out of this. Although if the rest of the party are barbarians, you're really the only one being affected by the magic being turned off. I'd talk it out with him, ask for at least a sling or a spear and a hint as to where to go.

Fable Wright
2014-05-08, 03:49 PM
Is it an antimagic field, or a dead magic zone? This is very relevant. If it is an Antimagic Field, it is an emanation, which can be blocked off by line of effect. In which case, all you need to do is find the source, put a tablecloth over it, and go back to being a Warlock. If it's a dead magic zone, you're screwed.

Also? What kind of DM approves a party of Troll Barbarians (which are at least level 11) with a level 4 character?

Gildedragon
2014-05-08, 03:54 PM
Is it an antimagic field, or a dead magic zone? This is very relevant. If it is an Antimagic Field, it is an emanation, which can be blocked off by line of effect. In which case, all you need to do is find the source, put a tablecloth over it, and go back to being a Warlock. If it's a dead magic zone, you're screwed.

Also? What kind of DM approves a party of Troll Barbarians (which are at least level 11) with a level 4 character?

Heck just put a tablecloth over oneself. Warlock from underneath the thing, pretend you are a ghost.

Talothorn
2014-05-08, 04:19 PM
That only works if he is carrying a tablecloth. That's why I asked what equipment he had. ;)

Vizzerdrix
2014-05-08, 04:25 PM
If you survive, invest in a lot of shapesand. If you still have your cloths make a sling from your socks. If you want to make your DM deal with squick factor, "poison" the blade you have with your waste and/or use it to mark your trail. You are doing it right if the DM gets squeamish. Remember, you need EVERY advantage you can get right now. Don't be afraid to play dirty.

Benthesquid
2014-05-08, 04:48 PM
Except that assumes a simply connected maze. Stairs, pits, or a complex layout can make the follow-the-right-wall rule null through altering the topology of the thing, let alone traps such as moving or illusory walls

Stairs, pits, and traps all count as "things that are in the maze with you." :smalltongue:

Socratov
2014-05-08, 05:17 PM
So, you are a magic user, in an anti-magic zone, by yourself?

use hide, move silent and try to find the rest to hide behind.

ahenobarbi
2014-05-08, 06:47 PM

Actually Troll Barbarian is at least ECL 12

Also level 4 warlock in party with troll barbarians? To be a troll barbarian you have to be like level 12 at least (6 racial HD + 5 Level Adjustment + 1 level of brabarian).

Basically sounds to me like a bad case of a DM who doesn't know rules a problem but usually solvable (most are willing to learn in my experience) with "let's prove magic sucks by putting magic user against much higher level threats" (very workable if playing the DM doesn't bother you; personally I'd walk away from a game like that)

You should have enough clothing on you to create 5ft cube with somewhat solid walls. If it is a Antimagic Field solid walls will block it. If it's not... reconsider playing with that DM.

Also ask for XP if you manage to survive. This is threat of much higher level than your character, you should get really a lot.

Kane0
2014-05-08, 06:51 PM
If you trust your party enough, grab yourself a nice place to wait and hold out for your barbarian mates. A couple listen checks should tell you if that are breaking down any doors near you.

Talothorn
2014-05-08, 08:03 PM
Never give up! Fight it out as best you can. If you die, roll up a troll warlock.

firebrandtoluc
2014-05-08, 08:42 PM
How do you know there are no secret doors? Did you take 20 on the entire area? Unless your DM is just a jerk, there is a solution. The fact that the doors are made of your own personal kryptonite might be a clue. The whole thing could be an illusion designed to make you give up. Try kicking down the door. Goonies never say die.

Harlot
2014-05-09, 11:06 AM
Where to start... The DM doesn't read English very well and thus sort of makes up stuff as we go. I didnt piss him off, he just didnt think, I guess. Also explains the warlock with troll barbarians thing ...

Dont know what sort of anti magic it is. It just is, and its the whole building undoubtedly.

I have zero equipment as the Maze is a prison, I was arrested and got my things confiscated, I only have the braidblade because the DM forgot about it., I escaped my cell through sheer luck but cant figure out how to escape the building. The warlock is a mashup of templates, one of them giving me the ability to see hidden doors if within 5 feet of them, so I know there arent any.

I think the choice is between an epic death or making like a Disney Princess and wait for the rescue ... Prefereably the former...

Thanks for the feedback, guess I am really screwed ...

/ Harlot

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-09, 11:11 AM
Craft a club or quarterstaff or both. The price of each is 0 gp, so the cost of materials is 0 gp, and the time it takes to craft either is multiplied by that zero price, so the time it takes is also zero. Basically, any character can make a DC 12 Craft check (which you're allowed to take ten on) to pull a club or quarterstaff out of the air without even spending a free action. So at least you have a basic weapon, but it's still grossly unfair that your level 4 character is stuck in a CR 13 environment.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-09, 11:25 AM
The warlock is a mashup of templates

Mind elaborating on exactly what templates are included? There might be a bit of a toolbox there we can work with, at least for good role play options if nothing else.

Harlot
2014-05-12, 03:19 PM
Sorry for being slow on the reply, and thanks for helping.
Good advice on the crafting - yes, I'll pull a staff out of thin air - and thanks for backing me up morally on the overall unfairness of it all. It would help if I thought the DM had some sort of greater plan, but I don't think he has.

On the templates: Knowing the others would be trolls, I went for cheese an thus I have a magicblooded unseelie fey starelf which is also winged with perfect maneuverability (doesn't really help in a dungeon though. Thinking of it, he might have placed me in the dungeon as a reaction to my standard action of getting airborne, and blasting stuff from a range of 250 ft. But its a warlock lvl. 4 for crying out loud - not much else to do really...)

So for special abilities/nice stuff there's this:

Special abilities/proficiencies: lowligt vision, immunity to sleep effects (got me out of the cell, that one)
Entitled to search check if within 5 feet of a concealed door (I've searched a LOT)
Spellike abilities:
Otherworldly touch: 'ghost touch' transfers to any weapon wielded – only at night.
Detect magic, Nystul's Magical Aura, Nystul's Undetectable aura, and read magic 1/day
Seasons power: Summer Caress (Su): Surrounded as if by the warm, verdant air of summer, an unseelie fey with summer's caress is protected by a magic circle of nature. This ability functions much like a magic circle against evil, except that it protects against attacks from all creatures of any alignment except for those of the animal, beast, fey, or magical beast creature types. Caster level equal to HD.

(But they don't work, so not really of any aid at all...)

That's about it.
The plan currently is to craft a staff, find something to fight, and die - so the good roleplaying option IS the way to go!!

Thanks
/Harlot

Gildedragon
2014-05-12, 03:24 PM
Make a gargantuan sling, use as the aforementioned tablecloth, ram a ghost touch staff through a door to open it forcibly

Also magicblooded and fey, you have a killer Cha. Find something and diplomancy it into being a friend.

Yogibear41
2014-05-12, 08:02 PM
as well as your DR 1.

DR/Cold Iron doesn't work in an anti-magic field

This is why you never leave home without a morning-star and a light cross-bow. Got a level 9 multi-class lock, never seen an anti-magic field on him probably never will still got my morning-star and crossbow though (to be fair the cross bow is mainly for those cool grappling bolt things from complete adventurer I believe, but I have 10 or so regular bolts just in case)

Missed the prison part

I assume the maze is made out of stone? How big are the hall ways (height/width) how is the stone fitted on the floor/walls brick by brick etc? were the trolls arrested as well? what did you do and who arrested you? is it lit by torches or are you using dark-vision to see? how long have you been in there? did they ever bring you food/water? can you still get back to your jail cell? what does it smell like? any special skills you have that aren't Knowledge/spellcraft/UMD related?

If the floor/wall are mortered bricks you could also dig out the mortar and pull one of the bricks and and use it to whack things with if you needed it. Granted this would take alot of time.

Craft a club or quarterstaff or both. The price of each is 0 gp, so the cost of materials is 0 gp, and the time it takes to craft either is multiplied by that zero price, so the time it takes is also zero. Basically, any character can make a DC 12 Craft check (which you're allowed to take ten on) to pull a club or quarterstaff out of the air without even spending a free action. So at least you have a basic weapon, but it's still grossly unfair that your level 4 character is stuck in a CR 13 environment.

Also I'm sorry but wood doesn't come out of thin air.

If you happen to have had a bed in your cell (which you probably didn't) you can break off one of its potentially wooden legs to make a club. If it doesn't break take your knife and wittle it down at the breaking point then try again(this will take sometime so if you are in a hurry its a no go)

TuggyNE
2014-05-12, 08:52 PM
DR/Cold Iron doesn't work in an anti-magic field

Ummmm… what? DR is, as far as I know, not even Ex, but natural. So unless there's something in Unseelie Fey that says the DR is Su for some reason, it isn't.

Yogibear41
2014-05-12, 09:32 PM
MM 1 Errata:

Damage Reduction
Damage Reduction is either extraordinary (Ex) or
supernatural (Su). Use the following guidelines if it is
not specified.
• DR X/slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning
should be (Ex)
• DR X/adamantine should be (Ex)
• DR X/-- should be (Ex)
• DR X/silver or cold iron should be (Su)
• DR X/magic should be (Su)
• DR X/chaotic, lawful, holy, or unholy should
be (Su)

Complete Arcane specifically says warlock DR is Su as well.

I think it would be safe to assume even though it does not specifically say it in the unseelie template it is as well.

Deophaun
2014-05-12, 10:24 PM
Also magicblooded and fey, you have a killer Cha. Find something and diplomancy it into being a friend.
Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
DM: You're the only one in the prison.
Player: I'm very convincing.
DM: And there are no guards.
Player: But there's masonry.
DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.
DM: ::facepalm::
Player: ...
DM: ...
DM: Roll...

Malroth
2014-05-12, 10:36 PM
Player: 2, after twice my CHA mod thanks to marshal dip, My racial bonus, Twice my skill ranks thanks to item familliar and my Warlock and Mindbender bonuses That comes to above the 150 i need to turn an enemy into a fanatic

TuggyNE
2014-05-12, 10:49 PM
MM 1 Errata:

Damage Reduction
Damage Reduction is either extraordinary (Ex) or
supernatural (Su). Use the following guidelines if it is
not specified.
• DR X/slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning
should be (Ex)
• DR X/adamantine should be (Ex)
• DR X/-- should be (Ex)
• DR X/silver or cold iron should be (Su)
• DR X/magic should be (Su)
• DR X/chaotic, lawful, holy, or unholy should
be (Su)

OK, fair enough. Not sure why that's not in the SRD; time to write a correction email I guess.

Gildedragon
2014-05-12, 10:53 PM

Can I sig this.

ben-zayb
2014-05-12, 11:01 PM
What is your alignment and Knowledge (the Planes) modifier? Maybe Pazuzu can work off of antimagic fields.

Gildedragon
2014-05-12, 11:10 PM
What is your alignment and Knowledge (the Planes) modifier? Maybe Pazuzu can work off of antimagic fields.

Pazzy summoning is a bad bad bad idea if one is not LG; and even then

Deophaun
2014-05-12, 11:23 PM
Can I sig this.

Absolutely.

Harlot
2014-05-27, 03:54 PM
Sorry once again for not responding promptly. My Real LIfe sucks at the moment.

Anyhow; just wrote to say, that I got out of the maze prison thing eventually, because the trolls freed me. :-P

YES my charisma is ridiculously high. Like godlike. And the DM doesn't roleplay it, so when I tried to strike up a conversation with the guards/other prisoners etc, the DM just went ' Oh, he ignores you' and wouldn't let me roll for any diplomacy or bluff checks.

At last gaming session I actually/finally had a tantrum and told my DM, that if he won't consider roling/checking/playing/using ANY skills other than combat skills, having a non-melee character is absolutely moot, and if that's how he runs the game, I'll roll up another character and kill this one.

He actually seemed to get my point, so I hope things'll get better. Can't get much worse. And I blame myself for bringing a diplomacy-based sneaky blaster-type to the table, knowing him as a DM. I should have known how it'd go.

Anyhow, thanks again for trying to help and thanks for the brilliant quote, Deophaun. Had me laughing (Out Lound, Indeed!)

/Harlot

atemu1234
2014-05-27, 03:58 PM
Oh, YUP! The only solution is to bribe your DM with chips as a sign of atonement.

No, the only reason a DM would be this level of jerk would be because the PC cheesed him off.