PDA

View Full Version : How much would you price a auto overcome Sr weapon?

CyberThread
2014-05-08, 04:10 PM
So....duskblade wants a weapon that when he stabs someone and channels a spell it overcomes sr.

What is a fair price on this?

LordHenry
2014-05-08, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't consider it too strong so for the sake of fun I'd price it somewhere affordable: I'd say something like a flat 10k addition to its usually price. If he's already at higher levels or SR is very common in your campaign maybe a little bit more expensive.

Rebel7284
2014-05-08, 04:53 PM
The only ability that I know that overcomes SR completely is Factotum 11 class feature.
Note that golems have infinite SR, does this overcome that too?

Sewercop
2014-05-08, 04:55 PM
its an epic feat so more than 10k.
Btw golems would be affected by that since magic immunity is spellresistance just infinite..
shouldnt give it to him at all imo, way op

Harrow
2014-05-08, 05:05 PM
its an epic feat so more than 10k.
Btw golems would be affected by that since magic immunity is spellresistance just infinite..
shouldnt give it to him at all imo, way op

What kind of game are you playing where direct damage spells that get through SR are op?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 05:10 PM
What kind of game are you playing where direct damage spells that get through SR are op?

Not so much them, but my issue would be with shadow evocation/conjuration (and their derivatives/mimics) .

icefractal
2014-05-08, 05:13 PM
Totally overcoming SR seems rather powerful. Getting a bonus against it though, should be fine.

Way #1:
Somewhere (A&EG?) a feat was mentioned as costing 5K. So, Greater Spell Penetration, 10K, half because it's only for channeled spells ...
+4 vs SR, Cost: +5K

Way #2:
There's a +1 metamagic (which I forget the name of) which gives +5 vs SR. If we extrapolate the rod from 3/day to at-will, using the magic items rules (potentially unbalanced, but ok in this context I think), and discount for only channeled spells, that gives us:
+5 vs SR, Cost: +2.5K (up to 3rd level spells), +9K (up to 6th level spells)

And from there, you could extrapolate a +2 version of the metamagic, that granted +10, which would then cost:
+10 vs SR, Cost: +7.5K (up to 3rd level spells), +27K (up to 6th level spells)

Which is probably enough for his purposes, but - extreme version:
+20 vs SR, Cost: +29K (up to 3rd level spells), +62.5K (up to 6th level spells)

Edit: I don't remember what the Duskblade's list is like. If they don't get anything that amazing to channel, then you might be able to discount this more, or even allow the "auto-pierce" version.

Corrin Avatan
2014-05-08, 05:54 PM
Totally overcoming SR seems rather powerful. Getting a bonus against it though, should be fine.

Way #1:
Somewhere (A&EG?) a feat was mentioned as costing 5K. So, Greater Spell Penetration, 10K, half because it's only for channeled spells ...
+4 vs SR, Cost: +5K

Way #2:
There's a +1 metamagic (which I forget the name of) which gives +5 vs SR. If we extrapolate the rod from 3/day to at-will, using the magic items rules (potentially unbalanced, but ok in this context I think), and discount for only channeled spells, that gives us:
+5 vs SR, Cost: +2.5K (up to 3rd level spells), +9K (up to 6th level spells)

And from there, you could extrapolate a +2 version of the metamagic, that granted +10, which would then cost:
+10 vs SR, Cost: +7.5K (up to 3rd level spells), +27K (up to 6th level spells)

Which is probably enough for his purposes, but - extreme version:
+20 vs SR, Cost: +29K (up to 3rd level spells), +62.5K (up to 6th level spells)

Edit: I don't remember what the Duskblade's list is like. If they don't get anything that amazing to channel, then you might be able to discount this more, or even allow the "auto-pierce" version.

Another option is the "automatically overcomes spell resistance if it is low enough"

For example, instead of giving a +5 bonus to SR checks, if the target's spell resistance is less than, say, 10, it automatically succeeds, or something like that. Not sure how to price, it, though, and don't have time to do the math.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 06:15 PM
The problem with that is that you always succeed on any SR check that is CL+1 or lower
One can use Assay Resistance (4th Swift action, +10 untyped bonus against a single target for 1 round/level) and True Casting (1st Standard, +10 Circumstance bonus on the next spell) as a starting point.
That'd make it so you auto succeed on checks of CL+21 or lower, which bypasses most, if not all monsters of equal CR.

Sith_Happens
2014-05-08, 07:29 PM
Let's see, the suggested default price for an at-will item based on Assay Spell Resistance usable only by a single class is 35280 gp. Of the Duskblade's offensive SR: Yes spells about a quarter are channelable, reducing the price proportionally to that restriction makes it 8820 gp. Add a slight surcharge for the effect not eating any of his swift actions like the actual spell would and you have a nice round 10000 gp, which seems reasonable to me.

A +10 is almost always more than enough to guarantee that his channeled spells will beat spell resistance every time. If he really wants to be able to ignore SR entirely (to Shocking Grasp golems, say), I'd just double the price to 20000 gp.

TuggyNE
2014-05-09, 12:15 AM
Since multiple methods have come up with the ~10kgp figure, that seems pretty reasonable.

Silva Stormrage
2014-05-09, 12:21 AM
Let's see, the suggested default price for an at-will item based on Assay Spell Resistance usable only by a single class is 35280 gp. Of the Duskblade's offensive SR: Yes spells about a quarter are channelable, reducing the price proportionally to that restriction makes it 8820 gp. Add a slight surcharge for the effect not eating any of his swift actions like the actual spell would and you have a nice round 10000 gp, which seems reasonable to me.

A +10 is almost always more than enough to guarantee that his channeled spells will beat spell resistance every time. If he really wants to be able to ignore SR entirely (to Shocking Grasp golems, say), I'd just double the price to 20000 gp.

Eh I think a 20k item that gives +10 to overcoming the check and also gives him arcane mastery and thus allows him to take 10 would work too. It doesn't allow him to automatically overcome SR but it does make it so that unless the creature is just flat out immune to spells or has something like 20+ his level in spell resistance he should be able to just auto pass it.

Fitz10019
2014-05-09, 01:37 AM
One [Duskblade of sufficient levels] can use Assay Resistance (4th Swift action, +10 untyped bonus against a single target for 1 round/level) and True Casting (1st Standard, +10 Circumstance bonus on the next spell) as a starting point.
That'd make it so you auto succeed on checks of CL+21 or lower, which bypasses most, if not all monsters of equal CR.

If you price an auto-succeed against SR, the party will say, "we'll take 5 please," and expect their magic items' effects to work on everything. It's better to make a +5 or +10 item that is mostly useful only when combined with the Duskblade's other abilities.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-09, 09:08 AM
That's why I said to use those two spells as a starting point when figuring out the item. Since it's a custom item, I was just showing a possible base that didn't involve feats. One can easily go, "these bonuses are always on in the hands of a duckblade using their channel spell ability, and are nonexistent outside of that use" And make cost alterations accordingly, when factoring that it's bound to a Duckblade class feature, and that only 1/4 of their spells have SR.
Really? All armor and only 1/4 of spells have SR, I need to play one of these soon
Just to make things clear, I am not saying this is a particularly good idea, just suggesting a way to go about this. Also, what I meant by "That'd make it so you auto succeed on checks of CL+21 or lower" is that when adding the bonuses to your CL, you could beat a SR between CL+21 to CL+40 depending on the d20 roll since you don't auto succeed or fail CL checks.

Harrow
2014-05-09, 10:06 AM
Remember that the OP is basically asking for a custom weapon enhancement. I'd probably put it at +2, because the only things it would be useful for would be Duskblades or Enlightened Fists with it on a Necklace of Natural Attacks.