PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warmage level 6... Yay! What now?

ArqArturo
2014-05-08, 10:47 PM
Of all the games I'm at (my weekend is sort of full, minus sundays, that's our GoT/BBQ day), the 3.5 game stands the most because it's the one I get to test a series of builds.

Now, Right now I'm playing a Human Warmage that I'm planning to have levels in Exalted Arcanist. Here are the stats:

Str 12
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 18

Feats: Purify Spell, Consecrate Spell, Magical Aptitude

But, now that I'm level 6, I've no idea either what spell to get with Advanced Learning (DM won't let me get Eclectic Learning), nor I have a Wisdom score high enough to get extra spells from Arcane Disciple (my warmage is LG and follows Pelor), so I'm sort of stuck on choices. The game is chock-full of Diplomacy and subterfuge, and so far either I have been the Face, or the Barbarian (go figure).

So when it comes to spell choices, I think Wingblast is a good choice, considering it gives me flying (something that the entire party sorely lacks, though we do have a flying ship)

Feat-wise, it's a bit harder, so I'm guessing maybe a Reserve Feat for damage would be interesting (Storm Bolt and Acidic Splatter call my attention). Another idea is to add Nimbus of Light, figuring I'm already Exalted, in a way, or maybe Add Acquire Familiar in order to get a celestial one later.

Books I own:

Complete Warrior, Mage, Arcana, Adventurer, Scoundrel, Divine.
Sandstorm
Frostburn
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Dragon Magic
Draconomicon
Races of Stone, Wild, Destiny, Eberron
Lords of Madness
Fiend Folio

Also, the DM forbids setting-specific material, save Races of Eberron.

The party consists of, besides my character and the barbarian (wild elf), and elf cleric, a human fighter, a dwarf ranger, a human sorcerer, and a human rogue. Almost no one, save me and the barbarian, are optimized. But, my character is a Warmage, he has to :p.

Pyromancer999
2014-05-09, 03:28 AM
If you've got the space, take the Rainbow Servant Prestige class, providing you go by the text, which gives it 10/10 spellcasting. It gives you all the spells from the Good, Law, and Air Domains, and the 10th level gives you access to the Cleric spell list, which means you can cast EVERY CLERIC SPELL YOU WANT SPONTANEOUSLY. This would allow you to fill in the gaps by casting spells your party needs,but haven't been prepared by your party's cleric and/or areas your party's sorcerer can't cover. If your party isn't optimized, may still be worth taking even with the table's 7/10 spellcasting if your DM goes with that. Also fits well with your Exalted Arcanist theme of being good in a divine sense.

Averis Vol
2014-05-09, 05:07 AM
If you've got the space, take the Rainbow Servant Prestige class, providing you go by the text, which gives it 10/10 spellcasting. It gives you all the spells from the Good, Law, and Air Domains, and the 10th level gives you access to the Cleric spell list, which means you can cast EVERY CLERIC SPELL YOU WANT SPONTANEOUSLY. This would allow you to fill in the gaps by casting spells your party needs,but haven't been prepared by your party's cleric and/or areas your party's sorcerer can't cover. If your party isn't optimized, may still be worth taking even with the table's 7/10 spellcasting if your DM goes with that. Also fits well with your Exalted Arcanist theme of being good in a divine sense.

While that would probably be the most mechanically sound option, suddenly worshipping flying feathered lizards probably wont make the most sense for a LG pelorian. If he was neutral I would suggest sandshaper because it also opens up more options, but as it stands, I'm not quite sure (sorry for the somewhat unhelpful post)

Nightraiderx
2014-05-09, 06:44 AM
you can reflavor rainbow servant, the flying snaek worshipping is fluff.
Well you could just become a warmage/Warmage (prc) and protect your allies with a shield bonus to cha and
get some extra oomph out of your damage spells (+3 per die at lvl 5th is nice).

Incanur
2014-05-09, 08:24 AM
Remember that you have access to ice storm as a 3rd level spell. In my opinion that's one of the best things warmages have going for them. Lately I've even been thinking about a build focused on throwing as much metamagic as possible on ice storm. In your case, just keep the spell in mind as solid dual-threat blast/BFC.

P.S. What's Exalted Spell? I can't find any info on that feat and I don't see it in the BoED.

Vedhin
2014-05-09, 08:59 AM
Bah, pesky setting-specific material bans. That bars most of the utility Evocation spells. And no Spell Compendium either.

Numbing Sphere from Frostburn is a good pick.

After that, not much besides Wingblast which you already mentioned, and a variety of blasts.

For feats, Reserve feats are handy. You could also try the Coldcasting feats from Frostburn. If so, talk the cleric into casting Cloak of Shade from Sandstorm on you each morning. It's a 1st level spell, no big resource drain. Find some way of getting the Control Temperature spell from Frostburn.

ArqArturo
2014-05-09, 10:27 AM
Remember that you have access to ice storm as a 3rd level spell. In my opinion that's one of the best things warmages have going for them. Lately I've even been thinking about a build focused on throwing as much metamagic as possible on ice storm. In your case, just keep the spell in mind as solid dual-threat blast/BFC.

P.S. What's Exalted Spell? I can't find any info on that feat and I don't see it in the BoED.

Sorry, that's Consecrate Spell.

The DM has let me nudge the alignment requirement for Arcane Disciple (although I still have to work with Wisdom), and I just borrowed the Spell Compendium. I forgot how many spells were there in the first place (my copy was stolen, alongside my laptop some time ago). Any suggestions. Also, is there a reserve feat for healing spells?.

Pyromancer999
2014-05-09, 11:24 AM
While that would probably be the most mechanically sound option, suddenly worshipping flying feathered lizards probably wont make the most sense for a LG pelorian. If he was neutral I would suggest sandshaper because it also opens up more options, but as it stands, I'm not quite sure (sorry for the somewhat unhelpful post)

It can easily be refluffed. A friend of mine who makes many Divine/Arcane combo characters has done so before, having the prestige class be refluffed as becoming a mortal arcane servitor of Cuthbert, with the wings being Angelic Wings. Not too much of a stretch for the same thing to happen to a servant of Pelor.

Sorry, that's Consecrate Spell.
Also, is there a reserve feat for healing spells?.

There is this (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/touch-of-healing--2940/). Not necessarily the best, though, and would also recommend taking the Draconic Aura feat for Vigor instead, as it does basically the same thing, but automatically and constantly for you and all allies within 30 feet.

ArqArturo
2014-05-09, 10:15 PM
There is this (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/touch-of-healing--2940/). Not necessarily the best, though, and would also recommend taking the Draconic Aura feat for Vigor instead, as it does basically the same thing, but automatically and constantly for you and all allies within 30 feet.

Ah, that works. But yeah, the Draconic Aura is just better, since I don't have to burn through spell slots to heal people, and I don't completely remove the cleric aside (although, I can never truly do that, all things considered).

Also, I just spoke to the DM, he hasn't looked on the Radiant Servant, and he says that he'll see it. But, from what I know, level 10 of the radiant servant means that you can add them to your spells known, no that they're on the list; although it could be argued that, since the Warmage knows all the list it could mean it is available already.