PDA

View Full Version : Help me, I need a word

Eldan
2014-05-09, 06:07 AM
I'm looking for a noun to describe creatures from outside reality that isn't taken in D&D yet. "Outsider" is out, those are from the outer planes. Farspawn is already a template, too, though it's closest. Any other ideas?

BWR
2014-05-09, 06:19 AM
Alien
Stranger
Beyonder
Oddities
OMFGthat'sjustwrong'ers

Waar
2014-05-09, 06:21 AM
I'm looking for a noun to describe creatures from outside reality that isn't taken in D&D yet. "Outsider" is out, those are from the outer planes. Farspawn is already a template, too, though it's closest. Any other ideas?

What about alien or maybe unreal?

Khedrac
2014-05-09, 06:21 AM
Actually "outside reality" is what the so-called "Far Realm" is, but it's not an alternative reality, it's something else, so Farspawn could fit.

Anyway, you want alternatives:

Externals - suitable for creatures from a different reality that isn't too different (the way the Far Realm is).

Alternates - for creatures from a parallel reality that is very similar.

Others - suitable for, well anything.

Good luck.

Eldan
2014-05-09, 06:27 AM
I know what the Far Realm is, yeah. Maybe I could just have said that I need a new word for creatures from there, but since I posted this in the Roleplaying forum, I didn't want to use a D&D-specific term.

I like "External". Has a nice ring to it.

lytokk
2014-05-09, 06:30 AM
Slider? Just thinking of that good old TV show.

Hyena
2014-05-09, 06:31 AM
Deviants. In World of Darkness, that's the word Technocracy uses for any super in the setting.

nedz
2014-05-09, 06:31 AM
Ingressive/Egressive
Interjector
Immergent
Excursive
Divergent
Disjecta

oball
2014-05-09, 06:34 AM
Farsiders.

They appear to us normal mortals as huge, bipedal cows :P

Ace Mace
2014-05-09, 02:13 PM
"Kaiju" which literally means "strange creature." Does that help?

Cikomyr
2014-05-09, 02:17 PM
Farrealm Denizen

Red Fel
2014-05-09, 02:18 PM
Things-Which-Must-Not-Be. TWMNBs (pronounced "twimbs"), if you're hip.

Only if you're hip.

The Oni
2014-05-09, 02:25 PM
Things-Which-Must-Not-Be. TWMNBs (pronounced "twimbs"), if you're hip.

Only if you're hip.

And if you're not hip, they'll find you.

But, there's always "xenos," (zee-KNOWS) which has the benefit of Xtreme Cool Letters and really rolls off the tongue.

Externals is cool if for whatever reason your extraplanars are being referred to by military/science fiction/intelligence terminology. It doesn't sound like a term civvies would use in casual conversation.

Segev
2014-05-09, 02:54 PM
"The Others" has a good ring to it in fantasy, I've found.

Blightedmarsh
2014-05-09, 02:56 PM
The impossibles
The Foe
The Nothing
The Unthings
The out of context problem
The error
The crawling apocalypse
The organism
The transcendent madness
The utter sanity
The bleed
The void
The Entropy
The Snarl
The Corruption

kieza
2014-05-09, 03:12 PM
Anathema
Antitheses
Obscenities
OOCMes (Out Of Context Monsters)

Brookshw
2014-05-09, 03:32 PM
Do you want a term or something that could be used as slang in a game? Slang wise: "mind frs" (or minders), "trippies" or "bad trips", "squids", "no ones" (or bones), I could go on. If your looking for a term I quite like "others" and you could go to some lengths if you're looking for something a bit more scientific sounding. "non-dimensional(s)", "theoretical dimensional beings (tdb's for short) and the list goes on and on.

Anxe
2014-05-09, 04:09 PM
Dimensioners
Dimensionals

Socratov
2014-05-09, 04:10 PM
Otherworldly
External
Constants (outside of reality, which is ever changing, and thus be constants)
Seraphim/watchers (which, translated, refers to watchers. Considering they are from outside reality means they would be watching reality)
Others (shamelessly stolen form the web serial Pact (http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/))
Endless (just to pay homage to Neil Gaiman, and it's a great term for the more abstract powers that be.

dps
2014-05-10, 12:33 AM
The Inexplicibles

The Unknowns

The Trancendents

Leviting
2014-05-10, 01:10 AM
The Parrellels. (for entities such as Pandorym)
The Dreamers
The Ideals.

D-naras
2014-05-10, 04:12 AM
The Beyonders
The Mobius
The Makrinoi, singular Makrinos (from the greek distant)
The Malproksima (from the esperanto distant)

Madeiner
2014-05-10, 06:46 AM
IMC, centered around devils and demons, i use "Horde" to say that i'm speaking interchangeably of one group or the other, without specificying which one.

Geostationary
2014-05-10, 11:04 PM
Interlopers
Denizens of the [whatever you call the exterior of reality] (or Denizens for short)
The Is-Not (not to be confused with the things of the world, the Is)
Echthroi

Malimar
2014-05-10, 11:30 PM
Take your pick from the list of Lovecraft's favorite words (http://cthulhuchick.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/)? I'm fond of "eldritch", myself.

smasher0404
2014-05-10, 11:36 PM
How about The Liminals?

da_chicken
2014-05-11, 02:29 AM
Xeno or xenos.

Gildedragon
2014-05-11, 01:06 PM
For what context:
Colloquially "Outsiders" works just fine. It even allows for confusion and ambiguity.
"Them" is also good
Technically:
Ineffables
Pseudonaturals (if going far realms-y; there is even a template)
Neverweres
Shouldntbe-s
Anathemas
Exolites
Wanderers

veti
2014-05-11, 05:44 PM
Take your pick from the list of Lovecraft's favorite words (http://cthulhuchick.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/)? I'm fond of "eldritch", myself.

Hands up: who knew there were so many references to "cat" in Lovecraft?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-11, 05:48 PM
Heh, "eldritch" is a tad overused, though...

What if you played off of "Xenos"? The original Greek term! Oh, whoops. I didn't notice it up there.

Ionbound
2014-05-11, 06:08 PM
How about "Whiskey-Binge-Inducers"? WBIs?

Eldan
2014-05-12, 02:28 AM
Xenos is a very nice word, but I think I've just played too much Warhammer lately to still take it seriously.

I think I'll take "External" as the group heading and then a few others as specific examples:

Anathema seems to suggest something religious or a curse. I'm thinking either a corrupted divine servant, say, a twisted angel, or a mad cleric who tries to summon them.
Seraphim or Watchers is good too. As I see it, most Far Realm entities don't really want anything to do with reality. It is just as strange and painful to them as they are to us. The Watchers are different, they are fascinated by our reality. Far Realm scientists.
And then probably something along the lines of Immergent (I do like that word) or Ingressive for proper far realm entities that actually try to come here.

nedz
2014-05-14, 05:04 AM
There's always: The Hipsters

Hamste
2014-05-14, 06:11 AM
There's always: The Hipsters
I can imagine it now,

They were outside this universe before it was cool. Then the wizards made it mainstream to go to alternate universes and now all they want to do is get into this universe.

I'm personally in favor of naming them Blasted outside beings or BOB for short.

Tarqiup Inua
2014-05-14, 06:54 AM
Outlanders?