PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Retraining Oracle 10 as Goblin

Spore
2014-05-09, 06:47 AM
Greetings playground,

I played a middle-aged Half-Elf Lore Oracle 10 (11/8/18/16/12/22 with Cha +4 plus racial +2, Con +2) with Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan), Boon Companion and (Arcane) to get an Animal Companion at HD-1 and an Familiar at HD-2.

Now I was killed by a phantasmal killer cast by a bogeyman (after failing vs. the fear aura of course). Our druid cast Reincarnate and I rolled up a Goblin. Effectively disabling my free Skill Focus and three feats building up on that.

My feats so far:
HE: Skill Focus (Know Nature)
1. Human Spirit (both +1 HP and Skill per favored class)
3. Create Wondrous Items
5. Eldritch Heritage: Sylvan
7. Eldritch Heritage: Arcane
9. Boon Companion (Dire Wolf)

All the red stuff goes away after the end of the adventure (my DM let me keep my companions for the rest of the day). I will retrain feats (and Paragon Surge, since I will stay in that form for a while). My character was built as enabler, healer, textbook and socialite. My refluffed dire wolf was for defense as well as utility (scent basically). I want to make use of the goblin body for a good amount of time (since working towards a miracle spell is tedious and boring) but I am unsure whether I should change my entirety of tactics.

a) My idea was Toughness (keep Skills, replace HP lost from Human Spirit), Toppling spell, Extend Spell and changing Paragon Surge for Spiritual Weapon (longbow for me). This leaves me with an additional feat slot (Improved Initiative? Combat Casting?)
b) Keep my tactics and loose Human Spirit for Skill Focus. Take the hit to HP, keep my skill ranks.
c) your idea.

I am unsure what I should do. I will use Retraining Rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/campaignSystems/retraining.html#_retraining) and I will have enough downtime and money to spend to remove both negative levels and retrain for 2-3 weeks.

avr
2014-05-09, 09:58 AM
If you went with the new tactics idea and got Summon Good Monster with the spare feat & also picked up Summon Monster IV as a spell known, you could temporarily summon back a celestial dire wolf or a hound archon - the spirit of your lost companion perhaps?

That assumes you're good aligned. The duration and casting time are a pain, but it does give you flexibility via the various spells/SLAs of the creatures you could summon.

grarrrg
2014-05-09, 10:09 AM
Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan), Boon Companion and (Arcane) to get an Animal Companion at HD-1 and an Familiar at HD-2.

Well, you technically can't take Eldritch Heritage twice, so I'm assuming your DM OK'd it.
What you can/should do is take Animal Ally (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally) instead.

inertia709
2014-05-09, 11:58 AM
From the text of the
reincarnate spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reincarnate):

A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed.

Notice that feats do not change. This is related to the fact that racial stat modifiers to mental ability scores do not change: basically, you are, mentally speaking, the same creature, and therefore features related to training, intelligence, etc. do not change. In particular, even though you are now a goblin, you keep your bonus skill focus from being a half-elf. In short, only the racial features specifically listed as modified by the spell change; think of yourself as some sort of goblin/half-elf hybrid, or a half-elf in a goblin body, rather than purely a goblin.

Spore
2014-05-09, 04:47 PM
Well, you technically can't take Eldritch Heritage twice, so I'm assuming your DM OK'd it.
What you can/should do is take Animal Ally (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally) instead.

Oh, no he didn't. I assumed Eldritch x and Eldritch y is a different feat as Weapon Focus Longsword is also different to Weapon Focus Greatsword. Thanks.

If you went with the new tactics idea and got Summon Good Monster with the spare feat & also picked up Summon Monster IV as a spell known, you could temporarily summon back a celestial dire wolf or a hound archon - the spirit of your lost companion perhaps?

That assumes you're good aligned. The duration and casting time are a pain, but it does give you flexibility via the various spells/SLAs of the creatures you could summon.

Well, I am no cleric so I lack the aura prerequisite for that.

From the text of the
reincarnate spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reincarnate):

Notice that feats do not change. This is related to the fact that racial stat modifiers to mental ability scores do not change: basically, you are, mentally speaking, the same creature, and therefore features related to training, intelligence, etc. do not change. In particular, even though you are now a goblin, you keep your bonus skill focus from being a half-elf. In short, only the racial features specifically listed as modified by the spell change; think of yourself as some sort of goblin/half-elf hybrid, or a half-elf in a goblin body, rather than purely a goblin.

Thanks for pointing that out. Does this mean I do not loose my racial Charismaboost to Charisma? What about my age boni to mental stats?

grarrrg
2014-05-09, 06:22 PM
Oh, no he didn't. I assumed Eldritch x and Eldritch y is a different feat as Weapon Focus Longsword is also different to Weapon Focus Greatsword. Thanks.

The important difference is that Weapon Focus says (underlined for emphasis): "Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon."

Thanks for pointing that out. Does this mean I do not loose my racial Charismaboost to Charisma? What about my age boni to mental stats?

You keep your Racial CHA bonus.
Age Penalties/Bonuses are less clear.
Reincarnate says: "spell creates an entirely new young adult body".
I'd say you do not get any Physical Age penalties. As for whether this 'resets' any Mental Age Bonuses is not so clear.
Most likely options are you either lose any Mental bonuses, or you keep the current ones, but don't get to "double up" (i.e. you can only get the Middle Aged +1 bonus one time only).