PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Undead Template suggestions

Chester
2014-05-09, 09:18 AM
Here's the situation:

In our campaign world, we worship the Greek Pantheon. Resurrection involves priests of Hades, whose permission is needed to allow a soul to come back from Tartarus. (Priests of other deities can try, but it's unlikely that it would work if they even attempt it.)

Of course, priests of Hades in our world are secretive and difficult to find.

Well, I play a Dread Necromancer. After speaking with my co-DM (we rotate), we came up with an idea: in case of PC death, I might attempt to Animate Dead, and Hades may surprise me by allowing the soul to come back (for a PC). (Yes, we are working out the limits of such an act.) Here's the catch: the price is that the PC becomes undead. (They player will be given the option for resurrection, but does not have to if he doesn't want to become undead).

So, we're looking at applying undead templates. Necropolitan is one obvious choice, but we're trying to find others. We'd like to stick with no more than LA +1 (in which case, the +1 would be the character's next level; anything higher than that interferes with class progression / builds).

Anyway, aside from Necropolitan, do you recommend any undead templates of no more than LA +1?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-09, 09:37 AM
Crypt Spawn from Magic of Faerun have LA +2 per the 3.5 update, but based on what it grants that's nowhere near justified. That template is typically gained after a creature with Undeath After Death cast on them has died.

Tryxx
2014-05-09, 09:57 AM
I think you could use the Bone and Corpse Creature templates from BoVD would work out well. I don't believe they have a listed level adjustment, but LA +1 wouldn't be out of line. Their descriptions specifically deny using Animate Dead to create them, but I assume you're DM will be willing to work with you in this instance.

Kazudo
2014-05-09, 10:42 AM
There is also the Skeletal Warrior template from (I believe, anyway) the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, you could just say that the retaining item (the name of which escapes me, and I'm AFB) is in Hades' hand. Sort of as a "Deal for the Deal".

I think it's LA +0 as well.

Urpriest
2014-05-09, 12:09 PM
While it's LA +2, Gravetouched Ghoul is my favorite "Low LA Undead but not generic like Necropolitan" option.

Yorrin
2014-05-09, 12:13 PM
There is also the Skeletal Warrior template from (I believe, anyway) the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, you could just say that the retaining item (the name of which escapes me, and I'm AFB) is in Hades' hand. Sort of as a "Deal for the Deal".

+1 to this. This is the only one I'm aware of, and it's pretty decent for a +1 template that grants undeath.

Kazudo
2014-05-09, 12:34 PM
+1 to this. This is the only one I'm aware of, and it's pretty decent for a +1 template that grants undeath.

And, since it's campaign setting-specific, it could easily be refluffed to fit the circumstances.

Chester
2014-05-09, 01:22 PM
Crypt Spawn from Magic of Faerun have LA +2 per the 3.5 update, but based on what it grants that's nowhere near justified. That template is typically gained after a creature with Undeath After Death cast on them has died.

Ooo . . .I like this one. :smallbiggrin:

Their descriptions specifically deny using Animate Dead to create them, but I assume you're DM will be willing to work with you in this instance.

Yeah, with our own world, it makes it a bit easier to work with it.

Absolutely works with the flavor of our world.

While it's LA +2, Gravetouched Ghoul is my favorite "Low LA Undead but not generic like Necropolitan" option.

Personally one of my favorites, but I DO think the LA+2 is appropriate, so we'd have to see if player is willing to make that sacrifice to levels.

And, since it's campaign setting-specific, it could easily be refluffed to fit the circumstances.

Precisely. :smallcool: