PDA

View Full Version : Protoss

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 11:26 AM
This is a race adapted from the game StarCraft. StarCraft is copyrighted by Blizzard.

Protoss

http://ewancient.lysator.liu.se/pic/fanq/d/c/dclee2/ef2protoss.jpg
Pictured: Dark Templar (Front), High Templar (Back). Picture drawn by Devon Cady-Lee on Elfwood.

Arriving on the world through a mysterious means relatively recently, Protoss are a striking new race that stands out amongst the humans, elves, dwarves, and other humanoids of the world. Their general want to keep to themselves has kept them a mystery.
Personality: Protoss, in general, are secretive an aloof. They view the other races of the world as beneath them in power, skill, and knowledge. Because of this, they value intelligence and zealotry above all. This does not mean that Protoss are outright rude. At least, not intentionally; they may overlook other races as insignificant, but they won't object to working with them.
Physical Description: Protoss are about three meters tall and have two luminous eyes, digitigrade legs, four digits on each of their hands (of which two are opposable), toes, broad chests and shoulders, and narrow waists with slim midsections. Their skin is smooth and becomes rough and cracked with age. Extending back from the crown of the head, Protoss have a bony crest. Otherwise the head of a Protoss may be subtly different varying on which tribe they are descended from. Their eyes are typically blue, yellow, orange or red, with the latter two colors more common (but not exclusive) for Dark Templar. Additionally, Protoss do not have any visible mouths, noses, or ears. Though it is unknown how their senses of hearing or chemoreception operate, they are widely believed to possess such sensitivities. Protoss reach adulthood at around 250 years, and live to be much longer (some have been reported to live over a millenia.
Relations: Protoss get along famously with no race, believing all to be beneath them. However, they grudgingly put up with dwarves, who they can see as fellow warriors. Elves and Half-Orcs sit at the bottom of the barrel for Protoss, one for flightiness despite their long life and the other for their apparent stupidity. Other races populate a neutral ground, only being noticed when they do something to stand out to one extreme or the other.
Alignment: In general, the ordered structure of the High Protoss society causes a heavy tendency towards the lawful alignment. In contrast, the Dark Protoss break from this strict system and favor neutral or chaotic alignments.
Protoss Lands: Nobody knows where the Protoss hail from, although their peculiar appearance and mindset causes many to debate over alternate planes. However, the fact of the matter is that the Protoss are likely to have come from another planet on the material plane, having crashed any ship they may have travelled in.
Religion: United under the teachings of Khas after several generations of warfare, the Protoss began to adhere to Khas's teachings of the "Khala", or Path to Ascension. When Protoss warriors die in battle it is believed that they have reached the "Khala's End." These teachings hold to a strict caste system that unites the entire race, putting individual achievement low on the scale of priority. Dark Protoss split from this philosophy, embracing the value of the individual. They respect this belief and hold to other parts of its tenant, but would argue heavily with any High Protoss they encountered.
Language: Due to the telepathic nature of the Protoss, few, if any, have heard the Protoss language, Khalani. Many terran scholars debate that the Protoss normally speak in a "thought-language" that possesses neither words nor true structure.
Names: Protoss names may be based in their language, or it may be taken from some other culture as a temporary name while interactions are necessary. Each Protoss belongs to a tribe, although they may or may not choose to be referred to by this name.
Male Names: Aldaris, Artanis, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul.
Female Names: Raszagal, Selendis.
Clan Names: Akilae, Ara, Auriga, Furinax, Sargas, Shelak, Venatir, Velari.
Adventurers: Despite their aloof nature, Protoss hunger for knowledge and often travel worlds where they are in search of it. Alternately, they may also be looking for a way to return to their home if they have been stranded.

High Protoss
Large Humanoid (Psionic)

+4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. High Protoss are strong and hardy and wise, but may come across as self-righteous to outsiders.
Large Size: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
High Protoss base land speed is 30 feet.
Naturally Psionic: High Protoss gain 4 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as a level in a psionic class.
Naturally Telepathic (Psi): High Protoss are naturally telepathic, and can thus following abilities. At Will: Detect Psionics, manifested as the power, manifester level equal to class level. Additionally, they speak mind-to-mind to characters. Protoss are unable to speak to creatures who have their minds blocked off entirely, but are able to understand to some rudimentary extent any language of thought.
Augmented Movement (Psi): So well versed are the protoss in their psionic powers, that they often use psionic energy to boost their own movement. By expending a single power point, a High Protoss can augment his movement in one of two ways: it may increase its movement speed by 15 ft or it may ignore impediments due to rough terrain by floating a short distance above the ground. Both of these effects last for a number of rounds equal to half the High Protoss's class level, rounded down (min 1).
Photosynthetic Feeding: High Protoss gain sustenance through solar energy, even energy reflected from other orbiting bodies, such as moons. They consume water, but only in minute amounts, absorbed through their skin. They do not breathe.. They attain the feat Greater Sustenance as a racial ability.
Martial Training: High Protoss gain the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Psionic Blade) and Weapon Focus (Psionic Blade) automatically. High Protoss are trained from an early age with psionic weapons.
Automatic Languages: Common, Khalani. Bonus Languages: Any. High Protoss are well-traveled and learn new languages easily.
Favored Class: Psionic Warrior. A multiclass High Protoss's Psionic Warrior class does not count when determining whether he/she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +1.

Dark Protoss
Large Humanoid (Psionic)

+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. Dark Protoss are strong and agile and considered more amiable than their high brethren, but are still secretive and aloof.
Large Size: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Dark Protoss base land speed is 30 feet.
Naturally Psionic: Dark Protoss gain 4 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as a level in a psionic class.
Naturally Telepathic (Psi): Dark Protoss are naturally telepathic, and can thus following abilities. At Will: Detect Psionics, manifested as the power, manifester level equal to class level. Dark Protoss are unable to speak to creatures who have their minds blocked off entirely, but are able to understand to some rudimentary extent any language of thought.
Aspect of the Void (Psi): Drawing on the emptiness of space, Dark Protoss can vanish from sight and mind. They gain Hide in Plain Sight automatically as a racial abililty, but only while near shadow or darkness or any kind. While taking advantage of this ability, Dark Protoss are almost undetectable by psionic means (Caster level check to sense the Dark Templar with DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier).
Hunted Race: Dark Protoss gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks. Due to their outcast and infidel status, Dark Protoss have become adept at hiding despite their size.
Photosynthetic Feeding: Dark Protossgain sustenance through solar energy, even energy reflected from other orbiting bodies, such as moons. They consume water, but only in minute amounts, absorbed through their skin. They do not breathe. They attain the feat Greater Sustenance as a racial ability.
Martial Training: Dark Protoss gain the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Psionic Sword) and Weapon Focus (Psionic Sword) automatically. Dark Protoss are trained in the use of this psionic weapon from an early age.
Automatic Languages: Common, Khalani. Bonus Languages: Any. Dark Protoss are well-traveled and learn new languages easily.
Favored Class: Lurk. A multiclass Dark Protoss's Lurk class does not count when determining whether he/she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +1.

New Item: Psionic Blade
This wrist-mounted device allows a psionic user to manifest a blade of pure thought energy at will.
Damage: 2d4
Critical: 19-20/x2
Cost: 150g
Category: Light Exotic Weapon
Special: While the wielder is psionically focused, they may add their manifesting stat to damage. Additionally, they may expend their focus to make all attacks with any psionic blades for that round into touch attacks, without the benefit of adding their manifesting stat to damage.

New Item: Psionic Sword
Similar in design to the Psionic blade, this device allows a psionic user to create a more chaotically restrained blade, increasing its damage while draining more of the psi power that is used to create the blade. Thus, Psionic Swords may not be dual-wielded.
Damage: 2d6
Critical: 19-20/x3
Cost: 250g
Category: Medium Exotic Weapon
Special: While the wielder is psionically focused, they may add their manifesting stat to damage. Additionally, they may expend their focus to make all attacks with any psionic blades for that round into touch attacks, retaining the benefit of adding their manifesting stat to damage for that round.

elliott20
2007-02-12, 11:30 AM
accidental double post.

elliott20
2007-02-12, 11:31 AM
I always felt that the various protoss units could be done through what is already available out there with a slight rule twist.

A templar could just as well be a psionist. A zealot could just be any of the warrior base classes with maybe a level or two of psychic warrior thrown in. And the dark templars could just be fighter rogues with some pretty kick ass technology in place.

Also, I'm quite surprised that the protoss blade only does 1d6. But then again, since we have seen them use it in both hands, I guess it would make more sense to make it a light weapon with that damage level.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 11:35 AM
I always felt that the various protoss units could be done through what is already available out there with a slight rule twist.

A templar could just as well be a psionist. A zealot could just be any of the warrior base classes with maybe a level or two of psychic warrior thrown in. And the dark templars could just be fighter rogues with some pretty kick ass technology in place.

True, in many cases, but in reading of the books, you find that the castes are very different from each other. Judicators are almost paladin-like in their stick-up-the-rear attitude, while the Templars are generally not so bad about things, and stronger to boot. Haven't quite made a distriction between High and Dark Protoss, however... But the dark templar "cloaking" ability was natural, not technology-based. :)

Also, I'm quite surprised that the protoss blade only does 1d6. But then again, since we have seen them use it in both hands, I guess it would make more sense to make it a light weapon with that damage level.

I thought about making the dmg 2d4, but that seemed kinda silly...

elliott20
2007-02-12, 12:07 PM
hmm... well, but are they necessarily born into their differences like say, an elf would be from a dwarf? or are all protoss babies the same biologically at birth?

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 01:15 PM
hmm... well, but are they necessarily born into their differences like say, an elf would be from a dwarf? or are all protoss babies the same biologically at birth?

I would argue that they aren't quite the same at birth... For example, its early on that a Dark Templar loses their connection to the Khala. Additionally, the caste system causes quite a difference between the warrior class and the ruling class. Extreme differences. The caste system is by birth in the protoss, similar to nobles and peasants (but not quite the same stigma). A young adult (classless) in the Judicator caste wouldn't have the same physical prowess as a Templar caste Protoss.

I suppose you could argue one way or the other, really. However, the difference between high and dark protoss would stand.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 01:19 PM
Taking what was said into account, I'm going to rewrite the two races a bit... thread on hold until then :)

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 01:31 PM
Alright, opened again for review... PEACH!

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-12, 01:45 PM
Protoss do not eat (they have no mouth, duh :smalltongue:). I would suggest specifying that they feed of psionic energy only and adding some kind of telepathic communication ability while removing the ability to speak. Also, are you sure about wilder as a favored class for dark protoss? I would suggest lurk form Complete Psionic.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 01:50 PM
Protoss do not eat (they have no mouth, duh :smalltongue:). I would suggest specifying that they feed of psionic energy only and adding some kind of telepathic communication ability while removing the ability to speak. Also, are you sure about wilder as a favored class for dark protoss? I would suggest lurk form Complete Psionic.

Yeah, I was wondering about the food thing... And I forgot to put in some of the details i was thinking about the telepathy deal...

Lurk? I'll look into that.

elliott20
2007-02-12, 03:19 PM
Hmm... I suppose you could substantiate the differences between a dark protoss and a light protoss through ability score mods. I personally think that dividing castes by usage of ability score mods is kind of like dividing by virtue of say, nation. "Oh, well, Americans tend to get better nutrition, so +2 to con" that sort of thing.

You can argue it. But differences in caste, unless a truly biological one, (such as the severed connection to a certain being that will effect their development) I think could be created through the use of the proper classes.

After all, the samurai class is definitely a whole caste apart from the peasants, but last we checked, their ability scores are modded the same way.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-12, 03:27 PM
Hmm... I suppose you could substantiate the differences between a dark protoss and a light protoss through ability score mods. I personally think that dividing castes by usage of ability score mods is kind of like dividing by virtue of say, nation. "Oh, well, Americans tend to get better nutrition, so +2 to con" that sort of thing.

You can argue it. But differences in caste, unless a truly biological one, (such as the severed connection to a certain being that will effect their development) I think could be created through the use of the proper classes.

After all, the samurai class is definitely a whole caste apart from the peasants, but last we checked, their ability scores are modded the same way.

True, that's why I dropped it to only Dark vs High protoss. Of course, not many people seem to be itching to comment on it all. Probably 'cause almost nobody seems to be into psionics

Neek
2007-02-12, 09:19 PM
Psionics always stuck out like a sore thumb for me. But then again, the most I've touched was in 2nd edition.

Either way, I do have one comment (right now): When describing the Augmented movement, you say they can use this ability once per level per day for a duration equal to their level. Well. In what? In microts? In cycles? What?

elliott20
2007-02-12, 09:30 PM
I have yet to really understand psionics all that well myself. else I would be able to be of better help too.

ilovefire
2007-02-12, 10:52 PM
*Starcraft Fanboy Powers Activate!*
Protoss actually DO have mouths. Look carefully at the neck of Artanis, I think it was (the Brood War heroscout), you'll see it. Instead of giving them detect psionics, I'd just give them a telepathy range of, say, 50 feet? Maybe just 20. Also, outside of their armor, protoss are scrawny little buggers, so I'd say a racial PENALTY to CON. Say, +2 STR, -2 CON, +2 INT, -2 CHA (Protoss are strong, but without their specially made armor tend to be weak of body. They are smarter than your average psionic monkey, but they tend to view other races as less intelligent at best, beneath them entirely at worst)
with dark templar getting +2 DEX instead of +2 STR. But that's just me.
*Starcraft Fanboy Powers Deactivate!*

elliott20
2007-02-12, 11:24 PM
I'm just waiting for somebody to start writing up zerg monsters.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-12, 11:28 PM
I'm just waiting for somebody to start writing up zerg monsters.

I'd love that person forever.

elliott20
2007-02-12, 11:37 PM
well, it's raelly not that difficult. we just need to find a template to work off of and we'll have our monsters.

in fact, that's what I'll try to do tomorrow.

Gralamin
2007-02-13, 12:04 AM
Some suggestions from how I'd do it:

Protoss
- 1 extra power point a level.
- +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -4 Cha.
- Telepathy 100 feet.
- Languages: any
- Psionic Feeding: Protoss have no mouths to speak of, so they have no use for food, drink, or air. They attain the feat Greater Sustenance as a racial ability.
- LA +1

In addition, make some Racial substitution levels (like this)

Protoss Soulblade ("Zealot")
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Special
1st|+1|Way of the Khala, Psionic Blades, Weapon Focus (Psionic Blade), Two Weapon fighting
2nd|+2|Leg Enhancements
4th|+4|Will of the Khala[/table]

Way of the Khala: A Zealot has full BAB instead of three quarters.
Psionic Blades: A Zealot starts off with two Psionic blades, and is proficient with the Blades. You may not throw these blades.
Weapon focus(Psionic Blade):Gain as a bonus feat
Two Weapon Fighting: gain as a bonus feat
Leg Enhancements: You gain an extra 20 feet of movement
Will of the Khala: Your Weapons are both enhanced by the mind blade bonus, with only one blade being being one behind.

Gralamin
2007-02-13, 12:06 AM
*Starcraft Fanboy Powers Activate!*
Protoss actually DO have mouths. Look carefully at the neck of Artanis, I think it was (the Brood War heroscout), you'll see it. Instead of giving them detect psionics, I'd just give them a telepathy range of, say, 50 feet? Maybe just 20. Also, outside of their armor, protoss are scrawny little buggers, so I'd say a racial PENALTY to CON. Say, +2 STR, -2 CON, +2 INT, -2 CHA (Protoss are strong, but without their specially made armor tend to be weak of body. They are smarter than your average psionic monkey, but they tend to view other races as less intelligent at best, beneath them entirely at worst)
with dark templar getting +2 DEX instead of +2 STR. But that's just me.
*Starcraft Fanboy Powers Deactivate!*

Protoss do not have any visible mouths, noses, or ears. Two of the Protoss portraits (namely those of Aldaris and the Arbiter unit) appear to have mouths, but these "mouths" do not ever open. Though it is unknown how their senses of hearing or chemoreception operate, they are widely believed to possess such sensitivities. They can communicate telepathically with each other, especially over long distances. A Protoss' average life expectancy is several hundred years, as the Protoss Artanis, who is 262 years old, is considered young. Protoss have a psionic pulse encased in a physical body. Once that body is destroyed, the psionic pulse dissipates, flaring with a pale, blue light.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-13, 12:21 AM
must...

not...

explode...

WOW.

oh and Dragoons are mortally wounded protoss who still wish to serve... so killing one outright would take some doing.

how will shields work?

and don't forget the Zelot's Psy blades are different to the Dark Templar's Warp blades...
they can sever telepathic connections...

i need to be in research mode for this...

I would argue that they aren't quite the same at birth... For example, its early on that a Dark Templar loses their connection to the Khala. Additionally, the caste system causes quite a difference between the warrior class and the ruling class. Extreme differences. The caste system is by birth in the protoss, similar to nobles and peasants (but not quite the same stigma). A young adult (classless) in the Judicator caste wouldn't have the same physical prowess as a Templar caste Protoss.

I suppose you could argue one way or the other, really. However, the difference between high and dark protoss would stand.
Don't the Dark Templar cut the part of the brain that allows the Khala out of their brains?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 12:23 AM
A Dragoon would almost have to be a Construct type, rather like the Warforged.In the cutscenes, they're pretty big, so probably Large size. Their ranged attack is likely around the 2d4-2d6 range. It has no melee attack, but may make it's ranged attack in melee without provoking an AoO.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-13, 12:55 AM
High templars
Psionic Storm
chain lighning 1/day?
Hallucination
Simulacrum 1/day?

Archons are... problematic.
Psionic blasts are pretty powerful

But not as problematic as...
Dark Archons
Feedback
hard to translate...

Malestrom
Slow/Stun 1/day

Mind Control
potentionally game breaking...
anyone else think that we should "forget" them...

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 01:25 AM
Feedback: Opponent takes xd4 damage, where x is the number of spell levels the opponent has remaining in memory.

Mind Control: Dominate Monster, permanent.

PsiStorm: Something like Acid Fog with Lightning substituted for acid

Hallucination: Major Image, without Concentration or range requirements.

Archons: D4 hit die, but insane AC (lots of Deflection AC from their shielding). Blast does something like 3d6. Not too powerful for a Large creature's attack.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-13, 01:34 AM
Dang. It seems like this thread picked up readers AFTER I basically gave up on it.

Umm... so much. Ha. Well, I agree mostly with Gralamin about things.. though, it would be good to have a form where one didn't have to take racial sub levels.

When I wrote the movement, I meant it as number of times per day equal to class level, for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 class level.

Thus, a level 13 would have it 13/day for 6 rounds.

Yes, the dragoon would essentially be a PrC that gives construct traits to zealots, as that was the 'main' type that was fit into one (ala Fenix). It's only a thought at the moment.

Also, when I started this up, I planned to simply insert them into the Psionics realm of things. Thus, that means no shields, no tech. The dragoon as a construct PrC. But that can be modified if people give good enough reason or vote.

As to the "weak without armor" idea, I'm basically going on a comparison of a naked human (10 con/str) vs a naked protoss. Seeing as the protoss is generally larger and stronger in melee combat, I think a +2 bonus would work out for that.

Also, the dark templars DO have a dex bonus... +2 it is. With a penalty to Con due to the "feeding on the void".

And lastly.. yeah, sort of about the "cut out brain". From what I gathered, they cut off a good portion of those dreadlock-like protrusions in the back. That is the physical "limb" of their mind-collective-based khala psionic-stuff :) they still have the powers, but not the mind link.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-13, 01:40 AM
Feedback: Opponent takes xd4 damage, where x is the number of spell levels the opponent has remaining in memory.

Mind Control: Dominate Monster, permanent.

Feedback would be Too deadly... Mages get 1d4 HD per level but gain more than that spell levels (well after level 4) maybe half it...

again mind control would be TOO powerful.

BBEG: i will destroy the world
DA: *Mind control*
BBEG i will be good forever.

see.

also, does Wis or Int help Psionics? both dark and high protoss should get the bonus which helps...

not good with psi...

soal bow (i think) for the dragoon?

Holocron Coder
2007-02-13, 01:48 AM
also, does Wis or Int help Psionics? both dark and high protoss should get the bonus which helps...

not good with psi...

I believe it is Int that does, but the favored class of a dark templar would be more rogue-lurk type of deal, rather than psion.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 01:59 AM
Feedback would be Too deadly... Mages get 1d4 HD per level but gain more than that spell levels (well after level 4) maybe half it...

IIRC, it pretty much destroyed any unit with a full energy bar too, except maybe a BC. Make it 1/day, and it's pretty balanced.

BBEG What, do you think I cannot make a will save? *SMITES*

Yea, you get a will save with Dominate Monster.

not good with psi...

Soul Bow, I think is what you are aiming at... and the casting stat depends on class. Psions manifest based on Int, PsiWarriors on Wis.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-13, 06:05 AM
IIRC, it pretty much destroyed any unit with a full energy bar too, except maybe a BC. Make it 1/day, and it's pretty balanced.

BBEG What, do you think I cannot make a will save? *SMITES*

Yea, you get a will save with Dominate Monster.

actually that's about right only the BC could suvive a hit if the mana was at full... however i still see the BBE Wizard getting the feedback.

Or MC'ed... the units in SC never got a will save

Soul Bow, I think is what you are aiming at... and the casting stat depends on class. Psions manifest based on Int, PsiWarriors on Wis.
no i wanted the Dragoon to fire fish...

ok so i should probably sleep at some point...

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-13, 12:54 PM
Ok, I was going to post some additional comments here but everything seems to be covered by now. :smallsmile: I'd just like to point out the elan race in EPHB, they also do not eat and can do stuff to their bodies with their inherent psionic energy...

Inyssius Tor
2007-02-13, 01:09 PM
You probably all know it's been done before, but the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11799&highlight=Starcraft) really needs to be pointed out. It may be over two years old, but it did hit eight pages...

EDIT: It's raining, so I have nothing to do; therefore, you get this link. (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=160726)

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 04:02 PM
actually that's about right only the BC could suvive a hit if the mana was at full... however i still see the BBE Wizard getting the feedback.

That's rather the point of Feedback. It's only use is against casters. Against a charging troll barbarian, it does absolutely nothing. So don't throw BBEG casters at it.

Or MC'ed... the units in SC never got a will save
Will save is added for purposes of Game Balance. Loosing one unit in Starcraft is not game-breaking, even loosing a drone/scv and making an entirely new tech tree isn't as game breaking as some of the things you can dominate. Also, Dominate Monster has a duration, it's not permanent. Again, game balance. Or you can just say that the duration of MC was longer than any given battle, but not necessarily infinite.[/quote]

mikeejimbo
2007-02-14, 12:12 AM
This should obviously be taken with the Zerg and Terran threads for all its StarCraft-y goodness.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-14, 12:35 PM
Changed the Dark Protoss favored class to Lurk, changed their movement to 30ft, and fixed the augmented movement racial ability of the High Protoss.

Still have no idea on level adjustments here :)

Holocron Coder
2007-02-14, 03:45 PM
Edited to add fluff content and minor editing. Tell me what you guys think :) Please? This thread is just sticking to the races for the moment.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-15, 01:40 PM
I don't know if this is exactly the place, but...

How would you do the Archons?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 01:52 PM
I say Protoss should have a penalty to Con. Physically, they aren't too hardy. In fact, they have the least hps around, they just have the extra shielding.
Most of the durability of the protoss units is the powered armor or whatever.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 01:53 PM
Hmmm.. my bet on the whole Archon thing would be along this line:

Character has to take full levels in a "High Templar" prestige class. Of course, this means both characters will have this. The merging essentially removes ALL spellcasting abilities, and perhaps uses some formula of powers lost to calculate the dmg of their psionic blast.

Basically, it shouldn't be doable by PCs. It's way too powerful.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 02:11 PM
I say Protoss should have a penalty to Con. Physically, they aren't too hardy. In fact, they have the least hps around, they just have the extra shielding.

Well, these two races are built to work in the DnD world, thus, no shields. So I took a bit of creative license to assume that a warrior race has decent health.

Additionally, I just looked it up. Zealots had 80 base health under their shields, while marines had a grand total of 40. Part of this is probably class levels, but I can't help that think a tall, warrior race would be healthier than your average human :P

arnoldrew
2007-02-15, 03:27 PM
You should make the Psionic sword do 1d12 damge. First of all, it has an extended crit range AND multiplier, so losing .5 points of average damage isn't gonna hurt it so much. But mainly because I feel sorry for the poor little d12. That's why if I ever got to play D&D I would definitely play a Barbarian with a greataxe.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 03:49 PM
You should make the Psionic sword do 1d12 damge. First of all, it has an extended crit range AND multiplier, so losing .5 points of average damage isn't gonna hurt it so much. But mainly because I feel sorry for the poor little d12. That's why if I ever got to play D&D I would definitely play a Barbarian with a greataxe.

Yeah... the poor d12, picked on by all its friends. Ahem. Well, the Psionic Sword also can't be dual-wielded.. and generally the Psionic Blades WOULD be.

Thus, supposing all attacks hit and dual-wielding Psionic Blades...

2 attacks of 2d4+1 and 1 attack of 2d4 (assuming base stats of protoss)
= avg of 9.5 dmg * (1 + (.1 * 2)) for crit
= 11.4

As opposed to

2 attacks of 2d6+1
= avg of 8 dmg * (1 + (.15 * 3)) for crit
= 11.6

Almost even, it seems... And the Psionic Sword costs more than 2 Psionic Blades :)

Alternately, if it was a d12...

1 attack of 1d12+1
= avg of 7.5 dmg * (1 + (.15 * 3)) for crit
= 10.875

And even less if it was a lower crit chance or bonus. Sadly, 2d6 is better than a 1d12 :(

I believe I did my math right... >.< I can't think very well at the moment for some reason. Basically its avg_dmg * (1 + (crit_chance * crit_mod)) to calculate dmg.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-15, 05:03 PM
I've got it! Just make it do 1d12 + 0.725 damage, then the averages should be even.

Gralamin
2007-02-15, 08:21 PM

Zealot: 100 hp
Marine: 40 hp
Zergling: 35 hp

care to rethink that statement?

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 08:28 PM
Zealot: 100 hp
Marine: 40 hp
Zergling: 35 hp

care to rethink that statement?

Yeah, I pointed that out up there, although I didn't look up the 'ling :)

So, does anyone else have any comments? is the LA alright?

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-15, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Zealots were right up there with Ultralisks when it came to hard-core melee goodness, and if you have a shield battery nearby they were still somewhat useful as meatshields even when the tech tree moved up a bit.

In any case, we need to start making classes for the races to take. Namely we need the Zealot, High Templar and Dark Templar (The latter two which should probably be renamed). Zealot can be based loosely on the Fighter or any other generic warrior class, and the Dark Templar would work well if based off a Ninja or Rogue, maybe even the Engetsu Shinobi, sans magic. The High Templar requires a bit more work, since it's abilities are powerful, but limited and quite specific in their use.

A good chunk of other units would better serve as vehicles to be piloted, with specific skills for each one. Anyone around here have enough experience in d20 future to do this, or get the momentum going?

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 08:41 PM
As it stands, a Zealot would simply be a fighter with TWF focus.

High and Dark Templars are the ones that would need to be stat-ed up. According to the flavor, High Templars are simply warriors that reached veteran status and opted for a more psionic-bend to their fighting. This would suggest prestige class, either 5 or 10 levels. It would focus around the abilities of the High Templar in-game, such as Hallucination (Illusions without concentrations?) and Psionic Storm (some cross of a thunderstorm and psionics), with possibly Tassadar's Psi Blast ability (simple upgrading the psion spell of the name).

Dark Templar doesn't mention much in the way of flavor, so it could be either a base or prestige. I'd lean toward a prestige class, similar to High Templar. The "base" class of a standard Dark Protoss would be either Lurk, Rogue, or Fighter, I imagine (or Psion...). Dark Templar would give additional bonuses to the rogue-like abilities.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 09:05 PM
As it stands, a Zealot would simply be a fighter with TWF focus.

High and Dark Templars are the ones that would need to be stat-ed up. According to the flavor, High Templars are simply warriors that reached veteran status and opted for a more psionic-bend to their fighting. This would suggest prestige class, either 5 or 10 levels. It would focus around the abilities of the High Templar in-game, such as Hallucination (Illusions without concentrations?) and Psionic Storm (some cross of a thunderstorm and psionics), with possibly Tassadar's Psi Blast ability (simple upgrading the psion spell of the name).
Agreed. Make it a 10 level PrC, with the capstone ability being Tassadar's Psi Blast (at will, without PP cost).

Dark Templar doesn't mention much in the way of flavor, so it could be either a base or prestige. I'd lean toward a prestige class, similar to High Templar. The "base" class of a standard Dark Protoss would be either Lurk, Rogue, or Fighter, I imagine (or Psion...). Dark Templar would give additional bonuses to the rogue-like abilities.

I'd say that Dark Templar is a completely different base class. They start out with innate invisibility, a psi-blade, and get more powerful as they progress. D6 hit die (since they're so crunchy), full BAB, and very ouchie weapon.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 09:08 PM
Sounds do-able. I'll try stat-ing that up once I get the time. Meaning tomorrow or this weekend.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-02-15, 09:56 PM
I'd make Protoss be Large-sized, actually. Three meters is almost ten feet, and generally the cutoff for medium/large is 8 feet.

Also, all Protoss (Zealot, HT, DT; everything else is a robot, vehicle, or energy being) take two "slots" in a shuttle, the same as a Vulture does, and the Vulture has that big, heavy vehicle (possibly about horse-sized).

I think a High Templar prestige class should probably be a full manifester, as Psion, probably with the ability to trade previous levels for more manifesting; we can intregrate Hallucination and Psionic Storm as powers.

I don't think Archons should need to be made of 10th level Templar. I'd probably just give it as a class feature before then (possibly at 1st level; you can do the Archon Meld with two templar without any researches, but you need to research everything else). I'm not entirely sure whether it should be a template or a monster; I'd lean toward monster (Probably Elemental-type; since it's made of one thing; it's a "psi-elemental"), with more powerful templar possibly advancing its hit dice on creation.

Shields can be done as a second set of HP. I wouldn't handle them with AC, since that would mean that one good area attack (or Magic Missile) and the Archon is history (whereas in SC you just needed the shield-dropper tricks). Probably make it a protoss-only feat, or raise the LA, or give them RHD; regardless, these would just be HP that are lost before normal HP and that the Protoss has Fast Healing 1 for.

Also, for the Dark Archon, remember that Feedback dropped the target unit's energy to zero when used. I probably wouldn't make it so powerful in D&D (Mage, you lose all of your spell slots. Also, you die); perhaps make it burn a certain amount of PP, converting spell slots into PP equivalents (and taking from random levels as needed), with a save to reduce how much (either damage or both slots burned and damage).

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 10:07 PM
Dang.. yeah, the 3 meters would make them "large" (tall) creatures... dang, I was hoping to avoid that.

O well, restating :)

Karma Guard
2007-02-16, 02:00 AM
must...
Don't the Dark Templar cut the part of the brain that allows the Khala out of their brains?

Dark Templar cut off their hair to cut themselves off from the species-wide psychic communications-net...thingy. The hair isn't hair at all, but works like radio antenna; that's how they receive and send their telepathy.

The Khala's their philosophy and the mental connection that all not-Dark Templar Protoss share.

Crunchwise, the stat distribution's strange. Why do the High Protoss get smacked with a -4 Cha, while the Dark Protoss only get -2? The fact that both of them have +2 Str but the Dark Templar get +2 Dex and -2 Con while the High get only +2 Con is a little confusing too.

I'm not good at balancing races, though. :I

Holocron Coder
2007-02-16, 06:08 AM
Basicall, the -4/-2 Cha difference is for flavor and balance. The high protoss are almost stupid in their "we're better" attitude overall, while the dark templar are simply secretive, but don't view themselves as "better", which has always been a -2 penalty.

The Con/Dex difference is similar. High protoss are more of a raging meatshield in battle, where the dark protoss lean towards stealth, accuracy, and grace.

The Int/Wis difference is basically High Protoss being very intelligent, whereas Dark Protoss are more worldly and less likely to rush into things.

The Dark Protoss get a -2 to Con to balance out that they only have a -4 to Cha, really

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-16, 06:37 AM
I rather saw the Zealot's HP be mostly because of the powered armor, which is far sturdier than anything the Terrans can come up with. High Templars have crap hit points, after all. If anything, I'd remove the Protoss Con bonus.

Solaris
2007-02-23, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Zealots were right up there with Ultralisks when it came to hard-core melee goodness, and if you have a shield battery nearby they were still somewhat useful as meatshields even when the tech tree moved up a bit.

In any case, we need to start making classes for the races to take. Namely we need the Zealot, High Templar and Dark Templar (The latter two which should probably be renamed). Zealot can be based loosely on the Fighter or any other generic warrior class, and the Dark Templar would work well if based off a Ninja or Rogue, maybe even the Engetsu Shinobi, sans magic. The High Templar requires a bit more work, since it's abilities are powerful, but limited and quite specific in their use.

A good chunk of other units would better serve as vehicles to be piloted, with specific skills for each one. Anyone around here have enough experience in d20 future to do this, or get the momentum going?

You're lookin' at a quadrupedal Huge or Gargantuan mecha with a Crackerjack neural link and some kinda plasma cannon for a Dragoon. Write up rules for the shields (hint: Star Wars) and slap that bad boy on the 'Goon. If you're wanting to stick with the 'Goon being a cyborg, check out this:

Cyborg Hybrid
The recipient’s meat body is replaced with a robotic body made of metal.
Benefit: Strength and Dexterity scores are based off of the body (baselines of 12 and 10 for a Medium cyborg hybrid, respectively), and those can be upgraded like robot stats. Constitution goes down by four points, but vitality points are now drawn from Charisma. Fortitude saves, Concentration checks, and other things drawn from Constitution are unchanged. The recipient now has hit points like a robot instead of wound points like a human and has the hardness of its metal structure. Speed is determined through use of a robotic locomotion system. All of these stats can be upgraded - even the manipulators can get weapon gadgets and the body can get higher hardness or more hit points as detailed below. It uses robotic sensors (it has to - the sensory organs are gone), get integrated robotic armor, use most robotic accessories - basically, the recipient gives up most of his squishiness to use robot stuff and still use cybernetics. The only robotic equipment the recipient can't use are skill and feat software. The cyborg hybrid comes with a Vegan 5 Minireactor to handle those pesky food requirements. The recipient now requires repair, much like a construct, to recover its hit points - an hour's worth of work and a DC 20 Repair check restores 1d10 hit points.
Think Cyborg Hybrid, like General Grievous. There's no reason it should suck like the total body cyborg does in d20 Cyberscape. The only meat left is the recipient’s brain and spinal cord, locked inside a sealed storage compartment with a fairly reliable life-support system. The central nervous system is kept alive by means of an artificial circulatory system that uses a small pump to cycle a solution of salt water and hemoglobin around the brain and spinal column, to any attached wetware, and through a gas-exchange system. The recipient is immune to all poisons save inhaled poisons, and the life-support system keeps his brain and spine alive for eight hours after his cybernetic body's destruction. He cannot eat, but he does require a liter of water a week to satisfy his brain's requirements. Additionally, the cyborg hybrid recipient needs eight hours of rest in a twenty-four hour period. Every twenty-four hours he does not rest and recharge his batteries applies a -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks until he rests for eight hours. This rest need not be continuous to recharge the body adequately, but recovering vitality points requires the same rest as a meat recipient does.
Increasing the size from Medium increases the purchase DC by +8 for each size increase. See the table about increasing sizes in the MSRD Creature Overview (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/msrdcreatureoverview.rtf) document for the modifiers from this. The Constitution score does not increase, however. Only the metal parts are scaled up; the meat remains the same size. A Medium cyborg hybrid has the 10 hit points listed below and two slam attacks that deal 1d6 bludgeoning damage, while a Large cyborg hybrid has 20 hit points and two slam attacks that deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage, a Huge cyborg hybrid has 40 hit points and two slam attacks that deal 2d6 bludgeoning damage, a Gargantuan cyborg hybrid has 80 hit points and two slam attacks that deal 2d8 bludgeoning damage, and a Colossal cyborg hybrid has 120 hit points and two slam attacks that deal 4d6 bludgeoning damage.
Some may wish to go the opposite route and decrease their size with the cyborg hybrid. A Small cyborg hybrid increases the base purchase DC by +4. It has 5 hit points, and its Strength score decreases by 2 points while its Dexterity score increases by 4 points. The Small cyborg hybrid has two slam attacks that deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage.
A cyborg hybrid can also increase its hit points by including more redundancy and durability in its frame. Each increase of the cyborg hybrid's hit points by +10 increases its purchase DC by +1. The cyborg hybrid can also gain the Sturdy gadget; most cyborg hybrids of Large or larger size take that instead.
Small and Medium cyborg hybrids can have only two arms. Large cyborg hybrids can have up to four arms, and Huge and larger cyborg hybrids can have up to eight. Each arm must be equipped with a manipulator, and every pair of arms after the first increases the purchase DC by +2 in addition to the price of the manipulators. The recipient has only one primary hand, and the rest are off-hands. If the recipient uses the manipulators as natural weapons or has weapons integrated into the arms, one is treated as a primary weapon while all of the others are treated as secondary weapons. Having multiple arms allows the recipient to gain the Multiattack and Multiweapon Fighting feats. Additionally, having more than two arms grants a +4 bonus on Climb and grapple checks. The manipulators can receive weapon gadgets as appropriate, such as the stun or concussive weapon gadgets for a hand or a high frequency gadget for a claw. The electrified gadget is a particular favorite.
The cyborg hybrid normally comes with a duralloy structure. This grants it a hardness of 15. By increasing the base purchase DC by +4, the cyborg hybrid can get a neovulcanium structure with a hardness of 20. If it increases the base purchase DC by +6, the cyborg hybrid can get a neutronite structure with a hardness of 25. A cyborg hybrid with a neutronite structure is also much denser and gains a +4 bonus to checks related to stability. The toughest structure available, cerametal, requires increasing the base purchase DC by +8 to get a hardness of 30.
The cyborg hybrid's speed is determined through the use of a robot locomotion system. This is done after its size and structure are determined, as those are the only two things which affect the base purchase DC. It can mount multiple locomotion systems provided they are compatible - such as having a pair of legs and a thruster. Generally speaking, a cyborg hybrid can have only one system for moving on the ground, one for moving through the air, and one for moving in the water - but most only have just the one system for moving on the ground.
Type: External.
Hardness/Hit Points: 15/10.
Base Purchase DC: 32.
Restriction: Res (+2).
I put it together for my d20 system game. You could either make the 'Goon itself the cyborg body or you could make the cyborg body a plug-in gadgetthingie that hooks up to the Dragoon.
As for the technological aspects? Simply replace 'technology' with 'psionic item' and you're good.

GammaPaladin
2008-02-29, 02:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to say... If I were DMing and a player came to me with these races, I'd be telling him to try LA+3 or so. They're just too strong to be +1.

Also, I'd say Zealots are Soulknives, not PsyWars ;)

HarmlessPenguin
2008-02-29, 03:55 AM
I rather saw the Zealot's HP be mostly because of the powered armor, which is far sturdier than anything the Terrans can come up with. High Templars have crap hit points, after all. If anything, I'd remove the Protoss Con bonus.

The High Templar are indeed in robes, but they still have 40/40 of shields/health compared to a Marine who is in powered armor who only has 40 health, Protoss are sturdier.

Also, I just want to point out that you gave High Templar Psy Warrior as their favored class, but they have a bonus to Int rather than Wis, perhaps it should be Psion?

Also, have you considered the Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) instead of the Lurk as the Dark Templar favored class? Then again, that class is based off Int instead of Wis, to which they get a bonus...problematic =P.

Khanderas
2008-03-04, 08:52 AM

see.

not good with psi...

A dark archon is created from the SACRIFICE of two psionic beings with a lifespan rivaling elves. Any templar have also considerably training with psionic power (infact it is a core part of any Protoss very being).
How long does an archon (light or dark) live ? I read somewhere that they dont last long (a few months) making the sacrifice something only done in dire situations. So a Huge ball of red (or blue) psionic energy should be immensly powerful, burning the lifeforce of two protoss souls that could otherwise live a millenia more.

Feedback: Active buffs are dispelled, does 1d4 backlash damage per spell level (haste, being a 3rd level spell therefore does 3d4 damage). Multiple buffs stack for this. Possible a will for half. The target gets stunned for one round from the pain and disorientation. (Normal dispels just ends the duration, allowing spells to end "normally". Feedback takes the energy and overloads it, very different.)

Very powerful yes, but a PC going for a Archon, have to face he will die in a month or two no matter what and he needs one more will.

Mal666
2008-03-04, 12:08 PM
i think shields should bedoable actually...

you've already given them a PSI pool and the augment move function, why not add

"as a swift action: At a cost of two power points the <insert protoss here> may errect a forcefield as the spell False Life. His caster level for this power is equal to his class levels +5"

means the 'toss can effectively regen their shields by spending vast ammounts of power, and they last a while, so can be brought up as soon as the protoss awakens for the day...

yey/nay? (somone reword it so its in vague english please... i'm tired.)

DrizztFan24
2008-03-06, 01:41 PM
I would suggest that the Dragoon be a 10 level PrC with an entry requirement similar to those of the Blood Magus (comp. arcane). The nearly destroyed protoss was transferred to a metallic shell to still cary out their duty.

Zakama
2008-03-06, 03:03 PM
*psst*

Protoss feed on sunlight, or moonlight in a pinch, as it's really just sunlight.

Darkkwalker
2008-03-06, 03:51 PM
Pro Tip: Protoss = perfect in body. Zerg = perfect in essence.

The races should reflect that.

Also, Goliaths always struck me as being protoss like. height wise. so, just give them powerful build??? not sure if that's what it is or not. did notice DT's have it. And if you feel like it, give them reach. but I think they should be medium size.

That's my 2 cents.