PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Fey

AKA_Bait
2007-02-12, 11:48 AM
Hey folks. I was looking for some suggestions. I'm creating a fey court for a game I'm running and I'm looking for some unusual fey, not MM, to hold positions on it. Any alignment and CR is ok. Any suggestions, preferably with where I can find it, or links to homebrewed ones would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-12, 12:00 PM
Dusklings, Magic of Incarnum
Verdant Prince, MMIV
Ekahapana (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Ekahapana), mine.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-12, 12:04 PM
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26636&page=5) is a nice high-CR evil fey I made.

Officially, there are the Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) from the Underdark book.

Scorpina
2007-02-12, 12:09 PM
Joystealer, from MMIV is cool.

The Half-Fey Template from the Fiend Folio can make for some interesting things. Definately good for Unseelie.

Speaking of which: The Unseelie Nymph (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020112a)

And also, a little shameless self-promotion, Morrigan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10886)

Thomas
2007-02-12, 12:23 PM
Grey jester, Heroes of Horror.

Any of the countless evil fey (like the Arak) from the 3rd ed. Ravenloft books.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-12, 12:28 PM
I always had a thing for the Petals from MM3. Haven't found a proper excuse to use them yet, though.

Ragewalkers (from MM3 as well) are also pretty interesting.

For a faerie court, the Thorn (guess which book again :smalltongue:) is an obvious choice.

Also from MM3, there's the Glaistig and Redcap. They might work. The Splinterwaif and Shimmerling (Swarm), while interesting, might be difficult to fit in the setting you want.

I'd like to suggest something from Dragon magazine, but I can't think of anything specific right now. :smallfrown:

Quietus
2007-02-12, 12:34 PM
Oooohhh... I like that Unseelie Nymph.

I'm running a fey-centric campaign right now on an IRC thing once a week, I've got a couple of critters that I made specifically for that; They're low-CR though, and based off of animals. I've got one set of butterflies with sleep inducing poison, and some monkeys that can throw fire, both specifically meant as something come from the Unseelie courts as things for the Unseelie Lords to hunt. If you're running a low-level thing, I'll gladly put the stats up for you.

silentknight
2007-02-12, 01:25 PM
It probably won't fit in with the court setting...
Ocean strider from MM2 is a fey.

Twisted.Fate
2007-02-12, 07:24 PM
Well, my Sylenti are more desert-centered than anything else, but here they are anyway *points to sig*

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-02-12, 07:57 PM
Wendigo's are a great Fey [Cold] enemy. get 5 or 6 of those bad arses with some class levels =_)

Stormcrow
2007-02-12, 08:11 PM
Centaurs that have Horse Heads and Human Bodies.

The_Snark
2007-02-12, 08:17 PM
The Epic-level handbook's Hoary Hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hoaryHunter.htm) is a nice one. Since that doesn't include any flavor text, it's a type of fey that rides out on frosty nights to steal away mortals and take them back to the Unseelie Court. Kinda high in CR, though.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-12, 08:25 PM
Bog Imps (Heroes of Horror) are a classic, but not good for anywhere other than, well, bogs.

cupkeyk
2007-02-12, 08:53 PM
Thorns are and Roses technically are a court, they serve as the bodyguards of nymphs and dryads.

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-12, 08:59 PM
Bog Imps (Heroes of Horror) are a classic, but not good for anywhere other than, well, bogs.I think you've underestimated the power and speed of the imp's muck-crusted claws.

Quietus
2007-02-12, 09:02 PM
Thorns are and Roses technically are a court, they serve as the bodyguards of nymphs and dryads.

Eh? Where's this from? Sounds like it could have something that I could draw inspiration for my current game from.

Thomas
2007-02-13, 01:01 AM
I think cupkeyk means thorns and petals, from MM3. Petals are a must - the tiny, classical faeries.

cupkeyk
2007-02-13, 02:17 AM
And I have bad grammar too, thanks Thomas, petals is right. According to the flavor text, thorns are like fey knights who acts as Nymph's and Dryads guards and go on missions where a Nymph or Dryad may not go because she may not leave her tree or body of water. Petals are tiny petal winged things that sing and put you to sleep, the more they are the harder the DC. The typical adventuring Thorn has a few Petals along to aid him.

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-13, 03:52 AM
I want to second the suggestion of a Ragewalker. They might not suit your fey court idea, but they are extremely cool. In fact, they probably wouldn't be seen dead in a peace-loving fey court!

Quietus
2007-02-13, 03:54 AM
Do the Unseelie really worry about peace so much?

Jack Mann
2007-02-13, 03:57 AM
Yes. Indeed, many people are much more peaceful after encountering them. This is accomplished by stopping their excitable hearts, one of many mortal flaws.

cupkeyk
2007-02-13, 06:58 AM
The unseelie and seelie courts are not so much good and evil as they are the Crane and the Scorpion of Rokugan. Both factions are not averse to violence but they just believe that a correct whisper in the right ear is worth a thousand soldiers on the field.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-13, 07:33 AM
Shadar-Kai, Shadar-Kai! Seriously, the most badass fey in existence. See Fiend Folio.

Thomas
2007-02-13, 09:39 AM
They're just wimpy knock-offs of Ravenloft's Arak fey.

AKA_Bait
2007-02-13, 10:36 AM
Great! You all have been really helpful. Keep them coming! Especially homebrews if you know of them. My players have most of the suppliments so it's always nice to throw stuff at them they have no clue about.

Oh, also, I'm not setting up this court as seelie or unseelie. It's just one court. It houses both good and evil fey. I think I'll be using the Prince of Air and Darkness (Thanks Bears!) for the evil/winter side of the court. I haven't decided on the good/summer counterpart yet. I need something really strong. The PC's are NOT supposed to even think they can take down either side of the court given their current level (6).

The rest of the fey will fill out the more minor nobility on either side. Nymphs v. Morrigans for example (Thanks Scorpina!) with Thorns and Redcaps acting as soldiers/guards for their respective sides. Suggestions still welcome!

Fax Celestis
2007-02-13, 11:48 AM
I think you've underestimated the power and speed of the imp's muck-crusted claws.

"Ach, Hans, run! Tis the Llurgohyf!"

Gamebird
2007-02-13, 11:55 AM
FAIRY (also spelled Faerie)

Diminutive Fey
Hit Dice:
1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative:
+5
Speed:
5 ft (1 square), fly 40 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class:
19 (+4 size, +5 Dex), touch 19, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
+0/–17
Attack:

Full Attack:

Space/Reach:
1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:

Special Qualities:
Low-light vision, Endure Elements, spell-like abilities
Saves:
Fort +0, Ref +7, Will +1
Abilities:
Str 1, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 10
Skills:
Hide +17, Knowledge Nature +0, Listen +6, Search +2, Spot +6
Feats:
Alertness
Environment:
Temperate forests
Organization:
Solitary or swarm (10-1000)
Challenge Rating:

Treasure:

Alignment:
Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement:
By character class

Fairies are diminutive fey in the shape of winged humanoids. They look very much like pixies with diaphanous insect wings (though some have more colorful butterfly wings). They weigh about an ounce and are 2-3 inches tall. They are usually naked and very silly. They don’t have a lot in the way of conversation skills and aren’t self-aware to the same degree as most creatures. Other fey frequently eat them, something that rarely bothers fairies much.
Fairies live 1-5 years assuming they do not die of violence before then. They are born out of the magic of fey glades, hatching out of the fruit of dryad’s trees. They sleep in flowers, nut hulls or under leaves. They drink dew and nectar and eat insects, meat and a few types of fungus. When they are not eating or sleeping, they spend their time cavorting, teasing one another and taunting other creatures. Among the useful services they perform are alerting others of intruders, pollinating flowers, and eating non-beneficial insects.
Combat
Fairies have no effective combat skills. On a confirmed critical hit, using a weapon sized for them, they can do one point of damage. Those fairies who style themselves as warriors exchange Alertness for Weapon Finesse and have a +10 to hit with a magical fairy blade which does 1 point of damage on a successful hit. Such a blade has to be made for them. A few exist in the established fey glades and are handed down from fairy to fairy.
Endure Elements: Fairies are unaffected by normal temperature extremes, despite their naked and delicate appearance.
Spell-Like Abilities: One fairy out of ten or twenty will be able to craft and use a special wand that allows them to conjure certain magical effects: at will—faerie fire, 3/day—glitterdust (DC 12), levitate, pyrotechnics (DC 12), silent image, ventriloquism (DC 11). Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based. A fairy deprived of their wand cannot cast spells until the craft a new one, a process that takes one full day. The wand does not function for anyone but the fairy who made it.
Skills: Fairies have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

HARMONY FROG

Diminutive Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
1/5 d10 (1 hp)
Initiative:
+1
Speed:
10 ft. (2 squares), swim 10 ft.
Armor Class:
16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
+0/–17
Attack:

Full Attack:

Space/Reach:
1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:

Special Qualities:
Amphibious, low-light vision
Saves:
Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities:
Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills:
Hide +18, Jump +12, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +10
Feats:
Alertness
Environment:
Temperate marshes
Organization:
Swarm (10–100)
Challenge Rating:
1/10
Treasure:

Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:

Harmony frogs are not significantly different from normal frogs. Close examination reveals a light blue belly and blue and green markings on their back, which is a different pattern than local frog species.
Combat
Harmony frogs have no effective attacks. When danger approaches, they try to distract it with their harmonic chirp ability. The next round, all participating frogs leap off in different directions and hide.
Harmonic Chirp (Su): Whenever a harmony frog perceives a danger, it will stop and peep an alarm. The following round, all harmony frogs within 30’ will begin to chirp in unison, creating a magical effect. All creatures (other than harmony frogs) within 30’ of a participating harmony frog must make a Will save or be fascinated. The DC of the save is 10+1 per frog participating. If its saving throw fails, the creature stops and quietly listens to the frogs, taking no other actions, for as long as the frogs continue to chirp and one round thereafter. While fascinated, a target takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. Fascinate is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.
Leap (Ex): Three times per day, a harmony frog can make a great leap as a free action. They roll their Jump skill for long jump and move twice the number of feet achieved on the roll. For example, a harmony frog rolls a 11 on the d20 and adds 12 for the modifier. Their result is 23. They leap 46 feet. The round of the leap and the next round, the harmony frog cannot move more than 5’ (usually they spend the round of the leap hiding in their new location).
Skills: A frog’s coloration gives it a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. They also receive a +8 racial bonus to Jump and Swim checks and use their Dexterity modifier to Swim checks instead of Strength.

spinningdice
2007-02-13, 11:55 AM
I don't really do D&D much any more, but there's a couple of nice ones in the Iron Kingdoms Monsternomicon...

Russalka, Cask Imps, Gristle and Flay, I think there's one or two more but can't think what at the moment.

Piccamo
2007-02-13, 12:07 PM
I home brewed a fey-like hobgoblin found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31707. If you don't want to call it a hobgoblin, feel free to rename it.

Quietus
2007-02-13, 07:26 PM
Well, here's a couple of my homebrewed creatures - I haven't worked out CR's for them yet, unfortunately. Looking over them, I'm thinking 1/3 CR for the larval forms, and CR1 for the moths. Also, if anyone's got suggestions as to balance issues for them, let me know.

Sleep moth, Larval form – Tiny Fey
Hit Dice : 1D6 (3 HP)
Initiative : +0
Speed : 10 feet, climb 10 feet
Armor class : 14 (+2 size, +2 natural)
Base attack/grapple : +0/-9
Attack : +2 ranged (1d4, acid spit)
Full attack : +2 ranged (1d4, acid spit)
Space/reach : 2 1/2 feet/--
Special attacks : Breath weapon (10 foot cone of poison, 1d2 dex/1d2 dex, fort DC 12)
Special qualities : Slime
Saves : Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities : Strength 8, Dexterity 11, Constitution 10, Intelligence 3, Wisdom 12, Charisma 8
Skills : Jump +3, Climb +7, Hide +12, Move Silently +4, Spot +5, Listen +5
Feats : Ability focus (Breath weapon)

Corrosive slime : A Sleep Moth in larval form secretes a corrosive slime as it moves, leaving behind a slick trail (treat as a Grease spell).

Description : These small creatures look like fat caterpillars, the size of a cat. Bright bands of color wrap around their body, alternating in flamboyant hues of green, yellow, and red. As they move, they leave a thin, slimy trail behind them, that is only visible when the light catches it.

Sleep moth, Moth form – Tiny Fey
Hit dice : 1/2 d6 (2 HP)
Initiative : +3
Speed : Fly 30 feet (perfect)
Armor class : 15 (+2 size, +3 dex)
Base attack/grapple : +0/-11
Attack : +5 ranged (Acid spit, 1d4)
Full attack : +5 ranged (Acid spit, 1d4)
Space/reach : 2 1/2 feet / --
Special attacks : Sleep powder
Special qualities : Drone
Saves : Fortitude +0, Reflex +5, Will +3
Abilities : Strength 5, Dexterity 17, Constitution 10, Intelligence 4, Wisdom 12, Charisma 14
Skills : Spot +5, Listen +5, Hide +15, Move Silently +7
Feats : Ability focus (Sleep Powder)

Sleep Powder : Poison, fort DC 12, initial damage unconsciousness (10 rounds), secondary damage unconsciousness (8 hours). A person who successfully saves against the initial damage is immune to the sleep powder of all Sleep Moths for 24 hours. Someone affected by the initial damage may be woken via violent shaking (a standard action); This does not grant them immunity to further sleep powder effects.
Drone – When 10 or more Sleep Moths gather in one area, they generate a magical effect that duplicates the Daze spell. DC is equal to 13 + 1 for every additional 10 Sleep Moths in the area. A Sleep Moth cannot move silently when participating in a Drone. A successful save against the Sleep Moth’s drone renders the individual immune to the effects of a Drone for 24 hours.

Description : A low thrumming sound attracts your attention, pulling your gaze upwards. Above you, you can see a large moth-like creature, it’s pink body as large as a cat. It’s wings are semi-transparent, and colored brightly in shades of green, yellow and red.

Gamebird
2007-02-14, 11:17 AM
Things I'd think would be necessary for a full description of the Sleep Moths - do they talk? Do they have a society? Do the adults protect the larval forms? What do they eat? Can they be eaten and by what? Do they have a preferred alignment?

Quietus
2007-02-14, 02:28 PM
True... that's all things I took for granted when I made them, as *I* know what their habits are, although most don't.

I don't know the full reproductive cycle, as that's never really been an important thing for me. However, I do know that it circulates around the full moon, in some way. They generally reside on the plane that my world has reserved for the Unseelie Courts (in the world that these guys are in, there's two planes that exist alongside each other, with a curtain in between them - these are the Seelie and Unseelie planes, and it's difficult to get through the curtain between them). They're frequently hunted by the Unseelie native to their plane, mostly for kicks - the Unseelie tend to ignore the larval forms, as there's nothing exciting about hunting something that weak, but the low-level Unseelie enjoy hunting the moth forms.

Both forms eat meat, sort of - they melt down a meaty target with their acid spit, then drink the goo that's left.

The larval forms tend to get to a hiding place as quickly as they can, then hide - they only ever come out when there's food nearby, and when they do, they come out in large groups, to better have a chance of taking down their target. A single human-sized creature can provide food for a dozen of these creatures, in either form. The larva prefer dark, hidden places (I have a Kender in my world that ran into some when he decided to go underneath one of the taverns), and when they can, if they need to hunt, they do so at night.

The adults have the same eating habits, though it's easier for them; They use their sleep powder primarily, and if their targets don't fall unconscious, they ignore them, unless they're extremely hungry. If they can make a target fail its second saving throw, the target remains asleep and the sleep moth can freely melt it down and eat it.

They don't really have a society; They're barely above animal intelligence. When they gather in groups, they do tend to play, but it's rare for most people to see that. Their play, if it weren't so simplistic (due to low intelligence) would likely be considered mischevious - but since they have limited cognitive abilities, it mostly comes down to "dancing" in flight and showing off in general - though they'll use their sleep powder on anything they see, regardless of whether they're hungry or not.

As for being eaten, the larval forms are frequently eaten by natural predators in the forests they normally live in on the Unseelie plane. The butterflies are sometimes cooked as a delicacy, and they make an extremely sweet meal - though if they aren't prepared properly, their sleep powder may affect those to whom they're being offered as food. For this reason, it's rare that they're eaten; Time spent unconscious is time better spent revelling.

The poison cloud of the larval form and the sleep powder of the adult form both smell of rose petals - a weak smell, for the larval form, but the scent of the adult's sleep powder is very noticeable. Of course, once you smell it, you've inhaled the poison, so it could be too late to do anything with that knowledge.

The larval forms tend toward True Neutrality, usually acting only on instinct, with barely enough intelligence to recognize the benefit of many attacking one. The adults are more Chaotic than their larva, but remain neutral on the good-evil axis. Both forms speak a very simple kind of Sylvan, enough to get simple concepts across (fear, hunger, enjoyment, etc), but nothing too in-depth.

::Edit:: Holy crap, that was longer than expected.

Gamebird
2007-02-14, 02:43 PM
Int 7 is not "barely above animal intelligence". It's more common than INT 16 and more than three times what animals get. Animals can have societies - baboon tribes, wolf packs, horse herds and lion prides. It's smarter than the average ogre, and they are tool users, possess their own language, are self-governing, have their own gods, build their own homes and so on, even if their hygiene and grasp of tactics isn't all that good.

If you want them to be that dumb, then I'd suggest downgrading their INT to 3 or 4.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-14, 02:48 PM
There are some extra fey on WotC's site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040828a).

Quietus
2007-02-14, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I thought about that while I was typing all that up, Gamebird - I think I'ma go back and do that now.

::Edit:: there... also, I was thinking of creating another version - one that's more intelligent, with spell-like abilities. I doubt my PC's would run into any of those, however, because I figured it'd take at least a month for the moths to go from moth form, then wrap a cocoon around themselves and emerge later in a near-humanoid form.

Also, just for argument's sake, I can also see some Unseelie lords having a number of the moths kept captive, and they let them fly about during important meals and things. The moths are actually quite beautiful, and I can imagine that they would be highly amused by seeing the lords and ladies around them randomly falling asleep.

Fhaolan
2007-02-14, 03:08 PM
I have this book: http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Age-Little-People-Fairies/dp/1932091068

Haven't had a chance to use any of the stuff in it yet, though.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 03:14 PM
Nice - what kind of stuff is in it? On a 1-10 scale, how would you rate it? I love the fey, and I'd love to have more reference material for them.

Fhaolan
2007-02-14, 03:31 PM
If nothing else, it's a good read. It is kinda geared towards a Celtic Age d20 game, rather than D&D, and it was written using the 3.0 ruleset, so it takes a tiny bit of conversion to make it work.

I'd say it's worth getting if you're going to have the whole Seelie/Unseelie thing going on beyond a one-shot adventure.