PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help picking a metamagic feat

rockdeworld
2014-05-09, 12:43 PM
I've reached level 5 in PFS, and am looking at metamagic. I don't know that I have much use for it right now, because I already have a Lesser Rod of Extend, so I'm open to recommendations. Reach seems good for its versatility, and Persist seems good for Grease, etc. My build:
Teleporter 5 with Evoc/Ench barred.
Not a shadowcaster.
Int 21 +2 headband = 23
SF: Conjuration (because PFS), Improved Init, Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning, [metamagic feat TBD]
Traits: Reactionary, Tomb Raider (Perception)

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-09, 01:40 PM
Do you have either of the traits that reduce metamagic costs by -1 level adjustment for a specific spell?

Dazing (+3) and Persistent (+2) are the best matamagic feats pathfinder added to the game, but they're quite pricy without help. Bouncing Spell (+1) is more affordable, it lets you use a swift to re-direct a single target spell w/ no effect on a successful save to a new target if the first made his save. Reach is also good for the versatility. Selective Spell is awesome and only a +1, but for some stupid reason you need to be 10th level to take it, so it's easier to just buy a rod.

You should consider using your level 5 feat on a wizard discovery, though. Fast Study can be really helpful, leave slots open and fill them in just a minute when you need something. Multimorph is good if you use polymorph spells on yourself much. Opposition Research is awesome, but has to wait till level 10.

rockdeworld
2014-05-09, 09:02 PM
Do you have either of the traits that reduce metamagic costs by -1 level adjustment for a specific spell?
I do not, and added that to the OP. Instead I focused on init and perception for this build.

Similarly, I don't toss around SoDs (and my SoSs so far are Grease, Color Spray, Glitterdust, Create Pit, Mad Monkeys), so I'm not sure Bouncing Spell would work for me.

I think PFS mechanics render Fast Study pretty much moot, and I don't polymorph myself much. I totally agree with Opposition Research and Selective Spell - those would be my first choice if I could get them.

Hmm. On second thought though, being on-the-spot with spell preparation seems like a win. I'm not crazy about metamagic yet, so I'll try out Fast Study and see how it goes. Thanks man.