Level: Wiz 1-9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Ranged Touch Attack
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Unusually, this spell takes up two prepared spell slots. This spell can be prepared at any level (1-9). When cast upon another preparatory spellcaster, the spell attempts to steal a prepared spell from the spellcaster's mind. Should the other spellcaster fail their save, a randomly selected prepared spell of the same level as the mnemonic procurer is erased from the subject's mind and placed in the caster's mind instead (a net loss of one prepared spell slot on both sides). If the spell is prohibited to the caster, the caster cannot cast the spell he has stolen. This spell is ineffective upon spontaneous spellcasters such as bards or sorcerers.

Thoughts? Comments? Blind, seething hatred? All are welcome! In particular, should this one be shifted to levels 2-9 and only be able to affect spells one level lower than prepared?

Wizard_Tom
2007-02-12, 01:41 PM
Well personally, I think the spell is a little weak right now. It's a touch attack, that allows a save, and takes two slots. I'd say at least one of those restrictions should be dropped. I personally recommend the touch attack, and just allow it to affect someone within line of sight.

Duke of URL
2007-02-12, 02:08 PM
What if the target has no available spells at the specified level? Does the caster get a random spell from one level lower (repeat until all possibilities exhausted) or does the spell simply fail?

I also agree with making the range short, rather than touch.

Also, rather than preparing a "blank" slot, consider just allowing the caster to sacrifice any prepared slot of the Procurer's prepared slot or lower at the time of casting -- the spell level to "procure" would be based on the sacrificed slot.

While I can see why spontaneous spellcasters might be immune, from a mechanics standpoint it seems slightly unbalancing to not include them, unless you have a similar spell in mind to add for them.

If you want to include spontaneous casters, maybe something like: "drains spell energy from spontaneous casters, allowing you to cast the spell and reducing the target's spell per day at the specified level by one; the target also temporarily forgets the spell and as such cannot cast the 'procured' spell for 1d4 + ( caster level / 2 ) rounds"

Fax Celestis
2007-02-12, 02:30 PM
You might want to look at the Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=1)'s Steal Spell mechanic. This is remarkably similar.