PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder- Monk Vow of Poverty...

ArendK
2014-05-09, 03:01 PM
I know, I know. Monk is not the greatest class in the world.

But I'm looking at the Vow of Poverty, and I'm confused by the wording...

"The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—a simple set of clothing, a pair of sandals or shoes, a bowl, a sack, a blanket, and any one other item. Five of these items must be of plain and simple make, though one can be of some value (often an heirloom of great personal significance to the monk). "

What exactly is meant by "some value"? Is that the one item that the monk is allowed to own with some snap and can dump his entire WBL into?

Renen
2014-05-09, 03:05 PM
No. Its an item thats mostly ordinary, but IS fancy enough to not be allowed by WoP.

So like they said a heirloom. Not a +5 vorpal sword.

ArendK
2014-05-09, 03:07 PM
Just wondering how other interpreted that one. Honestly, depending on the optimization of the group, I'd almost allow the "1 item of actual value" ruling.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-05-09, 03:10 PM
I go with the 'one actually valuable item' ruling, for allowing some maneuverability. I prefer the VoP for NPC monks. For example, I am putting it on an imprisoned Trox monk for the PCs to ally with, along with several other Vows.

Ssalarn
2014-05-09, 03:11 PM
It's a bit of a tricky one since they left it so vague. I distinctly recall a player comboing it with the Heirloom Weapon trait once upon a time and then constantly having his heirloom sansetsukon upgraded by the party crafter. I am 100% certain that was going against the RAI, but it's pretty much a GM discretion thing.

ArendK
2014-05-09, 03:15 PM
Again, I defer to my original statement; if the monk is outshone in everything, then might as well toss him a bone...Though a qinggong monk with all that ki could get scary...

Gemini476
2014-05-09, 03:17 PM
Word of SKR was that you could dump your entire WBL into that one item.
Which is completely stupid, of course, and goes against the entire theme of the thing. But SKR hated the entire archetype of Vows giving you supernatural power, so yeah.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-05-09, 03:21 PM
I think it makes sense. The monk who spends his entire adventuring career not talking, not lying, carrying only single magic item should be scarier than the average non-archetype monk.

eggynack
2014-05-09, 03:32 PM
Pretty sure there's no limit on the item's power. I'm not entirely sure how you're supposed to obtain this ultra-item, as you presumably don't have any gold to get an upgrade, but if you can manage to arbitrarily find something awesome, or get the ultra-item prior to VoP, or skirt the issue by some other method, then go ahead. I mean, really, the item had better be amazing. PF VoP is completely horrible, with the only saving grace being that one item.

shaggy1987
2014-12-02, 07:53 PM
you know ther are Heirloom Items?
It's vaguely described, but its there.

why would they word it as possesions and not as own or property?
do they consider other things not to be possesions?

I was wondering about the seconde part of the vow.

The monk taking a vow of poverty must never... ... ...significance to the monk). The monk can never keep more money or wealth on his person than he needs to feed, bathe, and shelter himself for 1 week in modest accommodations. does a waterskin, soap and Trail Rations count towards the six possessions or towards the money and wealth for the 1 week or are one or more of them to fancy for this vow?