PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magic Item Consolidation: THE ONE RING!

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-05-09, 03:07 PM
I was reading the section of the PF rule book:

Adding New Abilities

Sometimes, lack of funds or time make it impossible for a magic item crafter to create the desired item from scratch. Fortunately, it is possible to enhance or build upon an existing magic item. Only time, gold, and the various prerequisites required of the new ability to be added to the magic item restrict the type of additional powers one can place.

The cost to add additional abilities to an item is the same as if the item was not magical, less the value of the original item. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 longsword.

If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character's body, the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Now, this essentially means, for a crafter, you can make an item that has the abilities of multiple items (i.e. a phylactery of channeling that also increases wisdom) by having the base item, then adding new abilities for 75% market price. This would mean that an enterprising wizard with Forge Ring could have his, say, Ring of Wizardry I with rings of Sustenance, Counterspells and Forcefangs (provides immunity to Force spells) for the effective price of 16,875 GP. Less than a base Ring of Wizardry II. I came up with this when theorycrafting for a Mythic character, who would basically have the One Ring at his command, so I really only looked at rings. What other stuff could this method be used for?

Slipperychicken
2014-05-09, 07:36 PM
Also make it an item familiar and pour into it your cruelty, malice, and will to dominate all life your XP, spell slots, and skill points.

grarrrg
2014-05-09, 09:30 PM
also make it an item familiar and pour into it your cruelty, malice, and will to dominate all life your xp, spell slots, and skill points.

*psssst! Pathfinder! Things don't cost xp anymore!!*

Slipperychicken
2014-05-09, 09:34 PM
*psssst! Pathfinder! Things don't cost xp anymore!!*

I took a bit too much Int damage today, and didn't look at the PF bit.

da_chicken
2014-05-09, 09:46 PM
Also make it an item familiar and pour into it your cruelty, malice, and will to dominate all life your XP, spell slots, and skill points.

And a lich could make one it's phylactery.

Raven777
2014-05-09, 10:34 PM
My Staff of Wish gets potentially more pimped day by day :P

Erik Vale
2014-05-09, 11:13 PM
Yes, Money + Unlim Time = Items of Everything. Also note tattoo slots [basically everything but eyes, headbands, armor] giving you more slots for a different feat.

However this isn't particularly new as it's present in 3.5 MIC, it's just there's one less thing to consider [A XP loop/cost reduction].

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-05-10, 08:26 AM
But in class guides and whatnot, I always see arguments for what item is best for what slot, when it's possible to have both!

SinsI
2014-05-10, 08:55 AM
But in class guides and whatnot, I always see arguments for what item is best for what slot, when it's possible to have both!

Cost effectiveness. Don't forget that you are wasting 50% of the item cost.