PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Prestige Classes in Pathfinder?

Rossebay
2014-05-09, 06:50 PM
So I'm playing in a Pathfinder-only campaign, and I'm running a tanky barbarian with a couple of fighter levels.

I'm not sure where to look for prestige classes. I'm open to the idea of picking up a spellcasting class if there's a way to combine that with barbarian. Beyond that, anything that's damage-mitigating or damage-oriented is perfectly fine, as long as it's better than vanilla barbarian.

p.s. really interested in that spellcaster idea.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-05-09, 06:55 PM
Your best option that I can think of is Invulnerable Rager, a Barbarian archetype that increases the DR/- to 1/2 barbarian level. If this was 3.5 there would be better answers... Dreamscarred Press is releasing the Path of War soon, so the Warder might be up your alley.

Ellowryn
2014-05-09, 07:02 PM
The only Barbarian/Caster PrC i can think of is the Rage Prophet from the APG. Requires only one level of Oracle to get in, 7/10 caster progression, and increases your curses and rage powers but does not give any new ones, or give you more rage rounds. The big stick of the class is the ability to cast cure spells and buffs on yourself while raging. Overall kinda bad, but it is what you asked for.

Firebug
2014-05-09, 07:29 PM
Alchemist?

I am currently running an Urban Barbarian 1/Grenadier Alchemist 3 in PF Society. Controlled Rage + Mutagen is pretty awesome when I can be a ranged or melee between tables. Being able to buff myself (extracts, mutagen) and heal during downtime (cure wounds on list) really helps too. Angelkin Aasimar, so at level 2 with a little prep-time I was able to sit at 30 strength for the encounter (18 str, Controlled Rage +4, Mutagen +4, Enlarge Person +2, Alter Self +2). The only issue I am having right now is that I only have 5 rounds of rage for the day.

I think my favorite moment was when I crit a Mythic Behir for ~70 damage at level 3 with a Lucerne Hammer. And I wasn't raging.

Kudaku
2014-05-09, 07:44 PM
The advanced class guide (ACG) will be released in august this year and it'll contain a class called the Blood Rager - it mixes sorcerer and barbarian. The ACG play test PDF, with a version of the Bloodrager, can be downloaded (for free) here (http://paizo.com/products/btpy92zi?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Advanced-Class-Guide-Playtest).

Alternately there are some interesting options available. The Ulfen Guard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/ulfen-guard) is a nice option if you're human. The Rage Prophet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/rage-prophet) is all about combining the oracle and the barbarian, though I have to say I find it somewhat underwhelming.

Urpriest
2014-05-09, 09:27 PM
Remember, unless you're doing a Theurge-type (which others have given you advice for) you're not supposed to use Prestige Classes in PF, as that's what Archetypes are for.

grarrrg
2014-05-09, 09:29 PM
as long as it's better than vanilla barbarian.

This is Pathfinder. "vanilla" Barbarian is a perfectly fine choice. Although French Vanilla (add Archetypes) is better.

If you absolutely insist on adding something, then stay away from Rage Prophet. It's really not that good.
The Alchemist option is pretty solid, recommend you go with Vivisectionist archetype for the Sneak Attack.

My recommendation if really want casting: dip a level of Bard or Sorcerer and go Dragon Disciple. Sorcerer offers better casting, but then you worry about Spell Failure in armor, Bard has worse casting, but no worries in Light armor.

Rossebay
2014-05-09, 10:45 PM
Huh.

Then, should I bother dipping fighter for a level (it's for Power Attack, unfortunately) or should I hold off on that for earlier barbarian abilities?

The Sorcerer into DD idea intrigues me. Rage Prophet IS pretty underwhelming, I agree. Which is really unfortunate...

Could I not run Cabalist magus into DD? That way, spell failure isn't SUCH an issue, and if I take 2 magus levels first, I'm looking at Spellstrike and Spell Combat with the magus spell list, which isn't too shabby.

grarrrg
2014-05-09, 11:22 PM
Could I not run Cabalist magus into DD? That way, spell failure isn't SUCH an issue, and if I take 2 magus levels first, I'm looking at Spellstrike and Spell Combat with the magus spell list, which isn't too shabby.

If 3rd party is on the table, then sure, go for it.

Otherwise Arcane Duelist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/arcane-duelist) Bard, Archaeologist Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist), or Dawnflower Dervish are decent enough.
Arcane Duelist for Arcane Strike feat at 1st and Combat Casting feat at 2nd.
Archaeologist for "Inspire Self" that gives Luck bonuses. 2nd level gives Uncanny Dodge (which if you don't have Improved from Barb yet will give you Improved).
Dawnflower Dervish gives Dervish Dance as a bonus feat (which is probably not what you came for...), the draw here is that Inspire Courage only affects you, but with double bonuses.

For Sorcerer, my first recommendation would be either a Haramaki, or Armored Kilt. Both are Light Armors with 0% Arcane Failure.