PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Nova Attempts - a Longtooth Shifter Barbarian|Ranger/Moonstalker/Eternal Seeker

GPuzzle
2014-05-09, 07:40 PM
Specializing in multi-attacks (and boy, there's a lot of multiattacks in this) and what MC-Drowbane calls a "Solar Flare" (a Nova without a setup round), this build features a simple strategy.

Knock the enemy prone, and use that to your advantage with your +2d6+18 damage... that stacks with Bloody Cheese's (with Belt of Titan Strength, Light Blade Expertise, Longtooth Shifting and Iron Armbands of Power and the enchantment) for another +3d6+27 damage, for a whopping total of +5d6+45 damage per attack, not counting Strength...

For the multiattacks, he has Rain of Blows and Hurricane of Blades, with Haste and Rune of the Hero's Resolve to actually make all the attacks he needs to. Oh, and Torc of Power Preservation for two uses of Hurricane of Blades.

Level 30:

Race: Longtooth Shifter
Class: Barbarian|Fighter
Paragon Path: Moonstalker
Epic Destiny: Eternal Seeker
Seeking Destiny: Bountiful Seconds

Strength 28
Constitution 14
Dexteritry 16
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 20
Charisma 12

AC 44
Fortitude 45
Reflex 44
Will 42

Feats
L1-Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
L2-Weapon Proficiency (Double Sword)
L4-Power Attack
L6-Light Blade Expertise
L8-Improved Defenses
L10-Headsman's Chop
L11-Reserve Manuever (Ruffling Sting)
L12-Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
L14-Hybrid Talent (Prime Shot)
L16-Prime Punisher
L18-Called Shot
L20-Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at 21)
L21-Martial Mastery
L22-Rending Tempest
L24-Vistani Foresight
L26-Monastic Disciple
L28-Epic Reflexes
L30-Quick Draw

At-Will
L1-Howling Strike
L1-Twin Strike

Encounter
L11-Ruffling Sting
L13-Storm of Blades
L23-Nonchalant Collapse
L27-Hurricane of Blades

Daily
L25-Blade Cascade

Utility
L2-Begin the Hunt
L22-Haste
L26-Rune of the Hero's Resolve

Items
Charm of Abundant Action
+1 Blood Fury Hand Axe
+6 Battlecrazed Double Sword
Iron Armbands of Power (Epic Tier)
Eye of Awareness
Boots of Caiphon
Belt of Titan Strength
Gauntlets of Brutality
+6 Dwarven Spiritmail Armor
+6 Torc of Power Preservation
Ring of Free Time

The Nova:

No Action: Begin the Hunt (tag enemy as Quarry, gain a +2 attack bonus versus him)
Move: Move to enemy
Minor: Item Encounter Power: Blood Fury Hand Axe
Minor: Longtooth Shifting
ACTION POINT
Free Action: Belt of Titan Strength
Free Action: Ring of Free Time
Minor Action: Nonchalant Collapse: (+39 vs Fort, 2d8+3d6+50 damage, average 69,5)
Minor Action: Haste
Standard Action granted by Haste: Storm of Blades: (+41 vs AC, 2d8+5d6+65 damage, three attacks, average 91,5 damage per attack, total 274,5 damage)
Minor Action: Rune of the Hero's Resolve
Standard Action granted by Rune of the Hero's Resolve: Blade Cascade: (+41 vs AC, 3d8+5d6+65 damage, five attacks, average 96 damage per attack, total 480 damage)
Standard Action: Hurricane of Blades: (+41 vs AC, 3d8+5d6+65 damage, four attacks, average 96 damage per attack, total 384 damage)
Free Action: Torc of Power Preservation (regain Hurricane of Blades)
Free Action: Draw Charm of Abundant Action
Free Action: Charm of Abundant Action (spend another Action Point)
ACTION POINT
(regain Nonchalant Collapse via Martial Mastery)
Minor Action: Ruffling Sting: (+41 vs AC, 2d8+5d6+65 damage, total 91,5 damage)
Minor Action: Nonchalant Collapse: (+41 vs Fort, 3d8+5d6+65 damage, total 96 damage)
Standard Action: Hurricane of Blades: (+41 vs AC, 3d8+5d6+65 damage, four attacks, average 96 damage per attack, total 384 damage)
Stone Fist Flurry of Blows: 12 damage
Hunter's Quarry: 3d6 damage, average 10,5 damage

Total damage:
52d8+96d6+1222 damage or 52*(8+1)/2+96*(6+1)/2+1222 damage or 234+336+1222 damage or 1792 damage.

Well, that was my attempt at Nova, and I'm not exactly sure if it was good or not.

EDIT: Remade the build as a Ranger|Barbarian. The build is now put into Godslayer tier: a build is considered a Godslayer if it has "the ability to churn up enough raw damage to drop any Solo, which at this moment means putting out the 1,645 to take out the Old Man with the Canaries", as LDB describes in MC-Drowbane's Deadly Little Miho.

GPuzzle
2014-05-09, 09:51 PM
Disregard the build - made some mistakes, and I will update the build tommorrow.

GPuzzle
2014-05-10, 07:11 AM
Build has been updated. Nova is better, more damaging, and switched from Barbarian|Fighter to Barbarian|Ranger.

MrUberGr
2014-05-10, 10:00 AM
Yup the nova is... good. A buddy is already considering into changing his char to this.

He'd like to ask this build's DPR, as well as after what level does he pick up to alot of damage?

A suggestion for the build, you could write the powers down from lvl 1 to 30, so it's easier to start it in between.
---
or is it not meant to be a build, just a nova calculation?

GPuzzle
2014-05-10, 07:31 PM
Well, first, the build comes to a high level of damage output on its own by level 23, which is when it picks up Nonchalant Collapse (and it can recharge it with an Action Point), allowing for two great burst of damage. However, if the party optimizes for proning enemies, this build can get a free +1d6 damage at 11 or +1d6+Wis by 16. That said, the party must have decent proning fuctions - otherwise, the build sort of falls flat in that regard.

DPR will be added soon. Since it has both Howling Strike and Twin Strike, it is very damaging early on due to a mix of charge and double attacks.

And I'm planning to build it from level 1 to level 30, I don't actually have the character builder which just makes everything that much harder for me.

GPuzzle
2014-05-10, 07:45 PM
or is it not meant to be a build, just a nova calculation?

It's both.

It was an experiment in a Nova, since that's completely new territory for me.

But - I'm always trying to optimize for normal play decisions. Most of the time, you'll need your party. Radiant Mafias work because they deal so much freaking damage together. And since Prone is such a normal condition, get your party to optimize around it. You'll do better and they'll do better. This build is decent on its own before level 23, but if your party is optimize for proning enemies (for example, a Polearm Momentum build), this build will truly shine.