PDA

View Full Version : A Few Quick Ranger Spells -- For the Slaying!

wayfare
2014-05-09, 08:15 PM
Hey All:

I recently made a homebrewed ranger with accelerated casting (casting starts at 2, level 3 spells by 10), and now I am brewing up some spells that I hope might allow it to compete with the ToB types. Feedback is greatly appreciated, as I'll be testing these out in a session tomorrow:

Briar Shot
You cause the shaft of any bolts or arrows you fire to sprout a tangle of thorns and vines on impact, rending and entangling your foe.
Level: Ranger 1, Druid 2
Components: V
Casting Time: Swift
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1 round
Effect: For the duration of this spell, any attack you make with a wooden arrow or bolt inflicts +1 damage/caster level. Opponents who take damage from these arrows have their speed halved for 1 round.

Focused Shot
Your world narrows to a single target.
Level: Ranger 1
Casting Time: Move
Duration: 1 round
Effect: Choose a single opponent within the first range increment of your weapon when casting this spell. Until this spell expires, any successful ranged attack you make against that target inflicts +2d6 damage. If you are attacking an opponent at 1/2 health or less, maximize the damage inflicted by these attacks.

Peregrine Dive
You fire an arrow at the heavens, only to have it fall to the earth with the power and precision of a diving raptor.
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard
Duration: Instant
Effect: Make a ranged attack against an opponent within your first range increment. Your opponent is treated as flat-footed against this attack, which inflicts double normal weapon damage.

Deadeye
You fire a shot that is certain to find its mark.
Casting Time: Immediate
Duration: Instant
Effect: You may cast this spell before making an attack to maximize your d20 roll. Casting Deadeye in this way does not threaten a critical.
Alternatively, you may cast this spell after attacking to automatically confirm a critical you threaten.

more forthcoming