PDA

View Full Version : The supernatural and creature types, help wanted

InaVegt
2007-02-12, 12:52 PM
In my campaign I'm brewing for my home group (I'm up as DM after the current campaign ends) I like to create affiliations between creature types and certain forms of special abilities.

Monstrous humanoids: The sublime way
Giants: Pact magic
Abberations: Psionics
Outsiders: clerical magic
Dragons: arcane magic
Fey: druidic magic
Constructs: true naming
Undead: as the type they're originally from
Magical beasts: incarnum
Animals/plants/vermin/humanoids/ooze: no native special abilities

However I can't find any reasonable stuff for elementals, and they are sufficiently magical in appearnce that I want them to have a native type of special abilities. Do any of you have got any ideas?

Archaicwonder
2007-02-12, 12:54 PM
You could set up some sort of dichotomy of Arcane magic...elementals do it one way (oh say along elemental lines) and then dragons have a completely different style and hate elementals....Sometime in the ancient past dragons where more elemental, perhaps stole magic from the Elemental gods...or vice versa...

just an idea

Lapak
2007-02-12, 01:07 PM
Give them an affinity for Transmutation in all its forms, on the argument that both in an of themselves it applies (as they have no set form, but constantly re-create one out of the elements they are composed of) and that the primary effect that raw elements have on other things is transformative (fire melts and burns, water dissolves and dissipates, earth compresses and nurtures, air erodes and rearranges.)

So give them a natural affinity for transformative magic, crossing the arcane/divine boundary as far as spell list goes but actually implementing through raw elemental creation.