PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New to DnD, need some guidance!

Sizznix
2014-05-10, 01:37 AM
So first of all i should say, i have always had the longing to play DnD. But due to circumstance i could never find a local game being in such a small community that is :/. After having ran into this forum i realized i could play online (what a surprise right). As it stands now, i have very limited knowledge of the game, but i do know i would like to play DnD 3.5. Is there any vets that would take a young fledgling such as myself and show me the way so to speak? I would need help on character building, the rules of the game, all that fun stuff. Even down to the terminology i see on these forums. This is more of a cry for help and i would greatly be obliged to anyone who can help me out. I would really love to experience what DnD has to offer.

Val666
2014-05-10, 01:43 AM
As for how to build a character and the rules of a player, you should read the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook.

You can learn nearly everything you need to know for a standard game. Look over races and clases, choose the ones you like and comeback here for optimization,flavor and very good tips.

Meh..the link above didnt worked. Just type D&D Players Handbook 3.5 and download it (:

Sizznix
2014-05-10, 01:50 AM
Thanks very much val!

JeminiZero
2014-05-10, 01:54 AM
You might want to browse through the Notable threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?124685). In particular, the list of common abbreviations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?18512) might be a good place to look for the basic terms.

I also highly recommend the Silverclawshift archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) as a shining example of what D&D at its best can be.

The basic rules of D&D are available online for free on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/). So you can read that first to get a basic idea, and then ask questions if there is anything you are unsure of.

If you want some idea on how to build something in particular, the best way is to read the appropriate handbook (just google the Class name and add 'handbook' at the back).

And welcome to the Playground. :smallsmile:

ryu
2014-05-10, 01:57 AM
I would also recommend searching out the list of necessary magic items. It will prevent a lot of Bad Things from happening accidentally during play.

Adverb
2014-05-10, 02:53 AM
Sizznix, a very important question - what kind of fun are you looking to have?

Malroth
2014-05-10, 03:36 AM
For a first character I reccomend avoiding both the lowest tier characters (Fighter, Monk) as well as the Highest Tier ones (Wizard, Cleric, Druid)

ryu
2014-05-10, 04:14 AM
For a first character I reccomend avoiding both the lowest tier characters (Fighter, Monk) as well as the Highest Tier ones (Wizard, Cleric, Druid)

Depends on what his group is playing. Warblades and other similar classes may either be entirely to competent for his group or behind the curve in a significant way. The most important thing to do for class recommendations on a newbie is to find out exactly what the group composition is, ask what sort of flavor is desired as a first time character, recommend within the average of the group tiers to suit that flavor, and link to a practical guidebook which will teach any relevant tactics, and how to play the class to its potential without going overboard. Basically until we know what kinda group he's rolling with we have no idea what's going to be a proper thing to bring to table.

Inevitability
2014-05-10, 06:35 AM
For a first character, get something with a decent range of options, but make sure to always have a 'default' one to fall back on. I'm sure someone here can name a class that captures the above exactly.

Urpriest
2014-05-10, 07:39 AM
For a first character, get something with a decent range of options, but make sure to always have a 'default' one to fall back on. I'm sure someone here can name a class that captures the above exactly.

In general, I advise Warblades for melee and Beguilers for casting. Both have a good list of options without a lot of hard choices to make, and both have fairly intuitive mechanics, though Illusion is admittedly kind of a pain.

Occasionally there are newbie games in the PbP section. If you find one of those, the DM should be willing to help you and the other players out in learning the ropes. There's only so much folks here can teach you in the abstract, a lot of D&D is learned while playing if you have a competent DM.

Zweisteine
2014-05-10, 01:15 PM
Unless you really want only the basics. If you just want to learn how combat works at the lowest level of complexity, Fighter is the perfect choice. And it take little effort to assemble.

Human Fighter 1
Abilities (elite array): Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
HP 12
AC 16 (+4 armor, +2 dex)
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1
Attack: Greatsword +4 (2d6+2, 19-20/x2, plus power attack)
Attack: Sling +2 (1d4+2, x2, 50 ft)
Skills: Jump +2, Climb +2, Spot +3
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (greatsword)
Equipment: Scale Mail, Greatsword, Sling, 20 bullets, 3 torches, 100 ft hemp rope (knotted to 75 feet), grappling hook, backpack, bedroll, some trail rations, a waterskin or two...

Adverb
2014-05-15, 04:23 PM
I also highly recommend the Silverclawshift archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) as a shining example of what D&D at its best can be.

Five days later, I have put that and Kaveman26's big journal in my sig and I can do other things with my life again.

Thanks a lot, JeminiZero.

Shining Wrath
2014-05-15, 06:31 PM
Second the motion about the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

You need to understand the following concepts which you can find there:
The idea of the combat round and initiative.
Saving throws.
Base attack bonus and armor class.
Look at a random selection of first level spells for wizards / sorcerers and clerics. Get an idea of how a spell works.

The basic "roll D20, add your bonuses and / or penalties, compare to the target set by the DM and / or the rules" mechanism is just that simple. Someone else can help you figure out your bonuses and penalties at the start, but soon you'll be a whiz.